Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

I bought an android phone to use as a wifi device. Is there an app that will let me send texts for free without having a phone number with a text plan?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cenotaph posted:

I bought an android phone to use as a wifi device. Is there an app that will let me send texts for free without having a phone number with a text plan?

Google Voice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You still need a phone number for that (and possibly a texting plan), If you want as a wifi device, Whatsapp works for that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ThermoPhysical posted:

You still need a phone number for that (and possibly a texting plan), If you want as a wifi device, Whatsapp works for that.

Did they change it? I'd signed up for a GV number years ago and could always text, even if I didn't have cell signal.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Does anyone know how to access settings in the newest Dolphin Browser?? Not even their website has been updated to reflect the new UI. It was already a pain in the rear end, now I can't find it at all.

Edit: Just found it.

It seems this only appears when you're at a website. In the lower right hand corner you'll see a transparent dolphin symbol. Click it. A little 3 option half circle of icons pops up, the one to the left most and bottom is the old 3-lines menu icon. Click that and you'll get a smattering of options, one of them being settings.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2014

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

You do not need a phone number to SMS with Google Voice, only call.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

cenotaph posted:

TextNow

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hooah posted:

Did they change it? I'd signed up for a GV number years ago and could always text, even if I didn't have cell signal.

I think so?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/2jjXTmTsDd4

grilldos posted:

You do not need a phone number to SMS with Google Voice, only call.

They must've changed it then cause I remember signing up a while ago before I even got Android but needed to supply a phone number (either from Google themselves OR you still needed to provide one somehow).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to tie your Google Voice account to a real phone number so that you can't have multiple Voice accounts. I've tried a few times with my other accounts and it never lets me sign up.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
OK, so I just bought an Android tablet, and think it's pretty cool, but a couple of things puzzle me. First of all, wtf is up with the Youtube-app? Do I have to jailbreak the device in order to let the APP keep playing in the background? Also Firefox is terribly buggy, and Chrome has almost no privacy control. The whole ecosystem gives me a mid-90s Internet shareware vibe. Plus gently caress autocorrect. Hank you.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

midnightclimax posted:

OK, so I just bought an Android tablet, and think it's pretty cool, but a couple of things puzzle me. First of all, wtf is up with the Youtube-app? Do I have to jailbreak the device in order to let the APP keep playing in the background? Also Firefox is terribly buggy, and Chrome has almost no privacy control. The whole ecosystem gives me a mid-90s Internet shareware vibe. Plus gently caress autocorrect. Hank you.

The Youtube app doesn't play in the background; you'll have to use a different app to do that.

Have you tried Opera, Dolphin, or the many other browsers out there? Firefox and Chrome are the most popular desktop browsers, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good mobile experience.

You can turn autocorrect off, or use a different keyboard. I like SwiftKey; others like Minuum, Swype, Fleksy, or a million other keyboards. That's the core strength of Android: variety.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Holy poo poo, Google updated Chrome stable and now it won't fail to display a loaded page if you don't switch to another tab after it stalls! Hallelujah!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

First of all, wtf is up with the Youtube-app? Do I have to jailbreak the device in order to let the APP keep playing in the background?

From googles point-of-view youtube is a video app (not a music or podcasting app), you can't see the video when your screen is turned off. Therefore it pauses videos when the screen is turned off.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is there a way to tie the screenshot option to power on/off and airplane mode? Was standard on my Xperia, on my Moto G, not so much!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Burqa King posted:

Is there a way to tie the screenshot option to power on/off and airplane mode? Was standard on my Xperia, on my Moto G, not so much!
Not without rooting. I'll admit down+power is not easy on Motorolas with the buttons on the same side.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Youtube app doesn't play in the background; you'll have to use a different app to do that.

Have you tried Opera, Dolphin, or the many other browsers out there? Firefox and Chrome are the most popular desktop browsers, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good mobile experience.

You can turn autocorrect off, or use a different keyboard. I like SwiftKey; others like Minuum, Swype, Fleksy, or a million other keyboards. That's the core strength of Android: variety.

Is there a preferred alternative to the Youtube-app? I tried one, but it couldn't handle playlists. Opera makes some pages look a bit weird.

Sereri posted:

From googles point-of-view youtube is a video app (not a music or podcasting app), you can't see the video when your screen is turned off. Therefore it pauses videos when the screen is turned off.

According to some pages, the background function will be part of a paid service. Or maybe that's old news.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Not without rooting. I'll admit down+power is not easy on Motorolas with the buttons on the same side.

Down plus power is a standard thing or just an example of a shortcut you use with an app?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Burqa King posted:

Down plus power is a standard thing or just an example of a shortcut you use with an app?
That's how you take a screenshot on Android (unless the OEM changes it).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a preferred alternative to the Youtube-app? I tried one, but it couldn't handle playlists. Opera makes some pages look a bit weird..

