Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stanos posted:

I got about a minute into skimming it and realize that somehow the director of revenue here hadn't considered price elasticity at all and just assumed "Charge more = MORE MONEY"

That's like, something I learned in Week 2 of Econ 101 buddy.

EDIT: I'm sorry, it's ~*~SaaS~*~ so obviously that doesn't apply. Digging that hole there in the comments.

Hey man, he's the directory of *revenue,* getting customers and sales is another guy's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He also forgot to take churn into account.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
My product is great! Revenues can only go up up up!

...what do you mean by 'diminishing returns' and 'user depreciation'?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Harry posted:

I saw this linkedin article today.

Justin Mares
Director of Revenue at Airbrake
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140722235610-67056463-why-real-businesses-don-t-charge-5-month?trk=tod-home-art-list-small_2

Been a while since I've seen the comments get so hostile towards someone.

What I find ironic is at work we are one of their first paying customers and are grandfathered into a plan that no longer exists that costs $9 a month.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Holy poo poo that article is amaaaaaazing.

If that's the kind of competence it takes to get a what-I-presume-to-be a very well paying job at a (startup?) then man, I am in the wrong business.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's almost like people use LinkedIn to spam bullshitty articles in attempt to increase page/profile views.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

totalnewbie posted:

Holy poo poo that article is amaaaaaazing.

If that's the kind of competence it takes to get a what-I-presume-to-be a very well paying job at a (startup?) then man, I am in the wrong business.

Ya, the guys analysis is overly simplistic, but I would point out that most startups don't even bother to think about pricing and its
impact. Testing price elasticity should pretty much be job #1 after getting your product live.
Most people don't realize how much impact even a 10% increase in bottom line revenue can impact LTV and the upstream acquisition channels it opens up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sure, but he should probably also include something like "DRAMATIZATION" so people can understand the real point of what he's trying to say, whereas now it just sounds like "raise your price by 3x and make 819x more!"

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

totalnewbie posted:

Sure, but he should probably also include something like "DRAMATIZATION" so people can understand the real point of what he's trying to say, whereas now it just sounds like "raise your price by 3x and make 819x more!"

Agreed. It is a lovely article.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hey so I found a "duh" way of making the right connections. Search for jobs you'd want that are currently posted to LinkedIn under the Jobs section. Add the recruiters who posted them. If I do switch jobs it'll probably be in 6+ months and in the mean time I will be ranking front page for the people provably searching for people like me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does anyone else have the issue where tons of people are finding you... but only to sell you poo poo, and not try to recruit you? At least once a week someone will call/email/InMail me about their new ad serving platform or whatever and try to set up a call with me and my team.

If there's a magic switch to invert the ratio of BizDev/Recruiters, please let me know.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Once you get on a BizDev guy's list you're there for life - you probably ended up there in the first place because your current job title or position description in your profile implies you have control of a budget or make decisions re: vendors.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I for right now, I have basically have a stub of a LinkedIn profile. I'm wanting to flesh it out a bit, but I have a previous career (biomedical lab work; roughly 2006 - 2011) where I ended up job hopping a bit (not really my fault; just temp type jobs, being at companies that went under shortly after I joined, PI's losing grants...). If I put all of them in, it almost certainly looks bad, but if I leave too many out, it would create some significant gaps. I have since gone back to school (undergrad prereqs for a computer science masters; started in 2011) and I'm currently looking for software development jobs/gigs. I got a job in this field, though unfortunately only lasted 3 months due more or less to the company being a start up and moving people around, new people being brought in, and a small budget for personnelm making the newbie developer (me) expendable.

Roughly the first half of my lab career was temping, and the second half was at prestigious medical institutions, so they might be worth mentioning. My tenure at the jobs from 1 month (company pretty much shut down) to about 1.5 years (PI lost a grant and had to let me go). What should I put on my profile for these short term jobs?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Should you politely reply to every recruiter message?

I'm still settling into the new job, and not looking, but I don't want to burn potential future bridges either.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Harry posted:

I saw this linkedin article today.

Justin Mares
Director of Revenue at Airbrake
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140722235610-67056463-why-real-businesses-don-t-charge-5-month?trk=tod-home-art-list-small_2

Been a while since I've seen the comments get so hostile towards someone.

hahahha

I love how on his first plot the y-axis is labeled "LEFT VERTICAL AXIS TITLE."

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My only endorsements right now are from my dad. Should I get rid of those and how do I get more

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nobody gives a poo poo about endorsements.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

meanieface posted:

I'm still settling into the new job, and not looking, but I don't want to burn potential future bridges either.

What's the worst that can come from a polite "hey, not looking right now, but let me add you so we can talk when I am"?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FrozenVent posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about endorsements.

I would bet that they help you rank in search though I have not done tests to confirm this. Thus, I give a poo poo about them and so should he but recruiters don't care at all.

null gallagher posted:

What's the worst that can come from a polite "hey, not looking right now, but let me add you so we can talk when I am"?

Agreed.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

meanieface posted:

I get about 5-10 recruiters a week, and usually just ignore them. The only recruiter I've ever used took me to lunch to get to know me, then dinner later in the week to present different jobs. Then she took me to the interviews, waited for me, and we talked after. Later she negotiated way over my asking price and got me relo and signing. If I'm ever in the market, she is my goto. I found her on Yelp, where she had 50+ 5 star ratings. If you're ever in the Bay Area and looking for a Senior level DevOps or Developer role, I'll give her your info.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I only respond to the ones that contact me twice.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Is it kosher to message a recruiter for a company I applied for to see if they could tell me why I got rejected? I applied for a position that I thought I met the requirements for pretty well and got a rejection form email the next day. I don't want to contest their rejection, I just wanted to see if there were any red flags in my application or resume that I should worry about.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
They probably won't give a good answer for legal reasons.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Obviously it depends on your industry and job, but for someone in digital marketing (PPC/Display/SEO), how many years of experience do you need before recruiters really start contacting you? I've only ever had 2-3 recruiters contact me, which seems a bit surprising knowing my role and income. Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

egoslicer posted:

I get about 5-10 recruiters a week, and usually just ignore them. The only recruiter I've ever used took me to lunch to get to know me, then dinner later in the week to present different jobs. Then she took me to the interviews, waited for me, and we talked after. Later she negotiated way over my asking price and got me relo and signing. If I'm ever in the market, she is my goto. I found her on Yelp, where she had 50+ 5 star ratings. If you're ever in the Bay Area and looking for a Senior level DevOps or Developer role, I'll give her your info.

I am a Sr. mechanical engineer in that area and that sounds incredible. Is she software only? I have a pretty awesome resume in mechanical engineering/manufacturing and I only get maybe 1-2 jobs a month through indeed or LinkedIn, though I am not actively looking at the moment.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pilkington posted:

Is it kosher to message a recruiter for a company I applied for to see if they could tell me why I got rejected? I applied for a position that I thought I met the requirements for pretty well and got a rejection form email the next day. I don't want to contest their rejection, I just wanted to see if there were any red flags in my application or resume that I should worry about.

They already rejected you what do you have to lose? Though I agree they prob wont tell you poo poo.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I am a Sr. mechanical engineer in that area and that sounds incredible. Is she software only? I have a pretty awesome resume in mechanical engineering/manufacturing and I only get maybe 1-2 jobs a month through indeed or LinkedIn, though I am not actively looking at the moment.

Software only I'm afraid.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I did a cursory google for recruiters on Yelp and didnt see results, could you explain how you found her so I can do the same with my field.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Radbot posted:

Obviously it depends on your industry and job, but for someone in digital marketing (PPC/Display/SEO), how many years of experience do you need before recruiters really start contacting you? I've only ever had 2-3 recruiters contact me, which seems a bit surprising knowing my role and income. Maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way, though.

Although in demand, PPC folks are less in demand then developers.
Recruiter are used to get STEM folks because they are not actively looking for new jobs. Thus the "recruit" part. If you post a PPC job listing you will get plenty of quality 2-3 year candidates.

Senior digital marketing managers are harder to find. You will start seeing recruiters hit them up at 7+ years of experience.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I did a cursory google for recruiters on Yelp and didnt see results, could you explain how you found her so I can do the same with my field.

On the yelp site I just searched for tech recruiter and had plenty of results for San Francisco.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you handle making a profile for job searching when you are connected to your boss and people you work with who you dont want to know that you are job searching

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

WYA posted:

How do you handle making a profile for job searching when you are connected to your boss and people you work with who you dont want to know that you are job searching

This is a common question--just about everyone has a Linkedin profile whether they're actively searching or not. Most likely nobody will notice, as long as you aren't excessively blatant about it (spamming status updates about job hunting, and to a lesser extent, changing your tag line to "Actively seeking new opportunities" or whatever are examples). Making new connections and updating your profile in general are both part of normal Linkedin activity, and if someone is enough of a sperg to watch your activity any more intently than that, then you have bigger issues to worry about, like why the gently caress your boss and your coworkers are stalking your Linkedin activity.

Besides, if you're only applying to job postings and/or emailing recruiters about them (from a personal email account), there is literally no way anyone would know aside from you.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

WYA posted:

You can also disable updates in your settings so no one will see what a new connection is made. Unless they are actively counting the number of connections you have. Which, as noted, would be super weird.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tai-Pan posted:

You can also disable updates in your settings so no one will see what a new connection is made. Unless they are actively counting the number of connections you have. Which, as noted, would be super weird.

Okay thanks. Basically it's either they wont notice or if they do notice they are creeps and I shouldnt care if they notice

Is it expected that your linkedin will be very similar to your resume?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

WYA posted:

Okay thanks. Basically it's either they wont notice or if they do notice they are creeps and I shouldnt care if they notice

Is it expected that your linkedin will be very similar to your resume?

There's a lot of info about this in the OP, but I can distill it a bit here.

