Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I got drunk one night (SURPRISE!) and played a match a couple months ago... at least I *think* it was a couple months ago... maybe it was last month. I don't know.

ANYWAYS, I played a match and threw up 5 minutes into it.

I didn't even throw up after drinking, competitively with Backhack, nearly a liter of Rev's Apple Pie on a slosh-op. The way this game has (d)evolved disappoints to the level of violent vomiting is what I'm sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Chomp8645 posted:

You seemed to know enough before...

Oswald if you have sudden onset amnesia you should see a doctor.

And then another poster corrected me like 10 posts ago

What the gently caress is your problem? You forget to take your meds or something? Jesus

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Super Slash posted:

It was a pretty neat game, but discounting the legit criticisms everyone in the thread has made; I stopped playing because I got pretty drat bored of playing the same three maps on the same single gameplay mode (come on, nobody seriously enjoyed capture the points).

I play almost exclusively conquest because the maps tend to be better :(

They really hosed up the capture point mechanics though, since it takes like 5 minutes to cap a loving point and you're better off just joining the action. I've only lost a match once, ever, where we had their whole force wiped except 1 guy and they won by points.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I dig on the art style and the looks really hard, but I just didn't much enjoy playing this. And the P2W stuff is a turn-off.

I think 'MechWarrior' would benefit tremendously from keeping the aesthetic/theme and all the fiction, but moving further away from the tabletop wargame's rules. Like, your robot has legs and poo poo - why does it drive exactly like a tank? Why is there a throttle? Mechwarrior 2M had that Hovercraft level, where you controlled a lovely vehicle with one laser and tried to escape from the Clans. The control scheme was exactly the same. If I'm using a goddamn Leg Robot, I want to be able to use the fuckin' legs. Where's the side-stepping?

And the weapon balance is usually atrocious (PPC Supremacy) and the engagement ranges make no sense because those are lifted from battletech. The biggest autocannon is only effective to like 200 meters. What? In the Battletech Fiction, this is sort of an abstraction - the shell goes a lot further, but it's only effective out that far because the nimble-rear end Mechs will dodge it from any further out.

I had a Centurion variant in the beta that didn't have any guns on its left arm. I don't mean I didn't put any guns there, I mean there were no hardpoints to possibly mount a gun. Why was that arm even there. If there was the possibility of shoving it into someone's cockpit, that would've been great, and Battletech had some melee rules, but that stupid arm is just a useless vestige of a half-implemented system that nobody seriously thought about. The Mechwarrior franchise has always been really half-baked. It was excusable in the 90's, because computers. And sometimes (2Mercs, 3, 4Mercs) it was great in spite of that.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 24, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chomp8645 posted:

[eulogizing]

:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:

I like this. Can we make the thread this? Dropship mode was coming in December, 2012. Shortly after, community warfare.

And who can forget their masterful PR?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

oswald ownenstein posted:

In particular some of the maps - especially the beta maps - are just awful in 12v12. There's that one with water and a boat cracked in half which comes to mind.

I don't know enough about ghost heat to mock it but if you want to add a good quote I'll add it to the OP.

One of the things that I was saying they should do a year ago was separate 8vs8 and 12vs12 modes for the different maps. lol

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, really? I thought solo queue was solo queue and that's it.

It would make sense though I've played plenty of matches against teams that just roflstomped us so hard and were so coordinated that it felt like there had to be some premade groups (if even just 3-4 guys) in the set of 12.

Lack of elaboration on my part. Solo queue does only fight 2-4 mans. It's the 2-10s that will get mixed together into a 12.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Chronojam posted:

I like this. Can we make the thread this? Dropship mode was coming in December, 2012. Shortly after, community warfare.

And who can forget their masterful PR?

I'll happily put that all in the second page as an example of how lovely PGI has been. Call it history - like learning about how bad Stalin was. But you have to collect it all and PM me

StringOfLetters posted:

I dig on the art style and the looks really hard, but I just didn't much enjoy playing this. And the P2W stuff is a turn-off.

I think 'MechWarrior' would benefit tremendously from keeping the aesthetic/theme and all the fiction, but moving further away from the tabletop wargame's rules. Like, your robot has legs and poo poo - why does it drive exactly like a tank? Why is there a throttle? Mechwarrior 2M had that Hovercraft level, where you controlled a lovely vehicle with one laser and tried to escape from the Clans. The control scheme was exactly the same. If I'm using a goddamn Leg Robot, I want to be able to use the fuckin' legs. Where's the side-stepping?

