Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is why you start with OWB. No more poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

LoonShia posted:

This is why you start with OWB. No more poison.

God yes. I always beeline for OWB now and never take my heart back because gently caress poison so hard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If I were funnier, I'd say something about how I left my heart in Big MT.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Agents Are Go helped me fix the problem I had earlier. Thanks again!

Unrelated: how does ST Robot interact with OWB, considering I don't have a heart, spine, or brain?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

razorrozar posted:

Agents Are Go helped me fix the problem I had earlier. Thanks again!

Unrelated: how does ST Robot interact with OWB, considering I don't have a heart, spine, or brain?

If it's compatible, I would imagine that the game would just keep going and pretend that you had a heart, spine, and brain and shove them in there. There would be a discrepancy in the dialogue and plot about finding your brain, but nothing else.

What I'm more interested in is if you can put the organs "back" in your body or if ST Robot just overrides it?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

CJacobs posted:

Turn off the Steam Overlay if you have it enabled. Also, see if you have ingame AA and AF enabled and disable them if so.

Apparently even though I disabled steam overlay for fallout, when I launch it using the fallout mod manager it has the steam overlay regardless of my wishes. Is there a workaround for this?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Capn Beeb posted:

I think you can set those keys on the fly using the shift-enter menu in game. Should be the first menu that's got all the save/load config options.

ok, turns out I missed putting the d3d9 dll in the right directory so ENB wasn't even working (no wonder I thought Onix was weird :v: )

buuuuuuuut .249 crashes my game on startup instantly, so this is kind of a bust. What's the #2 cool kid ENB these days so I can actually play this game again :sigh:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How do I catch bounties alive in New Vegas Bounties II? Scull said something about a collar but I don't see it in my inventory anywhere.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Psion posted:

ok, turns out I missed putting the d3d9 dll in the right directory so ENB wasn't even working (no wonder I thought Onix was weird :v: )

buuuuuuuut .249 crashes my game on startup instantly, so this is kind of a bust. What's the #2 cool kid ENB these days so I can actually play this game again :sigh:

Well, like I said, I like Rudy right now but ENBs are really hard to recommend. It's based on what you like, more than anything else.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OK turns out the answer was to ignore the Onix readme and do it the way I always do ENBs. messy, but effective. Copy everything, everywhere.

I'll check out Rudy though anyway after I give Onix a spin now that I've got it working right.

Ramensaurus
Mar 25, 2012

His name is RA-MEN SAURUS
He is urchin has many curiosity
but he is a person
who makes much of good Looks.

Xeras posted:

What mods would be recommended for a first playthrough? In the Games Recommendation thread I was advised to get: Jsawyer mod, New Vegas Script Extender and CASM. Any of these I should not get and any in addition? I am not looking for the core gameplay to be drastically changed but the DLC weapons being available right away is probably not ideal, either.

A bit late to this, but I am on my first playthrough and have been using a small set to get a mostly vanilla experience.

1) FNV4GB.exe
2) YUP
3) NMC's texture pack

It works pretty well, I have no issues with crashing, which I was initially worried I would having read through large portions of this thread and seen people saying they have to run NVSE+CASM+NVAC. My guess is that the crashes are from the usually extensive amount of mods most other people run. To be honest, I'm only 25 hours in, maybe the game becomes more crash prone when you have hundreds of hours in one save.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I saw a screenshot recently, cannot recall where, but a character was wearing some jacket that looked like one of the merc armors, but it was kinda thick, and had a really neat fur collar on. I need it because dressup is like 40% of what I do. Anyone seen anything like that?

Also no it was not SDs Black Mountain jacket :argh:

E:

poo poo maybe it was, god drat my memory blows donkey dick

Beeb fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 24, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ramensaurus posted:

A bit late to this, but I am on my first playthrough and have been using a small set to get a mostly vanilla experience.

1) FNV4GB.exe
2) YUP
3) NMC's texture pack

It works pretty well, I have no issues with crashing, which I was initially worried I would having read through large portions of this thread and seen people saying they have to run NVSE+CASM+NVAC. My guess is that the crashes are from the usually extensive amount of mods most other people run. To be honest, I'm only 25 hours in, maybe the game becomes more crash prone when you have hundreds of hours in one save.

