Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was in my local GW yesterday and they have 5 Stormclaw sets on the shelf. Worth grabbing and parting out a few? $150 CDN :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

I was in my local GW yesterday and they have 5 Stormclaw sets on the shelf. Worth grabbing and parting out a few? $150 CDN :/

It's a fantastic deal and unless you really muck it up you can make good money parting it out, especially with the mini-rulebooks.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Truth, I was planning on going chaos marines, but I saw a great deal for

26 tactical marines
5 terms
5 scouts
5 assault marines
5 devastators
3 bikes
Command squad
Captain in term armor
10 guardsmen
Rule book
Codex
Macragge scenery

For $140 so I picked up a cheap Shrike and am planning on going Raven Guard now.

If you're interested in another 16 Tactical Marines (including Plasma Guns and Plasma Cannons), 10 Assault Marines, a Predator, and a Techmarine, I have it on eBay right now for $50 plus shipping. Feel free to bid on it (zero bids at the moment) or just send me a PM if you're interested but don't want to go through eBay.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

TKIY posted:

On eBay, I've seen people flipping the whole box for $175 US and up.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

TKIY posted:

The local ads I've seen selling pieces of the kit have wanted some pretty high prices. Not sure if they're moving, but at least they're setting the bar high with things like: just the warboss for $30, space wolf half for $100, or the mini book for $40.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Playing on the Frontline mat is awesome since the pad is covered in that cotton/canvas material, which not only rolls smooth and soft but also mutes the clatter of the dice to a soft pitter patter.

I've used one of my Frontline mats once so far, but someone being able to dump a dozen dice at once onto the surface, hardly make a sound and not lose a dice to the floor was pretty nice.

Plastic, vinyl, resin or custom wood/foam sheets or modular tiles are always going to have a place, but these mousepad mats are the thing of the future for portable gaming surfaces, they really are.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 24, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This page needs some pictures.

Here's my Riptide conversion I've been working on for a while, I think he's nearly ready for basing and painting.

Pretty happy with how his shoulder cannon turned out.

What do you guys think of the fingers?

Too simple?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

It's a fantastic deal and unless you really muck it up you can make good money parting it out, especially with the mini-rulebooks.

Once the new DV hits those rulebooks won't be as valuable, that's my only concern.

My 8 year old daughter was in the store with me though and kept asking me about Orks. She seems to like Killa Kans alot...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Started painting another Gargoyle. I think it's sick. :(

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Holy poo poo the Knight model is gorgeous, but I've never painted something so large and detailed. This is going to take weeks!

For names - Woes of the Treacherous or Bane of the Treacherous?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moola posted:

Here's my Riptide conversion I've been working on for a while, I think he's nearly ready for basing and painting.

Too simple?

1. I think the head looks bad. It's both too small, and it's got that rising front collar that just obscures it more than helps. I'd either ditch the head entirely, or do something about the collar. Maybe a domed head ala Armored Trooper VOTOMS.

2. The left-sided chest piece is crooked. Fix that poo poo, bro.

3. The fingers are alright in concept, but I gotta ask: are you using white foam? Because if so that's a horrible idea, and should be replaced with plasticard or similarly-sized bits.

4. I feel like the big stonkin' gun could do with an extended barrel or something, it's kinda stumpy. However, it does give the impression that he just fired it and is rearing back a little from the kick it gave off (lol plasma having a kick), so it's not too bad I guess.

Otherwise I think the idea is fuckin' baller.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I have one of each. The frontline is made out of a durable heavy 1990's mouspad type of material versus the thin 'halloween mask' type rubber Zuzzy uses. The corners of the Zuzzy curl and crinkle badly and make standing on the board edge impossible. I saw some beautiful 2/3rd edition necrons fall off the table because of those drat creases.

Playing on the Frontline mat is awesome since the pad is covered in that cotton/canvas material, which not only rolls smooth and soft but also mutes the clatter of the dice to a soft pitter patter. The Zuzzy matt will send your dice bouncing all over the board and on onto the floor since it is made out of Flubber. Also, the rubber needed to sit out for a few days to vent its smell and does not feel like it will last. I never even got around to painting it since it's a big deal to attempt.

So for a specific display I would say go Zuzzy if you want to have something similar to one of those Model Train museums where it stays set up forever and no one touches it. For ease of use, transportation and actual gameplay I say go Frontline. And I was kinda burned with Frontline's other products in the past* but I still recommend these mats.

