Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The beetle has a weird symbol on its back...

It's the Higashikata Fruits Company logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The TV show Supernatural is actually an adaptation of JoJo.

Think about it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I have never watched Supernatural. How many poses per episode do the characters strike?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What little I've seen is 90% two attractive dudes making pouty faces, and 10% ridiculous bullshit

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

quakster posted:

Think about it.

This is the kind of post that should get you banned

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

quakster posted:

Think about it.

makes u think

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Speaking of Part 5, the guys that made the great MAD videos of part 1/2, 3, 4 made one for part 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJxcVRcb9w

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I have never watched Supernatural. How many poses per episode do the characters strike?

For the first season or two the show is about cramming as many classic rock wordplays/puns in as possible while two guys kill demons with shotguns, then they realized that 90% of their audience is bored housewives and the show got steadily shittier for the next half-decade. (And it wasn't great to begin with, it just had a certain grungry charm.)

Other than the puns and maybe the whole "family entangled with monsters" thing it's nothing like Jojo at all.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For the first season or two the show is about cramming as many classic rock wordplays/puns in as possible while two guys kill demons with shotguns, then they realized that 90% of their audience is bored housewives and the show got steadily shittier for the next half-decade.
I thought it was 90% teenage girls.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I thought it was 90% teenage girls.

The show airs at 11 AM. And before you go "but Tuxedo Catfish, who actually watches shows on television rather than streaming or downloading them" let me point out that it's not how people actually watch that matters, it's how network execs measure them watching.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The show airs at 11 AM. And before you go "but Tuxedo Catfish, who actually watches shows on television rather than streaming or downloading them" let me point out that it's not how people actually watch that matters, it's how network execs measure them watching.

Also DVD and Bluray sales for the whole seasons.

All I know about Supernatural is that it's about two dudes who are brothers and they fight evil, and then a whole bunch of women write slash fiction about the actors loving.

So, not nearly as gay as Jojo.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Butt Ghost posted:

e: at this point, I'm also a little lost as to why Bruno isn't a Jojo instead. Giorno's just kinda there, and sometimes he feels like a Mary Sue.

Because Bruno is basically a zeppeli under another name, beyond being the cooler/better mentor character that implies he also needs to be a cooler/better mentor character because part 5 takes elements from yakuza dramas and bruno is giorno's "in" into the gang. You may as well be asking why is josuke a jojo when koichi is the one with the actual character arc, rohan is the one person who has any sort of personal stake in taking down kira and jotaro is the one who beats up kira both times.

Giorno isn't really "kinda there", seeing as how the only reason they even fight diavolo is because giorno convinced bruno (and by proxy the rest of the gang) that his plan of taking over the mafia isn't completely retarded. I'm also not sure how someone that's not in a fanfic can be a mary sue (that's what that is right?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

darealkooky posted:

I'm also not sure how someone that's not in a fanfic can be a mary sue (that's what that is right?)

Mary Sue can be used to describe any character, fanfiction or not, that is too perfect and succeeds at everything. I agree with the rest of your post though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Mary Sue can be used to describe any character, fanfiction or not, that is too perfect and succeeds at everything. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Ah, then I can't agree with that either. Giorno is hardly perfect (even with the bad english translation dude has a lot of quirks) and he only succeeds at everything the same way most jojo's do.

A something about Giorno compared to every other jojo is that he almost never wins a fight without help, even against Bruno he would've been hosed if Bruno didn't hold back at the last second because a nearby child was taking drugs and it threw him off.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Giorno didn't seem all that consistent when I read it through. His dream was to become a Gangstar, but he immediately finds out that the gang is pretty poo poo. He never really mentions wanting to be a great gangster ever again (which I guess could be translation, but I don't see how it'd make sense anyway) and at the end, he's just kind of the leader because he won against Diavolo. It just didn't sit right with me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

Giorno didn't seem all that consistent when I read it through. His dream was to become a Gangstar, but he immediately finds out that the gang is pretty poo poo. He never really mentions wanting to be a great gangster ever again (which I guess could be translation, but I don't see how it'd make sense anyway) and at the end, he's just kind of the leader because he won against Diavolo. It just didn't sit right with me.

It was supposed to be a secret that he wanted to betray the boss, that's why he only told Bruno at the beginning. By the time that it was appropriate to reveal to the other members of the party, they were doing it to protect Trish.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

It's specifically that he wants to re-form the mafia. That's why he doesn't just tell bruno "yo bro let me in or I'll kill your rear end" it's "introduce me to the boss, so I can take over". Bruno and most of the people that work under him have the same fantasy giorno does, of a mafia that helps the little man (for lots of protection money) where the police won't or can't because they suck. THAT's what giorno is talking about by being a gangster-star (it's been a little while since I've read the bad translation, but the little monologue that builds up to that panel spells this all out).

Giorno does mention this stuff every now and then when he breaks out his MLK impression and talks about his dream, but because he doesn't know if he can trust anyone but bruno with his plans of taking over the gang (and even bruno is all like "dude you cray, if this gets out I'm not helping you" at first) he can't really mouth off about it all the time.

It fades into the background a bit when they get sent on the mission to protect trish (and giorno hangs out being fab while everyone else does the work for him like his dad would do), but that's just so that when they all realize how pointless the whole mission was they can finally get fed up enough to see that the boss is an rear end in a top hat and needs to get replaced.

Giorno is basically the leader just because he beat diavolo, sure, but it's also because pretty much everyone important in the gang is dead and the only survivors are people who wouldn't want the job anyway. There's also a running thing of Giorno slowly being more of a leader as the story goes on, capped off by him being able to lead trish and mista into actually holding off king goddamn crimson long enough for him to get the arrow and punch him really, really hard.

I didn't really plan for this to go on this long, whoops.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Giorno really wants to return the mafia to the semi-mythic organization that serves as a shadow-government for those who are unable to exercise power in the existing structures instead of an organization that preys upon them with those existing structures. Dude watched The Godfather a few too many times, perhaps.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

darealkooky posted:

Ah, then I can't agree with that either. Giorno is hardly perfect (even with the bad english translation dude has a lot of quirks) and he only succeeds at everything the same way most jojo's do.

A something about Giorno compared to every other jojo is that he almost never wins a fight without help, even against Bruno he would've been hosed if Bruno didn't hold back at the last second because a nearby child was taking drugs and it threw him off.
Eh, it seems to me like just about every fight Giorno's been involved with, sans when he's the main fighter (which I think has only been twice thus far,) couldn't have been won without him swapping objects to life and turning the tide of battle. Then whoever he's assisting goes "This man is perfect."

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I want to pay some scanslation group to finish the non-terrible English Vento Aureo scans.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Eh, it seems to me like just about every fight Giorno's been involved with, sans when he's the main fighter (which I think has only been twice thus far,) couldn't have been won without him swapping objects to life and turning the tide of battle. Then whoever he's assisting goes "This man is perfect."

Doesn't being in a support role alone completely validate being a perfect mary sue? Most of the fights couldn't be won without Giorno doing stuff the same they couldn't be won without bruno or whoever doing other stuff, that's just how jojo fight scenes work. It's not even like Giorno plans the poo poo out of everything and tells everyone what to do, the two first fights after he joins the gang involve him being completely incapacitated/using a phone for the majority of them.

As for the praise, I don't remember a whole lot of GEE GIORNO YOU'RE THE BEST, a lot of it was more like "hey you're actually pretty competent and worth respect despite being 15 goddamn years old and having doughnut hair" from what I recall.

Soulcleaver posted:

I want to pay some scanslation group to finish the non-terrible English Vento Aureo scans.
Pretty sure the whole endeavor is cursed. When we get to people subbing the part 5 anime in 2-3 years look forward to lots of sub groups/crunchroll staff dying of heart attacks.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

Pretty sure the whole endeavor is cursed. When we get to people subbing the part 5 anime in 2-3 years look forward to lots of sub groups/crunchroll staff dying of heart attacks.

Part 5 will have the worst animation and the only subs available will be those in yellow color

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

darealkooky posted:

"hey you're actually pretty competent and worth respect despite being 15 goddamn years old and having doughnut hair"
Giorno is Dio's only competent son. Ungaro and Donatello Versus get these amazing overpowered stands and do jack poo poo with them. Rykiel is weaker but he wastes his potential, too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Has joseph said "OH MY GOD" yet or is that not until the sun.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

He said it last episode I think.

Is Giorno also considered Jonathan's son, since it was Jonathan's dick DIO was using?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Yeah, there's a OH MY GOD in response to Kakyoin and Polnareff cutting up a blood vessel in his brain to move through it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Butt Ghost posted:

Is Giorno also considered Jonathan's son, since it was Jonathan's dick DIO was using?

He's considered as dio's son. I remember Stone Ocean mentioning "But what about Giorno?" in one of those opening pages when dio's american kids appear, even though he doesn't actually do anything.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Giorno is definitely considered DIO's son, but he's probably only a JoJo because of Johnathan's body.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Doesn't being in a support role alone completely validate being a perfect mary sue? Most of the fights couldn't be won without Giorno doing stuff the same they couldn't be won without bruno or whoever doing other stuff, that's just how jojo fight scenes work. It's not even like Giorno plans the poo poo out of everything and tells everyone what to do, the two first fights after he joins the gang involve him being completely incapacitated/using a phone for the majority of them.

As for the praise, I don't remember a whole lot of GEE GIORNO YOU'RE THE BEST, a lot of it was more like "hey you're actually pretty competent and worth respect despite being 15 goddamn years old and having doughnut hair" from what I recall.

I dunno, the part V crunchyroll subs may have some of the exact same issues the manga has. They never once translated a part I line as "I, Dio".

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

He said it last episode I think.\

No that was OH GOD

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Stop talking about anything else and listen to this.

http://jojosbizarrevoices.tumblr.com/post/89078651655/propane-nightmare

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I knew hwat his Stand Cry was going to be before I even loaded the page. :allears:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That is pretty amazing. Does everyone get their own unique stand-cry nowadays?

Also, I made a thing. JoJo is supposed to be fabulous, right? :downs:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jeek posted:

Also, I made a thing. JoJo is supposed to be fabulous, right? :downs:

Man, this works far better than it has any right to do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Weird. I just just listening to that song.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Previews:
http://jojo-animation.com/contents/story/17.html

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The latter two thirds of Part 3's scan/translation in the big collection link in the OP of the thread is low quality old scans.

Is there a collection of high quality links like the first two parts and the start of part 3 of that link, or is the low quality stuff the only thing available for now. If it's filesharing to answer though, ignore me.

e: I can buy them legit, so problem solved.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 25, 2014

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Just buy the fuckin books, you'll get great quality and a great translation and marginally increase the chances for more Jojo in English.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm fresh to the manga so I didn't even know I could get those.
I'd much rather have the real thing besides, so I'll have a look into getting those. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Isn't it long out of print, though? It's not like buying the books second hand or off some store's shelves that has them lying around in a dusty bin is directly supporting the English publication works.

What you can do to support the series is to buy the Phantom Blood books as they are published come February.

• Locked thread