It's more about how MUCH you've done. I found the base game gets more unstable once your save file goes over 10MB.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
This is an issue I have with both New Vegas and Skyrim.

When I run either game with the script extender running, the game has a border along the corners as if I'm running in a window. ALT+Enter doesn't help.

Any tips on how to fix this?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I saw a screenshot recently, cannot recall where, but a character was wearing some jacket that looked like one of the merc armors, but it was kinda thick, and had a really neat fur collar on. I need it because dressup is like 40% of what I do. Anyone seen anything like that?

Also no it was not SDs Black Mountain jacket :argh:

E:

poo poo maybe it was, god drat my memory blows donkey dick

Is it from this armor pack that Geonox made?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37349/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At first I was going to say it might have been a Leon Kennedy jacket mod because Leon's coat kinda looks like one of the merc armors, but somehow I was unable to find one on the nexus! :monocle:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

prometheusbound2 posted:

This is an issue I have with both New Vegas and Skyrim.

When I run either game with the script extender running, the game has a border along the corners as if I'm running in a window. ALT+Enter doesn't help.

Any tips on how to fix this?

Try using the plugin OneTweak.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Can I install "A World Of Pain" without having to start a new game?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ramensaurus posted:

1) FNV4GB.exe
2) YUP
3) NMC's texture pack

It's not possible to generalize based on one (or two, or even two hundred) experiences with this game. I had a crash-free vanilla playthrough back in the 1.0 launch days, I've had crashy as poo poo stuff vanilla, stable mod stuff, crashy mod stuff. Gamebryo is weird.

that said, you aren't wrong in that there is a correlation between super modding the gently caress out of the game and making it less stable, sure, but there are also mods which help a ton with stability. Which ones you use and how you use them matter a lot more than number of mods, I think!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can I install "A World Of Pain" without having to start a new game?

I remember uninstalling and installing AWOP a few days ago when troubleshooting a glitch I had, and it still worked fine.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going to start a new NV playthrough and I'm looking for mods that give me more poo poo to kill. I've already got the Outside Bets mod to add more NPCs, IWS, and both NVBs. I also have a mod that gives NPCs the DLC weapons to make things more interesting when I get into a shootout. Is there anything else that would be good, or am I set?

Also, what IWS settings work well? I'd like things to be more interesting, but I don't want dumb crap like getting jumped by 30+ Cazadores when I'm visiting the Great Khans or constantly running into packs of 25 Fiends every few steps I take in the South Vegas area.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

closeted republican posted:

I'm going to start a new NV playthrough and I'm looking for mods that give me more poo poo to kill. I've already got the Outside Bets mod to add more NPCs, IWS, and both NVBs. I also have a mod that gives NPCs the DLC weapons to make things more interesting when I get into a shootout. Is there anything else that would be good, or am I set?

Also, what IWS settings work well? I'd like things to be more interesting, but I don't want dumb crap like getting jumped by 30+ Cazadores when I'm visiting the Great Khans or constantly running into packs of 25 Fiends every few steps I take in the South Vegas area.

DFB - Random Encounters adds patrols from various factions that will show up around the mojave at an interval of your choice. Some will obviously be hostile towards you (Fiends, raiders, jackals) some will leave you alone (mercenaries) or even fight against other hostile groups. Brotherhood patrols can be a bit lore breaking, Enclave vertibirds dropping off troops even more so... fortunately there are MCM options to disable any of these factions, or only have them show up after your character is a certain level. Changing these values mid game doesn't do any harm (though it won't remove a group that already spawned) so if you want to disable Brotherhood of Steel spawns until you feel they should begin patrolling the Mojave again, its a simple as hitting the escape key and changing a setting.