Yeah my mates have a Zuzzy board as well. I hear you about the occasional creases, but I never felt that the dice bounced around that badly. Maybe I am a weak dice thrower?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

1. I think the head looks bad. It's both too small, and it's got that rising front collar that just obscures it more than helps. I'd either ditch the head entirely, or do something about the collar. Maybe a domed head ala Armored Trooper VOTOMS.

2. The left-sided chest piece is crooked. Fix that poo poo, bro.

3. The fingers are alright in concept, but I gotta ask: are you using white foam? Because if so that's a horrible idea, and should be replaced with plasticard or similarly-sized bits.

4. I feel like the big stonkin' gun could do with an extended barrel or something, it's kinda stumpy. However, it does give the impression that he just fired it and is rearing back a little from the kick it gave off (lol plasma having a kick), so it's not too bad I guess.

Otherwise I think the idea is fuckin' baller.

Cheers!

The chest piece is actually on correctly, I agree it looks wonky but that's how the kit fits together. I might rip it off and make it symmetrical now you pointed it out though!

Yeah the fingers are just foam as a test, gonna replace those with green stuff, maybe with more articulation if I can manage it!

I'm gonna stick with the small head because I like how much bigger it makes his chest and body look, but agreed on the neck plate, gonna try that off.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Too simple?

I like how you chose a unique way to mount the ion cannon thingy but it feels off balance. Maybe add in an arm piece or the other shoulder to give it more breadth. I never liked mounting such a bigass weapon on a dinky arm, so I like your premise.

Fingers look good from the front but not the back. Would look better with the second "thumb" removed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Twisted posted:

Holy poo poo the Knight model is gorgeous, but I've never painted something so large and detailed. This is going to take weeks!

Bane of the Treacherous sounds cool, Woes of the Treacherous sounds like an Imperial screamo band.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SRM posted:

Bane of the Treacherous sounds cool, Woes of the Treacherous sounds like an Imperial screamo band.

Done! Will try to do some free handing on this bad boy once it's done.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Workin on a silly dred mob style list... anyone know if stompas can still transport dreds or kans? I remember they used to, but cannot find any reference to it now.

Also, I assume FW haven't said yet if/when the dred mob army list will be updated? Still appears to work as is.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

"Traitor's Bane" is already a sword. A Knight is considerably more powerful than one sword ... Traitor Desolator. :v:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Traitor's_Bane#.U9FXZvmP1x0

Monoliths posted:

Workin on a silly dred mob style list... anyone know if stompas can still transport dreds or kans? I remember they used to, but cannot find any reference to it now.

Also, I assume FW haven't said yet if/when the dred mob army list will be updated? Still appears to work as is.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Ork_Super_Heavy_Vehicles.html

I don't see the regular Stompa at all, just the Mek Stompa. If the FW rules say you can, then you can. My brother has the latest FW book, I'll check.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Fingers look good from the front but not the back. Would look better with the second "thumb" removed.

Where's the first thumb? :confused:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Not that robots directly translate to human anatomy, but those are thumbs. And Tau only have four fingers! :argh:

Also, post some more photos of the right side of the mini where the gun is, I'm curious how you mounted the engine without the shoulder piece.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

In 7th edition did they remove the rule where only half your army is allowed to start in reserves? I can't find it in the new rulebook.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Not that robots directly translate to human anatomy, but those are thumbs. And Tau only have four fingers! :argh:

Also, post some more photos of the right side of the mini where the gun is, I'm curious how you mounted the engine without the shoulder piece.

What you chattin about m8!? He's got three fingers and thumb like a real boy Tau!

Are you saying he should only have fingers and no thumb? What you chattin?!

Okedoke, I'll snap a pic from above and the other side for you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

On the grassy knoll.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The thumb is pointing back, and to the left

haakman
May 5, 2011
What are the odds of more copies of Stormclaw being made available? Sold out on the webstore and I fear it might be gone in my local store...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

haakman posted:

What are the odds of more copies of Stormclaw being made available? Sold out on the webstore and I fear it might be gone in my local store...

I can get goons one for retail if they pay shipping. Might not be worth it, but I can offer the service anyhow.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Have some lovely camera phone pics:

The arm is connected to the red dot, and the jetpack is connected to the green dot.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I like the torso gun, it reminds me of BattleTech.

EDIT: The Hunchback, specifically, with its tiny head and its huge pectoral gun:

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 24, 2014

haakman
May 5, 2011

TKIY posted:

I can get goons one for retail if they pay shipping. Might not be worth it, but I can offer the service anyhow.

