Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
That wouldn't stop them from hiring Pinkertons.

I wish A View to a Kill would happen IRL because the Bay Area is poo poo and the tech industry there in inherently toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I work in a Bay Area tech company and while I don't know any uber-Randians, most of our actual developers are Indian. A lot of people do have some kind of "earned it all" type attitude. The people with business or finance backgrounds are the worst. Well, actually the pharma sales and marketing people my wife has to work with are the worst.

Most people, deep down, wouldn't agree with the way they were privileged at the expense of others. So they need this fictive "I am well off because I worked hard" narratives to excuse themselves. Tech is just gigantic now and joining Finance, which we already accept is full of assholes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RaySmuckles posted:

My single anecdotal experience with this culture is a very close friend of mine who went to Stanford for both undergrad and grad school. Upon receiving his masters and getting a job through one of his professors came back with the opinion that "college is worthless." I get that the college is system is far from perfect, but for someone who has everything they have because of it to then turn around and poo poo on it is insane to me, especially since I don't have a college degree.

He's a white, middle-class male.

I think its just a combination of a) making a lot of money (societal approval). b) being in a booming industry (a seeming abundance of jobs/work/anyone can do this). c) experiencing the radical changes IT has brought us (changing the world/pioneer). d) being "a part of that" and constantly being in a culture that tells them "you are the best loving thing in the world right now. everything you do is right." (carefully managed ego stroking). They are successful and the human brain wants to believe that too/justify it as them being better than everyone else.

Is he debt free?

Obviously if the statement "college is worthless" was intended seriously and without nuance, it's a dumb thing to say. But is college worth going on subsidized loans? Depends on what you get out of it. Is it worth going if you finance it with usurious unsubsidized loans? Probably not.

In any case, I'm sure your friend isn't thinking that deeply about it and is just dumb and blind. But what made me sometimes think "college is worthless" after I graduated was seeing how little many people were learning while getting a degree. For a motivated person an autodidactic approach is probably better for the pure acquisition of knowledge and skill; but of course that neglects the factor of degrees being a giant "EMPLOYABLE" flag (for no good reason, but it's true nonetheless).

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

Rime posted:

So it can have three pages of people spewing racial epithets and then fall into obscurity in about an hour?
I'm glad you think GBS is like that, I hope all of D&D thinks like this and also chooses not to post there

Smudgie Buggler posted:

How the gently caress is Unionism at odds with the unfettered free market? It's perfectly possible for collective bargaining to exist in a 100% laissez-faire stateless society. You know what couldn't? A corporation. They require acts of law to even exist.
Labor unionism has within its very nature moral and ethical values which libertarians find reprehensible. Solidarity, loyalty, discipline, collectivism - they despise all that stuff. Libertarians despise the idea of society or morality or anything at all beyond themselves. They probably would have more in common with opulent labor bureaucrats than with all the "authoritarianism" inherent in unionism.

There's a reason why they always call liberals and conservatives fascist, its bevause the idea of subordinating their individual interests or their individuality to anything at all is offensive. Even if its a two percent tax rate/fines for cursing in public.

They're overgrown children who have been indulged by their awful parents, by their very few friends, by their elite universities, and now by their STEM jobs. They are as antisocial and alienated from society than the most LF loser here, but they've embraced their loneliness and alienation on even an ideological level.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Filippo Corridoni, 2014 nonlibertarian and staunch ~defender of gbs~

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Is he debt free?

I think he is. That or he had enough help so that his loans are small. Plus he makes nearly six figures in his second (probably third this summer) year of work, so I'm pretty sure his financial situation isn't particularly troubling to him. Great friend of mine I'd like to add, so I don't want to sound overly critical. Its just painfully obvious that people like him are buying into techie culture; he's a bit up his own rear end regarding the tech world.

Disruption, "Life hacks," the singularity, running the government by computer, etc.

