Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How was Brian K Vaughan's Batman? I've swooped all of the graphic novels, everything by Grant Morrison, and everything by Snyder. Anything else at least somewhat modern that I should be considering as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

I was really excited a few minutes ago because I finally loaded an issue of Captain Marvel but none of the word bubbles loaded in so welp.

I had this problem with an issue of The Sentry a while back (it actually took me a while to figure it out, at first I thought it was just a "silent" issue), closing the browser and reloading everything fixed it.

I'd also like to second the recommendation for Box Office Poison, one of the best books I've ever read. The companion collection of one-offs BOP! More Box Office Poison didn't quite match up, so I'd advise against trying to save a few bucks and "test driving" with that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got a chuckle out of this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uthor posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting on a rumor of comiXology offering a DRM-free option to publishers. gently caress yes, if true.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/22/comixology-to-change-everything-by-offering-drm-free-options-to-comics-publishers/
They just sent an email saying exactly that, so yes it is true. You can get DRM-backups of your comics, though it's opt-in for publishers.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Comixology announced that customers can now download DRM-free back-ups of the comics you buy: http://gizmodo.com/you-can-finally-...dium=socialflow

Edit: beaten

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This is pretty awesome news, I might get some of that stuff from the Top Shelf sale now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. All my Image and indie purchases are in my download page. It's neat!
All of the collected version say "coming soon", though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, poo poo. I keep buying Image comics directly from them for the DRM-free files and now the comiXology versions are DRM-free in addition to the normal slick comiXology interface and cloud storage. That shows me!

Seriously, though, that's cool. Glad they are doing it.

Here are six free Marvel "Infinite" comics:
https://comicstore.marvel.com/Free-Infinite-comics/page/2743

(not to be confused with the "Infinity" event)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there any good way to browse Marvel's site to find comics to read with a subscription? It seems like you have to be very specific for the character/run/event you want to find and go from there. The app is better designed, but not much better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Awesome. The Comixology downloads are HD versions. The Comixology app wouldn't let me get those normally on my old Nexus 7.

Here's a page and a full-rez panel from it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 25, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did comixology take the Black Mirror collection off of sale? I only see it on full price.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

Did comixology take the Black Mirror collection off of sale? I only see it on full price.

All the collections where for a day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

All the collections where for a day.

poo poo, I thought that it started today, not yesterday. Chris Sims lied to me :(

Could I still get individual issues of it at least?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

poo poo, I thought that it started today, not yesterday. Chris Sims lied to me :(

Could I still get individual issues of it at least?

Yes, Detective Comics 871-881.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So I took advantage of that Marvel Unlimited option. I've never been a serious comics reader, but I go through phases where I'll read more well-known/talked about trade paperbacks and a few issues of whatever's out at the closest bookstore (I'm that rear end in a top hat). I'd love for some suggestions of really good quality runs that are available through Marvel. Bigger names are fine, but I'd love to get to read some good stories about lesser known characters (was bummed there wasn't any Danny Rand Iron Fist available). Got any suggestions?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

kaujot posted:

So I took advantage of that Marvel Unlimited option. I've never been a serious comics reader, but I go through phases where I'll read more well-known/talked about trade paperbacks and a few issues of whatever's out at the closest bookstore (I'm that rear end in a top hat). I'd love for some suggestions of really good quality runs that are available through Marvel. Bigger names are fine, but I'd love to get to read some good stories about lesser known characters (was bummed there wasn't any Danny Rand Iron Fist available). Got any suggestions?

Immortal Iron Fist is totally on there.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Yeah, I'm having hella problems with Unlimited. I assume it's because of all the people jumping on the 99 cent deal. :negative:

Pro tip. Buy a $.99 gift subscription and redeem it next month when the servers aren't swamped.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Karma Tornado posted:

Immortal Iron Fist is totally on there.

Hm, no clue why it wasn't showing up earlier but now it is. Thanks for the heads up!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's better for backups, PDF or CBZ? I can display both on my iPad.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Personally, I can't usually see a visual difference between the two. PDFs are generally larger in size, but the ones I downloaded from comiXology are roughly equal. PDFs are a little more universal, but CBZs are literally just ZIP files of JPG images. I find CBZs to be easier on my tablet, but I have an Android tablet and Android devices struggle with PDFs (in my limited experience).

I tend to use with CBZ files because they are easier on my tablet and CDisplayEX creates preview images in Windows File Explorer (PDFs do not show previews on Windows) for quicker browsing, but I save both just in case.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

What in the hell, Dark Horse (Android) app.

