Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of worthless fish, so it's a nice option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I tanked Annoy the Void yesterday for my guildhest roulette. One of the DDs started yelling at me to stop killing the demon dog adds; they were dying just due to lots of Overpowers, not me specifically targeting them. But I've run it a couple times and so far the strategy we used was to kill the adds, then quickly interact with the flames that appear to give you time to focus on the demon, rinse and repeat until you win. Maybe this guy was just impatient? :shrug:

We won the fight, but many of us got very close to death several times because there were like 10+ adds to mop up after the demon went down. It just felt messy.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

You can totally ignore the flames, but the dogs need to be killed anyway so you might as well take them out first (or AoE them every few waves) to keep tank damage down.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Doesn't release also prevent you from catching the same type of fish in the same fishing session, or did I imagine that?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thern posted:

Doesn't release also prevent you from catching the same type of fish in the same fishing session, or did I imagine that?

That's correct (and the main purpose of Release).

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Thern posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

That's correct (and the main purpose of Release).

I've used release multiple times, I was actually testing it in Southern Thanalan dune fishing last night, and I still caught the same fish I had been releasing. They simply don't go to your inventory if you catch the same fish. You just throw them off the hook. Unless it's a consistent catch and release of a type of fish that drops the percentage of that fish appearing. And I'm not sure there's a way to prove those stats if that's the case as it could be a case of confirmation bias.

e: If I'm wrong I'd really like to know how it works though. I too am tired of catching white coral.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
It doesn't adjust catch rates, it's just a way to prevent loading up your inventory with poo poo you don't care about

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a way to reliably HQ the materials for one-star crafts (stuff like Darksteel Ingots/Spruce Lumber/Hippogryph Leather etc) with a basic HQ artisan set?

I can HQ one-star armor 90% of the time right now, is that about the limit of what I can make before I need to start spending and melding?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pierson posted:

Is there a way to reliably HQ the materials for one-star crafts (stuff like Darksteel Ingots/Spruce Lumber/Hippogryph Leather etc) with a basic HQ artisan set?

I can HQ one-star armor 90% of the time right now, is that about the limit of what I can make before I need to start spending and melding?

What do you need to HQ those for? With the bare minimum stats to make 1* and 2* items you should be able to reliably HQ them with 100% NQ mats. What are you using for a rotation?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Did some more hunting last night, it's crazy how much time people spend on this. One guy signed off while I was on, who was saying he had hunted for 9 hours earlier and was on his 3rd hour of the second session for the day. I mean I know a lot of people play way more than I do, but a 12 hour day is insane.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Pierson posted:

You should be able to do this even with an unmelded Patrician's set. If you're still not sure, fully meld the all-class stuff (accessories + belt).

Having the right skills matter too. At minimum you should have Steady Hand 2, Tricks of the Trade, and Byregot's. For 40 durability crafts, Manipulation and Waste Not are helpful. If you're still having issues with these skills then look up what rotation you should be using.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't need them for 1star but I did assume that 2star items would be a big jump in difficulty and need HQ components, is that not the case?

I just did this this week;

so I'm still melding my AF sets, haven't started any 2star crafts yet (and then probably only furniture).

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 24, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ouhei posted:

Did some more hunting last night, it's crazy how much time people spend on this. One guy signed off while I was on, who was saying he had hunted for 9 hours earlier and was on his 3rd hour of the second session for the day. I mean I know a lot of people play way more than I do, but a 12 hour day is insane.

Yeah the rewards feel a little too good so I can see why people would want to cash in now. After a couple days of grinding it I seem to be settling into capping my Soldiery every week and maybe an hour or two a night but no more. I don't even have any Weathered gear to upgrade yet so outfitting all my alt jobs in full Myth gear then not worrying about the rest seems like the move.

Having a painless way to cap Soldiery with the means to instantly upgrade a Weathered piece every other week is nice though.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
I can reliably craft 2* stuff using all NQ mats with only the all-class stuff melded, unmelded Patrician's stuff, and an unmelded Dodore Doublet. I have every DoH to 50 except alchemist and blacksmith. With all those skills it should be easily doable for you.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
If you have at least 4 hours a day to hunt and aren't consistently screwed out of A rank kills, you can cap your Soldiery on Tuesday and at least make 250 seals a day. Depending on S ranks and book drops, you can possibly get even more.

Or if you really have no life you can do like one guy I know and do nothing but sleep and do hunts for over week and get almost 40 books between seals and drops. :shepicide:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What about three-star furniture? I notice that has double the difficulty of the nearest 2star item, is that the point at which melding becomes essential?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pierson posted:

I don't need them for 1star but I did assume that 2star items would be a big jump in difficulty and need HQ components, is that not the case?

I just did this this week;

so I'm still melding my AF sets, haven't started any 2star crafts yet (and then probably only furniture).

HQing 2* components (i.e. rose gold ingots, vanya silk, etc) can be tricky because you only have 40 DUR to work with. HQing 2* finished products (80 DUR synths) is a lot easier, even with only NQ materials. Basically the only difference between 1* and 2* is the base requirements, and that you need to hit Ingenuity II instead of Ingenuity I at the end.

