Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Guy Axlerod posted:

For those of you who use Concur, is there a way to book for multiple people at once?

We just started using it, and it's tolerable for a single person traveling, but trying to book a group involves all of us getting on skype to agree on flight numbers. It's easier to book through some other site using the company card.

Have one person buy their tickets and then just copy that itinerary for everyone else? That's what our admins do.

Protip: Make sure you're the one whose stuff is purchased last. By that point there might only be first class available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

Marriott makes you ask for an upgrade instead of just giving it to you?

It depends widely on the property, but when I had Platinum status with Marriott a few years back I asked almost universally, and that was before they added suites to their upgrade policy. As a current SPG Platinum, I still ask and usually get the upgrade at check in. A few properties (like the Sheraton Barra in Rio de Janeiro which I miss very much) will upgrade elites in advance, but usually I see the basic upgrade to a regular room on a club floor or whatever. I did get the presidential suite at the Sheraton Gunther in San Antonio a couple of months ago prior to check in, so that was nice.

At the end of the day, if it hasn't been confirmed in advance, always ask at check in. You can do this without being a DYKWIA/douche/rear end in a top hat and if you're denied, respond with, "ok, thanks for checking" and let it go.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I slip in a 20 dollar tip each time. Sometimes yes sometimes no. However if I do get rejected they might throw in other things.

I still feel like tipping isn't really effective though

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Thoguh posted:

Marriott makes you ask for an upgrade instead of just giving it to you?
I have MR gold through United so when I stay i ask for sure. I'm also HH Diamond and there is zero consistency in the hilton family of hotels. A lot of time, embassies don't upgrade without asking and Hamptons almost never do unless you ask. Altho, most of the time a Hampton upgrade is just a better view of Denny's.

There is no consistency and if they haven't already done it, if you don't ask then you certainly won't get it. I do it in a non DYKWIA manner and shrug it off if I'm denied. If through the course of my stay, the place is dead and I missed the upgrade then I hold it against the hotel and try my luck somewhere else next time i'm in town. I like a suite, what can I say.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

There is no consistency and if they haven't already done it, if you don't ask then you certainly won't get it. I do it in a non DYKWIA manner and shrug it off if I'm denied. If through the course of my stay, the place is dead and I missed the upgrade then I hold it against the hotel and try my luck somewhere else next time i'm in town. I like a suite, what can I say.

To me, that right there is the key. Vote with your wallet; do business with vendors that provide quality service and shun the rest.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

caberham posted:

I slip in a 20 dollar tip each time. Sometimes yes sometimes no. However if I do get rejected they might throw in other things.

I still feel like tipping isn't really effective though

I felt like this was a buzzfeed top8 secret travel trips thing.

People with any sort of status really do this? Is it with petty cash or are you not expensing it?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

sellouts posted:

I felt like this was a buzzfeed top8 secret travel trips thing.

People with any sort of status really do this? Is it with petty cash or are you not expensing it?

No, I've been SPG Platinum/Concierge for a zillion years and I have never paid a tip. Asking usually works just as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Honestly I don't care much about hotel rooms on business travel as long as they are decent. I'd much prefer an airline or car upgrade over a hotel upgrade. The only hotel difference I care much about is lounge access (if they have one). Generally I'm not using the room for anything other than showering and sleeping anyway.

A suite upgrade is pretty awesome when I'm on my own dime though.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Exec floor upgrades increase my chances of being insulated from lovely little league trips and the like. I like peace in my room.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Thoguh posted:

Honestly I don't care much about hotel rooms on business travel as long as they are decent. I'd much prefer an airline or car upgrade over a hotel upgrade. The only hotel difference I care much about is lounge access (if they have one). Generally I'm not using the room for anything other than showering and sleeping anyway.

A suite upgrade is pretty awesome when I'm on my own dime though.

Yeah pretty much the only thing I care about is free nights and so on. I like to simmer in nice baths if I have the chance but thats really a by hotel basis and not rooms.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Exec floor upgrades increase my chances of being insulated from lovely little league trips and the like. I like peace in my room.

I've never had this happen really, maybe I'm getting just a level above that stuff? Or really lucky. Its definitely happened on personal trips though, earplugs are nice.
The only "problem" I had with organized sports teams is when the Japanese national women's ice hockey team stayed in the same hotel in Wisconsin :banjo:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I imagine if spent 50-100 more a night I could probably shed the family vacationers by and large. I go to a lot of recreational spots and thus I get trumpeting elephant children.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

I imagine if spent 50-100 more a night I could probably shed the family vacationers by and large. I go to a lot of recreational spots and thus I get trumpeting elephant children.

