Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

maou shoujo posted:

Diablos can kill enemies if he's at level 100, as then his gravity attack does damage equal to 100% of the target's HP. :eng101: If you give Diablos time to plan, he becomes instant death!

Capped at 9999 :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Terper posted:

Batman

As designed by Nomura himself.

This needs to be Monk gear in FF14 right loving now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Batman

As designed by Nomura himself.

Looks a bit like Terra.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Why does he have the Jecht symbol?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Madmarker posted:

You don't?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Unfortunately my physique more resembles Rufus from Street FIghter than any Final Fantasy character, so I'll leave the idiotic animu tattoo to the slightly less plumb, but infinitely more tacky.

Now if I was built like Jecht, you best believe that would be the first tattoo on my list.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You could be like that spindly geek who got Kazuma Kiryu's tattoo from Yakuza on his back. It was very well-done, but looked about as bad as you would imagine anyway.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm seeing those big round shoulder balls as Samus' Varia suit. Bat-Samus.

Sad 2 Da Bone
Feb 13, 2012

Madmarker posted:

And why does he not have a shirt?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spoony Bard posted:

And why does he not have a shirt?

Shirtlessness is a critical aspect of any Jecht or Jecht-like cosplay.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Eight pack abs are also a necessity.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
So I spent a few bucks on component cables for my PS2, and despite FF12 not supporting 480p, it still looks drat fine on my smaller LCD TV, and I've spent nearly 15 hours the last 3 days playing it.

Really hope this gets an HD paint job, it really is a pretty game, and a refreshing change of pace.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

This needs to be Monk gear in FF14 right loving now.

I'll settle for it being a boss in the next Castrum-type instance.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'll settle for it being a boss in the next Castrum-type instance.

I just want it to be a summon in Final Fantasy XIII-86: Novum Crystallus Pretentius Collosus Invigoratus Ave Imperatus Est

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dubious posted:

So I spent a few bucks on component cables for my PS2, and despite FF12 not supporting 480p, it still looks drat fine on my smaller LCD TV, and I've spent nearly 15 hours the last 3 days playing it.

Really hope this gets an HD paint job, it really is a pretty game, and a refreshing change of pace.

I also hope we get the IZJS version in HD. You can approximate it with PCSX2's upscaling. The textures are stored at high resolutions but the PS2 can't display them I guess. It looks gorgeous with that treatment.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

I also hope we get the IZJS version in HD. You can approximate it with PCSX2's upscaling. The textures are stored at high resolutions but the PS2 can't display them I guess. It looks gorgeous with that treatment.

Aside from Vaan's painted-on abs. :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

Aside from Vaan's painted-on abs. :v:

They do look conspicuously painted on when you up-res the game. I try to use Vaan as little as possible so I don't have to be reminded.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Levantine posted:

They do look conspicuously painted on when you up-res the game. I try to use Vaan as little as possible so I don't have to be reminded.

Think of all that wasted potential man! Statwise Vaan is far and away the best character in the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Volt Catfish posted:

Think of all that wasted potential man! Statwise Vaan is far and away the best character in the game.

Yes, but he's neither the Leading Man, nor is he Captain Basch von Ronsenberg. And Ashe makes the best Samurai. I'm set!

EDIT: I always make parties out of who I think looks cool or sounds cool rather than chasing stats. Luckily FFXII really lets you do that if you want.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 25, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

EDIT: I always make parties out of who I think looks cool or sounds cool rather than chasing stats. Luckily FFXII really lets you do that if you want.

