Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nintendo Kid posted:

You didn't read the posts involved. Here, let me show them to you:

Notice how none of that is me alleging the trails were fair?

That wasn't my point. Again, please learn to read posts, which I have helpfully re-quoted for you. :)

And the one you left off

Tatum Girlparts posted:

with that or my ghost grandpa would find a way to beat my rear end, but are we seriously pretending they got fair trials and justice was the goal?

OBL met the exact same fate as any of the people in those trials, we pretended to care about 'doing it right' and then fuckin killed him because let's be honest, every life is sacred, but gently caress that guy.

Nintendo Kid posted:

To be fair, some people actually got acquitted at Nuremberg et al.

Put more effort into your trolling. Or better yet stop posting, you are making me agree with SedanChair and it feels weird. And not in a sexy way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magres posted:

God you're being an insufferable autist

This was the actual start of that conversation:

NOTICE THE CLEAR IMPLICATION THAT THE TRIALS WERE RIGGED. I even helpfully bolded it. Or did you somehow thing Tatum was being sincere in saying that

Notice how I never made a contrary statement to them being rigged.

It's amazing how you vociferously shout that you don't read posts!

Fried Chicken posted:

And the one you left off

Tatum Girlparts posted:

with that or my ghost grandpa would find a way to beat my rear end, but are we seriously pretending they got fair trials and justice was the goal?

OBL met the exact same fate as any of the people in those trials, we pretended to care about 'doing it right' and then fuckin killed him because let's be honest, every life is sacred, but gently caress that guy.

Put more effort into your trolling.

I ain't trolling, you just got heated up about some random thing once again. A question was asked, a question was answered, then you freaked out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Notice how I never made a contrary statement to them being rigged.

Magres posted:

"I didn't say they were fair I said they weren't unfair it's different rolleyes:" or something equally pedantic and asinine.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I ain't trolling, you just got heated up about some random thing once again. A question was asked, a question was answered, then you freaked out.
Dance puppets dance etc. step up your game son

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holyyy poo poo
Coulter must be delighted by this news

quote:

The Chris McDaniel Mississippi campaign is once again under scrutiny, this time over an FEC filing showing their ties to a group they previously denied involvement with. And a McDaniel staffer got pretty angry when talking to a reporter about the subject, and things escalated quickly.

The McDaniel campaign reported roughly $11,000 in disbursements to the Liberty Action Center, listed as rental and catering services, which the LAC does not provide. And additionally, the LAC called voters weeks ago asking if they’d support a legal challenge to the Republican runoff race that gave Senator Thad Cochran a win over McDaniel.

Clarion-Ledger reporter Sam R. Hall spoke with McDaniel communications director Noel Fritsch about the FEC filing. Fritsch said it must have been an error, and said all they worked with the LAC on was email.

But when Hall persisted, that’s when Fritsch got very agitated. He told Hall, “I don’t accept the premise of your question,” took a shot at the trustworthiness of his reporting, and then dredged this up out of nowhere.

Fritsch then said, “Off the record, when did you stop beating your wife?”
When I asked him what the hell he was talking about, he repeated the refrain, “I don’t accept the premise of your questions about those calls.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-staffer-gets-testy-with-reporter-when-did-you-stop-beating-your-wife/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

Dance puppets dance etc. step up your game son

Do you have a strawman fetish or something? Honest question.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do you have a strawman fetish or something? Honest question.

Do you have a pedantism fetish or something? Honest question.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magres posted:

No, I just don't put up with people blatantly lying.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sorry to interrupt this delightful history chat, but I'm curious if anyone can shed any light on the Export-Import Situation.

Right now there are only three bills that deal directly with the renewal of the bank - HR4768 (which is a Democratic measure to prevent money from being used for building high carbon electrical generation facilities) and HR2263/S.1102, "The Export-Import Bank Termination Act". What I'm curious about is that from a causal reading of the latter, the plan is that the bank will continue on until three years after the bill's passage.

So what in the heck is going on here? What is the point of deferring it for three years, when it normally comes up for vote every two? That places it square into the first 6-9 months of the next presidency.

Are Republicans just kicking the can down the road while being able to say in 2014 that they voted against it? Are they actually for it, maybe establishment/tea party split? Or do they figure that Dems will vote for it as well because it will keep the bank going and everyone thinks they'll win and change the law when it comes up again.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solkanar512 posted:

Sorry to interrupt this delightful history chat, but I'm curious if anyone can shed any light on the Export-Import Situation.

Right now there are only three bills that deal directly with the renewal of the bank - HR4768 (which is a Democratic measure to prevent money from being used for building high carbon electrical generation facilities) and HR2263/S.1102, "The Export-Import Bank Termination Act". What I'm curious about is that from a causal reading of the latter, the plan is that the bank will continue on until three years after the bill's passage.

So what in the heck is going on here? What is the point of deferring it for three years, when it normally comes up for vote every two? That places it square into the first 6-9 months of the next presidency.

