Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno about the premium model for SBFs it would be weird to have content only for THE REAL FANs when they already get ad revenue. Id probably subscribe to it anyway if it was offered but it would be weird for them.

They could probably have a crazy $500 tier and still have people subscribe going by their mailbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kaptain K posted:

Matt I don't know how popular this idea will be so I'm just speaking for myself here.

I'd be hyped if you and the Best Friends would create a premium section of the site so for example we could get an extra podcast a week, extra videos (I actually don't have any ideas for premium content, the main thing I would want is 2 podcasts a week) for some monthly/annual fee.

Maybe you could just do this for the podcast since a lot of podcasts use this model, releasing a free show in addition to premium shows. I would definitely subscribe since I'm typically a tiny bit disappointed when the friendcast isn't at least 3 hours so I'd pay for more show in a heartbeat.

I think Woolie might possibly die if you try to tack on any more podcast work to what they already do. Either that or he'll just be some lone hermit constantly tinkering on casts... like Forge. Don't do that to him. Nobody wants Forge.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't a clue what they could implement as a subscription thing that wouldn't either take away content from everyone else or exhaust the guys from the extra workload. Wallpapers from their art pals? Ad-free HD downloads of videos? A 12-month calendar of Zach wearing silly hats?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm pretty sure that most people would be okay with just ad-free. I think it's mostly as a way to give them donations with them feeling as un-scummy as possible.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
Calendars with Zach in silly hats or bust. :colbert:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Maybe this is the point where the Zaibatsu needs to grow past just the 4 if more content is gonna get produced. Because from what's been said, their workload is just about peak. Y'know, unless they're cool with the amount of content they're doing.

I'm not gonna judge. :colbert:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

pulp rag posted:

Maybe this is the point where the Zaibatsu needs to grow past just the 4 if more content is gonna get produced. Because from what's been said, their workload is just about peak. Y'know, unless they're cool with the amount of content they're doing.

I'm not gonna judge. :colbert:

I'm sorry, do you demand more than two 30 minute videos a day, a weekly 3 hour podcast, specials, month themes, and site upkeep? what more can you need?!

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm sorry, do you demand more than two 30 minute videos a day, a weekly 3 hour podcast, specials, month themes, and site upkeep? what more can you need?!

A way to give them money for content.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, I think they output enough content as it is. Making videos is fun and all, but don't forget that they're normal people with real-life things to deal with too. If they keep overloading themselves, I think they would get burned out to the point where its not fun anymore for anyone and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

But that's what I'm saying. I'm super cool with their content output right now, but since people (me included) wanna give them more money for even more content, it's at the point where they're gonna have to hire people on to do the back-end stuff to do that. Because right now, like I said, the Zaibatsu is at content-maximum.

It's why I said if the Zaibatsu is cool with their position and amount of output, I'm not gonna judge. It's Matt's, Pat's, Woolie's, and Liam's decision if they're happy with the income they're getting and content they're putting out. But the reality for people like me who would love to do a subscription or premium membership for more content is that it's probably not gonna happen for a long while unless people get hired on to either work in the background or become part of the main Zaibatsu.

I just think people misunderstood what I was saying. To sum it up is: if we want to see an increase in the amount of TBF content in almost any fashion, people will probably have to be hired on to do stuff.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
This is why they should hire Jontron

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pulp rag posted:

But that's what I'm saying. I'm super cool with their content output right now, but since people (me included) wanna give them more money for even more content, it's at the point where they're gonna have to hire people on to do the back-end stuff to do that. Because right now, like I said, the Zaibatsu is at content-maximum.

It's why I said if the Zaibatsu is cool with their position and amount of output, I'm not gonna judge. It's Matt's, Pat's, Woolie's, and Liam's decision if they're happy with the income they're getting and content they're putting out. But the reality for people like me who would love to do a subscription or premium membership for more content is that it's probably not gonna happen for a long while unless people get hired on to either work in the background or become part of the main Zaibatsu.

I just think people misunderstood what I was saying. To sum it up is: if we want to see an increase in the amount of TBF content in almost any fashion, people will probably have to be hired on to do stuff.

never post again

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

roach cum puddle posted:

A way to give them money for content.

Celebrate friend, for I bring you what you desire.

http://sharkrobot.com/collections/two-best-friends-play

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not sure why people are all "I WANT TO GIVE THEM MONEY BUT DON'T KNOW HOW" you know they end every video with 'hey here's a store link' right?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Right now the Best Friends definitely put out more videos than I can watch per week but just for me personally I have much more time to listen to a podcast than watching a video.