People like him buy the hype. Not because they're stupid, but because they're idealistic. They've seen how much the world has changed already and know that the world will continue to radically change. And they are the ones doing it. And they're being told by everyone around them that the sky is the limit, and it truly is. Of course we back on earth realize that the tech industry IS radically changing the world, but rarely for the benefit of the people and predominantly for the rich. These young idealists are being manipulated and/or bought off by having their work elevated and venerated as well as giving them something to lose (money). Its complicated, but I think most of us, if we were suddenly given wealth and prestige, would handle it poorly. I know I have at times in the past (to a much lesser extent, but in a similar manner) and I think its human nature to hold on to power and further interests that benefit you.

Plus, a lot of these people DID work super hard, and ARE smarter than many of the people around them, regardless of if they were born with privilege or caught all the breaks. While the potential is within all of us, many of these people are the ones who harnessed theirs and made sacrifices (within their own personal lives) to achieve the station they have. So for us we shouldn't deride them and call them spergs or imply they have mental health issues, we should try to convince them that they DO have a lot to offer the world and provide them with ways to help the people instead of the corporations. Unions, organized labor, any sort of movement that can free these people from the echo chambers they live in and bring them to our side. Do we think stopping their buses or pulling off their obnoxious face-phones are going to shame them into our cause? No, these actions only push them away by making the fight between we the people and them, instead of the people vs the rich/corporations/systems of power.

tl;dr they're pawns of a system that gives them more than we do

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

Of course we back on earth realize that the tech industry IS radically changing the world, but rarely for the benefit of the people and predominantly for the rich.

I don't really see how it isn't doing it for the better. People do get rich off it, but all this radical change is hardly 'rarely for the benefit of people'. Cashless Kenya, having a literal 'ask any question you can think of' in the form of google, connecting people across the world and being able to communicate essentially instantly.

Maybe you can think off some stuff that is 'only for the rich' but I'm pretty sure it's done much for for the common person.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Why are (software) developers, almost unanimously, slavish devotees of Ayn Rand?

Hey you're a pretty smart guy aren't you? Why would you support the lazy poor? You aren't a lazy moocher are you? Off course not, you're intelligent and hard working! The only reason you aren't as rich as us are those lazy poors pulling you back into the bucket.

Vote Ron Paul

PS: We'll need that app ready by tomorrow, bring your razor and pajamas.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MeLKoR posted:

PS: We'll need that app ready by tomorrow, bring your razor and pajamas.

A razor? I've eliminated the need to take time away from work to eat by drinking soylent and popping a couple of immodium every couple of hours to ward off the diarrhea from not consuming any solid food, but still I have to stop working to make my boss richer for three whole minutes to shave! Why can't somebody disrupt this archaic paradigm?!

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
why yes my auto shaver is a box filled with spinning razor blades, but I think you'll find I'm a software engineer, expert of anything I put my mind to

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lord Windy posted:

I don't really see how it isn't doing it for the better. People do get rich off it, but all this radical change is hardly 'rarely for the benefit of people'. Cashless Kenya, having a literal 'ask any question you can think of' in the form of google, connecting people across the world and being able to communicate essentially instantly.

Maybe you can think off some stuff that is 'only for the rich' but I'm pretty sure it's done much for for the common person.

Phone post so it's short. They gave us unlimited knowledge and communication. We gave them full control. Every search you've ever made, page you've ever looked at, access to a camera while you do that, your exact location etc. it's probably harder to fight/resist power in the US now than ever. Barring their ability to smear you, shame you, disprupt you, or always be a step ahead of you; they can still can, do, and will crack your head open like never before.

We are living in the age of computers and disparity has never been higher. As if 2014, in the battle for equality, civility, and justice, we the people are losing. See: d&d for further info.

Edit: but I do suppose I can look up the plot to my favorite anime a faster than ever...

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 24, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lack or reduced empathy seems to be an important trait, but the thing about libertarianism is that it has a lot of just-so stories. Minimum wage doesn't work because ~thought experiment~. Imagine you're on an island, devoid of history or shared cultural values, ergo tax is theft. These stories have the appearance of being clever, but they tend to oversimplify or make approximations that are not justified/run directly counter to observed history. In the worst case scenario, these stories function as moralistic parables: if people don't act like they do in these stories, then they're dumb, stupid or bad and deserve whatever consequences they get (as a kind of divine punishment).

So if you're someone who likes to think of themselves as rational and clever, then you can just pull out one of these parables when you're in trouble. You live out the fantasy of having solved the EPR paradox, but for people instead of particles.

I'm not surprised, then, that traditional conservatives are completely different from libertarians: there, you can find a kind of humility in the expression of traditions and their importance. "We are simple people, we live by the rules handed down to us, which have a kind of inner wisdom to them etc. etc". Look all you want in libertarianism, you will never find any kind of humility, or tempering of one's own ego. It's all about livin' the dream, having your cake and eating it too. Don't worry about acting like an rear end in a top hat, The Market will handle all, don't worry about making the world a better place, simply doing what you want will solve that somehow.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

rudatron posted:

Lack or reduced empathy seems to be an important trait, but the thing about libertarianism is that it has a lot of just-so stories. Minimum wage doesn't work because ~thought experiment~. Imagine you're on an island, devoid of history or shared cultural values, ergo tax is theft. These stories have the appearance of being clever, but they tend to oversimplify or make approximations that are not justified/run directly counter to observed history.

Actually I have an example that popped up on tumblr the the other day that I responded to that specifically highlights minimum wage and just going ~la-la-la-la~ in regards to actual observed history. Like these people believe this is any way a realistic situation for a good deal of workers/employers

quote:

(Scenario 1)
Employer: I have this job available that requires a specific amount of experience and skill. It pays $X per hour.
You: I would like a job and I fit the qualifications. However, $X per hour is not enough.
Employer: I have another job available, but it requires experience and skill that you don't have, according to your resume. If you take the first job, you can get the experience you need to be promoted to the second job where you will get paid more.
You: I can either look for another employer who pays more for my skills and experience, or I can take this job and make do with less until I qualify for the better job. I get to make that choice!
(Scenario 2)
Employer: I have this job available that requires a specific amount of experience and skill. It pays $X per hour.
You: I would like a job and I fit the qualifications. Sure, I'd like to make more than that, but until I get more experience I can make do with this.
Government: Stop right there! Employer, you aren't paying this poor worker enough.
You: But I'm fine working for--
Government: Hush, I know what you need. Employer, pay $Y per hour!
Employer: At $Y per hour, I can only hire half as many employees. This "poor worker" won't get a job, since I can't hire anyone new and will have to fire people who are currently working.
You: Thanks, Government.
Government: You're welcome, citizen!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

In the worst case scenario, these stories function as moralistic parables: if people don't act like they do in these stories, then they're dumb, stupid or bad and deserve whatever consequences they get (as a kind of divine punishment).

Not function as, are moralistic parables:

When Charles Koch was in his 20s, he
attended a business function hosted by
his father. At that event, Fred Koch intro
duced Charles to a local oilman.
When the independent oilman politely
asked about the young man’s interests,
Charles began talking about all he was do
ing to promote economic freedom.
“Wow!” said the oilman, who was so im
pressed he wanted to introduce the young
bachelor to his eligible daughter.
But when Charles mentioned he was in
favor of eliminating the government’s oil
import quota, which subsidized domestic
producers, the oilman exploded in rage.
Your father ought to lock you in a cell!”
he yelled, jabbing his finger into Charles’
chest. “You’re worse than a Communist!”
It seems the oilman was all for the concept
of free markets – unless it meant he had to
compete on equal terms

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Charles Koch: Nasrudin

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Even from a FYGM perspective I don't get the hate toward raising the minimum wage:

Government: Stop there employer! You need to pay these people more!

Employer: Well, OK but I'll have to cut a few jobs I suppose since a marginal increase in prices or a cut from profits is out of the question. There's room for cuts since I hired more people than I really need out of the goodness of my heart. So let's see here who's the least productive and/or easiest to fire...

Employee: Sweet. I'm one of the harder working more deserving people here so I'll keep my job and there's less people for me to compete with so I have more leverage now.

Customers: Oh the service and atmosphere here is so much better than it used to be.

Edit: That said I do believe there are a lot of good alternatives to raising the minimum wage.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 24, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've been at about 4-5 tech companies and it's pretty standard to see a lot of socially liberal yet economically conservative types. What I didn't expect at times it's taken so-far as 9/11 Conspiracies which just boggles my mind. How can you be so smart yet so dumb?

What I think is even more hilarious or sad is how "techy libertarians" claim to be so awesome, capitalism is the way to go, yet the same organizations they believe in so dearly play them...

Apple, Google, Intel, Adobe Wage Fixing Case
Infosys Abuse

I don't understand how anyone believe in such a lovely ideal when it's clearly obvious it's not working. You can talk about lucrative financial compensation but when you factor in working through lunch breaks, on-call and 60-hour work weeks it's not as well-paying as they're made out to be... To bad unions are basically dead.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 24, 2014

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

rudatron posted:

Lack or reduced empathy seems to be an important trait, but the thing about libertarianism is that it has a lot of just-so stories. Minimum wage doesn't work because ~thought experiment~. Imagine you're on an island, devoid of history or shared cultural values, ergo tax is theft. These stories have the appearance of being clever, but they tend to oversimplify or make approximations that are not justified/run directly counter to observed history. In the worst case scenario, these stories function as moralistic parables: if people don't act like they do in these stories, then they're dumb, stupid or bad and deserve whatever consequences they get (as a kind of divine punishment).

So if you're someone who likes to think of themselves as rational and clever, then you can just pull out one of these parables when you're in trouble. You live out the fantasy of having solved the EPR paradox, but for people instead of particles.

I'm not surprised, then, that traditional conservatives are completely different from libertarians: there, you can find a kind of humility in the expression of traditions and their importance. "We are simple people, we live by the rules handed down to us, which have a kind of inner wisdom to them etc. etc". Look all you want in libertarianism, you will never find any kind of humility, or tempering of one's own ego. It's all about livin' the dream, having your cake and eating it too. Don't worry about acting like an rear end in a top hat, The Market will handle all, don't worry about making the world a better place, simply doing what you want will solve that somehow.
This is an amazing, drat quality post btw.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I think this must be a North American thing as most software developers I've met here (Scotland) are lefty socialists - notable exceptions include the GTA developers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

It's not as simple as "young people disdain the old". They have some good reasons to do so:

1. Politicians frequently don't know anything about the issues they are supposed to vote about, especially the ones techies tend to care about. This leads to somewhat hilarious situations like the one in Greece, where the government accidentally banned all video games while trying to curb illegal gambling.
2. There is currently a lot of resentment towards the older generations, mostly because they got what they children will never have. Take the pensions in Europe for example, which were not only silently slashed but the retirement age has been raised as well. A lot of millenials are simply pissed they have to finance generous pensions for the currently retired with zero guarantee they are going to receive theirs at all.

That basically is just "young people disdain the old", though. Many unionized jobs in the US are having similar pension woes, but instead of blaming the employers who slashed the pensions, young people blame the unions who were forced to make concessions. The same is true for government pensions and similar services; young people in the US don't bother trying to defend Social Security against cuts, leaving baby boomers as the only ones protecting our retirements, but when enough of them die off that they can't protect SS anymore, the millenials will blame old people for cutting a program our generation never tried to protect in the first place.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

return0 posted:

I think this must be a North American thing as most software developers I've met here (Scotland) are lefty socialists - notable exceptions include the GTA developers.