Are Republicans just kicking the can down the road while being able to say in 2014 that they voted against it? Are they actually for it, maybe establishment/tea party split? Or do they figure that Dems will vote for it as well because it will keep the bank going and everyone thinks they'll win and change the law when it comes up again.

Anyone know what's going on here?

The plan is indeed to safely kick the can far enough away that noone sitting in Congress right now and looking for reelection soon has to deal with it. The people who think they can get a popularity boost from their base from closing the thing get to have that without any of the fallout that would come if the bank was shut down asap and visibly hurt business.

All the reputation building of "taking down Big Government" without the immediate risk to business entailed.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Politician not named Rand Paul busted for plagiarism

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Magres posted:

It's Fishmech. The answer is yes.

Has any progress been made on the latest immigration crisis beyond a bunch of screeching lilywhite assholes terrorizing the kids?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I was going to play nice with Fishmech and be all touchy feely and assume they're talking in good faith and not just being a douchebag and explain why they have so many communication problems with people, but it's Fishmech. This has been their schtick for years, and it's being intentionally dense and not a legitimate 'idgi why do people hate me' moment.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
"Rigged" is obviously not correct. That the Nazis were charged with crimes under laws that didn't exist when the crimes were committed is probably correct. That the Nazis had an unusually high conviction rate is laughably untrue. 21/24 is an 88% conviction rate, which is roughly the conviction rate for Felony DWIs and numerous other crimes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

Franz von Papen and Hans Fritzsche were acquitted in the major trials where the bigwigs were being set up for hangings. 2 out of 24 where an additional 2 committed suicide before trial or were declared medically unfit ain't bad.

Papen deserved the noose for playing politics with Schleicher so poorly that Hitler was made chancellor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
E: Wrong thread

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

StandardVC10 posted:

His sports show on ESPN is decently entertaining when he's doing highlights. (But not interviews. Not his fault though, there is no one alive who can make sports interviews interesting to me.)
The first part where he gets to be semi-political and often historical is really good.

When Jason Collins signed a contract, it was touted as the first time an openly gay player was signed to play for a major professional league. Olbermann talked about an openly gay player on the Dodgers back in the '70s. I listen to his show (ESPN has a channel on Sirius XM) both to get his highlights and to hear his semi-political view on something.

And I heard when one on the guys on Sports Night showed up to help show the highlights :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, 3 of them:

A radio announcer who was brought in because he sounded like Goebbels when he read on the airwaves,

a banker well connected to the western leadership

a guy who was promptly charged convicted and imprisoned by Germany for his Nazi activities as proof that the western occupation was reinstating rule of law.

Let's not loving pretend here, ok?

That banker was pretty the reason why hitler was actually able to build the Wehrmacht, the German economic miracle and subsequent stabilization was all him.

Also there was more than just the 'one' trial at Nuremberg you get from googling for the Wikipedia pages.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That banker was pretty the reason why hitler was actually able to build the Wehrmacht, the German economic miracle and subsequent stabilization was all him.

Also there was more than just the 'one' trial at Nuremberg you get from googling for the Wikipedia pages.

I was going off what I remembered from high school history actually. All I really remember from Mr Mendenhall's class was he would rant about Nuremburg, had an absolute hate on for World War 1 and the 3 cousins, wax about how great it was to be a teenage boy during the 60s sex revolution (which, looking back, was kind of creepy), put on History of the World Part 1 when he wanted us to shut up, and talk about history urban legends like "Lincoln was part black"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Doing it in the most messy way possible may end support for the death penalty faster than anything else.

Explosive hat. Put it on him, push a button and BANG! It's over.

Now in fedora, trilby and trucker.

(Don't tell Freep)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Generation Opportunity held a "Carenival" yesterday on the Mall (pics inside), which was like a Carnival, but about how having government subsidized healthcare will cause you to die of jock itch. There was a Death Panel!

In case you don't know, Generation Opportunity is the Koch-funded group responsible for those rapey Uncle Sam ads earlier in the year.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Generation Opportunity held a "Carenival" yesterday on the Mall (pics inside), which was like a Carnival, but about how having government subsidized healthcare will cause you to die of jock itch. There was a Death Panel!

In case you don't know, Generation Opportunity is the Koch-funded group responsible for those rapey Uncle Sam ads earlier in the year.

Oh good. When I first read the word 'Carenival' I was worried that it was going to be some incredibly lame liberal event that makes me feel embarrassed by association.

This bad pun is entirely on your heads, GOP.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I read that as this kind of Carnival and was very disappointed by the lack of giant papier-mâché heads.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chard posted:

I read that as this kind of Carnival and was very disappointed by the lack of giant papier-mâché heads.

Did you not see the two pictures with rapey Uncle Sam?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Did you not see the two pictures with rapey Uncle Sam?

Apparently these ads had a positive effect on ACA enrollment as the awareness generated by them trumped fearmongering.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Well that's certainly one way to get over a spinal tap.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

His thesis was only 14 pages and he still plagiarized that much?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Naet posted:

His thesis was only 14 pages and he still plagiarized that much?

