Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Honestly, if you're a fan of the old Mario games for SNES, you should check out New Super Mario Bros. U. A lot of people are sick of the NSMB series, but if you haven't played them before and you like Mario, you will have a blast with NSMBU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Silver Falcon posted:

I usually recommend Okami, which is on the Wii, but there's also an HD version of it on PSN. If you haven't tried Okami, definitely get the HD version.

There's also a bunch of good stuff from past systems on the Wii (and the Wii U... eventually) Virtual Console! Make sure to check that stuff out, but to play a lot of it you'll need a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro. This is different from the Wii U Pro Controller, which doesn't work in Wii mode. The Classic Controller plugs into a Wii remote. Pick one up when you get your remotes.

:psyboom:

Recently replayed Okami on the PS3 HD reissue. I love that game so goddamn badly.

EDIT: Definitely looking forward to New Super Mario Bros U. Is it worth getting the Wii version as well, or just diving straight into the WiiU one? (NB: Have not played any NSMB game, inc DS)

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 24, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flint_Paper posted:

Thanks folks.

God above I've never felt more like a grandma trying desperately to understand a computer.

Also cause I didn't see it mentioned: get Shovel Knight

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Flint_Paper posted:

EDIT: Definitely looking forward to New Super Mario Bros U. Is it worth getting the Wii version as well, or just diving straight into the WiiU one? (NB: Have not played any NSMB game, inc DS)

A lot of people give the NSMB series poo poo for its aesthetics and such, but the Wii and Wii U games are pretty good. I'd argue NSMBU is right up there with SMB3 and SMW in terms of great level design. Both games have completely different levels so it's not like you're buying the same game twice. But I'd recommend getting NSMBU first, then grabbing Wii if you liked what you played and want some more levels.

It's the handheld entries, NSMB 1 and 2, that most people are down about because they really don't have very good level design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flint_Paper posted:

If you really love NSMBU, you can get more of the same by picking up the older games. That's honestly one of the big complaints about the NSMB series is that they all start to feel the same. I picked them all up as they came out so I didn't really feel burnt out or anything, but if you're just jumping in, just grab the most recent one.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I'd argue that the NSMB games are all more or less the same game with only slight improvements from one version to the next one, and while they're all excellent games, if you've ever played one of them before it's not really worth your time to go and play any of its successors, but if you haven't, definitely go for the newest/latest one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PrBacterio posted:

I'd argue that the NSMB games are all more or less the same game with only slight improvements from one version to the next one, and while they're all excellent games, if you've ever played one of them before it's not really worth your time to go and play any of its successors, but if you haven't, definitely go for the newest/latest one.

"more or less the same game" with completely different levels each time around.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

jivjov posted:

Nobody cares about level design in the year 2014.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NSMBU is great. It's more of the same but so is every sports game, every racing game, and so on. There's nothing wrong with continuing a really good idea while upping the polish and quality each release.

Red posted:

If you like traditional Mario-type games, Wario Land: Shake It! is pretty neat.

I looked this up out of curiosity and you have made me quite happy now. I've been dying to play a (preferably newish) Wario platformer and I think I always assumed that was something completely different and gimmicky/pointless. I'll have to track it down now. I've always been on the Wario wagon but aside from the first Wii Warioware game I haven't played a single game of his.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PrBacterio posted:

That's pretty much what I want from the series, though. The mechanics are solid, make more levels! That you get a new powerup or two each time is a bonus. The series is really quite good.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

jivjov posted:

Alright then, they're more like level packs that come packaged with the latest patch of the NSMB engine. Obviously, if you haven't played the game called "NSMB" before, you want to start at the newest patch level with all the latest improvements and tweaks, especially since the level design in all of them is on a consistently high level, so if you're just starting out then buy the newest one of the games. After that, unless you care enough that you really want to buy a bunch of additional level packs for it, don't bother with any of the others. So my advice stands :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I looked this up out of curiosity and you have made me quite happy now. I've been dying to play a (preferably newish) Wario platformer and I think I always assumed that was something completely different and gimmicky/pointless. I'll have to track it down now. I've always been on the Wario wagon but aside from the first Wii Warioware game I haven't played a single game of his.

You should check out Wario Land 4 on the eShop too. I played it recently for the first time and it's really great.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PrBacterio posted:

I think it's because a lot of people aren't big fans of pure 2-D platformers. NSMB is purposely made to be in the vein of 2-D Mario games. You can't really do more to it without breaking that purpose. If they suddenly added stealth sections, a la "Mark of the Ninja", people would yell about it. If they added Puzzles a la "Blocks that Matter", it would be a completely different game.

If you like pure 2-D platformers with lots of secrets to uncover, the NSMB line of games are great. If you are so-so on them, you'll probably play one and get your fill.

But yeah, NSMBU was one of my favorite games on the Wii U so far.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. "This is good: more please."

Is Sonic Colours any good? I was looking at Sonic Lost ~World but apparently it's utterly cack.

Dammit Sega. Just let the dude die.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Colors is Unleashed/Generations style, it's really good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Flint_Paper posted:

Is Sonic Colours any good? I was looking at Sonic Lost ~World but apparently it's utterly cack.

Colors is absolutely fantastic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flint_Paper posted:

Sonic Colors is considered to be very good. You mentioned you have PS3, so get Sonic Generations too if you have never played it. As for Lost World, don't bother.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Colors is great. There are some iffy areas (I hated some of the Wisp home world level) and the final boss is stupid (but that's like. Sonic tradition at this poin). The water park music is wooooooooonderful :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PrBacterio posted:

Alright then, they're more like level packs that come packaged with the latest patch of the NSMB engine. Obviously, if you haven't played the game called "NSMB" before, you want to start at the newest patch level with all the latest improvements and tweaks, especially since the level design in all of them is on a consistently high level, so if you're just starting out then buy the newest one of the games. After that, unless you care enough that you really want to buy a bunch of additional level packs for it, don't bother with any of the others. So my advice stands :colbert:

Catch is that NSMB on the DS was actually not that great. It was pretty underwhelming even when it was new. NSMB for 3DS was a big improvement over that, but wasn't as much fun as the Wii version which came out like three years before it.

The Wii U one is very decidedly the best of the brand and is packed with tons to do, and has an actual new level pack that's also good fun.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

TaurusOxford posted:

Sonic Colors is considered to be very good. You mentioned you have PS3, so get Sonic Generations too if you have never played it. As for Lost World, don't bother.

This is all you need to know in terms of Sonic in the last 5 years. Unless Mario kart hasn't scratched your itch, in which case pick up Transformed for your Wii U. Personally I still like it more because I think it's a better single player game (Expert mode is hard as gently caress), but I can't deny that Mario Kart 8 is the better multiplayer experience by far.

For real, to me Colors & Generations are right up there with the classics in my favorite Sonic games. Don't pass those up if you like Sonic.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 24, 2014

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

MechaCrash posted:

Project Giant Robot looks pretty cool, because it could be the next Robot Alchemic Drive. In fact, a Wii U sequel would be absolutely amazing.

Yeah, I was thinking the same too.
But RAD... I thought it's a complete unknown.
We localized it on a shoestring budget (using rank amateurs as voice actors), and they only made around a 100,000 copies with no advertising support.
It's a miracle that people quote it every so often.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If you're kinda bored with NSMB you should still give the Luigi Bros U one a look if you like platformers- game busts out some tough poo poo almost immediately and is a lot of fun. You can buy it separately from the main game as well.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, Sonic Generations was lovely. After only playing the Megadrive stuff, I genuinely enjoued the new versions of the levels. Plus, the re-done music for Chemical Plant Zone was incredible. God the money I'd spend on a good DLC pack for that game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Flint_Paper posted:

It was said earlier, but if this is your case, you owe it to yourself to get Shovel Knight. It's like the perfect 8-bit NES platformer done 30 years later.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I was hesitant on picking up Shovel Knight since hey we get like 7 new platform games from random developers a week and 6 of them are yawnfests but drat is it good.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

We localized it on a shoestring budget (using rank amateurs as voice actors), and they only made around a 100,000 copies with no advertising support.