And the weapon balance is usually atrocious (PPC Supremacy) and the engagement ranges make no sense because those are lifted from battletech. The biggest autocannon is only effective to like 200 meters. What? In the Battletech Fiction, this is sort of an abstraction - the shell goes a lot further, but it's only effective out that far because the nimble-rear end Mechs will dodge it from any further out.

I had a Centurion variant in the beta that didn't have any guns on its left arm. I don't mean I didn't put any guns there, I mean there were no hardpoints to possibly mount a gun. Why was that arm even there. If there was the possibility of shoving it into someone's cockpit, that would've been great, and Battletech had some melee rules, but that stupid arm is just a useless vestige of a half-implemented system that nobody seriously thought about. The Mechwarrior franchise has always been really half-baked. It was excusable in the 90's, because computers. And sometimes (2Mercs, 3, 4Mercs) it was great in spite of that.

I think you nailed the big flaw with trying to stick to the TT rules with an online TDM type game. There's just balance issues galore and they're easy to solve if you aren't sticking to TT just because.

Pulser Lasers are considered kinda bad right now due to a heat nerf + their weight (double that of regular lasers, in the case of medium and small).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

Come Aug 7th when the patrons of the Founder’s Program gain access, the game will still be in Closed Beta 2, with on-going patches added every 2 weeks; therefore, not every feature we have discussed on the web site will be playable. We expect to have each of the features we have announced and discussed on the website (with one exception), in the game by the Open Beta date (which cannot yet be announced other than Summer 2012).

The one exception is the Community Warfare pillar which is a complex system but extremely important. In not wanting to delay the game, logic dictates it be added post-launch. Once fans are completely familiar with creating their 'Mech and pilot trees, the depth of Community Warfare will be added, with the core of the community experience projected to be in-game within 90 days of open beta.

quote:

This new frontier of online free-to-play titles really is a shift in thinking and we still have lots of work to do between here and open beta, when we will immediately work to put in the Community Warfare features and from there it will be a sprint to the invasion of the clans and so on.

For our European players, here is the answer you have been looking for: Yes, you can buy the Founder’s Package and you will never be blocked from continuing to play on the North American servers. Also, when servers are setup in your region, you will be given a onetime opportunity to transfer to those region’s servers taking everything you own with you.

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'll happily put that all in the second page as an example of how lovely PGI has been. Call it history - like learning about how bad Stalin was. But you have to collect it all and PM me

You have it all quoted right there, what do you need a PM for? Do you know how to use the forum? Just paste it.

Chronojam posted:

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

They had a whole big interview on community warfare features in 2011 (lol).

Funny guys these mechwarriors!

EDIT: Bonus questoin for Paul Inouye, master game designer...

quote:

ZAM: For our final question, what about players who just want to see the world burn? By that, I mean that, given MechWarrior Online's big focus on team play and communication, are there any systems in place to prevent some players from simply disrupting games or taking bribes from the other team to "throw" a match?

Paul: Well there are two systems in place to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen. The first system addresses the second part of your question (yeah, I like to switch it up like that). We have taken all steps necessary to prevent "gold farming" in MechWarrior Online. This includes the fact that players will not be able to share currency with each other, so being paid off isn't going to happen.

Gold farming prevented! Oh wait you can just chain join games and AFK every single one of them and because you get C-Bills even if you lose and do literally nothing the entire match. Fine job there Paul!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Should I get back into this or is my 3 x SRM6 centurian and 8 large laser stalker boat now useless garbage for idiots?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Drone_Fragger posted:

Should I get back into this or is my 3 x SRM6 centurian and 8 large laser stalker boat now useless garbage for idiots?

SRMs are less crap than they have been, but gently caress you if you fire more than two large lasers at a time, eat your ghost heat and like it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drone_Fragger posted:

This is a question that has longed plagued the community...

I think people are having trouble with it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

May 8, 2013: UI 2.0 will have a public test in August, live in Summer

Oct 28, 2013: UI 2.0 has its public test, huge letdown, everybody and their brother had a litany of must-fix feedback

Feb 4, 2014: UI 2.0 goes "live" but is missing all the mech bay overviews and changes everybody wanted, not even a "strip mech" option they boasted over

Feb 5, 2014: UI 2.0 critical hotfix to solve "Game won't start," "Game can't log in," "Can't use paid-for premium account or paid-for consumables"
:laugh:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It is still impressive to me to see how obvious the problems are and how easy they would be to solve. What they did to make it poo poo over the course of a few years could have easily been averted, or even fixed now. The problem is the people in charge are complete fuckheads. Back out ghost heat, experiment with quicker balance changes, go back to 8v8, make jump jets shake the cockpit sufficiently again. It would be so simple to fix but they will never do it.