As far as I know, Viral is the least ugly YouTube app that supports background playing but I have no idea how it handles playlists.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've got a dozen of Asus Transformer tablets for work, a small outpatient medical office. The idea is to place a tablet in each exam room, and load up a surveymonkey website on them to get immediate feedback from patients.
I'm looking for an App to lock down the tablet, so all that can be done is load up the SurveyMonkey website, and nothing else. The KioWare Kiosk Lite (http://www.kioware.com/kwl_android.aspx) is great, but $45. I've also tried "Kiosk Browser" and "SureLock Kiosk Lockdown" and a couple of other free ones, but the KioWare app is much better... just expensive. Does anyone know of an app that is cheaper than $45 (less than $20 would be great)?

The required features are:
- When powering tablet on, it goes directly to web browser, with surveymonkey site loaded
- User can't browse to any other sites
- User can't close app, or launch any other apps

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Is there an app out there to back up emails I get from a pop3 account to gmail or something?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

wargames posted:

Is there an app out there to back up emails I get from a pop3 account to gmail or something?

Gmail can do this directly.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

But this is from the phone email app to gmail.

Are their any apps out there that use aspose.email with out me having to write code?

https://developer.tizen.org/forums/web-application-development/add-email-programming-features-android-application-using-aspose.email-android

wargames fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 23, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

Is there a preferred alternative to the Youtube-app? I tried one, but it couldn't handle playlists. Opera makes some pages look a bit weird.

I use this and it works quite well, but I only use it to play stuff in the background.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

wargames posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can get Gmail to automatically fetch email from a POP3 account, it's in the settings section of the web client.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
How do I uninstall icon packs? I've downloaded a couple but didn't like them but can't find an uninstall button in Nova Launcher. Do I have to manually delete them using a file browser? On a Moto G with Android 4.4.4

Edit: VVV - Thanks!

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 24, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Ringo R posted:

How do I uninstall icon packs? I've downloaded a couple but didn't like them but can't find an uninstall button in Nova Launcher. Do I have to manually delete them using a file browser? On a Moto G with Android 4.4.4

Did you install them via the app store? Uninstall them in the Application Manager. I'm using Minimal MIUI as a reference.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

bunky posted:

I use this and it works quite well, but I only use it to play stuff in the background.

Yep, that seems to do the trick. Thanks a lot!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a decent voicemail app? The one from Sprint that came on my HTC M8 has been really aggressive on trying to get me to sign up for visual voicemail.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

effika posted:

Is there a decent voicemail app? The one from Sprint that came on my HTC M8 has been really aggressive on trying to get me to sign up for visual voicemail.

Google Voice is the best voicemail app, it automatically transcribes the voicemail and sends it to you in an email. The transcription is poo poo but it is almost always close enough where you can figure out the entire purpose of the voice mail without listening to the stupid thing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Three Olives posted:

Google Voice is the best voicemail app, it automatically transcribes the voicemail and sends it to you in an email. The transcription is poo poo but it is almost always close enough where you can figure out the entire purpose of the voice mail without listening to the stupid thing.
If you install Google Voice you can listen to voicemails like any other sound file. It will also highlight the words in the transcription as they're said.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Even if something better VM related comes along I will never switch off of GV transcription because these are always hilarious.

This is a perfectly understandable VM from my optometrist. Google. :allears:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Even if something better VM related comes along I will never switch off of GV transcription because these are always hilarious.

You sure it's not a call from your proctologist? They were attaching an rear end, after all.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Haha, I'll have to give Google Voice a chance. Thanks, thread!

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Why isn't there a toggle/disable pattern lock app/widget that works on non-rooted devices :confused:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My mom has been smoking and drinking whiskey for 30 years and is from Arkansas, so Google Voice doesn't even loving try to transcribe her messages.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

polynominal-c posted:

Why isn't there a toggle/disable pattern lock app/widget that works on non-rooted devices :confused:

Because that's a huge security hole.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just wish Google Voice voicemail notification would work properly more than 20% of the time.

I've gotten into the habit of reflexively opening the app after a missed call because I can't be sure I'll get a notification of a new voicemail. Meanwhile, I'll occasionally get notification of a voicemail on one of my tablets....weeks after I listened and deleted it from the phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh man, one of my favorite wagons to jump upon.

gently caress the Google Voice app and how I can't stop using it because I like Voice in general.

I'm always this close to giving up on it.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I just switched my voicemail message to one asking the listener to hang up and send me a text instead and I haven't gotten that many voicemails since.

• Locked thread