If it was up to me I would add just a premium layer onto the podcast but not the videos.

edit: I never miss Friday Night Fisticuffs though because that intro just gets me in the mood.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's funny, it's way the other way around for me. I can't find the time to have 2+ hours of audio in my ears but two 20/30 minute videos every day is exactly enough for me without being overboard.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
My stance is, I don't wear any type of shirts they sell. I don't hang posters on my wall that they sell.

What else do they sell?

Nothing

except the idea of them doing premium content. I want to give these fools money, and the only way I want to give them money is through some type of premium website membership.

How do they do premium $ $ $ $ you ask?

That is the question.
That is the question.
That is the question.

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 24, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

roach cum puddle posted:

My stance is, I don't wear any type of shirts they sell. I don't hang posters on my wall that they sell.

What else do they sell?

Nothing

except the idea of them doing premium content. I want to give these fools money, and the only way I want to give them money is through some type of premium website membership.

How do they do premium $ $ $ $ you ask?

That is the question.
That is the question.
That is the question.

Hold on I just had an intense brainstorming sesh and check it out I think I've solved it: they just put a donate button on their website.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

straight jerkers posted:

Hold on I just had an intense brainstorming sesh and check it out I think I've solved it: they just put a donate button on their website.

I'd be down for that.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

straight jerkers posted:

edit: I understand the counterpart of being like "Well just give them loving money for nothing!!!!

(edit: not that it''s for nothing. they've given me multiple hours of happiness. I'd love to have a donation button, but what I'd love for more is them having an ~exclusive option for a fixed rate every month~"

Why is that a terrible thing to ask?

Why is asking for a basic membership the same as "YO JUST loving HAVE THEM CREATE A DONATION BUTTON AND YOUR JMONEY WILL GO WHERE YOUR JMONEY WILL GO:!!!!
"

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Celebrate friend, for I bring you what you desire.

http://sharkrobot.com/collections/two-best-friends-play

But where are the action figures?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

roach cum puddle posted:

edit: I understand the counterpart of being like "Well just give them loving money for nothing!!!!

(edit: not that it''s for nothing. they've given me multiple hours of happiness. I'd love to have a donation button, but what I'd love for more is them having an ~exclusive option for a fixed rate every month~"

Why is that a terrible thing to ask?

Why is asking for a basic membership the same as "YO JUST loving HAVE THEM CREATE A DONATION BUTTON AND YOUR JMONEY WILL GO WHERE YOUR JMONEY WILL GO:!!!!
"

If they really wanted to they could probably just set up a Patreon Campaign or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
This is a seriously loving dumb discussion

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is a seriously loving dumb discussion

Problem solving how we can give money to a free product is a
"seriously loving dumb discussion"
???

Are you a fan of these guys?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Who gives a poo poo, buy some shirts.

Actual discussion: I beat Murdered: Soul Suspect and Pat freaking out at the unlocked police door is my new favorite thing.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

BrownThunder posted:

Who gives a poo poo, buy some shirts.

Because I don't want to pay for fabric that I'd throw away the second I received it. I'd rather pay for a simple membership of "hey there's ads on our videos we can take those off for you"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Please don't goon away the content creator!

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Rodyle posted:

Please don't goon away the content creator!

Goon away the content creator by trying to figure out how they can make money off of their product?

I hate to respond so quickly but you guys act like us (as consumers) trying to find out how they (as content prodivers) can make money off of all this poo poo they give us is a sacrilege topic.

Why can't we just talk in a civil manner about how we give money to these loving dudes who just started a new website that will eventually bring them money but they don't know how yet?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

roach cum puddle posted:

Problem solving how we can give money to a free product is a
"seriously loving dumb discussion"
???

Are you a fan of these guys?

You type like an idiot. Please stop using your enter key. They already have multiple avenues of revenue that you could use.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

roach cum puddle posted:

Goon away the content creator by trying to figure out how they can make money off of their product?

I hate to respond so quickly but you guys act like us (as consumers) trying to find out how they (as content prodivers) can make money off of all this poo poo they give us is a sacrilege topic.

Why can't we just talk in a civil manner about how we give money to these loving dudes who just started a new website that will eventually bring them money but they don't know how yet?

You're right. They just made the websites for fun and have no plans at all.

Did you send them the anime blu-ray set?

