Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I spent a long time afterwards preparing for The Return Of Literally Hitler like some kind of increasingly out-of-touch doomsday prophet, though :(

"One day Mecha-Hitler will return, and on that day I, Super-Stalin, will be ready."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Do keys even do anything? I've actually found a couple out randomly in space before, and had no clue as to their functionality. It's probably just because telescience is probably the one toy I've played with the very least.

I understand if it's a secrets issue, but it'd be nice trivia knowing whether they're anything more than glorified paper-weights, at least, since telescientists I've tried to speak to on the matter have literally refused to acknowledge the issue. I do understand though; telescience is practically it's own game entirely separate from the station, and seems to have about %80 of the game's secrets, with chemistry having another %15 (and the last %5 apparently being exploits and bugs that aren't fixed yet). It's strange to me, but as long as people are having fun, I guess.

At least until the assholes start dragging forbidden artifacts onto the station, but most people who know how seem to have had their fill of playing God already. :v:

The keys are hidden all over the place (mostly in telescience areas), and they're used in the Solarium (another telescience area). You need to have some/all of them and insert them into the automation in the Solarium, with the "iridium key" being last.

For the vast majority of the time, they're paperweights. Acquiring the required keys is something that takes forever and is generally only done by a coordinated group on one of the low-pop servers.

Small Fry
Mar 2, 2013
Doing solarium runs is only fun once or twice because the sheer amount of time gathering some of the more bullshit keys completely overshadows getting to fart on the LLJK server. Disaster rounds are fun as hell though!

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

SL the Pyro posted:

Attempt #2 went much better, I made it to the end and got the key!

...And then I COULDN'T FIND A WAY OUT. I reason that there isn't one, because an admin eventually had to warp me out. Can someone confirm if there's actually a legitimate way out or not?

And before anyone suggests the Port-A-Medbay, someone ended up losing the remote.

There is no legitimate way out. It's very mean. It's fun seeing players try to figure out how to break out of there, a bunch of solutions have been figured out so far.

Also the general rudeness of most of the stuff deeper into the telesci dungeons is there to make teamwork necessary. You're welcome to attempt solo runs, but those places are designed for small teams. If you don't have someone covering your back, things tend to go very, very badly.

It should also probably be known that the whole solarium questline evolved out of a bunch of red herrings I put in one night just to mess with people. The keys were in those mazes quite awhile before the keys actually did anything. A lot of the solarium stuff was built right under the noses of people who were theorizing about what the gently caress all the weird little clues and dead-ends meant. It was pretty much a six-month ARG running inside SS13 for those who were weird enough to chase after it.

The telescience dungeons are mostly just self-contained little worlds to make telesci more fun and give expendable crewmembers a place to have some PvE teamwork. The rewards are fun stories, horrible deaths, lore and trinkets. Don't worry about the keys if you don't wanna, they're really just nerdbait.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 24, 2014

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
How about giving telescience its own port-a-medbay type thing (people use it for that purpose anyway). It could even just be a recolor, since I don't think the pod part actually does anything. But, ONLY ONE. If someone loses the remote, or goes back with it, or falls into lava, the rest are screwed. That way, expeditions have a convenient way back, but there's still danger, and the port-a-medbay remote might not be continuously stolen. :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It should also probably be known that the whole solarium questline evolved out of a bunch of red herrings I put in one night just to mess with people. The keys were in those mazes quite awhile before the keys actually did anything. A lot of the solarium stuff was built right under the noses of people who were theorizing about what the gently caress all the weird little clues and dead-ends meant. It was pretty much a six-month ARG running inside SS13 for those who were weird enough to chase after it.

The telescience dungeons are mostly just self-contained little worlds to make telesci more fun and give expendable crewmembers a place to have some PvE teamwork. The rewards are fun stories, horrible deaths, lore and trinkets. Don't worry about the keys if you don't wanna, they're really just nerdbait.

I gotta say messing with the Solarium Krew never, ever got old, especially once we realized how insanely dedicated they were. We'd make silent commits changing the name of a single wall in the rear end-end of nowhere and by God they'd see it and freak the gently caress out about what it meant within the hour.

So, yes, this is why the Solarium is so incredibly convoluted - for a while, we had no idea what we were doing either, we were just adding steps (often stolen from their own theorizing) to drive people crazy :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You guys are total bastards :buddy:

Is there anything else to the Solarium, like after you solve the first set of puzzles and get the crazy disaster round?

(say yes even if the truth is no)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Magres posted:

You guys are total bastards :buddy:

Is there anything else to the Solarium, like after you solve the first set of puzzles and get the crazy disaster round?

(say yes even if the truth is no)

Well, we did add a new key in Meat Station, and there is that mysterious obelisk...

