Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

They already did. You claim not to not know what happened to the old thread but I'm skeptical of that.

To refresh your memory; the thread and the game were both so lovely, and it's defenders so delusional that the thread was moved to GBS and given the greenlight for poo poo posting. The thread lived out the rest of its miserable existence there and we've been MWO free ever since. "The people" of SA have already made their choice.

Dude, to be fair, people were sucking this games dick hardcore when it first came out. The thread originally, you could not say anything negative about it without being attacked. We did kinda do a pathetic 180 on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It was a cool and fun game and then it became a bad game with lovely developers that lied to get money out of people.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Chronojam posted:

I fondly remember back in 2012 when it was scheduled to be done within 90 days of beta, then by Feb 2013, then Q2 2013, then sometime 2013 "for sure," then early 2014 and so on.

I still remember the thread on their forums calling out goons with rampant bitching from pubbies that goons ruin everything. I think I had more fun screwing with the forums than I did in the actual game, even back in the beta. I did DoA Paul because he's a lovely lovely pilot though.

Logged back into this shitshow to drive a Stalker around, got two matches in and re-uninstalled the game. Glad I only put 20 dollars into the game, saved me enough money to piss away on Colonial Marines instead. :suicide:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I said come in! posted:

Dude, to be fair, people were sucking this games dick hardcore when it first came out. The thread originally, you could not say anything negative about it without being attacked. We did kinda do a pathetic 180 on this game.

If you want to be fair you need to convey how the game was built up to be legitimately good. Then things got steadily worse, jumped the shark with ghost heat, and the game has apparently been circling the drain this whole time since.

Nobody here was going to be crazy enough to actually defend what it became and their patcher system means there's no way to play the old versions. Plenty of diehards on the MWO forum were screaming that if you didn't blindly support the game there would be no good MechWarrior for 10 years, joke's on them because Microsoft was going to yank the license in 2015 or something but now PGI's got it extended out to like 2020.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
To be fair, the game is still pretty fun if you can separate from your inner sperg for a second. That said, I haven't bothered diving into it again seriously since UI2.0 seems to have made performance ridiculously lovely for me when previously I was running at a solid 75+ FPS. Lots of stuttering and freezing up for seconds at a time.

Also it's kinda lame that penta AC/2s are still nerfed.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

I said come in! posted:

That's the dumbest loving thing ever.

Yeah, it was an absolute cash grab for the diehards that would spend $50 on clan mechs. I have plenty of disposable income but I can't justify spending such an absurd amount of cash that is totally out of line with the rest of the successful F2P industry.

I want to say the last Clan Mech becomes available for C-bills(Timberwolf probably :iamafag:) in like...October.

But there's still a ton of fun to be had piloting the IS mechs. Atlas is still a beast, and is usually available for trial.

I realize those guys might feel like they're running on fumes in terms of income vs staffing/hardware requirements to keep the game going but don't they realize cutting those absurd prices and upping the 'free' value of the game will just result in more players and thus more income?

edit: Also they made MGs pretty drat good. I run a Firestarter with some MGs and lasers and once the internals get exposed as a mech has taken some damage those MGs just rip them to shreds and it's a blast.

The one thing that sucks, though, is that the way the game is balanced there's just no real role for mediums/lights except because of the tonnage requirements you have to have some. And as a light you *have* to have speed tweak and a max engine or you're just a lovely medium and nobody will have a problem hitting you, and speed tweek requires unlocking 3 variants basic skills (8 in total) before you can get the 'elite tree' speed tweak.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oswald ownenstein posted:

I want to say the last Clan Mech becomes available for C-bills(Timberwolf probably :iamafag:) in like...October.

That's the only mech I want too. That was the mech on the cover of Mechwarrior 2 and it made me want to buy that game. What the devs should do with this is make every single mech available with in game credits, but you can buy each one for like $5, or special versions for maybe $10 that are equipped with really good loadouts and have custom paint jobs so they stand out.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That's the only mech I want too. That was the mech on the cover of Mechwarrior 2 and it made me want to buy that game. What the devs should do with this is make every single mech available with in game credits, but you can buy each one for like $5, or special versions for maybe $10 that are equipped with really good loadouts and have custom paint jobs so they stand out.

Surprise, they did the opposite with their big "Clans are here in six months maybe" promotion:

You could buy cumulative tiered clan mech packs for $USD. The first few tiers were mechs like the Nova, Puma, up through the top-weight Dire Wolf. Above the Dire Wolf, at a higher price, they placed the much smaller Timberwolf precisely because you would recognize it and want it. There were a couple more above that too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

But I am playing this game because ugh I love MechWarrior and it's still fun and I have disposable income.

Yes PGI are greedy as gently caress and it's a game for older dudes who love Battletech and have some disposable income to throw around

Yeah, it was an absolute cash grab for the diehards that would spend $50 on clan mechs. I have plenty of disposable income

Hey guys I think OP is trying to tell us something!

If you don't like MWO you're probably a disgruntled poor. Maybe if you had some money you could enjoy great games like this. Get a job!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys I think OP is trying to tell us something!

If you don't like MWO you're probably a disgruntled poor. Maybe if you had some money you could enjoy great games like this. Get a job!

You seem to have some outright obsession about the OP.

Edit: Did he steal your lunch money or kick your dog or something? It's getting kind of creepy already.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

You're right, too much focus on Mr Ownenstein. Let's see what wider world thinks about Mechwarrior Online instead!

When Forbes.com writes about your outrageous pricing model I think something might be wrong!

Even the "baseline score is 80%" gaming media says PGI is a developer you can't trust. (from Gamefront)

Ouch.

Even Star Citizen fans are wary of MWO. That's right, even the folks who believe Chris Roberts is a visionary developer realize how terrible MWO and PGI are.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Tracula posted:

Edit: Did he steal your lunch money or kick your dog or something? It's getting kind of creepy already.

Seriously. We get it that you hate MWO (most of us do too!) and you hate the OP for bringing up old wounds and reminding you of how PGI betrayed you and then hosed your mom. But gently caress off already, your posts suck and aren't contributing to this thread.

Edit: Okay, the post above is pretty ok.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Hey when community warfare (which is coming soon) is released, ~let's all play together~

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I don't know anything or care to know anything about the Mechwarrior universe and I can say this game used to be fun and is now less fun.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Blackdog420 posted:

Hey when community warfare (which is coming soon) is released, ~let's all play together~

Is that... ok seriously, I haven't checked into this in anyway in like a year and a half now. But is that still not out?

Holy gently caress.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Why op? Why? Why did you work your shitmancer ways and recreate a poo poo thread for a poo poo game that crushed a lot of our poo poo hopes? Why?

:suicide:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iridium posted:

Is that... ok seriously, I haven't checked into this in anyway in like a year and a half now. But is that still not out?

Holy gently caress.

Funny you should mention it! About two months ago Russ "load of bullocks" Bullock held on AMA on reddit and that question came up!

Community Warfare totally coming this fall guys! As you can see the community totally supports them.

PGI is just too swamped making mechs to get on those maps. But they'll think about it, promise! More overwhelming community support follows.

lol

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

I really liked Mechwarrior Living Legends for what it's worth. Pretty sure I mentioned that about every single page in the last thread but it was true.

MW:LL was loving fantastic, and if PGI had done a competent job of actually copying how MW:LL did their weapon and armor numbers then MWO wouldn't have turned in to a huge pile of poo poo.

That's the galling part is that there was already a very well balanced mech game out there, but PGI stood their ground and doubled down over and over again on their abysmal loving design and balance skills. Thanks Paul, you useless piece of poo poo.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I mean ghost heat is lame but they did it for a pretty understandable reason. It's just not a very good solution to the problem they were trying to solve.

Their real "reason" in your first sentence was to prevent new players finding out the game had any depth by nerfing experienced players with well thought out mech builds. They actually said they didn't want people min/max'ing builds in a game limited by heat management with switchable components.

They also said the problem they were trying to solve was pinpoint damage, something that was never an issue pre Host State Rewind and wouldn't even by much of an issue post-HSR if anyone at the company had the slightest clue how their game actually worked.

Absolutely brilliant gameplay in closed beta though, who could have guessed then that a large part of game balance was down to bugs/lag that they were determined to fix?

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

It is absolutely hilarious to me that someone created another thread for this game, and that I am posting in said thread.

MWO: A game not worth #save-ing.

That being said, if they ever release a Marauder mech, I will play a few rounds with it for nostalgia's sake. The Marauder was the design that first attracted me to Battletech, over 20 years ago.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Are machine guns and flamers usable yet or are they still a joke weapon in the name of canon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Game is bad yall.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

AP posted:

Their real "reason" in your first sentence was to prevent new players finding out the game had any depth by nerfing experienced players with well thought out mech builds. They actually said they didn't want people min/max'ing builds in a game limited by heat management with switchable components.

They also said the problem they were trying to solve was pinpoint damage, something that was never an issue pre Host State Rewind and wouldn't even by much of an issue post-HSR if anyone at the company had the slightest clue how their game actually worked.

Absolutely brilliant gameplay in closed beta though, who could have guessed then that a large part of game balance was down to bugs/lag that they were determined to fix?

They said (not making this up) that it was unfair that veteran players could exploit heat-efficient loadouts. Of course, they also insisted that double-heatsinks (well, 1.4x heatsinks) must remain mathematically superior in every way to default heatsinks -- thus ensuring new players are explicitly kept at a stark disadvantage until they earn enough money to upgrade and replace their equipment.

Don't forget that their "ghost heat" did not impact the 2PPC+1Gauss combination that every sniper or jumpjet user was relying on, and instead killed all the hard counters and DPS competition. Literally made the problem worse.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Yeah the reason I keep bringing up the disposable income part is because, honestly, as much as I'm enjoying this game...it isn't very free friendly. I spent some cash on this game (since I never spent any in beta) to get the hero Firestarter and some premium time.

That said, if you like Mech games, it's still fun to play. IIRC the first several games give you a big C-bill bump until you have enough to buy your first mech, then they slow down bigtime.

