Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

SedanChair posted:

e: dammit I knew she was some bullshit form of trans. Sorry to say, women just are not this big of shitstains.

Yeah, real women aren't so terrible as to be espousing Ayn Rand ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

The future according to Justine Tunney:

:awesomelon:: Do other cultures scare you shitless? In our perfect future, they won't!

:awesomelon:: In our perfect future you can easily relocate wherever your corporate master needs you. our new room will look the same as your old room, so you won't miss anything. What do you mean about neighborhood? Friends? Is that some weird word for coworkers?

:awesomelon:: Ah, those people. See, you can always talk to them through Google Hangouts. See, problem solved!

Lol loving Justine Tunney is literally advocating for the future from Snow Crash. I know someone mentioned how she clearly missed the point a few pages ago, but *wow* is she unironically advocating for a satirical novel.

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

SedanChair posted:

e: dammit I knew she was some bullshit form of trans. Sorry to say, women just are not this big of shitstains.

Yeah Real Women wouldn't be espousing objectivist/thatcherite biz, good thinking, with your good brain, that is totally not that of a loving clown.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rand and Thatcher weren't even people though?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

SedanChair posted:

Justine Tunney is a weird idiot because she's a weird idiot, and being trans has nothing to do with it. Please don't let the GBS sewer transphobia into D&D.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's not the way I meant it. Everything she does is being a weird idiot, and being trans because you're "doing life on hard mode" is bullshit. She's a nut and that's a part of her being a nut. She writes like your bog-standard white supremacist MRA having an episode.

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

SedanChair posted:

That's not the way I meant it. Everything she does is being a weird idiot, and being trans because you're "doing life on hard mode" is bullshit. She's a nut and that's a part of her being a nut. She writes like your bog-standard white supremacist MRA having an episode.

The words you are saying are those of an idiot, who does not know a loving thing you are talking about.

The backpedaling is cool and also stupid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

POTUShead posted:

The words you are saying are those of an idiot, who does not know a loving thing you are talking about.

The backpedaling is cool and also stupid.

Alright, good talk.

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

"She writes like a misogynist and a bigot, makes sense that she'd be trans"

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Alright, good talk.

Oh dang sorry hon is the discourse losing the lofty legitimacy and intellectual high-mindedness of "of course she's trans"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If you transition because you want to "do life on hard mode" is that real? Or are you a narcissist having an episode?

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

SedanChair posted:

If you transition because you want to "do life on hard mode" is that real? Or are you a narcissist having an episode?

If you drop the mic and then it somehow bounces up into your hand because you want armchair psychologist to smear transwomen as more inclined to being shitstains, are your shoes big and floppy?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
People who grew up being socialized to have a dick are way more likely to be shitstains. What happens after that is kind of irrelevant.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SedanChair posted:

I'm a transwoman and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take what you said if it wasn't meant as blatant transphobia. What with calling trans "bullshit" and saying that only men like her (because she's not a woman) can be this lovely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

People who grew up being socialized to have a dick are way more likely to be shitstains. What happens after that is kind of irrelevant.

Please describe your vision of socialization. :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I'm a transwoman and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take what you said if it wasn't meant as blatant transphobia. What with calling trans "bullshit" and saying that only men like her (because she's not a woman) can be this lovely.

It seems like bullshit to decide to transition because you want to "do life on hard mode." Hence, a form of trans identity (normally valid) which is not valid and done for reasons of narcissism and mental illness.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Please describe your vision of socialization. :allears:

Growin' up being taught how to be a man. It tends to turn you into a shithead often enough; see exhibit a, me, and exhibit b, you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Enough about your fanfic about an internet person, how about you try digging upwards and stop trying to link her shittyness to gender identity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

It seems like bullshit to decide to transition because you want to "do life on hard mode." Hence, a form of trans identity (normally valid) which is not valid and done for reasons of narcissism and mental illness.

Growin' up being taught how to be a man. It tends to turn you into a shithead often enough; see exhibit a, me, and exhibit b, you.

