Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SSNeoman posted:

My favorite wizard epic spell was the ability to raise an island out of the sea. My personal weakness was whenever I made a campaign was to have a wizard who used it. Hero or villain. It's just such a cool idea.

When people start mixing and matching spells and feat bonuses, wizards can get really creatively bullshit: http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/22331104288/breaking-d-d-3-5-the-locate-city-nuke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SSNeoman posted:

My favorite wizard epic spell was the ability to raise an island out of the sea. My personal weakness was whenever I made a campaign was to have a wizard who used it. Hero or villain. It's just such a cool idea.

My favorite was the one that created a monster out of nothing. With the implication that this is where they came from in the first place: some bored wizard just playing god in his basement.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
One of my favorite sessions of D&D I ever DMed was a labyrinthine dungeon that took place in a wizard's tower, and all of the experimentation notes left in each room amounted to "I'm bored, I wonder what would happen if I did this?"

The boss of course was the wizard turned into a skeleton because he was tired of having to constantly eat, and, well, skeletons don't need to eat! :science:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
My current D&D campaign (technically pathfinder) has our main wizard played by the dumbest player I've played with, though I do have fairly limited experience. In the past 2 games he tried to teleport immediately after the party telling him that teleporting took you to a random and unpleasant dimension (I had used a teleport item and died in the session before), fired a disintegrate straight onto a magical door and had it reflect back into his face (and barely lived because I'm unlucky), and spent the recent boss fight idling around because he couldn't think of any spells to cast on the giant statue we were fighting. During this same fight a different caster used heightened glitterdust to blind the statue, then heightened grease to make it fall prone.

I was somewhat pissed when he picked up a Robe of the Archmagi (75k GP item) by trading a flesh golem he had created for about 10k to a weaver we met in the current dungeon, which he didn't want after just getting it operational in that session because it wasn't useful in combat, but now I'm laughing because that robe is cursed and preventing him from casting almost any spells. Oh, and the robe can only be worn by evil people, so everyone he meets will immediately know he's evil.

Thanks for linking that city nuke spell combination too, that's actually really interesting. If I ever GM a game, I'm totally going to have a wizard blow up a town by doing that.

Anyway, getting back on Gamer topic, Jee-Han is totally right about Wizards being able to do anything in tabletop games, and with his abilities coming out of nowhere and basically only limited by what he can think up, he really does have just oodles of potential.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 19, 2014

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I love the Gnome is a stone cold killer. Spear to the face, dead eyes.

I have this feeling that Gnome's appearance as a cutesy anime girl is influenced by Jee-Han's preconceptions. If he thought that it should look more like a golem or a homonculous then Gnome would be more crudely shaped, less human-like.

If we're going D&D, I would absolutely love it if he became a muscle wizard. :allears:

He has already invested points into strength. He could pump a few points into intelligence and split the last of them between strength and endurance.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 19, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He definitely should work on being a Wizard/Monk type of character. I mean, he has to know that it's an advantage to cast without anything in his hands, and the martial arts clan is right there LITERALLY HANDING HIM Martial arts techniques. Just become a cross between Jackie Chan and Gandalf and never have to worry about being kidnapped for your sweet, sweet mana again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He should train up until he can send down a meteor on his enemies. "Sure, I'm not that good at close range. I wish you luck in getting that far though :smug:"

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

SSNeoman posted:

He should train up until he can send down a meteor on his enemies. "Sure, I'm not that good at close range. I wish you luck in getting that far though :smug:"

He'd have to be pretty far away. Did you see how absurdly fast the martial artists in this setting can move? There's a very good reason they warned him to invest in defensive stats.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
As Id demonstrated, even a squishy dnd style wizard could stand to learn a few martial arts movement skills.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I still can't believe he completely gave up on the "dodge skill" thing after just trying it in a vacuum. It seems like something that'd only work if you're dodging an actual attack. Maybe if one of his martial arts buddies taught him how to do a dodge roll he could get a few invulnerability frames out of the deal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpactVector posted:

I still can't believe he completely gave up on the "dodge skill" thing after just trying it in a vacuum. It seems like something that'd only work if you're dodging an actual attack. Maybe if one of his martial arts buddies taught him how to do a dodge roll he could get a few invulnerability frames out of the deal.

I'm still hoping they'll bring other types of games into this ability. Broken-rear end RPG mechanics are cool and all, but frankly I'd rather live my life like a character from a Platinum game.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
New chapter
In which our protagonist gets even more OPed

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
He finally made an argument in favour of boosting Wisdom! ...Just at an unwise moment. :v:

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Everyone who made a bunch of posts in here about how he should put points in wis just got trolled hard

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What a genius. Wisdom is important! And that's why I'm dumping everything into int well beyond that 100 point threshold where it gives me a big boost.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I wonder if he'll ever see a class change?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Slime posted:

What a genius. Wisdom is important! And that's why I'm dumping everything into int well beyond that 100 point threshold where it gives me a big boost.

