Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
whenever something big happens with i/p i am like "ok this time i will start from wherever the thread is, and keep up with it" then i get back from work and there are like 500 posts and i just sorta sigh and read the freep thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
How do you pronounce "juche"?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
tɕutɕʰe

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A&W restaurants are awesome. There is nothing better than eating a burger and a root beer float served to you on a tray hanging off your car's door window. But there's a reason that there aren't many of them left.

quote:

One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.

:negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
americans: dumb as all hell, even concerning burgers

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just had a university senior in my class try to add 1/R + 1/R and she got 1/2R. Did it casually and right in front of me as if it were not even in question.

:eng99:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
That's even more sad then being the only guy in a room of ~20 college graduates who is able to do longform divisions.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
good posters use proper spelling and grammar and a lack of capital letters. it's how people can tell you're a good poster with correct opinions without having to check the name against the "good posters" list.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

A&W restaurants are awesome. There is nothing better than eating a burger and a root beer float served to you on a tray hanging off your car's door window. But there's a reason that there aren't many of them left.

:negative:

...everything is clear now.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tony Jowns posted:

good posters use proper spelling and grammar and a lack of capital letters. it's how people can tell you're a good poster with correct opinions without having to check the name against the "good posters" list.

:catstare: Every goddamn time...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ISIS is so cool now they're instituting female circumcision in the parts of Iraq they control. I got a regressive medieval theocracy bingo!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

ISIS is so cool now they're instituting female circumcision in the parts of Iraq they control. I got a regressive medieval theocracy bingo!

Every time someone says "Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi" I just want to add "Codename: Duchess."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Randler posted:

That's even more sad then being the only guy in a room of ~20 college graduates who is able to do longform divisions.

Euclid's Algorithm owns, too. :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know if I'm looking forward to this movie more because it looks funny or because of the apoplexy it's going to put the right wing media into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJhmqLU0so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I skip over tons of pages in the I/P thread and yet it's like I skip none at all. :smith:

Same. :smith::hf::smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The weird thing about the I/P thread is that there is always one and exactly one Hasbara dude in there at a time with the same arguments and then they leave and another immediately appears.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zoux posted:

So do you think the Tea Party is unique or is it just another nativist ultraconservative movement ala Goldwater or The John Birch Society or the Know-Nothing Party?

Charles Koch is a Bircher. Finally saw it confirmed in stuff on "Sons of Wichita", if you need a link to the article, I can dig it up.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a good deal of Teabaggers were blood descendants of those who joined the John Birch Society in the 50s and/or the KKK in the 20s

Fred Koch, the father, was a founding member of JBS. He has a bio page on the JBS website.

Edit: I think it's fair to say one (JBS) begat the other (Tea Party).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
One of my co-workers had an interesting Freudian slip yesterday when talking about over-population.

"I think we should thin the hood".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

The weird thing about the I/P thread is that there is always one and exactly one Hasbara dude in there at a time with the same arguments and then they leave and another immediately appears.

time is cyclical

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

One of my co-workers had an interesting Freudian slip yesterday when talking about over-population.

"I think we should thin the hood".

so he's obsessed with female circumcision?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Hello from Israel

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

midnightclimax posted:

Hello from Israel

whats it like there?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
another day, another mass casualty aviation incident

quote:

REFILE-UPDATE 5-Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed - Algerian official
7:36pm IST
(Refiles to fix grammar in paragraph 2)
* Air Algerie jet went missing en route to Algiers
* Burkino Faso says jet asked to change course due to storm
* Passenger list includes 50 French citizens
By Hamid Ould Ahmed
ALGIERS, July 24 (Reuters) - An Air Algerie flight crashed on Thursday en route from Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso to Algiers with 110 passengers on board, an Algerian aviation official said.
There were few clear indications of what might have happened to the aircraft, or whether there were casualties, but Burkino Faso Transport Minister Jean Bertin Ouedrago said it asked to change route at 0138 GMT because of a storm in the area.
"I can confirm that it has crashed," the Algerian official told Reuters, declining to be identified or give any details about what had happened to the aircraft on its way north.
Almost half of the passengers were French citizens, an airline official said.