You're making the unfounded assumption they actually did that.

That isn't a thing, hope this helps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All right, my apologies.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

thanks sedan chair for taking discussion of whether awful human being Justine Turney is awful because she wants to bring slavery back to a trans conversation

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

All right, my apologies.

That's what I've learned to say after saying something racist/offensive, which is pretty often.

One of my Justine faves:

"Give poor people @soylent so they can be healthy and productive. If you're on food stamps, maybe you're unhealthy and need to eat better." - Justine Tunney

https://twitter.com/JustineTunney/statuses/466271404963270656

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Dean, 2000 posted:

While research is vastly inadequate, transgender persons experience mental health difficulties that are not much different from anyone who experiences major life changes, relationship difficulties, chronic medical disorders, or significant discrimination on the basis of a minority background. The expression of mental health issues is likely to include stresses that result from gender-related issues (Israel & Tarver, 1997). Mental health problems include adjustment disorders, depression, and anxiety disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorders.

Some studies have established incidence of severe personality disorders, psychosis, and mental illness among transgender persons above the norm. The methodologies — particularly the lack of controlled comparisons — are questionable. These studies also tend to underestimate the impact of societal stressors such as sexual assault, violence, abandonment by family and other support persons, substance abuse, loss of opportunities, and legal harassment. Much more rigorous research is required to determine the actual incidence of mental health disorders in these populations.

Israel and Tarver (1997) suggest that transgender persons frequently avoid treatment for depression because it is widely believed that in order for treatment to be effective, both gender identity and depression issues must be addressed at the same time. The concern is that the gender issues will be assumed to play a causal role and will be judged negatively. Because of these and other factors, hormone-associated depression may be underdiagnosed.

Garofalo, 2010 posted:

Objectives. We examined associations of race/ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation with mental disorders among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youths.

Methods. We assessed mental disorders by administering a structured diagnostic interview to a community sample of 246 LGBT youths aged 16 to 20 years. Participants also completed the Brief Symptom Inventory 18 (BSI 18).

Results. One third of participants met criteria for any mental disorder, 17% for conduct disorder, 15% for major depression, and 9% for posttraumatic stress disorder. Anorexia and bulimia were rare. Lifetime suicide attempts were frequent (31%) but less so in the prior 12 months (7%). Few racial/ethnic and gender differences were statistically significant. Bisexually identified youths had lower prevalences of every diagnosis. The BSI 18 had high negative predictive power (90%) and low positive predictive power (25%) for major depression.

Conclusions. LGBT youths had higher prevalences of mental disorder diagnoses than youths in national samples, but were similar to representative samples of urban, racial/ethnic minority youths. Suicide behaviors were similar to those among representative youth samples in the same geographic area. Questionnaires measuring psychological distress may overestimate depression prevalence among this population.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Still lmaoing

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

Holy poo poo, SedanChair was Janice Raymond the whole time! What a twist!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SedanChair posted:

I got to shake John Hodgman's hand while he was in costume as Ayn Rand. Defining moment of my life.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
These didsts and thous are nice and all but if she was really smart she'd tweet in Old English. Not bullshit Olde English but the actual language of her ancestor Alfred the Great.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Well, not Charlemagne, but I am descended from his mother's favorite nephew, Berthalot, on my grandmother's side. (I know this because his grandson came over with William the Bastard, and then his descendants stayed in a town of 85 people for literally six hundred something years.)

On my father's side, I've got Stuart blood (Our William who came over was either the grandson of James II's daughter or the son of James II's granddaughter, I keep forgetting which way it goes), but the descent from this old high king who kidnapped a guy who later became a saint is a bit more entertaining to me.

It's entertaining to one-up some chinese people with - 'I have a hat that's older than your dynasty' is a phrase I've used once or twice. (And a pitchfork older than the Magna Carta)

It's even more fun to run into a distant cousin - I found out that someone I work with is a relative that separated from the family before we came to America. Both families have the same story about the time the Vikings tried to raid our castle back in 895 or so, with minor variations.