They're also performance based rewards so guess who tends to get better performance? Heavies and assaults, natch. More kills + winning = more money and XP.

Stalkerr posted:

It is absolutely hilarious to me that someone created another thread for this game, and that I am posting in said thread.

MWO: A game not worth #save-ing.

That being said, if they ever release a Marauder mech, I will play a few rounds with it for nostalgia's sake. The Marauder was the design that first attracted me to Battletech, over 20 years ago.

I must have missed the entire debacle - all I found was that I couldn't locate the thread anywhere via searching, and figured instead of constantly wondering that I'd just nut up and make a thread for it :colbert:

Also, I have a big boner for the Mauler from the MW2:Mercs box art. The Marauder I think has legal trouble surrounding it?

koolkal posted:

Are machine guns and flamers usable yet or are they still a joke weapon in the name of canon.

Machine Guns are pretty awesome now. Basically they suck until you blow the external armor off (which honestly doesn't take that long, especially if you're hitting from behind since everyone stacks armor up front) and then they start raping with crits and blow components/limbs quickly.

Flamers are awful still.

BTW, this game is a hell of a lot better than the flaming turd that was Tribes : Ascend. Maybe that should be the new thread title :smug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
By the way, in case any was hoping for a new Mechwarrior game...

Hope you can wait for the license to expire. Thanks Microsoft!

(Petition didn't work. As it turns out Obama isn't in the business of personally revoking commercial franchise licenses.)

BTW, this game is a hell of a lot better than the flaming turd that was Tribes : Ascend. Maybe that should be the new thread title :smug:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The only thing that doesn't suck hard about MWO is that it's free but then you actually play it and find it's incredibly unfriendly to free players.

Do not play MWO.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More than one goon will never be found playing MWO, but fwiw they relented on the group size restrictions. You can now have 5-10 mans that get the empty spots filled with pubbies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Hey, is this a cool thread for cool people to talk about Heavy Gear Assault, Hawken and other robot games?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Worst game, worst thread. Makes sense.

I wonder what the statute of limitations on being "retained" is---I wouldn't mind shooting robot again if it didn't involve giving pubbies the smug satisfaction that we didn't stay gone.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I legit was just thinking about Mechwarrior today and remembered I played this game for like 4 matches during the beta. I come and find this thread and I'm glad I did. Time to slip out the side door quickly if this game is so poo poo the first 3 pages are uniformly people ranting about how poo poo it is.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

YouTuber posted:

Wow I legit was just thinking about Mechwarrior today and remembered I played this game for like 4 matches during the beta. I come and find this thread and I'm glad I did. Time to slip out the side door quickly if this game is so poo poo the first 3 pages are uniformly people ranting about how poo poo it is.

A wise decision by a discerning goon.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Avynte posted:

More than one goon will never be found playing MWO, but fwiw they relented on the group size restrictions. You can now have 5-10 mans that get the empty spots filled with pubbies.

Wait, really? I thought solo queue was solo queue and that's it.

It would make sense though I've played plenty of matches against teams that just roflstomped us so hard and were so coordinated that it felt like there had to be some premade groups (if even just 3-4 guys) in the set of 12.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
You should apologise for not mocking ghost heat. Also 8 v 8 was a lot better than 12 v 12.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:pgi:

MekTek died for this poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Interviews with Mr. Bullock

Sept 2013: We're really excited about this new feature in the works!

May 2014: gently caress it, we gave up.

:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

AP posted:

You should apologise for not mocking ghost heat. Also 8 v 8 was a lot better than 12 v 12.

In particular some of the maps - especially the beta maps - are just awful in 12v12. There's that one with water and a boat cracked in half which comes to mind.

I don't know enough about ghost heat to mock it but if you want to add a good quote I'll add it to the OP.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

There's that one with water and a boat cracked in half which comes to mind.

Forest Colony, that map used to be sunny and looked great then they added fog to make it look poo poo and put in a copy with snow that also looks terrible.

Put this in your OP http://i.imgur.com/hrsaeAm.gif

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I don't know enough about ghost heat to mock it

You seemed to know enough before...

I mean ghost heat is lame but they did it for a pretty understandable reason. It's just not a very good solution to the problem they were trying to solve.

It was brought in to nerf poptarting which is when people hide behind ridges and jump jet up to take an alpha strike (all weapons at once) shot and then pop back down.

There is a warning in the Mechlab when you hit a certain amount of weapons (lasers, at least) that you will generate more heat than normal if you fire more than 6.

You can play around it by putting those lasers in different weapon groups (3 in one, 4 in another, w/e) and shooting them like that one after another.

Oswald if you have sudden onset amnesia you should see a doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

YouTuber posted:

If you just want to shoot robots as a solo player it's pretty ok. Just don't expect anything more than the robot equivalent of a MOBA and you'll have a decent time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It was a pretty neat game, but discounting the legit criticisms everyone in the thread has made; I stopped playing because I got pretty drat bored of playing the same three maps on the same single gameplay mode (come on, nobody seriously enjoyed capture the points).

• Locked thread