Two French fighter jets based in the region have been dispatched to try to locate the airliner along its probable route, a French army spokesman said. Niger security sources said planes were flying over the border region with Mali to search for the flight.
Algeria's state news agency APS said authorities lost contact with flight AH 5017 an hour after it took off from Burkina Faso, but other officials gave differing accounts of the times of contact, adding to confusion about the plane's fate.
Swiftair, the private Spanish company that owns the plane, confirmed it had lost contact with the MD-83 operated by Air Algerie, which it said was carrying 110 passengers and six crew.
A diplomat in the Malian capital Bamako said that the north of the country - which lies on the plane's likely flight path - was struck by a powerful sandstorm overnight.
Whatever the cause, another plane crash is likely to add to nerves in the industry after a Malaysia Airlines plane was downed over Ukraine last week, a TransAsia Airways crashed off Taiwan during a thunderstorm on Wednesday and airlines cancelled flights into Tel Aviv due to the conflict in Gaza.
An Air Algerie representative in Burkina Faso, Kara Terki, told a news conference that all the passengers on the plane were in transit, either for Europe, the Middle East or Canada.
He said the passenger list included 50 French, 24 Burkinabe, eight Lebanese, four Algerians, two from Luxembourg, one Belgian, one Swiss, one Nigerian, one Cameroonian, one Ukrainian and one Romanian. Lebanese officials said there were at least 10 Lebanese citizens on the flight.
A spokeswoman for SEPLA, Spain's pilots union, said the six crew were from Spain. She could not give any further details.

REGIONAL SEARCH
Swiftair said on its website the aircraft took off from Burkina Faso at 0117 GMT and was supposed to land in Algiers at 0510 GMT but never reached its destination.
An Algerian aviation official said the last contact Algerian authorities had with the missing Air Algerie aircraft was at 0155 GMT when it was flying over Gao, Mali.
Aviation authorities in Burkina say they handed the flight to the control tower in Niamey, Niger, at 1:38 a.m. (0138 GMT). They said the last contact with the flight was just after 4:30 a.m. (0330 GMT).
Burkina Faso minister Ouedrago said the flight asked the control tower in Niamey to change route at 0138 GMT because of a storm in the Sahara.
However, a source in the control tower in Niamey, who declined to be identified, said it had not been contacted by the plane, which in theory should have flown over Mali.
Burkinabe authorities have set up a crisis unit in Ouagadougou airport to provide information to families.
Issa Saly Maiga, head of Mali's National Civil Aviation Agency, said that a search was under way for the missing flight.
"We do not know if the plane is Malian territory," he told Reuters. "Aviation authorities are mobilised in all the countries concerned - Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Algeria and even Spain."
Aviation websites said the missing aircraft, one of four MD-83s owned by Swiftair, was 18-years-old. The aircraft's two engines are made by Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies.
U.S. planemaker McDonnell Douglas, now part of Boeing , stopped producing the MD-80 airliner family in 1999 but it remains in widespread use. According to British consultancy Flightglobal Ascend, there are 482 MD-80 aircraft in operation, many of them in the United States.
"Boeing is aware of the report (on the missing aircraft). We are awaiting additional information," a spokesman for the planemaker said.
Swiftair has a relatively clean safety record, with five accidents since 1977, two of which caused a total of eight deaths, according to the Washington-based Flight Safety Foundation.
Air Algerie's last major accident was in 2003 when one of its planes crashed shortly after take-off from the southern city of Tamanrasset, killing 102 people. In February this year, 77 people died when an Algerian military transport plane crashed into a mountain in eastern Algeria.

(Additional reporting by Patrick Markey, Daniel Flynn, David Lewis, Mathieu Bonkoungou, Julien Toyer, Tracy Rucinski, Laila Bassam, Marine Pennetier and Tim Hepher; Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Alison Williams)

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate flying and it scares me a bit tbqh.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Miltank posted:

whats it like there?

Well I'm in the middle of the Negev desert, not a highly attractive target for rockets. That being said, yesterday I was in Elat and mistook a shooting star for a rocket, couple seconds of scare. Otherwise it's pretty peaceful. We're very removed from the conflict in the north.

Edit: there's more things I would like to say, but writing on a tablet is a pita

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What do the people think? Like what do you see on facebook or the news?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you on a birthright tour :toughguy:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

zoux posted:

courtesy this masterpiece of a blog http://birthrightphotos.tumblr.com/

e: i was digging up photos from my time in nablus (north-central west bank) and found a decent landscape photo i took c.2008. view from window in my apartment

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 24, 2014

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Miltank posted:

What do the people think? Like what do you see on facebook or the news?

Depends who you ask. I've learned that even from those who consider themselves left, a bit of patriotism is to be expected. Choice quote from an american immigrant: "well I always said netanyahu is a fascist pig, but I believe right now what he's doing is for our defense. I hope the world will understand us better now that they've seen the tunnels." She also stopped watching CNN, because she feels it "makes us look like we're monsters."

zoux posted:

Nope, volunteering on a kibbutz. It's a pretty cool one, not privatised and still sticking to their anarchist origins.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

You may have heard of Megaphone!

zoux posted:

I don't know if I'm looking forward to this movie more because it looks funny or because of the apoplexy it's going to put the right wing media into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJhmqLU0so
White, mid-twenties director?