That's true. I got Order of Ambrosia in the original with Basch/Balthier/Fran, which is not a powerhouse combo. :v:

I mean, everyone did 9999/6999 to Yiazmat with the Masamune or Yagyu Darkblade, so I'm gonna use who I like.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Some interesting news on Luminous Studios' development (or lack there of):

quote:

LUMINOUS ENGINE TECHNICAL DIRECTOR YOSHIHISA HASHIMOTO LEAVES SQUARE ENIX

The technical director for the eye popping Luminous Engine has left Square Enix to pursue other goals with another company, no further details have been given aside that he has already left the company. This news comes from a friend of Hashimoto’s, that made a post on his facebook wall. The Luminous Engine was supposedly the newest graphic engine developed by Square Enix and fans had a first glance at E3 2012 when Square Enix revealed Agni’s Philosophy, a tech demo running with the engine.

http://www.enixorigin.com/luminous-engine-technical-director-yoshihisa-hashimoto-leaves-square-enix/

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140725_659537.html (Japanese Press Release)

To put it into context, Yoshihisa Hashimoto (not to be confused with Shinji 'Please be Excited' Hashimoto) worked for Sega on the Sonic Team for a decade. He oversaw the development of the Hedgehog Engine as the technical lead. He was a part of the development team behind several Sonic games which were released across of variety of platforms. Furthermore, he served as game director for Sonic Unleashed. All in all, a very talented and productive programmer/project manager if his Linkedin resume is anything to go by.

Hashimoto then left work with Square-Enix and spearhead Luminous Studios as Technical Director. He also worked on FFXIV: ARR as one of the tech leads. According to Naoki Yoshida, he was instrumental in optimizing FFXIV's new game engine and getting it running on the PS3.

Under Square-Enix, he left after five years without shipping a single game on the engine he worked on. The engine itself still requires more development time. People come and go in game development but this would the second major departure from Luminous Studios after former Worldwide Technology Director Julien Merceron, who left SE to work for Kojima Productions.

According to the press release, several vacant positions opened after Hashimoto's departure. General Manager of R&D Division has gone to Remi Driancourt who has held the position since January of this year. Hideyuki Kasuga, who shadowed under Hashimoto, will serve as FFXIV's technical director. Hashimoto will still serve as a technical adviser for the company but only for FFXIV. However, the CTO position will not be fulfilled at this time.

The fact that such an important position is not filled suggests that Hashimoto's departure was not planned the company has not been able to find a suitable replacement. Game engine development is an ongoing process so it's unusual for a software engineer to drop out unless the development was very troubled, especially if no game was ever shipped on it. Hashimoto would be next in line for SE leads who left after their projects got stuck in development hell, flopped, or both.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Welp, time to wait for another five years for FFXV (haha, just kidding, they'll probably still try to get it out by 2015/16 and it'll be terrible, I've stopped hoping that FFXV will be a good game).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gologle posted:

Welp, time to wait for another five years for FFXV (haha, just kidding, they'll probably still try to get it out by 2015/16 and it'll be terrible, I've stopped hoping that FFXV will be a good game).

Final Fantasy hasn't been anything approaching "good" without caveats since the single digits, and even then I'm not sure it's not just nostalgia that makes me think so.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^^^ Eh, FF10 has fewer detractors than some of the single-digit entries and no notable caveats.

What games were planned for Luminous? Just XV?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

^^^ Eh, FF10 has fewer detractors than some of the single-digit entries and no notable caveats.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is on Luminous Studios. FFvsXIII/FFXV initially used a heavily modified version of Crystal Tools and Luminous's lighting system (evidence suggests that it was licensed middleware) and is seemingly in the process of being ported over to the new engine. Furthermore, Hashimoto considered the new engine behind FFXIV: ARR to be a distant cousin of Luminous Studios.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bloodychill posted:

I don't know, Tidus as a character gets brought up a lot. "This game is good but gently caress Tidus" is probably the most common criticism. Though I agree overall its criticized less these days.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah that's fair.

Sunning posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 is on Luminous Studios. FFvsXIII/FFXV initially used a heavily modified version of Crystal Tools and Luminous's lighting system (evidence suggests that it was licensed middleware) and is seemingly in the process of being ported over to the new engine. Furthermore, Hashimoto considered the new engine behind FFXIV: ARR to be a distant cousin of Luminous Studios.