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
All I want to do is figure out a way that I can send these fools money without having to buy their merchandise (because I am really not a fan of any item they sell in their store). Why are you guys so against this? Like, there's so much anger for discussing a premium plan. Why???? Why are you guys so against premium membership for content? edit: I want to pay for their content, not their merchandise. e2: I apologize that I use a method of communication which is easier on the eyes than block paragraphs. It's honestly cute to see fans of something be mad at other fans of the same thing who just want to figure out a way to shell out money to the people they're fans of without having to buy their merchandise.

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2014

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

CONFIRMED

Veotax
May 16, 2006

roach cum puddle posted:

All I want to do is figure out a way that I can send these fools money without having to buy their merchandise (because I am really not a fan of any item they sell in their store). Why are you guys so against this? Like, there's so much anger for discussing a premium plan. Why???? Why are you guys so against premium membership for content? edit: I want to pay for their content, not their merchandise. e2: I apologize that I use a method of communication which is easier on the eyes than block paragraphs.

That's hardly a 'block paragraph', stop typing like an rear end in a top hat. Are you high? At least when you were posting poo poo like this:

quote:

Hey Matt!

So, is Pat a tweaker? There's the obvious times of someone mentioning crack and they'll make a seemingly not-joking comment of "pat endorses that", but: he's a twitchy guy, has been scared really easily on the mailbag (happens with sleep deprivation), he's talked about how his immune system is lowered from not sleeping ever, his pupils are always huge, a bunch of other examples etc etc. Is the joke that he's prescribed adderall or something and you guys exaggerate that "pat loves crack/pat endorses crack", or does he unabashedly like speed?
You weren't furiously pounding the Enter Key after every other sentence.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Veotax posted:

That's hardly a 'block paragraph', stop typing like an rear end in a top hat. Are you high? At least when you were posting poo poo like this:

You weren't furiously pounding the Enter Key after every other sentence.

You definitely won this conversation of premium membership!

e: PS it is officially confirmed that I'm a huge fan of speed and I'm also a huge fan of Pat and since I just started listening to the podcast I had no idea that the joke of "pat takes amphetamines" is all a big joke on me!

VVV : I apologize I make my posts easy on the eyes.

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 24, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I wasn't arguing about theoretical premium content, I was saying you type like an idiot.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
THIS IS ALL SO DUMB

Why can't we just talk as a fangroup of people who are fans of the same niche thing about how we can give money to the thing that brings us joy besides just paying for their merchandise.

I honestly want someone to answer (and not in a lovely Youtube Sarcastic Way) why this idea of premium membership is so terrible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Because most of us have given them money for shirts and stickers and poo poo because, spoiler, while the shirts are neat we're mainly saying 'hey thank you for making videos we love, oh a shirt that's nice too', and then even then when we said 'well then maybe they should add a donate button' you met it with "WELL BUT NO THAT'S NOTHING" and we kinda don't know what else to say. You realize maintaining a 'premium' kinda thing is actually a bit of work right? Like it won't kill them but it actually is a bit labor intensive on top of content making on top of real rear end lives. The only youtuber who wasn't an actual professional type I've seen do it is VGA which is literally just a 'hey if you wanna throw us some money we'll whitelist you in minecraft and add you for PSN and poo poo and you can talk in the Twitch stream' checkbox thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

roach cum puddle posted:

VVV : I apologize I make my posts easy on the eyes.

Also, nope.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

roach cum puddle posted:

THIS IS ALL SO DUMB

Why can't we just talk as a fangroup of people who are fans of the same niche thing about how we can give money to the thing that brings us joy besides just paying for their merchandise.

I honestly want someone to answer (and not in a lovely Youtube Sarcastic Way) why this idea of premium membership is so terrible.

I don't have nearly enough time to consume all the boys' content they put out each week and it's very obvious they do a fuckload of work behind the scenes with all the plates they're spinning at a time and as a result their output RPMs are pretty much in the red most of the time to keep to their schedule. Remember why they cancelled the mailbag? You sound entitled as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't have nearly enough time to consume all the boys' content they put out each week and it's very obvious they do a fuckload of work behind the scenes with all the plates they're juggling at a time and as a result their output RPMs are pretty much in the red most of the time. Remember why they cancelled the mailbag? You sound entitled as gently caress.

I sound entitled because I'm asking a group of people "Hey let me give you money to take ads off your videos"? E: My whole point of this "argument" is that I want to give them money to take ads off of their videos. Is that such a monumental business plan to ask of them?

roach cum puddle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 25, 2014