William Wallace was one of our neighbors after a famously bad incident involving Edward the Bruce and the English persuaded us to rapidly leave Ireland. (Dal Riata family - we go back and forth a lot. Generally after starting, and then losing a fight of some kind.)

Note: We did not lose the land to the Vikings, the castle wasn't finished so we lit it on fire with them inside. Lost everything we had, mind you.

Edit: I know all this because it was my grandfather's hobby for half his life, and then computer genealogical databases made it all trivial. But some of the stories are _fantastic._ Everyone should check out their ancestry, just to see if you can find the stupid stuff your family's gotten up to over the centuries.

So your family was the reason my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-yougettheidea-grandfather got burned to death! The way I've heard it told, though, it was you guys ambushing our trading expedition! I demand weregild for my ancestor, you fucker! And for the dried cod!

Seriously, though, looking through your family line and history is hilariously weird reading and everyone really should take the time to at least try to go back a bit. You'll find some thoroughly hilarious poo poo. Such as your great-grandfather losing a fortune during the Russian revolution. Or your great-great-great-grandfather marrying a turkish girl and settling in Constantinople*. :v:

*Most likely, anyway. That's where what little we've managed to piece together end.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 25, 2014

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SedanChair posted:

A true truth.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Lowtax, Justine Tunney wants to know why you didn't bend you revery mental effort to preventing the decline of the Something Awful Forums, once a respectable nexus and combinator of internet culture. I, for one, think she deserves an Answer.

We were never that cool and Justine is, once again, rewriting history to suit her own foibles.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Could google's competitors use her in their ads? "Hey, our product is pretty cool and also our employees don't want to bring back slavery!" Although tech industry wouldn't exist without cheap third world labor assembling those computers and phones and rare metals mined in Africa by literal slaves at gunpoint, so it's all complicit in modern slavery anyway.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
@rabite is chiming in now to defend her, I'm shocked and utterly amazed he called me a Jew and told me to kill myself! Never heard that one in the 15 years I've been running this site. Groundbreaking trollwerk there.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Lowtax posted:

@rabite is chiming in now to defend her, I'm shocked and utterly amazed he called me a Jew and told me to kill myself! Never heard that one in the 15 years I've been running this site. Groundbreaking trollwerk there.

I wonder if we can get Amergin to show them what real trolling is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm shocked Weev is an Anti-Semite. Shocked.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Justine Tunney is a weird idiot because she's a weird idiot, and being trans has nothing to do with it. Please don't let the GBS sewer transphobia into D&D.

Actually, I'd prefer it not be in gbs either

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

thanks sedan chair for taking discussion of whether awful human being Justine Turney is awful because she wants to bring slavery back to a trans conversation

He's making the point in pretty much the dumbest way you possibly could, but anecdotally I see way more of this type of bullshit in the trans community (at least the wealthy white woman parts of it) than I do from cis women. Every time a trans woman of color gets killed in circumstances possibly connected to sex work, I get to listen to a bunch of white trans women in high-paying tech jobs (or some other male-dominated field they got into before they transitioned) go "well its her own fault for hooking instead of learning to code and working at Google like me"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cis people are bigots like this, and trans people people are bigots like this

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Cis people are bigots like this, and trans people people are bigots like this

I liked it better when we thought she was a terrible libtard, because her gender identity has nothing to do with advocating raw feudalism.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm shocked Weev is an Anti-Semite. Shocked.
I'm shocked he still thinks I can be shocked by watching him do the exact same thing he's been doing his entire life.

WOW, WEEV THINKS I'M A JEW? AND HE HATES JEWS??? I'M INSULTED AND ENRAGED!!!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
weev-selfportrait-prophet.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?

Wanamingo posted:

Again, just so we're all on the same page.

This is the future of food for the One-Way Ticket to Mars Explorers Club.

• Locked thread