No wonder the guy quit. He was basically in one of the most high-pressure positions in the company, basically managing the tech behind all their biggest franchises and having to fix broken poo poo coming from predecessors. This is probably a case of some serious burn-out.

edit: sp

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

I don't know, Tidus as a character gets brought up a lot. "This game is good but gently caress Tidus" is probably the most common criticism. Though I agree overall its criticized less these days.

Do we need to spoiler a million-year-old game?

Everything about Tidus was designed to make him look foolish, petty, and childish so that when he finally grew up, his first big-boy decision was self-sacrifice. and that was pretty believable.

But even then, he never seemed to give half the poo poo about Yuna that she gave about him, and even his big selfless act at the end was all about him. They didn't do a good enough job separating him from his daddy issues, so the ending came off like, if killing Jecht was going to DESTROY Spira instead of saving it, he would probably still be doing it. That kind of sucked.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Levantine posted:

Final Fantasy hasn't been anything approaching "good" without caveats since the single digits, and even then I'm not sure it's not just nostalgia that makes me think so.

I, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, and X are all legit good games with very few caveats. The rest are less so but still range from solid to meh. VII EU, XII, the XIII's, and XIV 1.0 really left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths and I think the company is still struggling to climb out of that hole.

Levantine posted:

After playing X HD, there are a lot fewer cutscenes where Tidus does something terrible than I remember from the PS2 days. This time around I found Wakka to be the most derpy character. Once Tidus figures out what's going on, he's actually a decent character.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Why was FFVII EU thought of negatively?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baram posted:

Remember those iconic scenes in FF7 where Cloud recalls his true role in Nibelheim and confronts Sephiroth and kills him by throwing him into the lifestream?
Turns out Gackt was there. And he was really red and liked bad poetry an incredible amount.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's a cross between lovely fanfiction which missed half the original characterization (Cloud and Aeris/th are the main offenders here) and Gackt self-inserts.

Although the parts of Crisis Core that focused on Zack (as opposed to Zack's reaction to notGackt et al) were pretty solid.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vil posted:

It's a cross between lovely fanfiction which missed half the original characterization (Cloud and Aeris/th are the main offenders here) and Gackt self-inserts.

Although the parts of Crisis Core that focused on Zack (as opposed to Zack's reaction to notGackt et al) were pretty solid.

Crisis Core's ending justifies its existence to me, and no amount of Gackt can destroy that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I loved Crisis Core. I'm a sucker for a game where the hero is upbeat and is just so drat happy to be the hero. Probably why I rate FF9 so highly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
God, Crisis Core's ending was so sad. You knew it was coming, but it was still horrible. WHy did I level up to level 99 and beat the goddess of the planet if not to repel the army that Shinra sent at me and change history?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing Gackt can do is improve things and improve things he did to Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
My favorite part of Crisis Core was how when Sephiroth showed up and it turns out before he went crazy the dude was pretty chill and thought VII Seifer was a doofus for getting his gimmick from a fantasy Marlowe play.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baram posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEMfyb7kio

And because Hojo survived the on-screen death he fell to in FFVII because he uploaded himself to the internet.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEMfyb7kio

And because Hojo survived the on-screen death he fell to in FFVII because he uploaded himself to the internet.

I'd have said that was one of the positives. loving Paul Eiding hamming the gently caress up :allears:

The worst part of DofC's plot, is Vincent (a 60+ year old man in a body taht looks 25) falling in love with a 19 year old girl (with the body of a 9 year old girl), who is acting as a replacement for his psychotic, manipulative ex-girlfriend, because she uploaded her personality to the internet, and the 19 year old has a magic connection to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

That loving Sned posted:

Looks a bit like Terra.

Huh, apparently the "Batman" (which wasn't even really designed to be Batman?) was from an early scrapped project pre-dating the conception of Kingdom Hearts, and the "Batman" actually inspired the designs in KH instead of vice-versa.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/25/nomuras-batman-design-drawn-from-canceled-project/?ncid=rss_truncated