It must be really depressing to be any of the people involved with implementing the changes passed down to them. There's no way they think anything they're being forced to do is a good idea. Imagine having to work for and take orders from that fat gently caress.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I yearn for that brief period of time that lasted about two months, I think it was January or February of 2013 where MWO was a fun game to play and I was telling myself that if only PGI could "tighten it up" a bit and go on to add content and community warfare, it'd be one of the best F2P games ever.

:sigh:

A big thing though is that while we all take the piss on PGI for being retards who don't understand the mechanics of their own game or how to balance it, far worse was/is their deeply held prejudice against any kind of competitive play. MWO certainly wasn't ever going to become DOTA or LoL, but maybe it could have gotten to a level like CS:GO. The depth and teamplay elements to make it an exciting game to play and watch competitively were almost there. The community actually tried to run competitive leagues and PGI made no attempt to even make lobbies for two groups to play together. Instead we had to try to do "sync drops." To this day there's no way for organized groups to set up matches with each other. PGI doesn't care, they've tailored their game toward solo players who they think will have the incentive to buy hundreds of dollars of mechs. Made by pubbies, for pubbies. Making a true competitive game would have been more profitable in the long run.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
http://www.mwomercs.com/theplan

Lots of laughs here! This is the developers official tracking of their progress.

Community warfare is 71% done? How can that be...

lol. Ok how about them maps PGI?

I'm dying.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If there's one thing developers love to do and are very accurate at, it's giving percentage based estimates of how much progress has been made on a task.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oswald can we get a percentage estimate of your progress in posting Chronjam's material like you said? I suggest the following metric...

0% - nothing done (default)

50% - copy button pressed (end of August?)

100% - paste button pressed (Q1 2015?)

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Lemming posted:

It is still impressive to me to see how obvious the problems are and how easy they would be to solve. What they did to make it poo poo over the course of a few years could have easily been averted, or even fixed now. The problem is the people in charge are complete fuckheads. Back out ghost heat, experiment with quicker balance changes, go back to 8v8, make jump jets shake the cockpit sufficiently again. It would be so simple to fix but they will never do it.

It must be really depressing to be any of the people involved with implementing the changes passed down to them. There's no way they think anything they're being forced to do is a good idea. Imagine having to work for and take orders from that fat gently caress.

The thing about 8v8 is that a lot of balance problems people keep bitching about (like LRM spamming) is a lot less problematic when it's 8v8 instead of 12v12

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
There have been a couple of occasions where members of the Flaming Drongos have been known to assemble and roll out ( generally when it involved a free robbit or garage slot ), play a few rounds then fail cascade because gently caress this game seriously.
My biggest gripes are with 12 a side and ghost heat. I don't hugely care for the canon ( Ennnnnh, *adjusts glasses* an Inner Sphere Company consist of 3 Lances of 4 'Mechs, ennnnnh *inhales from Asthma inhaler* ), but the decision to up from 8 a side to 12 a side was pretty stupid considering the already cramped nature of the beta maps up until Alpine ( which while really roomy is still just a blobby clusterfuck ). Don't even get me started on Ghost Heat.

Also, the inner sperg at me wants to point out the various factual errors in the OP, especially since outdated info in the OPs of the previous threads caused drama.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Can anyone explain why ghost heat is such a problem?

I only encountered it when trying to do more than 6 medium lasers on my light mech, and even then I just put them in different weapon groups and chain fired NP.

It sounds like a bunch of people angry that they can't alpha on one mouse button with 8 million things on their assault mech and I can't shed any tears over that. Different weapon groups, mouse 1, mouse 2, done.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I don't know how this works, but damnit if I'm not convinced you're wrong!

:pgi:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A final CotD for this dumb failure of a game...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I only encountered it when trying to do more than 6 medium lasers on my light mech, and even then I just put them in different weapon groups and chain fired NP.

It sounds like a bunch of people angry that they can't alpha on one mouse button with 8 million things on their assault mech and I can't shed any tears over that. Different weapon groups, mouse 1, mouse 2, done.

Key things you need to understand:

It works differently when you introduce different but similar weapons
Some weapons get better when chainfired, some weapons get worse
It's not actually explained or documented anywhere except in disparate forum posts
Ghost heat made sniping more effective by killing its hard counters (e.g. sniping's safer to do)
Ghost heat made sniping more effective by killing its alternatives (e.g. reduced build diversity)

A tongue in cheek explanation of the results:

quote:

To recap:
40 LRMs: 21 Heat
50 LRMs: 16 Heat
60 LRMs: 32 Heat

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So how is M.A.V. ? I picked it up on steam for cheap a while ago but didn't really play it yet. Was it a good choice for building stupid robbits and killing other stupid robbits or should I stick to Hawken for my Mech fix?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm guessing a whole class of mechs is still worthless and they'res still both medium and heavy mechs that are bigger then assaults right?