Pierson posted:

What about three-star furniture? I notice that has double the difficulty of the nearest 2star item, is that the point at which melding becomes essential?

Furniture is really easy to make because you don't have to worry about improving quality at all. Even 3* stuff, just hit it with Piece by Piece a few times and you're golden.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm assuming my strategy of Comfort Zone, Ingenuity II, Careful Synth 2 until it's almost finished, Steady Hand 2, Hasty Touch like a motherfucker, Master's Mend 2 at some point, Hasty Touch more, and then finish with Great Strides, Ingen2, and Byregot's is a bad strategy then right?

I can barely HQ 1star like this even with good gear, and if too many hasty touches fail then I'm hosed so I know I'm doing something real bad. Educate me, knowing goons...

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

For 80 dura?

It depends on your stats, I'm at 394 craft, 382 control and 352 CP for all crafts so for 2* I just go:

IQ, waste not, SH II, basic x 5, SH II, basic, GS, inv, ing II, blessing, CSII x2. Then I have 5 dura left over because why not?

It probably doesn't even need the innovation. Even when your stats are real bad you probably don't need hasty for 1* stuff if you can cram in enough CP with food.

edit: One way to improve on what you're doing is to stack SH, GS, ing II, blessing at the end and then use the appropriate number of CSII, I don't think you can possibly need more than 3 moves to finish, so you just saved 32 CP from cutting ing II and CS II from the start.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Yeah the rewards feel a little too good so I can see why people would want to cash in now. After a couple days of grinding it I seem to be settling into capping my Soldiery every week and maybe an hour or two a night but no more. I don't even have any Weathered gear to upgrade yet so outfitting all my alt jobs in full Myth gear then not worrying about the rest seems like the move.

Having a painless way to cap Soldiery with the means to instantly upgrade a Weathered piece every other week is nice though.

Yeah, I'm going to do it more to unweather some stuff and pick up a few more sol pieces. Capping Sol isn't hard anymore (run expert roulette once a day and you'll go over), but capping sol while earning the pieces to unweather is pretty great. Sadly most days I can only jump on the hunt for 1-2 hours so it still takes some time. That and I get bored of it so I go run a dungeon or something since playing "teleport and get 4 shots off on a target" get's old after a while.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

So what's the best way to level my chocobo? Can I reset those skill points if I want to?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

HelloNewman posted:

So what's the best way to level my chocobo? Can I reset those skill points if I want to?

Yes, you can reset your chocobo (and keep the current level/skill point total) using Reagan Peppers. You can buy them from your Grand Company when you are at max level for 48k seals... or you could spend less than 30 minutes ideally and earn 20 allied marks from hunts to buy one.

As for the best way to level, it depends on how lazy you are. I'm lazy as hell so I just feed mine hourly.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wasting money on sub time waiting for a server to open so you can play is really loving dumb.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

wasting money on sub time waiting for a server to open so you can play is really loving dumb.

It's not that freaking hard to get on to excalibur (well unless it's gotten much harder in the last month or so), I was able to do so several times at ~7:30am EST when I moved over (I redid my character a few times). It pays off once you're in one of the guilds and you have an immediate support network of people to answer questions and help you progress through the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Algid posted:

For 80 dura?

It depends on your stats, I'm at 394 craft, 382 control and 352 CP for all crafts so for 2* I just go:

IQ, waste not, SH II, basic x 5, SH II, basic, GS, inv, ing II, blessing, CSII x2. Then I have 5 dura left over because why not?

It probably doesn't even need the innovation. Even when your stats are real bad you probably don't need hasty for 1* stuff if you can cram in enough CP with food.

edit: One way to improve on what you're doing is to stack SH, GS, ing II, blessing at the end and then use the appropriate number of CSII, I don't think you can possibly need more than 3 moves to finish, so you just saved 32 CP from cutting ing II and CS II from the start.

Yeah, if you have lower levels of Craftsmanship and Control that also works but you'll need more to it.

My rotation is: CZ/IQ/WN/SH2/Basic x5/GS/SH/Standard/Inno/Ing2/GS if not Excellent/BB/CS2 x3, and that's basically at "bare minimum to make 2*s" level of Craft/Control.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ouhei posted:

It's not that freaking hard to get on to excalibur (well unless it's gotten much harder in the last month or so), I was able to do so several times at ~7:30am EST when I moved over (I redid my character a few times). It pays off once you're in one of the guilds and you have an immediate support network of people to answer questions and help you progress through the game.

Yeah, but I'm either asleep or heading to class in am hours so at this point I get to wake up extra early just to play a video game.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, but I'm either asleep or heading to class in am hours so at this point I get to wake up extra early just to play a video game.

You can save your appearance the day before and just spend 3 minutes mashing through the menu before you leave. Once the character is made you're all set.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As Dragoon, assuming it's safe to do so, should I be using Jump on cooldown or waiting for Power Surge for each Jump?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chucat posted:

For you, the day the hunt swept through Eastern Thanalan and killed Maahes was the most important day of your life. But for us, it was 9:45 Eorzean Time.

Even good things can come from bad movies.

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. SE should have known better after the many ways they tried implementing HMs in FFXI. This isn't a good system, it's not challenging or fun. Luckily, it's also not very beneficial, at least for me at this specific time.

It might not be beneficial to you, but in general the rewards for seals are loving insane. An uncapped method of getting oils/sands is huge. Even if they made it so you could only buy one oil or sand per week it'd be a big deal.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

As Dragoon, assuming it's safe to do so, should I be using Jump on cooldown or waiting for Power Surge for each Jump?

Jump on CD unless power surge is up within like 10 seconds. Ideally you should be holding your power surge so it lines up with your Blood for Blood as well, but you can't always do that.

If Power Surge and Blood for Blood are not going to line up on CD, pop Power Surge or B4B if other CD's are up and waiting (You should be holding B4B to line it up with your offensive CD's like Power Surge and Internal Release as much as possible). If no CD's are going to be up soon look for a chance and pop jump.

Dragonfire Dive can also be popped on CD, but only if your B4B won't be up within the next 10ish seconds. Spineshatter Dive I tend to hold for B4B always.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ryanbomber posted:

You can save your appearance the day before and just spend 3 minutes mashing through the menu before you leave. Once the character is made you're all set.

Yeah, wake up 10 mins early one day and then be set, goons are worth it.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

Just in case you don't know about this, here's a link showing when the servers actually check to open and their current status for character creation.

e: As of now Excalibur is open for creation, and will be until 4:00 P.M. EST/1 P.M. PDT when the servers check themselves for capacity strain again.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 24, 2014

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

Yeah, I did this when trying to get on Hyperion. Finally made it on at 3 AM one morning.

Robo Reagan posted:

I'm married and don't have a lot of free time nowadays, and I thought I wouldn't be able to play this game at all, but I manage it. I get up extra early in the morning before work to play, even if it's just to run roulettes. It helps me wake up my brain and keep a good morning routine. YMMV but it works for me :shobon:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samba De Amigo posted:

Just in case you don't know about this, here's a link showing when the servers actually check to open and their current status for character creation.

e: As of now Excalibur is open for creation, and will be until 4:00 P.M. EST/1 P.M. PDT when the servers check themselves for capacity strain again.

Oh nice, I was sitting there last night hitting refresh every half hour or so because I thought it was based on number of people currently online. Thanks.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
For crafting 1, 2, and 3 star items is the generally preferred method to use an over-melded HQ Patrician's set or a melded AF set for the craft? I'm not sure whether I should invest in overmelding my Patrician's set to cover all of the crafts if I'm going to just have to use AF anyway.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Verno5x posted:

For crafting 1, 2, and 3 star items is the generally preferred method to use an over-melded HQ Patrician's set or a melded AF set for the craft? I'm not sure whether I should invest in overmelding my Patrician's set to cover all of the crafts if I'm going to just have to use AF anyway.

If you plan on never doing master recipes ever, you can save yourself the trouble of melding the AF for each crafting class by partially melding Patrician's/Dodore. This will let you craft any 1* and 2* craft. Otherwise, master recipes require a fully melded AF set. 3* is always a master recipe.

1* & 2* are pretty easy so you don't even have to fully meld everything... I can do it with just accessories melded.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Verno5x posted:

For 1 and 2 star items a Patrician set will let you do everything.

For 3 star items you need at minimum full HQ crafter AF which is melded pretty much to max bonuses. I'm taking maybe 3 craftsmanship and 5 control leeway separating the most stats you can have on at once and how much is needed to start 3 stars. This is with the i70 tool.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

1* can be done with no melding, just high-level class-agnostic gear. (Forget if it needs to be HQ, but it's not like HQ-ing a sub-50 synth is any challenge if you've got the skills lined up. And if you don't, focus more on leveling crafts and getting skills, than on pimping out your gear.)

2* can be done with heavily melded accessories and either lightly melded class-specific (e.g. AF) or more heavily melded class-agnostic (e.g. Patrician's) equipment. (e: Probably a good idea to get the 2.2 i70 spectacles when you can, rather than waste materia melding any hats.)

3* requires heavily melded class-specific stuff, plus a 2.2/2.3 i70+ mainhand tool.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 24, 2014

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I've just hit level 50, still working on the main storyline (Castrum Meridianum up next), but one thing that's been bothering me - I have a lot of rank 1, 2 and 3 materias clogging up my inventory and I'm not sure what to do with them. I try and spiritbond everything, and if I recall correctly spiritbonding is faster on equipment that's been melded.

Should I keep on saving them, should I use them whenever I feel like, or do they have a better use?

I've also noticed a lot of people talking about the large hunting groups and linkshells, as a ps4 player is this pretty much off limits to me as I don't have teamspeak, or can teamspeak be used another way (smartphone or something)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HampHamp posted:

I've also noticed a lot of people talking about the large hunting groups and linkshells, as a ps4 player is this pretty much off limits to me as I don't have teamspeak, or can teamspeak be used another way (smartphone or something)?

Teamspeak is available on both Android and iOS, but it is not free on either so you'll have to pony up a few dollars if you want to go that route.

• Locked thread