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

There is also a medal for getting the Good Ending for the solarium scenario.

Nobody has ever been awarded the medal.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

PopeCrunch posted:

There is no good ending, is there?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Skunkrocker posted:

There is no good ending, is there?

Watch, it's some impossible task, like taking the server back to the station and having it go back to centcomm on the shuttle with everyone. Like that'll ever be allowed to happen.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

neogeo0823 posted:

Watch, it's some impossible task, like taking the server back to the station and having it go back to centcomm on the shuttle with everyone. Like that'll ever be allowed to happen.

Knowing this group, the ending probably requires farting on the server.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
If I were in charge of the Solarium crap, and wanted to make an "impossible" task, I'd have the good ending involve nobody at all ever farting during the round.

But that's just me.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
It will forever bug me that I have the Survivor achievment but not Newton's Crew.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Doctor Zaius posted:

It will forever bug me that I have the Survivor achievment but not Newton's Crew.

Better go earn it!

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

PopeCrunch posted:

lovely Bill never lies.

Readster
Dec 19, 2013
I wish Daeren was kidding but we did spend literal weeks trying to figure out the meaning of that one wall with an extra "er" on the end of its name.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Readster posted:

I wish Daeren was kidding but we did spend literal weeks trying to figure out the meaning of that one wall with an extra "er" on the end of its name.

"did spend"

i'm still loving trying

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I just came across this and I just have no words. I know it's probably a 'shop, but SS13 seems like something Cornella would play.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a 'shop of this, which isn't too far off:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That is a drat fine photoshop, and I've always loved that person's art; never caught their name before, though, oddly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If not for the green grass and falling from a building the unphotoshopped comic could be interpreted as a lawyer burning and getting dumped into the pool.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Had some interesting things happen a couple rounds ago. Most of the crew on #1 was off on a telescience expedition. I was the AI, but I spent a good amount of time in my shells tagging along in the new area (which I'm not going to talk about). Anyway, as I said, most of the crew was gone. We were using non-permanent teleportation to save power, though it seemed unnecessary. But that's not the important part. When I went to receive an expedition borg back to the station because it was low on energy, I discovered that the telescience control room had been replaced by spatters of blood and empty space. How annoying. Worse, there was nobody in the station who had mechanical knowledge, so they were well and truly stuck. Fortunately, someone (I don't know if it was the same admin or a different one) took pity on us and created a permanent portal that we could travel through. It was pretty annoying, though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daeren posted:

I gotta say messing with the Solarium Krew never, ever got old, especially once we realized how insanely dedicated they were. We'd make silent commits changing the name of a single wall in the rear end-end of nowhere and by God they'd see it and freak the gently caress out about what it meant within the hour.

So, yes, this is why the Solarium is so incredibly convoluted - for a while, we had no idea what we were doing either, we were just adding steps (often stolen from their own theorizing) to drive people crazy :v:
I was a fairly keen part of Solarium Krew at first, but I'm glad I just took my usual approach to SS13 with it; left all the complicated learning-stuff poo poo to the nerds and brute-forced my way to glory, in this case by putting together a fleet of super-pods and sitting at escape demanding that the admins spawn an Omega Drone for me to destroy in the name of science.

Such people have a crucial role in these things :v:

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Montegoraon posted:

Had some interesting things happen a couple rounds ago. Most of the crew on #1 was off on a telescience expedition. I was the AI, but I spent a good amount of time in my shells tagging along in the new area (which I'm not going to talk about). Anyway, as I said, most of the crew was gone. We were using non-permanent teleportation to save power, though it seemed unnecessary. But that's not the important part. When I went to receive an expedition borg back to the station because it was low on energy, I discovered that the telescience control room had been replaced by spatters of blood and empty space. How annoying. Worse, there was nobody in the station who had mechanical knowledge, so they were well and truly stuck. Fortunately, someone (I don't know if it was the same admin or a different one) took pity on us and created a permanent portal that we could travel through. It was pretty annoying, though.

Ahh, I was one of the people stuck out in telesci, Lia. We weren't using perm portals because there's a random event that can happen - a little explosion - that can destroy the telepad. Which ended up getting destroyed by something else, and no one really knows quite what, still.

It wasn't that people on-station didn't have the knowledge to fix things, it was that no one noticed my repeated requests for old teleporter parts except for you, I think thanks guys v:v:v

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Haine posted:

Ahh, I was one of the people stuck out in telesci, Lia. We weren't using perm portals because there's a random event that can happen - a little explosion - that can destroy the telepad. Which ended up getting destroyed by something else, and no one really knows quite what, still.