Oh man, you worked on RAD too? I think the bad voice acting really added to the whole thing, gave it that cheesy early anime feel.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flint_Paper posted:

Yeah, Sonic Generations was lovely. After only playing the Megadrive stuff, I genuinely enjoued the new versions of the levels. Plus, the re-done music for Chemical Plant Zone was incredible. God the money I'd spend on a good DLC pack for that game.

It still baffles me how they wouldn't make DLC for Generations, and yet they'll shoehorn Zelda into Lost World. I would have paid big money for a Metropolis Zone...

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I was hesitant on picking up Shovel Knight since hey we get like 7 new platform games from random developers a week and 6 of them are yawnfests but drat is it good.

Yeah, I love platformers and eat them up with a spoon, but Shovel Knight is definitely in my top 5 best of the genre.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is it possible to use the GCN controller for the Metroid Prime Trilogy or are all the games only Wiimote controlled? I love MP1 and 2 but could never stick with 3 because of the controls. I'd totally pick up the trilogy for my Wii if it some how let me use my Wavebird.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wildtortilla posted:

Is it possible to use the GCN controller for the Metroid Prime Trilogy or are all the games only Wiimote controlled? I love MP1 and 2 but could never stick with 3 because of the controls. I'd totally pick up the trilogy for my Wii if it some how let me use my Wavebird.

Nope, Wiimote only. Personally I think they control way better (once you switch it to Advanced controls), but if you're insistent on using the Wavebird, don't waste your time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

Colors is great. There are some iffy areas (I hated some of the Wisp home world level) and the final boss is stupid (but that's like. Sonic tradition at this poin). The water park music is wooooooooonderful :allears:

Do not listen to him, Sonic Colors has the best final boss battle in any 3D Sonic game on the basis that you don't have to suddenly learn how to play Sonic in an entirely different way, and you get to see Eggman do cool science poo poo. :colbert:

Also, I knew that game was something special when I got into a space rollercoaster going around a green nuclear volcano :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wildtortilla posted:

Wiimote only. That said the motion controls aren't really that bad in my opinion.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Wiimote only. That said the motion controls aren't really that bad in my opinion.

I never warmed up to them. I could move around the first two games feeling like a ninja, but I never felt that I moved around as well in 3. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the near future. I haven't tried it in two years.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Wildtortilla posted:

I never warmed up to them. I could move around the first two games feeling like a ninja, but I never felt that I moved around as well in 3. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the near future. I haven't tried it in two years.

You did set the controls to Advanced right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

You did set the controls to Advanced right?

When I played Prime 1 and 2 on the collection, it didn't feel like that helped. Still vastly prefer the GameCube controls.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's crazy talk. Prime Trilogy with wiimote controls is the greatest. I have no idea how you could play without it set on advanced though. Non-advanced is loving terrible.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
A brief note on Wiimotes. All knockoff Wiimotes are temptingly low-priced, but go with the authentic Nintendo product. Those are packed with sensors and I've heard of many people eventually buying name-brand Wiimotes to replace off-brand anyway.

Authentic looks like this:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Shyfted One posted:

That's crazy talk. Prime Trilogy with wiimote controls is the greatest. I have no idea how you could play without it set on advanced though. Non-advanced is loving terrible.

There are a couple fights where you should probably turn off "Free Aim with Lock On" (The fight where you first get missiles in Prime 1 being a great example), but on the whole, yeah, advanced controls for Prime 1/2 own.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
This week's eShop update:

Joystiq posted:

Wii U
•Wooden Sen'Sey (Neko Entertainment, 1 player, $10)
•Uforia: The Saga (Sunsoft, 1 player, price TBA)
•Super Toy Cars (Eclipse Games, up to 4 players, price TBA)

3DS
•Siesta Fiesta (Mojo Bones, 1 player, $6)
•Blaster Master (Sunsoft, 1 player, price TBA)
•101 Pony Pets 3D (Selectsoft, 1 player, price TBA)
•Pick-A-Gem (Gamelion, 1 player, price TBA)
•Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure (WB Games, 1 player, price TBA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Doug Dinsdale posted:

One of my college roommates had RAD and we enjoyed playing it every once in a while. It was completely ridiculous but in a neat way. The idea of controlling the mech but having the viewpoint as the person on the ground was interesting.

What a quirky game. I'm not surprised to hear it had such a small run of copies.

• Locked thread