Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wasn't someone in here complaining that they couldn't buy old Blipshift shirts? If I'm not completely delusional they're doing a 72 hour sale of their 24 most popular designs starting August 4th - http://blipshift.com/blogs/news/14910045-the-2014-running-of-the-bs24

bend posted:

Thanks man. I'll get plat at some point in the next couple of days and try and make a nice informative first post.
Would read that OP for sure, sounds like cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wasn't someone in here complaining that they couldn't buy old Blipshift shirts? If I'm not completely delusional they're doing a 72 hour sale of their 24 most popular designs starting August 4th - http://blipshift.com/blogs/news/14910045-the-2014-running-of-the-bs24

Hmm, time to start saving up, I need some new fun t-shirts that aren't sarcastic teen poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Look out, there's a Visual Studio badass on the loose.

e: i cant stop touching the poop, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 25, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
That's why I don't go to any Miata forums except to buy and sell poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Arguing with people on Miata.net is like punching yourself in the face why would you do that

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most model/brand specific forums are terrifying, firstly because everything becomes an echo chamber with large cliques spouting the same bullshit, and those cliques never follow the most intelligent, only the loudest.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is weird. I wanted to order an Optima battery through Amazon & it says Prime but it doesn't offer Prime shipping options.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Most model/brand specific forums are humanity as a whole is terrifying, firstly because everything becomes an echo chamber with large cliques spouting the same bullshit, and those cliques never follow the most intelligent, only the loudest.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Speaking of Miatas, my dad is babysitting one for some friend who needed driveway space while on vacation. I don't know poo poo about them, but it's a convertible and has a 5spd. Being an AI poster, I immediately tried to take it out and see what all the love is about - it wouldn't start, which is apparently because the owner has to disconnect the battery when parking it for awhile. I used the wrench sitting next to the battery to reconnect the terminal, at which point the apparently extremely lovely aftermarket alarm began blaring. After failing to deactivate the alarm or start it, I gave up in the interests of my neighbors.

I plan on figuring it out tomorrow. I did learn that I do not fit well in Miatas - jesus that little fucker is small.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did your neighbor even give you permission to drive it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xpost from today thread.

Finally decided to start poking around on the Avalon and see if I can figure out why it keeps throwing evap codes. "Very small leak" constantly, occasionally "small leak", even after a new OEM fuel cap.

Step 1: remove engine cover
Step 2: notice every single line related to evap that was covered by the engine cover is completely dry rotted and brittle, with 2 actually split open.
Step 3: Drop :10bux: on AutoZone on various sizes of fuel rated hose, plus some smaller vacuum line
Step 4:

There's still a boatload more lines that are getting dry, but only the ones cooking under the engine cover were actually split. I'm rather shocked how many vacuum lines it has for a modern-ish car (2003, 1MZ-FE w/VVTi), but it looks like nearly the entire evap system is under the hood (except for the canister), so I can just shotgun pretty much the rest of them fairly easily.

Still need to re-wrap that thick line that splits into 2 small ones at the TB, the original was wrapped in what almost looks like spiral wrap where it was near the runners. I was at least able to peel that off of the original hose.

Ozmiander posted:

146/92! Go blood!

Mine's still laughably high, but coming down as the withdrawal tapers off. Been trying to stay out of the Librium until I get really shaky.

Mom asked me if I was tweaking :stare: - "no... only had 50mg Librium today though... uh.. I think... *counts*" yup. Prescribed 100mg/day for the first 4 days :stare:

CharlesM posted:

This is weird. I wanted to order an Optima battery through Amazon & it says Prime but it doesn't offer Prime shipping options.

Because it's considered HazMat, despite being an AGM battery - HazMat has to ship via ground.

Even ORM-D stuff (is supposed to) gets some paperwork when carriers handle it by the case (spray paint, brake cleaner, etc).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
First ever track day in the A3 tomorrow (and first day ever) and I don't have my new summer tires yet so I'm running on "performance" winter tires. I am going to be a slow cloud of tire smoke. Oh god what am I doing I am not good with cars.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Did your neighbor even give you permission to drive it?