Groo vs Conan #1 is out. It is featured among the banners in the digital store, but does not appear among the listed new issues or in any search of 'Groo' or 'Sergio Aragones.'

However, I can find the comic on Dark Horse's website and log in and order there, then sync the app to retrieve the comic.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on Campbell's Bacchus? I was waiting for Top Shelf to release their promised omnibus but since that's probably never happening the current sale seems like a decent deal.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Huh. For some reason my Marvel Unlimited library just disappeared today. This might really suck, since I had a ton of stuff on there Based on recommendations from this forum.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Huh. For some reason my Marvel Unlimited library just disappeared today. This might really suck, since I had a ton of stuff on there Based on recommendations from this forum.

I noticed this yesterday. I'm also having trouble getting any comics to stay in my "read offline" section too. Downloaded four yesterday and they're all gone now. Tried to add a new one now and it just immediately disappears. Disappointing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

$0.45 comic of the day is Love and Rockets New Stories #1, which is, well, a terrible place for a new reader to begin.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of comixology backups, Saga volumes (and I imagine other trades) are now available for download.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just had a weird experience with the Comixology app this evening. I changed my password the other day, so when I was accessing it yesterday it wanted me to login again. I did so, but with my email address instead of my username. I downloaded my few Marvel books for this week (which I'd redeemed codes for from the physical copies). This morning, I went to read them on my commute and noticed that everything in my library was showing as unread. I tried opening a random book and it said that I wasn't authorized. When I got home tonight, I noticed that I'd logged in with my email address instead of username, so I logged out and back in again (with my username this time). My library went back to normal but then I couldn't open the books I'd downloaded yesterday. I had to delete them and re-download them. Not a major thing, just really weird behaviour.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Queen-Country-Vol-1-Operation-Broken-Ground/digital-comic/62302

Greg Rucka's Queen and Country Vol. 1 is 45 cents today with promo code ONI.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Annihilation-Sale/page/2828
Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest and...
https://www.comixology.com/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Collections-Sale/page/2852
Guardians collections on sale.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A new Batman sale theme around his sidekick Robin. Includes Batman & Robin and Batman Inc, which were missing from last week sale.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

poo poo! I forgot to get Going Sane!

Also Archer & Armstrong sale, too

edit: spoke too soon, lots of Batman comics still on sale, looks like

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 29, 2014

SMP
May 5, 2009

Any chance they'll put up trades a day later again?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rirse posted:

A new Batman sale theme around his sidekick Robin. Includes Batman & Robin and Batman Inc, which were missing from last week sale.

The only bat thing written by Morrison that has not been on sale the last two weeks is the return of Bruce Wayne and final crisis

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Great that they're putting more Morrison Batman stuff on sale. I saw it this morning and I was all like "EKIRTS SREIDLOS NEVES!". I even got a second set of these for a friend who moved halfway around the globe and who I already got the Batman & Son, RIP and Final Crisis trades. Forgot to get him the Time and the Batman issues last week though.

As an aside on the Annihilation bundle, it's kind of silly that they forgot the 4 Drax issues as an introduction to Annihilation, they're in the paper trades but not the digital ones and aren't considered part of the Annihilation story arc.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Would the Transformers humble bundle be appropriate for a 7 year old in terms of violent content?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume tonight the sale is going to be Bendis's guardian series or the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning bundle along with the War and Realm crossovers. Nova may or may not be included.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Would the Transformers humble bundle be appropriate for a 7 year old in terms of violent content?
Ehhhhh not really. The classic ones were pretty violent and the current ones aren't really much better. I'd almost say they can be worse than superhero comics at times since writers aren't afraid to have robot get beheaded or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume tonight the sale is going to be Bendis's guardian series or the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning bundle along with the War and Realm crossovers. Nova may or may not be included.

You mean tommorrow night? They don't do Thursday sales.

Also I wish Nova's Annihilation Conquest trade was on sale. :(

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Endless Mike posted:

Ehhhhh not really. The classic ones were pretty violent and the current ones aren't really much better. I'd almost say they can be worse than superhero comics at times since writers aren't afraid to have robot get beheaded or whatever.
Ok thanks. His favorite is Dynamo 5, I wish there were a lot more issues of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

My vote is on that Guardians bundle. Maybe War, Realm or the Thanos Imperative. I'd like to pick War of Kings as it's the only one I'm missing digitally.