I ended up linked to yet another "# Things White People Should Know About Race" type article today explaining, in the usual manner, all about how privilege and so on. Got into it, very ethnocentrically American which is always a tip off. Written by a white college kid yet again. Because of course. There are no non-white people writing about race in America, heh.

EDIT: Except Coates (always forget how to spell his first name) who I actually do like to read.

zoux posted:

Women deserve access to circumcision as well. It's an equality thing, obviously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

midnightclimax posted:

Well I'm in the middle of the Negev desert, not a highly attractive target for rockets. That being said, yesterday I was in Elat and mistook a shooting star for a rocket, couple seconds of scare. Otherwise it's pretty peaceful. We're very removed from the conflict in the north.

Edit: there's more things I would like to say, but writing on a tablet is a pita

How's the Negev doing lately just in general? I had some family go that route for their Israel visit rather than do the more 'mainstream' (I guess) stuff up north, they hit Dimona (that's the city with all the Indian and African Jews and such right?) and a bunch of other places including Rahat. One of my aunts who went swears by that chunk of the nation as the 'real' Israel with all the different cultures and people (and, at least at the time they were over, a decent bit of bitterness about basically being used as props to say 'hey look how good the development towns are doing' and then ignored when they need support).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

White, mid-twenties director?

EDIT: Except Coates (always forget how to spell his first name) who I actually do like to read.
Women deserve access to circumcision as well. It's an equality thing, obviously.

Lol here are the threads on IMDB about it:

Lets make a movie called ' Dear Black people' and see what will happend!
Why is it OK to be racist against white people?
Seriously?!
What's with the rating ? [zouxnote: the rating is 4.0 and the movie isn't out yet]
No one gets it
This entire board is lost.

midnightclimax posted:

Nope, volunteering on a kibbutz. It's a pretty cool one, not privatised and still sticking to their anarchist origins.

Is it...is it full communism :allears:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He looks like a nice young man! I'll look him up and give it a fair shake.

EVEN WITH ALL THE REVERSE RACISM.

It's political correctness gone mad, Stu.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How's the Negev doing lately just in general? I had some family go that route for their Israel visit rather than do the more 'mainstream' (I guess) stuff up north, they hit Dimona (that's the city with all the Indian and African Jews and such right?) and a bunch of other places including Rahat. One of my aunts who went swears by that chunk of the nation as the 'real' Israel with all the different cultures and people (and, at least at the time they were over, a decent bit of bitterness about basically being used as props to say 'hey look how good the development towns are doing' and then ignored when they need support).

Yeah I think they no longer support the kibbutzim as they used too, meaning that most of them are privatised by now. But my view on this region is still very one-dimensional, apart from occasional trips to Elat, I don't get out much.

zoux posted:

As a matter of fact it's dinner time right now, and food is being served in the communal dining room. Also there's only one bank account, which everyone has access to. Plus you don't have to work, if you don't want to. (Also becoming a member takes something like two years, during which you're heavily scrutinised). Gotta run, laters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

midnightclimax posted:

Hello from Israel

מה קורה, אחי\אחותי?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah I think they no longer support the kibbutzim as they used too, meaning that most of them are privatised by now. But my view on this region is still very one-dimensional, apart from occasional trips to Elat, I don't get out much.

As a matter of fact it's dinner time right now, and food is being served in the communal dining room. Also there's only one bank account, which everyone has access to. Plus you don't have to work, if you don't want to. (Also becoming a member takes something like two years, during which you're heavily scrutinised). Gotta run, laters.

It's a shame to hear they've let so many of them fall, the tradition of kibbutzim has always been one of the most admirable to keep alive, and letting them fall to private whims is basically entirely going against it even if those interests are noble. Good on you working on one that's stayed true.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
The female genital mutilation story is not a true thing apparently.
http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/07/24/3463683/no-isis-isnt-ordering-female-genital-mutilation-in-iraq/

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Lol here are the threads on IMDB about it:

Lets make a movie called ' Dear Black people' and see what will happend!
Why is it OK to be racist against white people?
Seriously?!
What's with the rating ? [zouxnote: the rating is 4.0 and the movie isn't out yet]
No one gets it
This entire board is lost.

This movie has 4/10 on IMDB and 100% on rotten tomatoes. I wonder why there is such a disparity (no I don't I know why and so does everyone)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

This movie has 4/10 on IMDB and 100% on rotten tomatoes. I wonder why there is such a disparity (no I don't I know why and so does everyone)

Again, the movie isn't in release yet so no one on IMDB who is voting has seen it unless they were at Sundance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Again, the movie isn't in release yet so no one on IMDB who is voting has seen it unless they were at Sundance.

yeah i'm aware it's because the trailer didn't open with "tw: white privilege"

• Locked thread