I just sleep with earplugs, with them I don't notice anything once I lie down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I just sleep with earplugs, with them I don't notice anything once I lie down.

Including my alarm the next morning, sometimes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Midjack posted:

I have this song set to full volume on my phone alarm. It goes right through the earplugs.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I have this song set to full volume on my phone alarm. It goes right through the earplugs.

God I hope that song is available on those TouchTunes machines they have at bars. I am going to put that on repeat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
11:00 am canceled thus begun the nightmare. Considered fist fighting a middle age women, "you need to move" when I was trying to queue up to talk to a gate agent. And then I just overheard a woman practically crying about her bag that's checked on a flight while an attendant tries to explain it's on the plane already. It's amazing how people act in airports, just nasty and like...dumb.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

11:00 am canceled thus begun the nightmare. Considered fist fighting a middle age women, "you need to move" when I was trying to queue up to talk to a gate agent. And then I just overheard a woman practically crying about her bag that's checked on a flight while an attendant tries to explain it's on the plane already. It's amazing how people act in airports, just nasty and like...dumb.

Stepping into an airport drops everyone's IQ and situational awareness by like twenty points.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would rank almost fist fighting someone as up there in ridiculous behavior.

Back on the road to Chicago. So I had to go early and add a night at the front end. Rather than extend my reservation they booked a second one. So now I am getting credit for 2 stays.

It never occurred to me to do this. Isn't this just gaming the system to boost to minimum stay requirements? Or do they usually catch on to this?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

sellouts posted:

Back on the road to Chicago. So I had to go early and add a night at the front end. Rather than extend my reservation they booked a second one. So now I am getting credit for 2 stays.

It never occurred to me to do this. Isn't this just gaming the system to boost to minimum stay requirements? Or do they usually catch on to this?

Hey she started it!

I have marriott promotion going that requires 3 stays and x points but I'm booking monthly so I have to request some manual action to count my stays and log my points. So I guess you could game it like that since they don't seem to care when I count 1 month long stay as 4 1 weekers. Then again maybe if I was trying this daily they'd stop me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why not just do some mattress hopping? Are there any other Marriott properties in the area? Or any other chains you could jump to in order to break up your stays?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 25, 2014

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
So Avianca Brazil is apparently not part of *A even though regular Avianca is. Bizarre.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sellouts posted:

A colleague several years ago got in good with one of the ladies at the front desk. She checked him out and in every single day. He didn't even have to go to the front desk.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thoguh posted:

oh my GOD

Where did you find this?

poo poo, it's on iTunes.

We have the soundtrack for next week at the lab.

mim
Apr 25, 2010

Midjack posted:

I've got a https://jawbone.com/up which I wear in bed (it has a sleep tracking feature) that vibrates when my alarm goes off. Seems to do the trick for me.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/07/24/dad-says-southwest-removed-him-from-flight-over-twitter-gripe/13088173/

quote:

Duff Watson of New Hope, Minn., tells KARE 11 TV of Minneapolis he's an elite "A-List" member of Southwest's Rapid Rewards frequent-flier program. A-List customers are entitled to early boarding because of their status, and Watson assumed that would include his children – ages 9 and 6 – who were traveling with him on a flight from Denver to Minneapolis

Southwest Airlines jets at Baltimore-Washington International Airport on May 16, 2008.

A gate agent informed Watson that was not the case, and they'd have to wait until after priority boarding to get on the aircraft. But Watson, who tells KARE 11 that he has been able to board early with his kids on previous trips, claims the gate agent "rudely and dismissively" told him they'd have to wait.

"I said, 'is this a new policy? I'm not clear,'" Watson explains to KARE 11.

He claims the gate agent replied: "No, that's the policy and we can stand here and argue about it all day, but I'm not going to change my mind."

Watson says he responded with: "Real nice way to treat an A-List. I'll be sure to tweet about it."

And he followed through.

"I said in caps: RUDEST AGENT IN DENVER. KIMBERLY S. GATE C39. NOT HAPPY @SWA," Watson tells KARE 11.

Then, after Watson and his family were seated, they were paged on the plane's PA system and told to gather their belongings and get off the plane.

Watson says he encountered the same agent. He claims she said she felt threatened that Watson used her name and location in his social media complaint. The woman, according to Watson, said she was going to call the police and that the family would not be allowed on the plane unless he deleted his tweet.

A supervisor was called, and the family was allowed to get back on the plane – but only after Watson deleted the tweet.

Watson tells KARE 11 that he didn't think he should have to do so, but complied because "I frankly was so shaken and so upset, I just want to kind of get home."

Southwest acknowledged the incident, saying in a statement:

On Sunday, July 20, a Southwest Airlines Employee and Customer were having a conversation that escalated about the airline's family boarding procedures. The Customer was briefly removed from flight #2347 from Denver to Minneapolis/St. Paul to resolve the conversation outside of the aircraft and away from the other Passengers. Our decision was not based solely on a Customer's tweet. Following a successful resolution, the Customer and his family were able to continue on the flight to Minneapolis. We are thoroughly investigating the situation. We have reached out to the Customer and offered vouchers as a gesture of goodwill.

Still, Watson tells KARE 11 that he's not satisfied with the response, telling the station that he does not intend to fly the airline again.

Guaranteed this is DYKWIA rear end in a top hat. SW gate agents are awesome in Denver but they don't hesitate to shut down your dumb bullshit. I saw them force a guy to get off a plane when they found out he took a blue preboard sleeve out of the gate desk trashcan. That was awesome

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

Watson says he responded with: "Real nice way to treat an A-List. I'll be sure to tweet about it."

The only way to proceed here is execution. Consider it a mercy killing, think about those poor children.

This guy had some time to think about it and still shared that he actually said these words. Jesus Christ.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Power tripping GAs and FAs are every bit as annoying and despicable as the dykwia.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

You can sometimes get individual properties to do this but the audit folks at the mothership look for things like this and whack the peepees of those who do it regularly (a buddy of mine works for SPG so I hear stories). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try if you needed stay credit for requal, but I wouldn't do it just to get a few extra points or something.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pissingintowind posted:

So Avianca Brazil is apparently not part of *A even though regular Avianca is. Bizarre.

Yep, they left and Azul joined. I booked an an Azul award ticket using my UA miles for a buddy of mine (who flies AA) and was down there for World Cup. He said they were quite decent for the intra-Brazil hop, and they're looking to expand their long haul ops with a J product that looks pretty good from the early pics I've seen of it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've priority boarded on swa with someone on the A-list and it was allowed. I thought they gave families early boarding anyway. So I kinda understand the dudes reaction, but seems like he's a dick and I would not be surprised if there was something else that got the gate agent going.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

You can sometimes get individual properties to do this but the audit folks at the mothership look for things like this and whack the peepees of those who do it regularly (a buddy of mine works for SPG so I hear stories). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try if you needed stay credit for requal, but I wouldn't do it just to get a few extra points or something.

Yeah. Wasn't intentional and I am sure they have record that I booked them at different times and via different methods.

Also it felt good to one up my buddy with over 1m SPG points by dropping my SPG Amex with chip and signature before he got it. Small victories.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

I've priority boarded on swa with someone on the A-list and it was allowed. I thought they gave families early boarding anyway. So I kinda understand the dudes reaction, but seems like he's a dick and I would not be surprised if there was something else that got the gate agent going.

Family boarding is between the A and B groups, but only if you have kids 4 or younger.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you board late is it possible to get separated from your kids on a SWA flight? I've never flown with them and have no idea about their boarding.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Uncle Jam posted:

If you board late is it possible to get separated from your kids on a SWA flight? I've never flown with them and have no idea about their boarding.

Seating is first come, first served on WN. I imagine that's why keeping your party together would be higher priority in that situation, especially if you have kids involved.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Usually they are pretty cool and would prob work with you to keep your fam together, at least until you threaten a twitter war.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Please to not ask me to switch your middle with my aisle so you can sit with your 12 year old on a 3 hour flight.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Aristotle Animes posted:

Please to not ask me to switch your middle with my aisle so you can sit with your 12 year old on a 3 hour flight.

I always just throw the headphones on and pretend to sleep if I get any inclination that someone will try and swap seats with me. Just give nothing but "leave me the gently caress alone" body language.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Colleague of mine, right across the aisle from me, was asked by a pax to switch her aisle for a window in F on a 2.5hr ride "because this was her first time in first class". Colleague said no and was berated by an FA who made a huge deal out of it by asking the pax in a loud voice "Did you ask her to switch with you? And she wouldn't? Awww well maybe she should read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Then came back to ask the pax, right over the top of my colleague's head "SHE STILL WON'T SWITCH WITH YOU, AWWW, I'M SO SORRY. SOME PEOPLE, HMMM?"

just.... wow.

I think I might have called the purser.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
I asked a dude last night if he wanted to switch so he could sit next to his wife, and he was like, "no I don't like the bulkhead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Actually I've seen them use the PA to find empty rows or at least seats close to each other and then an attendant goes and holds that row for the fam. Forget asking people to give up an aisle/window, sky law man.

It would be weird to not be sequential in your boarding group anyway since you'd need to buy in separate batches. Not SWA I got the seat next to my gf on an AA trip we bought separately but almost simultaneously.