Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just like how happy Juicy is to be relevant twenty plus years later, but clearly Wiz is too good for the TMNT rap.

I can take or leave the nostalgic-signifier lyrics, but the beat is fantastic.

Plus, lines like "bandana on my face like a gangster" temper the generic family-friendly messaging in a way that should alarm dumb parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The UK had the right idea by changing "Ninja" to "Hero".

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Marvel announces a third 2018 release, this one for May 4. Not sure why this wasn't included in the other dates last week, but I'm getting a feeling that 5/6/2016 might not be the last game of release-date chicken.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me you're not friends with the 4-16 year-olds who are going to comprise the majority of the TMNT box office sales, while GoTG becomes the "sophisticated manchild" flick.

Don't know about sophisticated, but GotG does skew a little older than the average Marvel movie. Two shits, a few assholes, and a couple dicks. The words, not the actual things.

Very funny movie after the first five minutes making me want to cry.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Timby posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man 3 has been delayed until 2018, and it sound like the Venom and Sinister Six projects are on hold.
Sinister Six was announced for 2016 today, which is what pushed Spidey back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which is exactly why I don't think it'll catch much fire after its first week in theaters. TMNT is much more easy for kids to get and go for, while GoTG's greatest strength--it's relative risk taking in terms of setting, genre, characters, and brand recognition--is also its greatest weakness. What makes it even remotely special and above-average is also what's going to keep John and little Johnny Average from checking it out when there's an easy-to-swallow Michael Bay flick in the next theater.

Sadly its quality has little bearing on the box office.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It seems weird to pre-judge others for hypothetically not seeing a movie you've pre-judged as good for one you've pre-judged as bad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who's judging about anything? Everything I've said was simply factual, any opinions of mine you're getting are based on inference and not fact.

In fact I think GoTG is going to get huge backlash for not providing in-theater blowjobs and the TMNT movie looks a lot better than all early leaks seemed to indicate, but neither really has any bearing on box office compared to marketing and you know it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Eh, see both, who cares about the box office as both movies are going to make a ton of cash.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mind the walrus posted:

Which is exactly why I don't think it'll catch much fire after its first week in theaters. TMNT is much more easy for kids to get and go for, while GoTG's greatest strength--it's relative risk taking in terms of setting, genre, characters, and brand recognition--is also its greatest weakness. What makes it even remotely special and above-average is also what's going to keep John and little Johnny Average from checking it out when there's an easy-to-swallow Michael Bay flick in the next theater.

Sadly its quality has little bearing on the box office.

Last I heard, TMNT was tracking significantly lower ($40m domestic opening, compared to GotG's $68-70m).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
NO EDGAR WRIGHT NO BUYS.

Eh.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Eh, see both, who cares about the box office as both movies are going to make a ton of cash.

I might go see them back to back and make a whole evening of it, I'm really pretty stoked about both movies.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

The new Kamen Rider movie looks great.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Timby posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man 3 has been delayed until 2018, and it sound like the Venom and Sinister Six projects are on hold.

Good news.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Getting too much of a Star Lord vibe from it, and not enough of an Ant Man vibe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That really does look a lot like the Star Lord mask.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is this gonna be like the hydra weapons in Avengers/Captain America 2 where it's built off the same technology or whatever?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I thought it was a new (foreign?) GotG poster until I scrolled down and saw the ant.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

GotG was exceptional. lots of fun, the 3D looked how 3D is supposed to look (I hate 3D but was blown away; it's immersive through and through and doesn't rely on stupid random things popping out at you) and plenty of humor from all characters, not just Quill and Rocky.
the screening I was at last night had a bunch of cosplayers which was really weird. do people usually dress up for screenings / opening nights?

e: and the comments about the 3rd act being legit are true. it kept going all the way through with no slowing down and the fights (of which there are oodles) all felt exciting, even if we already knew the characters were gonna make it.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 24, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bewildrbeast posted:

do people usually dress up for screenings / opening nights?

Clearly you were never at any of Universal's advance screenings of Serenity.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vintersorg posted:

Some guy got all pissy about the song being targeted towards kids and we need to protect their precious ears from the evil rap music of that song.

"I don't think these rappers were an appropriate choice for musicians for a kids movie theme song. Where is our culture going? Pick role models please. These rappers are best reserved for adult music."

Did he ever see Turtles 2 back in the day?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Fuuuuuuuck, As much as I loved Nolans Batman, I never thought I would ever say in my that Afleck has visually nailed it!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He sure nailed being a dude wearing a Batman mask I guess.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What I meant was, to me, he is the first on screen Batman that actually looks like Batman.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
"Wear this cowl and, uhh, look mopey. Think about Daredevil or whatever."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

buttchin.jpg

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Haters gunna.. etc etc etc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

What I meant was, to me, he is the first on screen Batman that actually looks like Batman.

Is it the Batman mask? It's the Batman mask, isn't it?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Needed a more daring choice. Ben Affect as Bruce Wayne. Terry Crews as Batman.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I'm Batman in real life, and the most accurate film version of me is actually Batman Forever.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm Batman in real life, and the most accurate film version of me is actually Batman Forever.

You have no clue what Batman is do you?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cant wait to see that thing in motion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Cant wait to see that thing in motion.

The mask, or Ben Affleck's face? Because I don't think the mask will move much, and as for Ben Affleck's face, I've seen it in motion and you may be disappointed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The mask, or Ben Affleck's face? Because I don't think the mask will move much, and as for Ben Affleck's face, I've seen it in motion and you may be disappointed.

I hope Batman goes and saves some embassy workers in Iran.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You have no clue what Batman is do you?

I am.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Considering how full of underdeveloped manchildren SA is, I'd say we're all Batman.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hahaha, that face is amazing! :allears:

• Locked thread