While there will be common ground and similarities, it'd also be a mistake to view Linkedin profiles as the same thing as resumes. Some of the same principles to building a good resume also apply to building Linkedin profiles (such as show, don't tell; use specific details; etc.) but the main difference is that you can expect an even smaller percentage of people to read your Linkedin profile than you could even expect to read a resume. So be brief and concise x10.

When people DO read Linkedin profiles, they are mainly looking for things that qualify you for task X. For this reason, assuming that finding a job doing task X is your goal, make sure it's clear that you have Y years of experience in directly relevant roles involving task X, have a BA/BS/MA/MS/PhD in Z, certifications A, B and C, and so on and so forth. Essentially everything that you would see in bullet points under "Position requirements" is something you want to emphasize over anything else. Everything else aside from that is superfluous and there's a good chance that nobody will read any of it.

This is how I see it, but my POV is influenced by and grounded in business development in the world of Federal contracting, where aggressive, high volume "surge" recruiting for specific efforts is the norm. I took a lot from my professional experience in knowing what it is recruiters actually do in this sphere to build the strategy in the OP. While I think it's more or less a good strategy to follow for just about anybody, I'm also aware of its limitations. I also know that people in fields vastly different from the ones I've primarily dealt with in some cases can take a very different approach to networking and self-promotion, and find great success doing so. Creative-type fields, for one--there are definitely times when I imagine that people in these vastly different lines of would have a much better picture than I do of how to network and self-promote than I do. That's my only caveat, really.

Fortunately there are a few such people here in this thread who have given it a go already, they may have a lot more info for you if some of the above describes you.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

HiroProtagonist posted:

There's a lot of info about this in the OP, but I can distill it a bit here.

While there will be common ground and similarities, it'd also be a mistake to view Linkedin profiles as the same thing as resumes. Some of the same principles to building a good resume also apply to building Linkedin profiles (such as show, don't tell; use specific details; etc.) but the main difference is that you can expect an even smaller percentage of people to read your Linkedin profile than you could even expect to read a resume. So be brief and concise x10.

When people DO read Linkedin profiles, they are mainly looking for things that qualify you for task X. For this reason, assuming that finding a job doing task X is your goal, make sure it's clear that you have Y years of experience in directly relevant roles involving task X, have a BA/BS/MA/MS/PhD in Z, certifications A, B and C, and so on and so forth. Essentially everything that you would see in bullet points under "Position requirements" is something you want to emphasize over anything else. Everything else aside from that is superfluous and there's a good chance that nobody will read any of it.

This is how I see it, but my POV is influenced by and grounded in business development in the world of Federal contracting, where aggressive, high volume "surge" recruiting for specific efforts is the norm. I took a lot from my professional experience in knowing what it is recruiters actually do in this sphere to build the strategy in the OP. While I think it's more or less a good strategy to follow for just about anybody, I'm also aware of its limitations. I also know that people in fields vastly different from the ones I've primarily dealt with in some cases can take a very different approach to networking and self-promotion, and find great success doing so. Creative-type fields, for one--there are definitely times when I imagine that people in these vastly different lines of would have a much better picture than I do of how to network and self-promote than I do. That's my only caveat, really.

Fortunately there are a few such people here in this thread who have given it a go already, they may have a lot more info for you if some of the above describes you.

Okay, well I'm trying to kickstart and Instructional Design career, so I feel like I have to explain myself more in my profile, connect my experience and education in a way for it to make sense for a recruiter to consider me. So that takes up some writing space. Thanks for your insight though

BTW. If anyone in this thread is in that industry please tell me about it

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tai-Pan posted:

Although in demand, PPC folks are less in demand then developers.
Recruiter are used to get STEM folks because they are not actively looking for new jobs. Thus the "recruit" part. If you post a PPC job listing you will get plenty of quality 2-3 year candidates.

Senior digital marketing managers are harder to find. You will start seeing recruiters hit them up at 7+ years of experience.

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I do have some minor webdev experience (enough to build my own small webapp, but mostly diagnosing tagging and JS issues) - would highlighting this increase my desirability in your opinion?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Radbot posted:

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I do have some minor webdev experience (enough to build my own small webapp, but mostly diagnosing tagging and JS issues) - would highlighting this increase my desirability in your opinion?

Yes, absolutely.
But my question is why are you waiting for recruiters to come to you? If you want a new job, start applying for one and reaching out to the recruiters at those companies.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tai-Pan posted:

Yes, absolutely.
But my question is why are you waiting for recruiters to come to you? If you want a new job, start applying for one and reaching out to the recruiters at those companies.

Because putting myself out there means I could get rejected? :)

I know, I should do that. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How do you know when a recruiter's cold call email is legit, and not one of those dumb companies that mass hires inexperienced kids? I've never gotten any recruitment emails before, and I've gotten two in the past three days. Both are from brand names; one doesn't really seem to fit as I'm not in sales, but the other is fairly spot on with what I do in my current company.

• Locked thread