If the mechanics in the story are based on kMMOs, then chances are good that it has exponential scaling on damage stats. Like Ragnarok Online, the Most Korean kMMO of them all. inb4 Jee-han finds some sick hats.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
And here I was thinking like a fool that he would notice that mana shield is an active skill and realize he could have a passive version and grind that and potentially stack that with the actve version in order to have high defense without having to actually have high defense. Also that he'd put points into WIS since he was concerned about mana and I thought it was established early on that WIS is what contributes to mana regen? I must be mistaken.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Silento posted:

If the mechanics in the story are based on kMMOs, then chances are good that it has exponential scaling on damage stats. Like Ragnarok Online, the Most Korean kMMO of them all. inb4 Jee-han finds some sick hats.

who needs a hat when you have ogre panties? :v:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I have become munchkin, destroyer of worlds. All points that are not intelligence are dumpstats.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

He only got medium mana now. That means he clearly needs to keep dumping in into until he gets Large at 150/200

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Haha I can't wait until he goes full full psionic. I bet he'll get telepathy soon.

If he put his points into WIS, he'd probably realize he can just go Stoneskin. Ah well.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

He only got medium mana now. That means he clearly needs to keep dumping in into until he gets Large at 150/200

Oh man I can only run all of my stuff nonstop for one month continuously, this isn't nearly enough!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Oh hey, he passed 90 int. Time to learn the Divine technique.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dragonatrix posted:

He finally made an argument in favour of boosting Wisdom! ...Just at an unwise moment. :v:

That was some really fantastic irony. I loved it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

.Z. posted:

Oh hey, he passed 90 int. Time to learn the Divine technique.

They specifically said that that's an advanced technique, and unless he really committed to joining their clan, they wouldn't teach him it.

So far they are teaching him partially because he's Sun-Il's friend, and partially because he wants to join the clan, but so far he's non-committed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

He also has the hat of invisibility, so he could just go steal the technique. I didn't get the impression that they were too bothered if he learned it though, for all they knew he would have been able to absorb it right away like the other techniques.

He's definitely taking an all or nothing strategy though, hope it pays off for him!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ice Phisherman posted:

I have become munchkin, destroyer of worlds. All points that are not intelligence are dumpstats.

I love that his ability is so stupidly world breaking. :allears: Hopefully he winds up fighting some actually tough things soon though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

KittyEmpress posted:

They specifically said that that's an advanced technique, and unless he really committed to joining their clan, they wouldn't teach him it.

So far they are teaching him partially because he's Sun-Il's friend, and partially because he wants to join the clan, but so far he's non-committed.

He might as well at this point.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

He's going to end up with everything hyperleveled except WIS, which will remain at 6 for the duration of the comic. :allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what a hypothetical him would be like if he had pumped everything into Wisdom. Probably could carefully touch a particular place on the ground and trigger some butterfly effect that ends fights before they begin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder what a hypothetical him would be like if he had pumped everything into Wisdom. Probably could carefully touch a particular place on the ground and trigger some butterfly effect that ends fights before they begin.

He'd probably have at least a kind of spider-sense, able to predict enemy movements and dangerous courses of action.

I bet he'd be able to really figure out the optimal grinding strategy too. Hopefully he's able to inspect some other people, or enemies, somewhere down the line and we can see what a high wis and a high charisma character can do in battle.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

When you reach maximum wisdom, you finally see the error of you ways of putting any points into wisdom.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I don't know if it's been brought up previously, but has there ever been any explanation or exposition on the difference between characters "leveling up" normally versus partying with Jee-Han and actually leveling in the RPG sense? This chapter touches on the topic but it doesn't seem to imply that other characters truly realize the value of "Punch 100 Ogres, magically gain INT or LUK" versus their reality-centric expectations of getting "stronger".

Stated differently, you'd think they'd stay partied with Jee-Han as often as possible just to build stats that martial arts training doesn't inherently provide.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

who needs a hat when you have ogre panties? :v:

This only counts if he wears them on the outside. :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think something horrible happened to whatsername's spine on page 3.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Punc posted:

New chapter
In which our protagonist gets even more OPed

What does it mean that Wis "makes your thinking skills better"? How is this different from Int making your smarter?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

When you reach maximum wisdom, you finally see the error of you ways of putting any points into wisdom.

yeah. the only effect wisdom has is making you wise enough to realize that you should have min-maxed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

What does it mean that Wis "makes your thinking skills better"? How is this different from Int making your smarter?

Intelligence is the ability to retain knowledge: memorization, studying, and the likelihood that you'll just happen to remember something. Wisdom is the ability to think: logic, perception, and common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Clarste posted:

Intelligence is the ability to retain knowledge: memorization, studying, and the likelihood that you'll just happen to remember something. Wisdom is the ability to think: logic, perception, and common sense.

I always thought of wisdom as the application of one's intelligence. The skill that one has at putting it to useful purposes.

So far I think that's true in this story. He is intelligent, but doesn't really think logically about what he does and therefor makes glaring mistakes.