Awesome. Where are you based?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ANAmal.net posted:

I like the torso gun, it reminds me of BattleTech.

EDIT: The Hunchback, specifically, with its tiny head and its huge pectoral gun:

Cheers, that's actually what I was going for!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

haakman posted:

The prairies of Canada if I recall correctly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

DO IT TO IT posted:

In 7th edition did they remove the rule where only half your army is allowed to start in reserves? I can't find it in the new rulebook.

It's been removed. You can have the entire army in reserve if you want, though keep in mind that if you have nothing on the field at the end of a game turn (not player turn, game turn) then you automatically lose.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

haakman posted:

They've said it was a true 'limited quantity' thing but that they wanted to do similar boxes every six months or so.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm in Michigan so shipping wouldn't be too bad if you're in Canada. One of my favorite shops was supposed to get a few sets recently, I'll check ... soonish. I'm a trusting person and Paypal is the devil so you can send a check if I find a set for ya.

Note to everyone: when you ship international mark the package as a GIFT. One of my clients got burned by a substantial fee when I sent his minis to him a couple years back. Lesson: learned, difference: made. :911:

Moola posted:

Have some lovely camera phone pics:

The arm is connected to the red dot, and the jetpack is connected to the green dot.

The gun is the shoulder. :fry:

I get it now, I thought I was looking at the front and back of the same fist, since they're so similar. I thought you had put a thumb on both sides of the robit fist.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

haakman posted:

Canada so shipping is a bit awful.

edit: Which army are you interested in? I might consider splitting two if I can find someone to split with.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

DO IT TO IT posted:

It's no longer in the rules. It makes all drop pod armies possible and it's also really annoying to play against that.

Okay you go first.

Yay!

Okay I go first " OBJECTIVE SECURED ALL OBJECTIVES", please enjoy removing all of these Drop Pods w/ Objective secured literally on top of the objective markers now.

YAY!

Sooooooooo annoying.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 25, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There should be some kind of rule where you can't hold an objective that you've crushed with a metal loving pod you dropped out of orbit.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I've stumbled into owning two sets of the DV Dark Angels. How stupid of an idea is this to work towards? I'd only be picking up Sammael, the command squad and the Gunship.

quote:

2000 Pts - Codex: Dark Angels Roster

HQ: Sammael on Corvex (1#, 200 pts)
. . 1 Sammael on Corvex, 200 pts ((C:DA, pp. 58 & 93); JetBikes (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Adamantine Mantle; Corvex; Night Halo; Power Armour; Teleport Homer; Bolt Pistol; Raven Sword; Plasma Cannon; Twin-Linked Storm Bolters; Eternal Warrior; Fearless; Hit & Run; Independent Character; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Scouts; Skilled Rider; Warlord; Rapid Manoeuvre)

HQ: Ezekiel (1#, 145 pts)
. . 1 Ezekiel, 145 pts ((C:DA, pp. 54 & 92); Infantry (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Artificer Armour; Book of Salvation; Psychic Hood; Master-crafted Bolt Pistol; Traitor's Bane; Fearless; Independent Character; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Psyker (Mastery Level 3); Mind Worm)

: Command Squad (5#, 200 pts)
. . 4 Command Squad, 200 pts ((C:DA, pp. 33 & 95); Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Melta Bombs x4; Chainsword x4; Boltgun x4; And They Shall Know No Fear; Grim Resolve; Stubborn)
. . . . 1 Apothecary ((C:DA, pp. 33 & 95); Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Narthecium; Power Armour; Chainsword; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Grim Resolve; Stubborn)
. . . . 1 Standard of Devastation

Troops: Tactical Squad (10#, 195 pts)
. . 9 Tactical Squad, 195 pts ((C:DA, pp. 37 & 95); Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Boltgun x7; Plasma gun; Plasma Cannon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Grim Resolve; Stubborn)
. . . . 1 Sergeant ((C:DA, pp. 35 & 103); Infantry (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Melta Bombs; Bolt Pistol; Combi-Meltagun; Grim Resolve; Stubborn; Upgrade to Veteran Sergeant)