There is a libertarian streak in the white dude developer population in the U.S. for sure but it is a long way from being a majority let alone unanimous. This is a LF circlejerk thread.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Meanwhile, in the Uber thread in D&D:

quote:

Also, I know it hurts all your little socialist hearts, but the reason why libertarianism is on the rise is because people are sick of some regulations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

young people in the US don't bother trying to defend Social Security against cuts, leaving baby boomers as the only ones protecting our retirements, but when enough of them die off that they can't protect SS anymore, the millenials will blame old people for cutting a program our generation never tried to protect in the first place.

young people won't get to retire

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

The problem with finance articles like that is that they always act like if a person isn’t living an upper middle class lifestyle by the time they retire then they’re living in third world poverty. I mean at a 4% safe withdrawl rate $1.6 million in personal capital is $64,000 a year and that’s not including social security. That’s how much my wife and I currently make a year and we’re still financing a mortgage, some debts, matching a 401k, maxing two ROTHS, and will be supporting children. By the time we retire

Anyway, I have a feeling that many of the boomers are going to change their tune on taxes when they retire. According to census data most boomers have very little personal capital saved and are going into retirement with debt so there’s no way they’re going to get what they were promised without getting more money into social security. They wanted low taxes when they started working in the eighties so I’m sure they’re going to demand high taxes when they finally stop working. The only thing that worries me is who they’re going to push the cost onto.

edit:
Man that article even seems like it was written so older people would not feel bad for millennials. It starts off about how we apparently won't be able until we're 73 but then goes on to talk about how excited we are to work until we die.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 24, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maybe they should be defending Social Security and pensions then, instead of apathetically allowing them to be cut because "well they won't be around when I get old" in what has to be one of the biggest self-fulfilling prophecies in modern politics, right up there with "a government department was bad at a thing, defund it".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe they should be defending Social Security and pensions then, instead of apathetically allowing them to be cut because "well they won't be around when I get old" in what has to be one of the biggest self-fulfilling prophecies in modern politics, right up there with "a government department was bad at a thing, defund it".

Most young people will never have a pension to fight for and we've all been told by our parents that social security is doomed because our grandparents had too many greedy kids so no one questions that.

Taxes are so evil that the thought of raising them to prevent old people from dying in the streets is anathema.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Rime posted:

Programmers, and developers in general, have a bizarre fetish for the "unfettered free market", and bringing up any sort of unionization or labor movement with one inevitably leads into a frothing screed which would be very much at home on Free Republic.

In this thread we discuss why developers are so polarized against the idea of labor rights, when the lack of such protections is directly responsible for their ludicrous hours and health-destroying working conditions.

This includes VFX workers, oh lawd does it ever include VFX workers.

I am in tech and spend a lot of people with people in tech since freshman year of college and literally nobody I know worships Aye Rand in fact half of them loving hates her.

Filippo Corridoni posted:

They're overgrown children who have been indulged by their awful parents, by their very few friends, by their elite universities, and now by their STEM jobs. They are as antisocial and alienated from society than the most LF loser here, but they've embraced their loneliness and alienation on even an ideological level.
:agesilaus:

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2014

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Main Paineframe posted:

Right now exists as a way of having the younger generation of Americans who are getting screwed by a combination of bad economic policies/automation/globalization/being-told-going-to-college-for-liberalarts-will-get-you-a-job effectively subsidizing the older generation which cruised along on the golden age of regulated capitalism 1945-1973. It's basically a way of transferring wealth from a generation more screwed over to a generation less screwed over so I can see why our generation is resentful towards it.

quote:

Most young people will never have a pension to fight for and we've all been told by our parents that social security is doomed because our grandparents had too many greedy kids so no one questions that.

Taxes are so evil that the thought of raising them to prevent old people from dying in the streets is anathema.
Chances are SS is gonna be screwed because generation X/Y/Z aren't having enough kids.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

return0 posted:

What are Sam and Dan Housers politics?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rime posted:

Programmers, and developers in general, have a bizarre fetish for the "unfettered free market", and bringing up any sort of unionization or labor movement with one inevitably leads into a frothing screed which would be very much at home on Free Republic.

In this thread we discuss why developers are so polarized against the idea of labor rights, when the lack of such protections is directly responsible for their ludicrous hours and health-destroying working conditions.

