Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Swan Oat posted:

The United States is a blood-mad country and we will never be rid of the death penalty because brutalizing people is a part of our national DNA.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The death penalty is on the decline and if memory serves a pretty big majority of states actually either abolished it completely in a legal sense or left it on the books but no longer practice it. Of course, the states that do still execute people are generally dystopian hellholes run by conservatives. Big surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

dystopian hellholes run by conservatives

No need to repeat yourself :v:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The national euphoria and gatherings of drunk idiots chanting U-S-A after Osama bin Laden's murder was sickening and proves that we are indeed mad for blood.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Swan Oat posted:

The national euphoria and gatherings of drunk idiots chanting U-S-A after Osama bin Laden's murder was sickening and proves that we are indeed mad for blood.

I was certainly mad for Osama bin Laden's blood.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fried Chicken posted:

Or how about this aspect of "compassionate conservatism" - those Bush changes to Medicare and Medicaid meant we started tossing mentally ill people in jail rather than hospitals

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/22/5924169/states-that-deny-anti-psychotics-to-the-poor-have-lots-of-mentally

http://www.ajmc.com/publications/is...renia?vsmaid=31

So how is that turning out?
Rikers: Where Mental Illness Meets Brutality in Jail

As a person with Schizophrenia these stories really hit home for me. Before I was on medication (provided to me free of charge by government assistance) I had a number of delusions that plagued me, and as a result I committed a great deal of non-violent felonies. (Mostly related to a large Shroom growing operation I was part of with another mentally ill individual). I had assurances from Enoch (Yeah, the Biblical Enoch) that I was helping raise the vibration of the planet and that was my mission in this life, which is really the only reason I ever got involved in such a risky loving endeavor. When i read stories like the above it could just as easily have been me getting beaten for trying to kill myself in prison.

Without government assistance in the form of free medication and extensive (15+ hours a week for seven months) therapy I am positive I would have offed myself long ago. Before I finally broke down and accepted treatment, I was getting really really bad.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I am adamantly opposed to the death penalty, but if it must be done, I support bringing back the guillotine. :getin:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Spatula City posted:

I am adamantly opposed to the death penalty, but if it must be done, I support bringing back the guillotine. :getin:

Doing it in the most messy way possible may end support for the death penalty faster than anything else.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The Onion, as always, has the answer

'Ohio Replaces Lethal Injection With Humane New Head-Ripping-Off Machine'

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Zeroisanumber posted:

Q: “Ask them: ‘Exactly when in a pregnancy do you think abortion should be banned?'  ”

A: I think the decision about when to have an abortion is between a woman and her doctor and that all women should have access to quality medical care.

A, part 2: Why do you think there's a "one-size-fits-all" answer to that question?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Swan Oat posted:

If you're suggesting you won't celebrate when someone like Cheney or Scalia is gone you're lying. :colbert:

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're certainly staking a lot on gotcha questions. I mean, Jesus, these are questions that democrats have been spiking back in the GOP's face since Roe v Wade first came down.

Q: “Ask them: ‘Exactly when in a pregnancy do you think abortion should be banned?'  ”

A: I think the decision about when to have an abortion is between a woman and her doctor and that all women should have access to quality medical care.

I was hearing this poo poo when I was in grade school, it's not a novel strategy.

You need to work in a BIG GOUBMINT thing to gently caress with the conservatives.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will somberly break the slightest of smiles.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Supreme Court: the death penalty is "bad rear end"

http://youtu.be/Hyph_DZa_GQ

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hello Sailor posted:

A, part 2: Why do you think there's a "one-size-fits-all" answer to that question?

At this point you've opened the door for me to a dream world of political rhetoric and grandstanding. If that was actually a GOP follow-up question, I might take a moment to kiss my opponent's feet for giving me such a wonderful opportunity.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're suggesting you won't celebrate when someone like Cheney or Scalia is gone you're lying. :colbert:

Hopefully there is a tasteful, idyllic site picked out for Cheney's final resting place.

for me to poop on

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
EDIT: Wrong thread.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cute, the Democrats' supposedly much-too-liberal immigration reform bill has 10% of the funding go to Israel for Iron Dome.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Like as much as 'gently caress the Israeli government' is a reasonable statement at this point, the Iron Dome is a pretty cool system from what I just read on wikipedia. It's a defensive system that pretty effectively shields areas from rocket attacks.

I would be calling it a pretty awesome thing if it were in the hands of a government that weren't incredibly lovely.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 24, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Warcabbit posted:

I literally don't understand why we didn't switch to carbon monoxide poisoning in the 60s or 70s. I'm not in favor of the death penalty for a number of minor reasons, but this specific implementation? I'd rather be shot, or well-hung.