Troops: Tactical Squad (10#, 195 pts)
. . 9 Tactical Squad, 195 pts ((C:DA, pp. 37 & 95); Infantry; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Bolt Pistol x9; Boltgun x7; Plasma gun; Plasma Cannon; And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Grim Resolve; Stubborn)
. . . . 1 Sergeant ((C:DA, pp. 35 & 103); Infantry (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Melta Bombs; Bolt Pistol; Combi-Meltagun; Grim Resolve; Stubborn; Upgrade to Veteran Sergeant)

Troops: Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3#, 125 pts)
. . 1 Ravenwing Attack Squadron, 125 pts ((C:DA, pp. 47 & 101); And They Shall Know No Fear; Grim Resolve; Hit & Run; Ravenwing Combat Squads; Scouts; Stubborn)
. . . . 2 Ravenwing Biker (Bikes; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Space Marine Bike; Teleport Homer; Bolt Pistol x2; Meltagun x2; Twin-Linked Boltgun x2)
. . . . . . 1 Ravenwing Sergeant (Bikes (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Space Marine Bike; Teleport Homer; Melta Bombs; Twin-Linked Boltgun x1; Combi-Meltagun; Upgrade to Veteran Sergeant)

Troops: Ravenwing Attack Squadron (3#, 125 pts)
. . 1 Ravenwing Attack Squadron, 125 pts ((C:DA, pp. 47 & 101); And They Shall Know No Fear; Grim Resolve; Hit & Run; Ravenwing Combat Squads; Scouts; Stubborn)
. . . . 2 Ravenwing Biker (Bikes; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Space Marine Bike; Teleport Homer; Bolt Pistol x2; Meltagun x2; Twin-Linked Boltgun x2)
. . . . . . 1 Ravenwing Sergeant (Bikes (Character); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Power Armour; Space Marine Bike; Teleport Homer; Melta Bombs; Twin-Linked Boltgun x1; Combi-Meltagun; Upgrade to Veteran Sergeant)

Elite: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 245 pts)
. . 4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 245 pts ((C:DA, pp. 44 & 99); Infantry; Terminator Armour; Power Fist x3; Storm Bolter x3; Chainfist x1; Assault Cannon x1; Bulky; Deathwing Assault; Fearless; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Split Fire; Vengeful Strike)
. . . . 1 Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Infantry (Character); Terminator Armour; Power Sword; Storm Bolter; Bulky; Deathwing Assault; Fearless; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Split Fire; Vengeful Strike)

Elite: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 245 pts)
. . 4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 245 pts ((C:DA, pp. 44 & 99); Infantry; Terminator Armour; Power Fist x3; Storm Bolter x3; Chainfist x1; Assault Cannon x1; Bulky; Deathwing Assault; Fearless; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Split Fire; Vengeful Strike)
. . . . 1 Deathwing Terminator Sergeant (Infantry (Character); Terminator Armour; Power Sword; Storm Bolter; Bulky; Deathwing Assault; Fearless; Inner Circle; Preferred Enemy (CSM); Split Fire; Vengeful Strike)

Heavy Support: Fire Raptor Gunship (IA) (1#, 220 pts)
. . 1 Fire Raptor Gunship (IA), 220 pts ((FW Website); Vehicle (Flyer w/ Hover mode); Extra Armour; Hellstrike Missiles (x4); Twin-linked Avenger Bolt Cannon; Ind. Turret-mount TL Autocannons; Deep Strike; Independent Turret Fire; Power of the Machine Spirit; Reic of the Armoury; Strafing Run)

: Aegis Defence Line (1#, 100 pts)
. . 1 Aegis Defence Line, 100 pts ((Stronghold Assault, pg. 20); Battlefield Debris (Defence Lines); Gun Emplacement with Quad-Gun)

Total Roster Cost: 1995

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

It's no longer in the rules. It makes all drop pod armies possible and it's also really annoying to play against that.

Okay you go first.

Yay!

Okay I go first " OBJECTIVE SECURED ALL OBJECTIVES", please enjoy removing all of these Drop Pods w/ Objective secured literally on top of the objective markers now.

YAY!

Sooooooooo annoying.

If you don't set up objectives near your own table edge and/or don't deploy at least some troop models near an objective against a drop pod army of at least twelve drop pods I don't know what to tell you. If a player splits their forces six ways they're going to have a tough time fighting against a more cohesively deployed army, even if they make all the scatter rolls. I would welcome an opponent literally only fielding half their army first turn whose deployment they can only vaguely control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Drop Pod Alpha Strike lists are really incredibly annoying to play against. It's not that it's difficult to beat ( it is depending on what type their playing), it's just really goddamn annoying.

• Locked thread