This includes VFX workers, oh lawd does it ever include VFX workers.

Oh gently caress off.

That a good answer for you?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Typo posted:

Chances are SS is gonna be screwed because generation X/Y/Z aren't having enough kids.

The easy fix for that would be a combination of uncapping the payroll tax and making immigration to the United States easier.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

Phone post so it's short. They gave us unlimited knowledge and communication. We gave them full control. Every search you've ever made, page you've ever looked at, access to a camera while you do that, your exact location etc. it's probably harder to fight/resist power in the US now than ever. Barring their ability to smear you, shame you, disprupt you, or always be a step ahead of you; they can still can, do, and will crack your head open like never before.

We are living in the age of computers and disparity has never been higher. As if 2014, in the battle for equality, civility, and justice, we the people are losing. See: d&d for further info.

Edit: but I do suppose I can look up the plot to my favorite anime a faster than ever...

This is only because you have something to lose and want to maintain a bourgeois lifestyle. Technology has helped the truly oppressed around the world band together and fight oppressive regimes. Who cares what the regime has on you, when you can coordinate IED attacks, protests, etc. with ease? The man can't fight true chaos.

The US is a much less violent place than much of the developing world, so here you see a lot of subversion done via commerce. Then there's the whole "sharing economy" thing where people just evade regulation and taxes, online dating/hook up apps where people subvert traditional conceptions of dating and relationships, online shopping where much of retail's business model is subverted by price transparency, etc. etc.

Slobjob Zizek fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The easy fix for that would be a combination of uncapping the payroll tax and making immigration to the United States easier.

Is it?

I mean demographics isn't unique to the US, to get away from the OP's topic (which is frankly pretty stupid so I don't feel guilty about derailing), most developing countries have declining fertility rate too (i.e Mexico's is around replacement rate). Where is the US going to get its immigrants from without hurting the economies of said countries?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WMain00 posted:

Oh gently caress off.

That a good answer for you?

No, and I'm sad that it took three days for you people to start crawling out of the woodwork. :allears:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rime posted:

No, and I'm sad that it took three days for you people to start crawling out of the woodwork. :allears:

People with jobs don't have time to keep up up-to-minute with D&D rageposts :smuggo:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

That'd be perfect, kick down that ladder of a protected labor pool just as the last boomers sail into the sunset.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rime posted:

Personally I've read Ayn Rand and find her works to be protentious fluff but sadly her ideals seem to have been taken to heart by modern society. Most software developers I've met are fully aware of the work situation they are in, particularly of the strain, excessive work load and times asked, but sadly they've grown used to it. The alernative is unemployment.

I'd be curious though as to why you think it's okay to lump software developers into the category of "right wing liberterians". I'm fairly left wing myself, but perhaps I'm in the minority.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

WMain00 posted:

I'd be curious though as to why you think it's okay to lump software developers into the category of "right wing liberterians". I'm fairly left wing myself, but perhaps I'm in the minority.

No, I think it's probably the opposite: a vocal minority spouting their right-wing free market tripe. Most of the devs in my peer group are either apolitical or fairly hardcore lefties.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Typo posted:

Is it?

Yes. As it stands, when SS goes "bankrupt", i.e. the trust fund runs out, around 2033, SS will still be taking in around 75% of what it needs through payroll taxes. Lifting the cap to $250k I believe the CBO has estimated would extend it's life for another 12 years. Lifting it entirely and capping payouts to the richest recipients would extend it indefinitely.

Frankly one of the problems with it is everyone is retarded with how government works and the boomers think the SS trust fund has been "stolen" because they don't understand that the money is in treasury bonds because leaving $3 trillion sitting around in a giant account is dumb as hell and keep telling their kids SS is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Huragok posted:

No, I think it's probably the opposite: a vocal minority spouting their right-wing free market tripe. Most of the devs in my peer group are either apolitical or fairly hardcore lefties.

Is my thought as well.

• Locked thread