Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver has a review up for the German Blu-Ray of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

:vince:

This looks amazing. Better than I ever thought we'd see this film look.

My only complaint, and I expect it will differ depending on company (EUREKA! MOC for me) is the saturation seems way to high for the majority of those captures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Egbert Souse posted:

DVD Beaver has a review up for the German Blu-Ray of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Jesus Christ, that looks like it was filmed this year.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Wow, that's gorgeous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheJoker138 posted:

All the early reports are it looks even better than it did in it's original run.

That's what they said about the last release (though I can say for sure that it was very true, even the Dark Sky DVD looked amazing). And for what it's worth, the previous DVD/blu-ray release was transferred from the original 16mm film reels. Basically I'm wondering how much better it could get because that last blu-ray was really good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

This looks amazing. Better than I ever thought we'd see this film look.

My only complaint, and I expect it will differ depending on company (EUREKA! MOC for me) is the saturation seems way to high for the majority of those captures.

They referenced original 35mm prints for tinting and it looks like they actually dialed down saturation a bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

That's what they said about the last release (though I can say for sure that it was very true, even the Dark Sky DVD looked amazing). And for what it's worth, the previous DVD/blu-ray release was transferred from the original 16mm film reels. Basically I'm wondering how much better it could get because that last blu-ray was really good.

People are saying it's even better. I never got around to buying the last blu-ray, though, so waiting for this one is a no brainer for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was in the mood for some Jackie Chan films, but noticed all the blu rays out have very mediocre to poor video quality. Are there any of his (non-American) movies that are actually reasonably okay on blu? Will there ever be any hope of getting them?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Is that screenshot from this restoration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzvBw7Dh5I

Looks amazing.. Any word on when it will be available?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GrandpaPants posted:

I was in the mood for some Jackie Chan films, but noticed all the blu rays out have very mediocre to poor video quality. Are there any of his (non-American) movies that are actually reasonably okay on blu? Will there ever be any hope of getting them?

The Legend of the Drunken Master is great, as long as you don't care about extras of any kind.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh my god, yes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
If you live in New York that Caligari restoration is being shown at the Film Forum the week of Halloween.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Those tears :psyduck:

That repair job on the edges :psyduck:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Those tears :psyduck:

That repair job on the edges :psyduck:

I don't think they are the same source. The restoration is mainly camera negative with original prints used to fill in missing frames and shots.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh god oh man oh god oh man

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo this has a lot of features. And the picture quality looks real nice! And it includes Fire Walk With Me too? Jesus I need to own this!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Is the color hosed or did Cooper always wear a pink shirt?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Something seems a-miss with the color on the Paramount Blu Ray. That m2k blu ray looks much better

M2K:

Paramount:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Just another example of the long string of blu-ray releases where the color timing is completely hosed. Watch out for The Abyss: Cyan Edition later this year.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Something seems a-miss with the color on the Paramount Blu Ray. That m2k blu ray looks much better

M2K:

Paramount:

I thought so at first too, but zooming into each image on the DVD Beaver page made me change my mind.

I wish they had comparison shots of the Japanese blu-ray, as well.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lynch always wanted Twin Peaks to have a real hot feeling to it, the heavy redness is intentional.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The whole show has a very deliberate coral/rose tint to it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The bottom picture is how I remember it looking.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, the top one feels kinda too yellow.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Just pre-ordered that Twin Peaks boxset from Amazon UK for 81 shipped to Canada. I'm going in blind.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Safe Driver posted:

Just pre-ordered that Twin Peaks boxset from Amazon UK for 81 shipped to Canada. I'm going in blind.

Set aside a week and just blaze through the entire series. It will probably catch you after the 2nd or 3rd episode. From there it gets really crazy and really awesome.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Set aside a week and just blaze through the entire series. It will probably catch you after the 2nd or 3rd episode. From there it gets really crazy and really awesome.

Except for a dull period in the 2nd season. The network forced them to rush through to something and for several episodes they're just kind of treading water before finding their footing again. But then they got cancelled.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Is it preferable to watch the movie before or after?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Safe Driver posted:

After. It spoils the mystery and it also has some elements that only make sense after the final episode.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Safe Driver posted:

It's definitely intended to be watched after, even though it (mostly) takes place before. It spoils some of the twists from the show, and also has humor that relies on you having seen the series.

Also do not watch the alternate version of the pilot, at least not until after the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord Krangdar posted:

, and also has humor that relies on you having seen the series.

Oh yeah the entire first section of the film will make no sense if you have not seen the show, and if you have its fucken hilarious.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
In really weird news, it looks like Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin got a Blu-Ray release in Germany. That's one thing I love about the Blu-Ray format. It feels like the successor of VHS in the terms of really obscure releases.

(not uncompressed screens straight from the disc)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Safe Driver posted:

I'm going in blind on this too :hfive:

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Safe Driver posted:

Thanks for this, that's too good of a deal to pass up!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Safe Driver posted:

Is the UK version exactly the same as the US version? That's a really good deal.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Is the UK version exactly the same as the US version? That's a really good deal.

It's the same set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory confirmed on Twitter they're working on UHF.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Awww yea.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

What a supplies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

By the way, where did you hear about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Scream Factory FB posted:

***HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT OF 10 UPCOMING BLU-RAY TITLES!***
We just announced the following upcoming Scream Factory blu-ray releases at our Comic Con panel this evening. Here's the exciting line-up!
1. The Dark Half
2. Monkey Shines
3. Candyman II: Farewell to the Flesh
4. Scarecrows
5. Phantom of the Opera
6. New Year’s Evil
7. Invaders from Mars
8. Dolls (Collector’s Edition)
9. Mad Max (Collector’s Edition)
10. Escape From New York (Collector’s Edition)
We have no details to report on this time other than that Dolls, The Dark Half and Monkey Shines are slated for November 2014 street dates and the rest will land in 2015.
We have more to reveal for 2015 so keep your eyes peeled here for updates throughout the Fall.

I think Scream Factory has really fallen into stride. I own a few of their releases and I have been very happy with all of them, especially with there reasonable price tag . As a 30-something who snuck around to watch these movies as a kid, you might as well call it Nostalgia Factory.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread