Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dreylad posted:

Now gen z, or whatever. You're starting to see articles about how they'll change the world now that we Millennials have failed. Good news everyone, pressure's off we no longer are humanity's future.

The oldest millennials, using the definition given earlier, were born in 1983 and are therefore 31. Not even old enough to be President yet. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Revelation Space is loving amazing.

Oi, I got your Steam message but my roommate hasn't let me use his computer to answer. My monitor should be here tomorrow or Saturday, thank God.

Arthmoor can eat a dick and hopefully the people he 'takedowned' are telling him so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Blindeye posted:

I thought Rendezvous with Rama wasn't bad.

Just make sure to absolutely never read any of the sequels.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Baby Boomers are people born during a certain period of time. The Millennials are their children, born during a certain time in their lives. Gen X are the people born in between.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just make sure to absolutely never read any of the sequels.

I thought the computer game was pretty rad.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I just saw Gravity and I watched Sunshine last night so D&D posters recommend me good space exploration novels where everything we do out there is fraught with peril and we're not zipping around with artificial gravity or warp drive. I trust yall more than book barn, don't let me down.

Stephen Baxter's Manifold trilogy. Confidence is high.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

razorrozar posted:

The oldest millennials, using the definition given earlier, were born in 1983 and are therefore 31. Not even old enough to be President yet. :psyduck:

Well yeah we're not old enough to earn poo poo like Nobel Prizes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well yeah we're not old enough to earn poo poo like Nobel Prizes.

So wait, I'm of the last year of Generation X? DAaamn.

(Voted in 2000. For Ralph Nader. Florida absentee ballot)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

razorrozar posted:

Arthmoor can eat a dick and hopefully the people he 'takedowned' are telling him so.

What did he do now?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Technogeek posted:

What did he do now?

Tried to c&d some mod authors, according to Agents Are Go.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

razorrozar posted:

Tried to c&d some mod authors, according to Agents Are Go.

Was this a recent thing or just a reference to Gategate?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Something new, I think. Agents knows the story more than me, but he's AWOL :arghfist:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So wait, I'm of the last year of Generation X? DAaamn.

(Voted in 2000. For Ralph Nader. Florida absentee ballot)

How does it feel to be personally responsible for the crimes of the Bush Administration?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

How does it feel to be personally responsible for the crimes of the Bush Administration?

:feelsgood:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Now gen z, or whatever. You're starting to see articles about how they'll change the world now that we Millennials have failed. Good news everyone, pressure's off we no longer are humanity's future.

thank gently caress. now i dont have to worry how History Will Judge my lifestyle of just smoking weed all the time.

its cool, everyone. just another place-holder generation. nothing to see here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know the details but I think the Nixon administration did some good things for Tribal Sovereignty. That probably has some long lasting effects.
ANCSA is kinda a wash like DADT in that it was the best of a bunch of bad options. He did wind down Indian termination, which I think is what you're talking about, an undeniable Good Thing

Also I think Jerry means Indian as in south Asian because natives are hella dem, actually

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These are some fairly basic scfi reqs yall.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

We don't work for you!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Read Ursula LeGuin

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Read Ursula LeGuin

Oh? Is that a new one never heard of that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tbh I don't like reading old scifi because it gets dated real fast.

Speaking of scifi why the gently caress didn't we go ahead with our nuking the moon plan

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 25, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Tbh I don't like reading old scifi because it gets dated real fast.

The zeerust is half the appeal for me. It's fascinating to see what people in the past thought about the future.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

razorrozar posted:

The zeerust is half the appeal for me. It's fascinating to see what people in the past thought about the future.

No one saw the internet coming. Vernor Vinge who was like in the vanguard of computer tech in his prime in thr early '90's thought we'd be using usenet 5000 years from now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my favorite badly aging scifi thing is still the Wiggin siblings taking over the world by blogging real hard

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

No one saw the internet coming. Vernor Vinge who was like in the vanguard of computer tech in his prime in thr early '90's thought we'd be using usenet 5000 years from now.