IWS also makes use of MCM settings, so I would recommend starting with a low value, and if you feel it isn't challenging enough, increase it as you play. Maybe consider turning it down again before you enter areas that you know will be tough... Quarry Junction gets pretty goddamn ridiculous with IWS cranked up. The "Feral Ghoul Rampage" slider can make the Repconn Test center a tempting place to bring a Fat Man, though.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

razorrozar posted:

How do I catch bounties alive in New Vegas Bounties II? Scull said something about a collar but I don't see it in my inventory anywhere.

Depends on the bounty. Some bounties are only for the finger (no option to capture alive), and I think their quest text should say if this is the case. Some bounties will involve the person initiating conversation first, and you can convince them to surrender rather than fight.

Other bounties, particularly ones that start with a fight, will require you hurt, but not kill, the bounty before they'll surrender. If they have henchmen or friends, you'll usually have to kill them first. Once you've done some damage (not 100% sure how much, but try to at least cripple a limb), they'll give up fighting and try to initiate conversation to surrender. You have to be careful when damaging them that you don't kill them too fast or fail to give them a chance to stop fighting and talk, since there can be a bit of a delay for the game to realize they should stop fighting and start talking.

As for the collar, I don't think there's an actual item, it just comes into existence through dialog when they give themselves up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can I install "A World Of Pain"

Would you really want to?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Mortimer posted:

Would you really want to?

I dont think any of the dungeons are that good, most of the enemies are WAY too strong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Renditious posted:

Depends on the bounty. Some bounties are only for the finger (no option to capture alive), and I think their quest text should say if this is the case. Some bounties will involve the person initiating conversation first, and you can convince them to surrender rather than fight.

Other bounties, particularly ones that start with a fight, will require you hurt, but not kill, the bounty before they'll surrender. If they have henchmen or friends, you'll usually have to kill them first. Once you've done some damage (not 100% sure how much, but try to at least cripple a limb), they'll give up fighting and try to initiate conversation to surrender. You have to be careful when damaging them that you don't kill them too fast or fail to give them a chance to stop fighting and talk, since there can be a bit of a delay for the game to realize they should stop fighting and start talking.

As for the collar, I don't think there's an actual item, it just comes into existence through dialog when they give themselves up.

As far as I know, the collar is "always there" when you accept a dead-or-alive bounty. Some don't even require a fight, as you can talk them down before a fight begins.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Last year when I played a game with AWOP (with the unofficial balance patch) I didn't find that to be the case at all. I was using a 12ga shotgun, a hunting rifle, and Thump-Thump, with hand-loaded ammo where applicable. The most annoying/dangerous/bullshit enemies turned out to be swarms of nightstalkers. They are pretty easy to dispatch with an explosives character though, especially if you can thin them out with some well-placed mines.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you install 00 Commando, shotguns become beastly. The guns and ammo are cheap and there's tons of reloading options, and increasing their damage and spread to more realistic levels turns them into hard hitters.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So here's a neat mod for enhanced cameras if you have WAR.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55648/

Basically makes it so when your not aiming, it uses the third person war animations for first person, so you won't have weird animations like having only one arm while running with a pistol.

I use the second version because the third has a weird assault rifle idle animation.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renditious posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

As far as I know, the collar is "always there" when you accept a dead-or-alive bounty. Some don't even require a fight, as you can talk them down before a fight begins.

Ah, that explains it. I already killed the Mongol Kid, I knocked him unconscious but he never offered to surrender so I assumed I was being a moron. I never crippled his limbs, I'll do that next time. Thanks!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

razorrozar posted:

Ah, that explains it. I already killed the Mongol Kid, I knocked him unconscious but he never offered to surrender so I assumed I was being a moron. I never crippled his limbs, I'll do that next time. Thanks!

Killing ones who can surrender is great because at the added bar near novac you'll find sensationalist news paper articles calling you a monster for killing slavers and rapists and the like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Making the strip all one worldspace mod: good or bad? Is there still one that adds a bunch of buildings on the strip?

Other than being awesome to look at is there any big advantage/disadvantage anymore? I remember some quest mods were a bit wonky if they involved changing areas but I think they got those worked out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Making the strip all one worldspace mod: good or bad? Is there still one that adds a bunch of buildings on the strip?