During the 60s and 70s there were major backlashes in general that led to "temporary suspensions" and outright bans, followed up by the nationwide moratorium between 1972 and 1976. Interestingly, when capital punishment came back after that, most states that formerly had multiple methods tended to settle down to just lethal injection, or rarely lethal injection + electric chair.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Swan Oat posted:

bin Laden was actually a huge dickhead who played a major part in the most harmful event to happen on American soil in sixty years and anyone who wasn't celebrating his death is either his friend or a holier-than-thou douchebag.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

The main part of it, the "Opportunity Grant" program, just rolls SNAP, TANF, welfare, and housing support up into a big block grant to the states. He puts conditions on it so that they can't just blow the whole thing on repaving roads, but it's just 20 pages of, ":shrug: let's have 50 different welfare programs".

I'll give him a bit of credit that the next section on the EITC expansion at least pays for part of the program by cutting agriculture and energy subsidies (and also food stamps, natch), but I have a whole list of (collapsing) bridges to sell you if you think that would ever make it to a floor vote.

He's advertising it as being easier for people, which it may be, but he keeps talking about sacrificing funds for food and heating for other things like transportation. Government provided associates to make sure the poor are suffering enough on a personal level.

You can trade your family's heat and food assistance for transportation assistance so you can get a job while your cold family starves! It's like a game, specifically living in the totalitarian dystopia from Papers, Please!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

bin Laden was actually a huge dickhead who played a major part in the most harmful event to happen on American soil in sixty years and anyone who wasn't celebrating his death is either his friend or a holier-than-thou douchebag.

There's a difference between 'alright we got the bastard' the way things kinda were with Saddam Hussein and "YYESSSS BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD HAHAHHAHAHAHA BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD SLAY THE ENEMY TEAR THE FLESH" the way things got when Bin Laden was killed. People would have celebrated if we had tortured him to death over the course of a week and a half, and it's a disgusting attitude to have towards any sentient creature.

Like I was glad we captured Saddam Hussein and that he was put on trial for his war crimes, and I'm not sad that Bin Laden got what was coming to him, but I will admit to getting caught up in the goddamned bloodthirsty frenzy of jingoism that was that night and I'm not proud of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magres posted:

There's a difference between 'alright we got the bastard' the way things kinda were with Saddam Hussein and "YYESSSS BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD HAHAHHAHAHAHA BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD SLAY THE ENEMY TEAR THE FLESH" the way things got when Bin Laden was killed.

Like I was glad we captured Saddam Hussein and that he was put on trial for his war crimes, and I'm not sad that Bin Laden got what was coming to him, but I will admit to getting caught up in the goddamned bloodthirsty frenzy of jingoism that was that night and I'm not proud of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI8EUqbWdM

There's a dude wearing a Hulkamania shirt at :40.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Not gonna lie that's a pretty rad shirt

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Magres posted:

There's a difference between 'alright we got the bastard' the way things kinda were with Saddam Hussein and "YYESSSS BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD HAHAHHAHAHAHA BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD SLAY THE ENEMY TEAR THE FLESH" the way things got when Bin Laden was killed.

The difference mainly that Saddam didn't murder 3,000 innocent Americans on live tv.

Never mind that the college kids out celebrating it would have been in 2nd grade when it happened, this was bogeyman who had been hovering over them since childhood being run down.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Magres posted:

There's a difference between 'alright we got the bastard' the way things kinda were with Saddam Hussein and "YYESSSS BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD HAHAHHAHAHAHA BLLLOOOOOOODDDDD SLAY THE ENEMY TEAR THE FLESH" the way things got when Bin Laden was killed. People would have celebrated if we had tortured him to death over the course of a week and a half, and it's a disgusting attitude to have towards any sentient creature.

Well, one of them directly attacked the US, the other was just a terrible shithead.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Magres posted:

I know that, at least in my case, I was thrilled that a Democratic president was the one who got it done. Democrats may suck, but breaking the myth that only Republicans can do national security stuff well (when, in fact, they're extremely bad at it) is one of the most important changes that need to happen in the US.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
With regards to Bin Laden's crimes vs Saddam's crimes:

And? This seriously doesn't excuse the way people acted. I'm not even being holier than thou and judging people as terrible shitheads for getting caught up in it, I was right there with everyone else chanting USA USA USA and singing stupid songs. But it's worth reflecting on it and recognizing that even though Bin Laden was a terrible shithead, bloodthirst is unarguably a bad thing. If we had captured him and locked him away in humane conditions for the rest of his existence, people would have been furious. I wouldn't have been happy! I wanted that fucker dead! And it was a bad way for me to view things :shrug:

Majorian posted:

I know that, at least in my case, I was thrilled that a Democratic president was the one who got it done. Democrats may suck, but breaking the myth that only Republicans can do national security stuff well (when, in fact, they're extremely bad at it) is one of the most important changes that need to happen in the US.

