Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Can you just go to a store and buy all these medals?

There are literally racks upon racks of medals/badges/insignia at the uniform stores of pretty much every military base. You can also get them through military surplus stores. Neither place will ask for proof that you've earned it, but if you walk in wearing a seaman's uniform and throw down a Medal Of Honor (or something nearly as prestigious) on the counter to buy, you're going to get questions asked.

Every time I had to buy a ribbon or medal (because half of the time my poo poo command wouldn't actually give you the physical medal when they awarded it) I was paranoid that I was going to get the wrong thing and end up looking like one of these clownshoes:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I had no idea you had to buy your own medals. That's a load of poo poo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DNova posted:

The military is learning from the free2play video games. Out of ammo? Wait for 30 minutes or pay $1.49 for three extra clips!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DNova posted:

And I imagine you can be charged for not wearing a medal you should be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

As in "more hosed up than a soup sandwich".

You could freeze the soup, slice it, and stick it on the bread.:colbert:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's a soupscream sandwich, not a soup sandwich :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's more hosed up than a soup sandwich.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
It really doesn't help that there are sites out there that will tell you exactly how your ribbons should look and army documents that go into proper appearance with excruciating detail.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Not if its gazpacho.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

unzealous posted:

It really doesn't help that there are sites out there that will tell you exactly how your ribbons should look and army documents that go into proper appearance with excruciating detail.

That just makes it funnier that he hosed up.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

unzealous posted:

That super does help if you are in the military. I'm way to lazy to look that stuff up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

kalstrams posted:

girl falling gif

Is the real schadenfreude that this poor quality picture is 17 Mb?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not if its gazpacho.

I'm sending it back.

It's cold.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Samizdata posted:

I'm sending it back.

It's cold.

Souper.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DNova posted:

Free market, man

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

DNova posted:

If you're the type that likes to keep one of every uniform ready, even getting one with your award won't help. Not to mention that getting a warfare insignia means that you then either have to sew it on every uniform, pay a tailor to do it, or marry a dependapotamus and have them do it for you.

Something else fun to think about, when a branch decides that it needs to get rid of an old style of uniform and adopt a new one, every single service member gets to go out and buy it. The amount of money people spend on uniforms is staggering. God bless the military industrial complex:911:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

grumplestiltzkin posted:

If you're the type that likes to keep one of every uniform ready, even getting one with your award won't help. Not to mention that getting a warfare insignia means that you then either have to sew it on every uniform, pay a tailor to do it, or marry a dependapotamus and have them do it for you.

Something else fun to think about, when a branch decides that it needs to get rid of an old style of uniform and adopt a new one, every single service member gets to go out and buy it. The amount of money people spend on uniforms is staggering. God bless the military industrial complex:911:

Man, it's really too bad you didn't get a uniform allowance, y'know?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

hooah posted:

Man, it's really too bad you didn't get a uniform allowance, y'know?

Man, it's too bad that the people who freak out about someone having a quarter inch tear or a tiny spot of paint on a pair of coveralls(a uniform that is only worn underway) aren't the same ones setting that uniform allowance.

There's keeping your appearance neat an orderly, and there's fetishising a uniform. Most of the higher ups do the latter. My allowance literally never covered the cost of even half of my uniforms. This isn't the place for this derail though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just remembered I was given apparel allowance when I did my 10 months conscientious objector service. Even back then it didn't buy you more than a couple of t-shirts and a pair of jeans.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Moatman posted:

Someone who's military could correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going off the low res pictures on wikipedia. The ones on the outside of the top row look like freefall and basic parachute badges, middle of the top row is spec ops diving (not sure), the one that looks like a helicopter is air assault, I don't know the bottom left is (combat medic?). The rifle is a combat infantry badge.

Pretty much correct. The best part is that he's wearing a Combat Infantry Badge with TWO stars, meaning he would have had to have seen combat in THREE separate wars (Iraq and Afghanistan counting as one).

patb01
Jul 4, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

oh boy Perverted Justice. Ignoring the fact that their running "omg isn't this guy so gross ugh" commentary is unnecessary and awful for a moment....nothing was ever quite so creepy as discovering someone on a mailing list a friend ran turned out to be their #1 "Most Slimy" perv a few years later.

For the record, he was exactly what you'd expect given the screenname and photo.

In this case I would imagine the fact that it is way too loving big for him didn't hurt.

Ok yea that rear end in a top hat, I remember when I was younger I was in a Star Trek Creative writing group with that guy, I was still new to it and suddenly the guy's character has a horrifically gory death and the Mod puts out a note, basically saying he's gone, don't even bring him up. Now I'm kinda WTF is going on so I messaged the mod through ICQ kinda like what happened, turns out dude was skeeving on the GM's 13 year old daughter.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together till I saw his PJ bust.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Seriously, another Star Trek/Pedophile data point?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

oh boy Perverted Justice. Ignoring the fact that their running "omg isn't this guy so gross ugh" commentary is unnecessary and awful for a moment....nothing was ever quite so creepy as discovering someone on a mailing list a friend ran turned out to be their #1 "Most Slimy" perv a few years later.