It wasn't that people on-station didn't have the knowledge to fix things, it was that no one noticed my repeated requests for old teleporter parts except for you, I think thanks guys v:v:v

Even if they did, how were they supposed to get those parts to the Meat Station? There was no portal, and I'm pretty sure the local teleporters can't go to the expedition levels.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Yeah, I screwed up. I was the clown in the telescience room and wanted to cover the room in blood and log off. So I did - except when I spawned the blood, I must have misclicked with the wide area spawner and deleted the floor too...

Sorry about that :(

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds
^^^ Like we've been telling you in IRC, it's cool, wonkman. Accidents happen!

Montegoraon posted:

Even if they did, how were they supposed to get those parts to the Meat Station? There was no portal, and I'm pretty sure the local teleporters can't go to the expedition levels.

I had sent a beacon through earlier, which I also mentioned to people back on-station, so as long as the old teleporter was in one piece, they just had to chuck the parts through there.

I managed to get one set up later on after Conor spawned the perm portal, and it worked out just fine.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
People should be more considerate when giving joke laws to the AI. I can't very well be both a Japanese schoolgirl and a drunken Scotsman.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can be a drunken Scotsman pretending to be a Japanese schoolgirl, though. Or even better, a Japanese schoolgirl pretending to be a drunken Scotsman.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Spamming as a brobot got my right ear phone to bust

if I wasn't so mad I'd be rolling around laughing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

William Bear posted:

People should be more considerate when giving joke laws to the AI. I can't very well be both a Japanese schoolgirl and a drunken Scotsman.

Och aye, whiskey kawaii! :nyoron:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Och aye, whiskey kawaii! :nyoron:

This made me laugh with gusto, good work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, uh, I just tried weaponising Potassium and water. I hoped it would have taken a while longer for the reaction to happen, instead of instantaneously after I fired the flamethrower. Perhaps if I lower the temperature further?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Somebody posted this a few pages back, it seems like what you're looking for.

Apo123 posted:

You can put 2 chems into a hypo, they will react. However, I'd like to mention something that people apparently don't know: cooling down water makes ice, a separate reagent from water that does not react with things that water reacts with. If you heat it up, it turns into water and then reacts.

A very nasty flamethrower combination I've rampaged with a few times is potassium + ice + smoke powder. When you fire, your shots will explode on the tile you clicked. Anyone in the smoke range from your shot who doesn't have internals on will explode internally, likely losing multiple limbs (I've seen people lose ALL FOUR LIMBS from a single shot point blank). If you wear blast armor from the armory or industrial space armor, you will take no damage. You will be stunned for firing, but you will recover faster than other people around you so you can pick your flamethrower back up and continue to fire.

Bonus: When the AI/security sics Beepsky on you and you get stunned, people nearby are likely to pick up your flamethrower and fire it at you. You will only take very minor damage from being on fire, and they will end up doing major damage + stun to themselves from firing it unless they're also wearing explosive resistant armor.

Be sure to implant yourself with maximum microbombs for when you inevitably get killed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, I used the Ice, but it still reacted straight out of the flamethrower.

E: To clarify, it did not detonate on the space I clicked, it detonated on the space I was on. I was shooting into the genetics pen, and what really blew up was the genetics lab.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 26, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, uh, I just tried weaponising Potassium and water. I hoped it would have taken a while longer for the reaction to happen, instead of instantaneously after I fired the flamethrower. Perhaps if I lower the temperature further?

Reactions that come from combining two chems happen instantly, with no delay for you to get out of the way. I'm fairly sure that the heating caused by a lit flamethrower is also instant, meaning that any heat reactions in the chems you fire from it will happen the instant they leave the flamethrower nozzle, while they're still on the same square you're on. I can still think of a way to make a flamethrower shoot explosions that are delayed enough to reach the target square, though. You just have to leave the flamethrower unlit and use some other heating method that is gradual.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

E: To clarify, it did not detonate on the space I clicked, it detonated on the space I was on. I was shooting into the genetics pen, and what really blew up was the genetics lab.

Ice and Potassium are some of my favorite flamethrower combinations. I generally do about 60 units of Ice, 60 of Potassium, 60 Unstable Mutagen, and 20 of Black Powder. There will be explosions lit or unlit from the ice warming and melting. If the flamethrower is lit it will immediately explode taking you with it, a bomb suit is recommended. The other will explode after a few moments when the ice melts causing the potassium & water explosion which in turn causes the black powder to explode. It's horrible and awesome all at the same time.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Note that the guy said to use blast armor so you don't blow yourself the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Also that you'll want the flamethrower unlit; if the ice was sufficiently cooled, you should have a couple of seconds before ambient tile-warming heats it up, which SHOULD still happen, weird though the temperature system is. It can be unfortunately difficult to both observe a hellmix and put proper distance between you and it, a lesson which the Doomthrower video demonstrated well, and which most chemists will learn if they ever play around with anything at all ever.

• Locked thread