This is a super valid silver lining. Big O succeeding where Bush failed miserably will never stop being a point of :smuggo: towards people who espouse that poo poo.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 24, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

The difference mainly that Saddam didn't murder 3,000 innocent Americans on live tv.

Never mind that the college kids out celebrating it would have been in 2nd grade when it happened, this was bogeyman who had been hovering over them since childhood being run down.

Yeah, I was 9 years old when 9/11 happened and while it wasn't the Big Deal it was for someone in New York it felt good to finally get that over with.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think what I really mean to be getting at is the difference between grim satisfaction and resolution to something terrible happening (these aren't unhealthy things to possess and want) and America working itself up into a frenzy to the point that if Obama had said "WE GOT BIN LADEN, NOW LETS GET THE REST! NUKE EM ALL!" I feel like most of the country would have said 'HELL YEAH HIT THE BUTTON MISTER PRESIDENT!' It's the same kind of national attitude that lead to stuff like the Patriot Act, imo

E: vvvv yeah that's about where I'm at. It's unsettling to see people doing that, but I totally get where they're coming from

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I understand the feeling but seeing people gather spontaneously to cheer because of the death of a human being made me uncomfortable. I definitely had mixed feelings.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's gotten to the point where I can't stand the sight of people with American flags or the words "Freedom" or "Liberty". The Tea Party has usurped just about every bit of those three things to the point where they're poison. Things to be shouted and waved in the faces of terrified children as a sign of dominance.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Magres posted:

drat, that doesn't actually look like a bad way to go.

I'm not an expert, but isn't our 'OH GOD I MUST BREATHE' reflex a response to too much CO2 in our body, not a response to a lack of oxygen? I remember reading that at some point, and in practical terms the two are the same thing for nearly all areas on land, so I believed it.

Breathing in otherwise healthy individuals in triggered by the bloods Ph, and since CO2 makes blood acidic it's the usual trigger. There's a backup system called the hypoxic drive that's active in people with chronically acidic blood i.e COPDers. Interestingly people with a hypoxic drive can be killed by giving them too much O2, in which case they stop breathing all together.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

ReindeerF posted:

CANDYMAN CANDYMAN CANDYMAN.

Yes?

Fake Edit:

I've been getting kind of interested in the Founding Fathers and Early American history recently. They get a lot of their moral justification from the idea of "Natural Law". I've been wondering if the idea of Natural Law has a place in modern society or if it should go the way of powdered wigs. What do you goons think?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Talmonis posted:

It's gotten to the point where I can't stand the sight of people with American flags or the words "Freedom" or "Liberty". The Tea Party has usurped just about every bit of those three things to the point where they're poison.

I agree with you but maybe these will help (even though he's dead).

http://www.oocities.org/zardoz_420/graphix/hst_flag.jpg

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-15279471.jpg?size=67&uid=ba4d533a-8002-47cb-a182-ff50b6a6ca1a

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Natural law was the bullshit excuse they used to keep slaves, right? I can't remember it being mentioned in a positive light in today's world.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

You're right that does help, thanks.

The final nail in the coffin of old-school journalism died with him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tigntink posted:

Natural law was the bullshit excuse they used to keep slaves, right? I can't remember it being mentioned in a positive light in today's world.

I think you're thinking of the later "slavery as a positive good" argument which was more an ante-bellum 19th century thing than an early Republic one (though surely there were some people back then who did think slavery was the natural state for Africans). The founders, generally, tended to lean towards a more "necessary evil" attitude toward the institution (save those who weren't slaveholders, who could lean soft-abolitionist at times), though it's hard to say that such a position wasn't supremely convenient for them as it, you know, let them stay rich and not have to do anything.

Natural law in their context is more an Enlightennment-era "certain truths universally apply to all people*/institutions" thing.

*yes, yes, people here defined rather differently than we do these days.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Tigntink posted:

Natural law was used as the excuse to do a lot of things both good and evil. Something as simple as: "I own land." Or "Don't murder people" Have their basis in Natural Law. Common Law is really just an offshoot of natural law.

In a modern context "natural law" could be used to argue that something like healthcare for instance should be available to everyone because it is accepted as a natural and universal truth that human life is precious and prolonging human life and the quality of human life is something natural for humans to commit a significant portion of their collective resources to pursue.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
For me Osama really came to be a sideshow for all the damage republicans went on to do for a long time after 9/11, when he died I thought it was a good feather in the cap for Obama and was happy it made repubs look so loving petty and incompetent to be moaning about it when they failed for years to ever get him.

Personally I will be way more excited when Dick Cheney dies. I really can not wait for that twisted motherfucker to croak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Aliquid posted:

Cute, the Democrats' supposedly much-too-liberal immigration reform bill has 10% of the funding go to Israel for Iron Dome.

It prevents Palestinian rockets from immigrating illegally into Israel, the secret 51st state. Seems totally legit to me :confused:

• Locked thread