We live in the modern age of Open WiFi and wifeswapping on Craigslist; no need for crude verbal agreements. I went into his shed the other night with a prybar, and borrowed a chainsaw to do some basic maintenance on his gazebo - he built the stupid thing in a fit of weirdness and it blocks my view of the mountains. Everything was fine until I tore off the cupola with a Harbor Freight come-along around 1:30 AM, and he came outside screaming about police and property laws. I calmed him down with my Smith & Wesson 24" telescoping baton and a few judicious applications of Brakleen, at which point he agreed to let me drive the Miata. In the morning, I'm going to conquer the alarm system with some tinsnips and whip it up a jeep trail - to determine how much lift I need to put on my Cherokee, but mostly to show the bastard that possession is 9/10 of the law.

(The car belongs to my dad's longtime coworker, who just bought a Boxster and is giving the Miata to a needy relative. Dude said to drive it as much as my dad wants until he gets home :fyadride: )

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

trouser chili posted:

I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?

I don't know but it happened to me with the E34. German cars run so nice when they're in good shape that you develop full on Stockholm syndrome when they break, which is often.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subaru sponsoring Roadkill? :vince:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's awesome, because a subaru isn't something they'd ever normally touch, so it's not like they're going to suddenly start being easier on subaru because they're getting money from them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Because it's considered HazMat, despite being an AGM battery - HazMat has to ship via ground.

Even ORM-D stuff (is supposed to) gets some paperwork when carriers handle it by the case (spray paint, brake cleaner, etc).

Oh that's weird, my friend said he got it next day via Prime. I think I'll just get a Costco battery. Last time I asked they said they don't carry my size but I think he was wrong.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Well the new sluice works. Bit of a prick to get dialed in but I got half a dozen flakes out of a bucket from a local dry creek bed. I think I'm still running too much pressure and not enough depth, I might need to build a new spray box for it. Better clean up the shed first though, I just found chook eggs in one of the bloody cupboards.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CharlesM posted:

Oh that's weird, my friend said he got it next day via Prime. I think I'll just get a Costco battery. Last time I asked they said they don't carry my size but I think he was wrong.

Good, I was gonna warn you to stay away from Optima. Johnson Controls bought them and moved all manufacturing to Mexico and they really suck now. I'm on my 2nd one in my 122 (under warranty) because it just stopped holding a charge out of nowhere. The car has zero current draw when off (I mean come on, it doesn't even have a clock) so when the battery store guy told me I should use a battery tender because they're not meant to sit for a month I asked if they put tenders on them in their warehouse. If I get through the warranty period I will not replace with another Optima.

Any other name brand AGM battery will be decent, I picked up a spendy one for my convertible and so far it is living up to its hype. I can let it sit for 6-8 weeks in the winter and the car still cranks over and fires right up. It's an X2 power battery which is the Batteries Plus branding, it's made by Northstar in the USA with a 5 year non prorated warranty. Odyssey is the other brand I've heard fantastic things about, and I would have bought one of those except they didn't have one to fit my car the day I went in.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 25, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

Early '90s Audis have a distinct charm -- they are tanks that will ALWAYS have a "to-be-fixed" list, but they're so damned competent that you forgive them.

Powershift posted:

Most model/brand specific forums are terrifying, firstly because everything becomes an echo chamber with large cliques spouting the same bullshit, and those cliques never follow the most intelligent, only the loudest.

I avoid other car forums almost entirely, but I think it would be a great thread to share screenshot examples of the wanton stupidity in the model/brand specific forums.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

Good, I was gonna warn you to stay away from Optima. Johnson Controls bought them and moved all manufacturing to Mexico and they really suck now. I'm on my 2nd one in my 122 (under warranty) because it just stopped holding a charge out of nowhere. The car has zero current draw when off (I mean come on, it doesn't even have a clock) so when the battery store guy told me I should use a battery tender because they're not meant to sit for a month I asked if they put tenders on them in their warehouse. If I get through the warranty period I will not replace with another Optima.

Any other name brand AGM battery will be decent, I picked up a spendy one for my convertible and so far it is living up to its hype. I can let it sit for 6-8 weeks in the winter and the car still cranks over and fires right up. It's an X2 power battery which is the Batteries Plus branding, it's made by Northstar in the USA with a 5 year non prorated warranty. Odyssey is the other brand I've heard fantastic things about, and I would have bought one of those except they didn't have one to fit my car the day I went in.

Really all I wanted is the ability to bring it back to life if I do something dumb like leave the map light on for a week. Actually, one time I left it on for two months (I went out of the country). D'oh. I think I'll replace the light with one of those obnoxious blue LEDs so I'll never forget again.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yay... Telephone pole bucket truck work an hour away from my house in the boonies with no cell service.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I want to see an sti swapped gremlin!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

trouser chili posted:

There's something about older German V8's that is a lot of fun. I am having the same issue with the 928. It's big and stupid and I should have sold it a long time ago but it's also fun to drive and comfortable.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is going to be good

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Roadkill is saying that subaru said they could beat them with a big fat 2.5L legacy. THIS GONNA BE GOOD.

Also, while retrieving my speeding ticket from my car this morning, I locked my keys in the car.

FML.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
BaT is different this morning and I'm in no mood for things to change or be different today.

Also, the Audi V8 quattro took nearly 30 minutes of cranking to start today. I knew this would happen the moment I said I was starting to like it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Found a small hole in my soft top :negative:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

BaT is different this morning and I'm in no mood for things to change or be different today.

Oh what the gently caress is this. This layout blows.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

I avoid other car forums almost entirely, but I think it would be a great thread to share screenshot examples of the wanton stupidity in the model/brand specific forums.

Or just bad logic that gets repeated because someone once said it with an authoritative sounding post. Like how single shear is apparently always bad, or how contact patch supposedly has nothing to do with traction because weight times coefficient of friction equals force.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2014

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Found a small hole in my soft top :negative:

Try a tent repair kit from BassPro/Dick Sporting?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

piss boner posted:

Try a tent repair kit from BassPro/Dick Sporting?

..or duct tape. It comes in designer camo print now.

I'm finally watching "The Wire" - drat, this is (was) actually a show worth watching.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

I'm finally watching "The Wire" - drat, this is (was) actually a show worth watching.

It's probably the best TV crime drama ever made.

Also, Omar is awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can anyone tell me about rockauto's European parts? I can get (essentially) the same Moog ball joints and tie rod ends from the UK for half the price including shipping which only takes a few more days. Are the UK Moog parts shittier quality or something? It's for a Miata, I'm assuming Miatas in the UK aren't any different, I don't see why they would be.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
As far as I know everything except the steering rack and associated dashboard bits should be identical. From lurking in the megathread everything for Miatas seems to be cheaper over here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Can anyone tell me about rockauto's European parts? I can get (essentially) the same Moog ball joints and tie rod ends from the UK for half the price including shipping which only takes a few more days. Are the UK Moog parts shittier quality or something? It's for a Miata, I'm assuming Miatas in the UK aren't any different, I don't see why they would be.

Don't you need new upper control arms for the ball joint? Also the Miata tie rod ends are fairly cheap even if you go through Rosenthal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Over here meaning you're in the UK? Yeah I don't see why rod ends or ball joints would be any different, they look exactly the same in the pics except the UK ends are silver instead of black. Why are they so much cheaper across the pond, I don't get it. It's $45 for shipping but it still comes out to almost half the price of the US parts.

Tie rod ends UK $14.42, US $41.79

Ball joints UK $19.07, US $46.79

:psyduck:

[edit] Phone, I'm not replacing the uppers, just the lowers.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Yes I meant I'm in the UK. Ask me about my pristine <$300 hardtop with defrost. :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo. Do people not like Miatas over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, AFAIK Moog over here is the same Federal-Mogul sub-brand as in the US. No idea why there would be a noticeable pricing discrepancy, but I founf the same thing with performance brake pads for my Subaru.

Are you sure they're exactly the same part numbers?

• Locked thread