Other than being awesome to look at is there any big advantage/disadvantage anymore? I remember some quest mods were a bit wonky if they involved changing areas but I think they got those worked out.

I think the vanilla quests are patched to avoid any bugs with the Strip Open mods. The biggest issue is its hit to your performance, like Freeside Open.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Hey guys. I just downloaded NV via Steam and installed the FMM. I have installed the following mods (FMM crashed a lot, but I hear that's normal)

When I press 'Launch Fallout:NV' I get the initial screen with the credits and stuff, then it just crashes and says there's been an error (standard windows error)

Does anyone know if one or two of these mods are conflicting or something? I think I kept it simple, and haven't done anything weird with them...

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Lmao you don't have any .esm's checked.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

Lmao you don't have any .esm's checked.

Ah I wasn't sure if I had to enable those as they're part of the game. I just ticked them all and launched the game, but it's still crashing :(

This is what's in my Package manager if it helps :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

Ah I wasn't sure if I had to enable those as they're part of the game. I just ticked them all and launched the game, but it's still crashing :(

Get LOOT and run it for your load order. You also aren't loading FalloutNV.esm first, which is another problem.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having a strange issue. I had Freeside Open installed but disabled it for a new playthrough where I'm playing New Vegas Bounties in case there were conflicts. Sure enough I get a contract to kill someone in Freeside and when I get there it's still one open space and of course I can't get to the person I need to get to.

Here's my load order because I'm sure I hosed up somewhere and left it enabled, but I'm not seeing it:

quote:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
SomeguySeries.esm
GtabImprovedAmmoTFRMaster.esm
FCOMaster.esm
IWS-Core.esm
Gomorrah Redesigned.esp
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esm
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.esm
CCO - Classic Perks.esm
CCO - Follower Tweaks.esm
DFB - Random Encounters.esm
LFox Sink Bug Fixes.esp
Tutorial Killer.esp
YEP.esp
Big MT Crater Exit Passage.esp
PerkEveryLevel.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance.esp
athornysituation.esp
awilderwasteland.esp
betsybrahminFSO.esp
kochandbohr.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
outsidebets.esp
xatmosSkillPerks.esp
FO1TAG.esp
Lightshow Industries VigorTester.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-LR.esp
pipboy2500_edisleado.esp
SignatureArmor.esp
SignatureWeapons.esp
Sprint Mod.esp
Revealedmapmarkersv2.esp
1nivVSLArmors.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
FCO - GlowingOne.esp
LFox Cannibal Perk Improvements.esp
Cass alternate version.esp
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esp
JoeCobbIsFiend.esp
Self-supporting power armor.esp
Fallout 1 and 2 ambient music v0.2.esp
shut up musicspeakers.esp
KingOfTheRing.esp
Rewarding Exploring - 25.esp
NewVegasKiller.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Dead Money.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Honest Hearts.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Old World Blues.esp
CCO - Perk Rebalance - Lonesome Road.esp
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Honest.Hearts.Grunt.Patch.esp
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Leveled.Lists.esp
Weapons.of.the.New.Millenia.Store.LITE.esp
TheInheritance.esp
Russell.esp

Total active plugins: 67
Total plugins: 87

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Good news is that a mod exists specifically for that conflict!

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55343/

As well as one for NVBII.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55365/

I know the first one works because I had the exact same conflict issue myself and it worked for me.

EDIT: I probably should've also actually checked the load order first. I'm, uh, not seeing FreesideOpen on there either. That's... pretty loving weird.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

Mr E posted:

Get LOOT and run it for your load order. You also aren't loading FalloutNV.esm first, which is another problem.

I've set FalloutNV.esm to load first, and have run LOOT which shows this

Does that help at all? Sorry for being a pain, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

If I load up FMM with all of the .esm files and just BetterGamePerformance, jsawyer and NevadaSkies - Basic , it loads fine. So it must be one of the others, but I've tried mixing and matching and can't really pinpoint it..

Edit - It seems if I exclude NewVegasBounties 1 + 2, and Nevada Skies TTw and Ultimate Edition, then it works okay. So I'm guessing one of those must be the issue?

Bloodbath fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 26, 2014