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if a thorough examination of all the theses turned in for degrees/grades found a higher average rate of plagiarization than that. Politicians only get called out more frequently because people are actually checking. Also now with the internet you can just Google the paper and look for hits. Which he should have been aware of in 2007, but apparently he plagiarized well enough to get away with it.

If there's one thing I learned working at a college it's that students will plagiarize by default and often ask your help in doing so. Though there are the noble few who just write their whole paper by pulling poo poo directly from their rear end, and then just look for a list of books to toss into a bibliography. At least they have a little class and moxy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

What did bin Laden have to do with Reagan's election?

Ha! Fair point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gyges posted:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if a thorough examination of all the theses turned in for degrees/grades found a higher average rate of plagiarization than that. Politicians only get called out more frequently because people are actually checking. Also now with the internet you can just Google the paper and look for hits. Which he should have been aware of in 2007, but apparently he plagiarized well enough to get away with it.

If there's one thing I learned working at a college it's that students will plagiarize by default and often ask your help in doing so. Though there are the noble few who just write their whole paper by pulling poo poo directly from their rear end, and then just look for a list of books to toss into a bibliography. At least they have a little class and moxy.

Early on I did this and got accused of plagiarism because I didn't fake enough footnotes and they didn't believe that I just pulled it directly from my rear end. After that I just wrote papers that were 90% cited quotes and 10% conjunctions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stultus Maximus posted:

After that I just wrote papers that were 90% cited quotes and 10% conjunctions.

At least your teachers trained you for a successful D&D posting career.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The liberal arts section at my art college had this Procrustean devotion to the MLA format. Like, if we included a piece that we ourselves made in the paper we were writing, we had to cite it just like we would anything else. I have seldom felt sillier than I did when I was trying to work out how to cite a scan from my own sketchbook.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

StandardVC10 posted:

The liberal arts section at my art college had this Procrustean devotion to the MLA format. Like, if we included a piece that we ourselves made in the paper we were writing, we had to cite it just like we would anything else. I have seldom felt sillier than I did when I was trying to work out how to cite a scan from my own sketchbook.

Citing yourself is a fundamental pillar of academic writing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

in cases where I had to source what I knew/learned/figured out like that I used the MLA citation for quotes and listed the teacher's lecture on some random day. "What, I was quoting you, look, proper formatting!"

Though in one fun case it was demanded that I provide more citations for my paper on 3d printing, specifically that it would be hugely disruptive to conventional business. Apparently the straight line fact that if people can print things off themselves rather than buying them it will upend business models. So I ended up making it a citation to Das Kapital for a business school presentation

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Early on I did this and got accused of plagiarism because I didn't fake enough footnotes and they didn't believe that I just pulled it directly from my rear end. After that I just wrote papers that were 90% cited quotes and 10% conjunctions.

This happened to me once too, but the prof never came to me about it because he searched and couldn't find anything. He met my dad on a bike trail after the semester and talked about it with him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

Citing yourself is a fundamental pillar of academic writing.

It's also an amazing way to go from :smithicide: to :smug: and back to :smithicide: in like 15 minutes.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gyges posted:

Plagiarism is so rampant it isn't even funny, even in the sciences. During Power Point presentations it was really obvious, as groups would basically copy and paste excerpts from papers and textbooks. They would also have no clue how to do citations or cite things in papers. Part of the problem is that instruction of what constitutes plagiarism isn't always clear and the other is that people just aren't good writers. I've been offered cash to do people's projects for them, which I've turned down. This is in grad school too.

On the other hand, I'm neurotic about citing and re-wording things in order to avoid plagiarism. I even run papers through Google and anti-plagiarism sites just to make sure. I'm pretty much the exception though, since I love to write I view plagiarizing someone's work as stealing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gyges posted:

Every time the subject of plagiarism comes up, I'm reminded of what one of my computer science professors once said when giving us advice on our term papers:

What's the difference between plagiarism and research? Plagiarism is stealing from a single source. Research is stealing from multiple sources.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

y'all went to better schools then me, I once caught someone openly plagiarizing in the teacher's office, taking photos of completed projects and handing it in to the group project as her own work to the group, and when I told the professor I was the one who got in trouble

Of course we also had a business ethics lecturer come in who explained that Enron and George Ryan were ethically grey because they had a duty to shareholders/improve business in the state, so ~*~whatever~*~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm curious to see if there's a strong correlation between insisting that everyone must go to college versus plagiarism. See if there's a cause-and-effect of an entire generation being sold some bullshit versus people not being able to cut it in college on their own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's controversial that there were serious problems with the Nuremberg trials? The US prosecutor said the trials were bogus as did the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court! The prosecutor pointed out to Truman that the allies were guilty of everything Germany was accused of short of the holocaust (and Stalin was trying hard to fix that one) and Chief Justice Stone called it a lynching.

• Locked thread