I read a novel in the 90's that had a dystopian future where they created weather by building huge asphalt domes and one of the main characters made his fortune selling stuff through a computer system. Most of the U.S. was a wasteland. It wasn't very good but it pegged the Amazon/internet sales model pretty well. Have no clue what the name of it was.

edit: I can't even say it was the 90's because this was even before the AOL craze so that's as close as I can get to the timing of when I read it. Desktops had barely advanced beyond the Radio Shack box that you could play pong on.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 25, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

You mentioned a Boyle flick, so I'll pimp The Signal. Don't read the summaries or synopses or reviews, just hit play and sit back. It actually feels a lot like a Boyle flick. Definitely not the greatest movie you've ever seen, and it telegraphs some of its twists, but it's fresh enough and weird enough to keep you interested until the end.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

zoux posted:

Maybe I'll just reread Blindsight.

If you're willing to wait, the sequel to Blindsight is coming out in a month or so.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm a fan of Stranger in a Strange Land. It's really interesting to see a classic American Sci-fi author write the precursor to harem anime. For the record, I am not an anime fan, I blame goons for teaching me those words.

Bradbury's still a better short story writer.

But Zoux, the Foundation series is a really good space exploration scifi series. I've only read the Trilogy though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paranoid randroid posted:

my favorite badly aging scifi thing is still the Wiggin siblings taking over the world by blogging real hard

And then Peter Wiggin blogs so hard he gets elected President of Earth, but then he's a dick so everybody votes for Achilles instead (after he manipulated India into trying to take over Southeast Asia as a ploy to weaken them for an invasion by China), but then Bean shows up and is like "no really Achilles is a dick" and shoots him, so Peter gets to go back to being President of Everything.

And that'a after (or maybe at the same time) the Muslim battle school kid secretly becomes Caliph of the Middle East and marries the Indian battle school girl to achieve world peace. God, those books are dumb.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Chantilly Say posted:

And then Peter Wiggin blogs so hard he gets elected President of Earth, but then he's a dick so everybody votes for Achilles instead (after he manipulated India into trying to take over Southeast Asia as a ploy to weaken them for an invasion by China), but then Bean shows up and is like "no really Achilles is a dick" and shoots him, so Peter gets to go back to being President of Everything.

And that'a after (or maybe at the same time) the Muslim battle school kid secretly becomes Caliph of the Middle East and marries the Indian battle school girl to achieve world peace. God, those books are dumb.

I thought the very first, Ender's Game, was a good read and a cool look into a weirdo child's mind who saw everything as intense social politics :shobon:

I also liked the characterization of the manipulative generals. Just a fun read overall IMO.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I would like to point out that when I lived in North Carolina I waited on Orson Scott Card more than once and he ate more bread dipped in olive oil than I thought was possible and is a lovely tipper, thanks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Joementum posted:

2001 and Solaris would also fit the bill, but those are two books where the movie version* is so much better than the book that they aren't even really worth reading.

* the Tarkovsky version, not Soderbergh

I was going to come in and recommend some Lem, only to find this :( Joe, I thought you were cool!

Seriously though, Solaris isn't one of Lem's best; it's perhaps the story that deals most heavily with man's inability to cope with his own feelings and emotions, let alone communicate them to alien intelligences. His other works that focus on other aspects of the impossibility of contact with alien species deal more with practical concerns in communication and the extent of alien-ness of non-human beings. The Invincible is more or less a straight-played adventure/mystery novel, His Master's Voice is... Well, a lot of things, I enjoy the brief discussions on philosophy but there's also a bit of a thriller plot-line as well. Eden is a fairly straight-up adventure story, and also a fairly blatant criticism of totalitarian governments. Fiasco might best fit the bill for what Zoux was asking along with Invincible.

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?

razorrozar posted:

I was born in 1981 and I fit the Millienial model perfectly - broke, aimless, and a drain on my parents' financial resources. Most of my friends are burnt out and disillusioned just as badly, and we aren't even Americans. Therefore I humbly petition for the inclusion of everyone born in 81 and 82 under the Millienial umbrella. Thanks for your consideration.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Was watching King of the Hill tonight from the beginning and modern GOP stances are verbatim Dale Gribble

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Wasn't Dale supposed to be a guy you could seriously believe would blow up an IRS building early on and not just a wacky crazy guy?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
http://youtu.be/gw_6b3nXabA

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
yeah, Indian as in South Asian

sometimes when I see poo poo like this I just :sigh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's som'n t'thank about, mooyashi.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Maybe I'll just reread Blindsight.

You could read Echopraxia if you had the ARC like me. (Spoiler: it's good.)

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'm hype as gently caress about it. Still gonna reread it before the new one comes out, even though they are only loosely connected?

• Locked thread