Game sucks.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Saalkin posted:

I'm guessing a whole class of mechs is still worthless and they'res still both medium and heavy mechs that are bigger then assaults right?

Game sucks.

You can do pretty well with Mediums it's just you won't consistently do as well as someone playing an Assault.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Chomp, how much money did you give PGI when they were doing Founders? I have a suspicion it may be revelatory.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
hey Oswald, Paul Inoyue made some super descriptive charts concerning the heat penalties... maybe someone has the fucks to fish them out of the brown sea for the OP?

I never activated my 60 days Founders premium, I probably never will. I last played for a few weeks at the beginning of the year: I enjoyed the Shadow Hawk, but UI 2.0 was more obtuse than 1.0, and all other the poo poo aside that is a really amazing bit of incompetence.

Heavy gear is a TT game too right? Looks promising but

quote:

The Heavy Gear Assault development team plans to release HGA in the form of modules. Heavy Gear Assault will release in a series of modules, culminating with the launch of the Heavy Gear persistent universe with episodic single player warfare.

sounds way to familiar.

I want to believe.

EDIT: I am glad this thread is back, I enjoy watching ya'll poo poo post about :pgi:

DiHK fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 25, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Orv posted:

Chomp, how much money did you give PGI when they were doing Founders? I have a suspicion it may be revelatory.

$0 during Founders, and $0 at any other time as well. I never paid any money for MWO in any way. Thank goodness!

I have in my entire life spent a grand total of $25 on F2P games, and that's split between three different titles. They usually just aren't worth it.

EDIT: Realized I could prove it...

No transaction history.

Joined after closed beta/early whatever concluded. No founder title or anything.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The issue is that rather than tuning weapon damage, weapon heat, weapon tonnage, weapon slots, projectile speeds, beam duration, cycle times, how many heat sinks you get by default, how much heat each sink disspiates, how many slots each sink takes up, how heavy a sink is or any of the many, many options that they had at their disposal, PGI opted to bolt yet another mechanism on top. Rather than encourage diverse builds, they opted for a system that slaps your hand when you do something the design team don't like, and for a good couple of months after it was introduced we still had no explanation as to what it was supposed to accomplish. As it stands you still need to go to an third party site (Smurfy's mechlab) to see exactly what penalties you're attracting with particular loadouts. There wasn't even an in game indicator until after UI 2.0 dropped, and even that is just a red triangle that tells you you built your mech wrong.

It's lazy, it's ham fisted, and it didn't even do what they were trying to do with it - PPC and Gauss rifles still ruled the roost after it came in until they nerfed PPCs and stuck the charge up time on the gauss.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I got lucky and quit the game during December of 2012 which apparently was a month before the game went to poo poo. So I have good memories of mech warrior I guess.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

DiHK posted:

hey Oswald, Paul Inoyue made some super descriptive charts concerning the heat penalties... maybe someone has the fucks to fish them out of the brown sea for the OP?

I never activated my 60 days Founders premium, I probably never will. I last played for a few weeks at the beginning of the year: I enjoyed the Shadow Hawk, but UI 2.0 was more obtuse than 1.0, and all other the poo poo aside that is a really amazing bit of incompetence.

Heavy gear is a TT game too right? Looks promising but

sounds way to familiar.

I want to believe.

EDIT: I am glad this thread is back, I enjoy watching ya'll poo poo post about :pgi:

TLDR: Alpha striking 3 AC2s with 0.52s between shots will fire 36 shots in 5.72s with 0 penalty and 36 total heat. Firing them one after the other with 0.1s between shots will fire 12 shots in 1.76 seconds with 59 heat penalty and 71 total heat.

In other words, for the benefit of firing 8% more shots per second, you get an amazing 500% heat increase in the first 2 seconds of firing which continues to increase exponentially.

I'll also point out that the 2 bottom graphs don't even have the right math even though it's a spreadsheet because they seem to be terrible at everything.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 25, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

koolkal posted:

I'll also point out that the 2 bottom graphs don't even have the right math even though it's a spreadsheet because they seem to be terrible at everything.

Sums it all up, really.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
God drat, that may be the worst quick fix "mechanic" I've seen in any game ever. Not even exaggerating.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Stupid people don't mind it.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
I do indeed play this poo poo game more than I'd like to admit and if anyone else ever wants to play feel free to send Blackdog420 an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Don't play this game. PGI and Paul are directly responsible for taking away my ability to get excited about video games. They stole my innocence.

• Locked thread