For the record, he was exactly what you'd expect given the screenname and photo.

In this case I would imagine the fact that it is way too loving big for him didn't hurt.

Reading what that sickening person typed made me ill in a way the Pain.jpg series never, ever could.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Seriously, another Star Trek/Pedophile data point?

That's why I gave that up, too many wierd bastards get involved But yeah he was like a 9 on the Aatrek scale of creep.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Finally, don't you have it when an escalator tries to eat your dress?
I thought this kind of thing only happened in anime.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Good Doggies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLddaYJ6Y8

I'm actually kind of impressed at their intelligence. "This is the man throwing hurt at the man who feeds me, I should go teach him the error of his ways."

The owner is even nice enough not to let them eat him for dinner.

Tiny has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jul 25, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've never seen a real actual fight where a dude took of his shirt as the "oh it's on" move. I don't usually call fake, but I don't buy it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I've never seen a real actual fight where a dude took of his shirt as the "oh it's on" move. I don't usually call fake, but I don't buy it.

I live in Southern CA and I see it all the drat time. People who fight a lot realize that your shirt is actually durable enough to be used against you by someone pulling it over your head or using it to jerk you around. A shirtless, sweaty human is a hell of a lot harder to get ahold of than a fully dressed one.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Say Nothing posted:

Finally, don't you have it when an escalator tries to eat your dress?
I thought this kind of thing only happened in anime.

That happened to me with a long skirt once. Fortunately, it was thin material, so I could just tear the escalator-swallowed part off. I looked stupid with a jagged short part on my long skirt, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Escalators will eat whatever fabric comes their way. I've seen them eat backpack straps (fortunately not mine) a couple of times. Don't put your backpack down on the escalator, kids!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Snapchat A Titty posted:

From my recollection it's 100% real. That's pro/street skater Mike Vallely and he did poo poo like this a LOT. This vid dates back to like the early 2000s.

The gif doesn't show the whole fight, but he beats the poo poo out of those kids.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Jul 25, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

natetimm posted:

I live in Southern CA and I see it all the drat time. People who fight a lot realize that your shirt is actually durable enough to be used against you by someone pulling it over your head or using it to jerk you around. A shirtless, sweaty human is a hell of a lot harder to get ahold of than a fully dressed one.

Makes sense that you'd want to avoid having a potential noose around your neck. I guess most fights I've seen or been in have started too fast to make those kinds of precautions.

e: I mean, he blindfolds himself (momentarily), that's pretty dangerous in a fight. Though looking at it again, they don't realize he's going to go for them... they're just standing around giggling when he pulls off the shirt.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny posted:

Good Doggies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZLddaYJ6Y8

I'm actually kind of impressed at their intelligence. "This is the man throwing hurt at the man who feeds me, I should go teach him the error of his ways."

The owner is even nice enough not to let them eat him for dinner.

Good doges. :3:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Makes sense that you'd want to avoid having a potential noose around your neck. I guess most fights I've seen or been in have started too fast to make those kinds of precautions.
Thats a move that a person who has fought so much that they are in or past an "optimzing" stage of their street fighting career.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Mike Valley fight video that the gif is from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmrDlkBsxQ

edited for better video

Biscuit Joiner has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 25, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Thats a move that a person who has fought so much that they are in or past an "optimzing" stage of their street fighting career.

Anything that can be grabbed is a potential problem. Tight fitting clothing is always a plus. The real optimization comes when you start burning your shoe laces together so they can't come untied...I hung out with some real psychopaths.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Snapchat A Titty posted:

e: I mean, he blindfolds himself (momentarily), that's pretty dangerous in a fight. Though looking at it again, they don't realize he's going to go for them... they're just standing around giggling when he pulls off the shirt.

He's essentially taking the measure of those dudes when he pushes them. When nobody pushes back or swings, he probably figures he can get away with taking his shirt off.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Wasted version, for those of you who enjoy that meme (myself included)

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Pierzak posted:

Does a hot sandwich (meat on bread, covered in gravy) count as a soup sandwich ? Its pretty good. At what point does a gravy become a soup?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

natetimm posted:

He's essentially taking the measure of those dudes when he pushes them. When nobody pushes back or swings, he probably figures he can get away with taking his shirt off.

It makes logical sense, and I don't really doubt it, I've just known so many dudes who get in literal street fights like that guy does in that gif, and they usually aren't the most forward thinking guys, you know? I mean, taken as some min-max rpg poo poo, it makes sense to push them all in one move, check their reaction patterns, alright nobody is an immediate threat, I'm gonna toss my tshirt and get punching. You know? thats not how real brains work. Usually its A/B punch/dont punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

If memory serves, the dude who rips his shirt off and starts throwing punches is pro skateboarder Mike Vallely. I think Bam Margera was involved somehow, so there's some debate as to whether the whole thing was legit or staged.

Edit: beaten

Sef! has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread