Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Looking much better already. The arms can still use a bit of beefing up, as they're pretty consistently the same thickness from the shoulder all the way down to the wrist. Those calves are looking nice!

That's a great book, and one I was going to recommend. I also recommend this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV It's concentrated more on drawing the form, but the foundations are the same regardless of the medium (be it pixel, or pencil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely start doing that!

Another edit; I mainly focused on legs this time: Broadened them, made the calves more prominent and basically tried to make them look more like legs. I also broadened shoulders, changed feet and made arms less thin.

I'm currently using this book for help with proportions, since i found it easy to understand:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Figure-Human-Proportions-Christopher-Hart/dp/1936096730

The right lower leg should be shifted to the right slightly and the foot flattened. Right now, it looks like the character is pressing forwards with both of their legs, like someone standing on their tip-toes.

Something that's really helpful for me when posing is to actually adopt the pose I'm trying to take. Do it first without a mirror, and then with. When adopting the pose, just think about where your weight is resting (that is, whether you're putting more weight on your front leg, back leg, or distributing it evenly).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Shoehead posted:

I reworked an old logo today

I'm digging it, but for some reason I felt compelled to add some half-assed perspective to it...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

McKilligan posted:

I'm digging it, but for some reason I felt compelled to add some half-assed perspective to it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Vermain posted:

The right lower leg should be shifted to the right slightly and the foot flattened. Right now, it looks like the character is pressing forwards with both of their legs, like someone standing on their tip-toes.

Something that's really helpful for me when posing is to actually adopt the pose I'm trying to take. Do it first without a mirror, and then with. When adopting the pose, just think about where your weight is resting (that is, whether you're putting more weight on your front leg, back leg, or distributing it evenly).

Thanks for the advice! I don't have access to any large mirrors that could show my entire body, only small ones unfortunately, but I will see if i can still use them.

Also, is this any better:

Modified legs, arms, chest, feet and waist. Arms are still bugging me.

Edit:

Here's a better edit, also included two different poses that i felt were appropiate:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Travis343 posted:

I redid a lot of the environments from my last post, making sure they're all using the same level of slant for the perspective and going for a consistent top down perspective for anything not touching the wall.

I'm kind of iffy about the teacher's desk since the long part of it that's slanted isn't touching the wall, but I think it's close enough to the wall that such a long object would look really distracting if it was purely top-down. I'm probably going to re-do the couch and the TV in the living room because now that I look at it they're pretty out of place with the stricter perspective.

Also how about the wood panels on the living room floor? Is the perspective effect jarring with the furniture or should I leave it in?

Hey what is this for? If it's for a game and you're going to be reusing these as tiles, they need to be in some kind of forced perspective that looks reasonably OK but much more importantly can be placed in any scene. This is what the Mother / Earthbound games do, look at how those tile sets are put together. If these are stand-alone pieces or pre-baked backgrounds for a game, they need to be drawn without any notable perspective fuckups and not resized in that way that makes some of the black lines 2 px and others 1 px. You don't need realistic shadows and perspective for a sprite game, but having noticeably wrong shadows and inconsistently realistic perspective is bad news

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely start doing that!

Another edit; I mainly focused on legs this time: Broadened them, made the calves more prominent and basically tried to make them look more like legs. I also broadened shoulders, changed feet and made arms less thin.

I'm currently using this book for help with proportions, since i found it easy to understand:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Figure-Human-Proportions-Christopher-Hart/dp/1936096730

I think the size of your figure precludes nipples. Proportionally these would be about 4 inches across irl

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

swamp waste posted:

Hey what is this for? If it's for a game and you're going to be reusing these as tiles, they need to be in some kind of forced perspective that looks reasonably OK but much more importantly can be placed in any scene. This is what the Mother / Earthbound games do, look at how those tile sets are put together. If these are stand-alone pieces or pre-baked backgrounds for a game, they need to be drawn without any notable perspective fuckups and not resized in that way that makes some of the black lines 2 px and others 1 px. You don't need realistic shadows and perspective for a sprite game, but having noticeably wrong shadows and inconsistently realistic perspective is bad news

It's pre-baked backgrounds for an RPG maker project. I don't anticipate re-using these backgrounds or elements from them as the game is mostly set in the wilderness/fantasy setting and these more domestic areas are going to be a very small part of the game. The lines don't do that in the actual files, I resized them and took snapshots with windows snipping tool.

I just redid all these specifically trying to keep a consistent perspective - it's not 'right' but it's internally consistent - making sure all the walls have the same slant and everything else should be just straight top-down. Looking at it again I do need to fix the stairs in the living room as well as the couch and TV. What else specifically looks inconsistent to you?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Burqa King posted:

I think the size of your figure precludes nipples. Proportionally these would be about 4 inches across irl

Taken them out! Thanks for letting me know.

Another smallish update:

Main changes are to the arms and torso. Tried to buff up the arms and tried adding collar bone and muscle outlines in the upper torso.

Is the torso any better by the way? I can draw a front-on torso (first one above) but when i try to twist it to match the perspective of the second and third poses it ends up coming across as bad (to me at least).

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Travis343 posted:

It's pre-baked backgrounds for an RPG maker project. I don't anticipate re-using these backgrounds or elements from them as the game is mostly set in the wilderness/fantasy setting and these more domestic areas are going to be a very small part of the game. The lines don't do that in the actual files, I resized them and took snapshots with windows snipping tool.

I just redid all these specifically trying to keep a consistent perspective - it's not 'right' but it's internally consistent - making sure all the walls have the same slant and everything else should be just straight top-down. Looking at it again I do need to fix the stairs in the living room as well as the couch and TV. What else specifically looks inconsistent to you?

OK cool. That sounds like a good way to handle the perspective. The only other problem I see is that the shadows look weird, especially in the kitchen and around the living room door and stairs. Also you got some scribbles still visible in the classroom carpet but maybe they're supposed to be?

I like the mundane settings a lot. Video games are so saturated with fantastical and over-the-top scenes that walking into a mildly dirty kitchen or whatever has actually become more surprising and more emotionally resonant than walking into some epic stuff

technolizard
May 19, 2013
Hi thread! Wandered my way in here yesterday, just caught up. I'll post some of my own stuff when I actually have time to work on it more.

Chipp, haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but if you actually take that high of a step while leaning back slightly and holding a sword behind your head, you'll topple straight backwards. If anything, your figure needs to be leaning forward, to counterbalance the weight of the giant chunk of metal swinging above / behind his or her head.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I actually like the high step. Unless you're fully committed to realism, I'd keep it. Or I guess you could keep the step and try not bringing the sword as far back.

The little knee bend at the end doesn't really add anything, though. I'd lose that. You'd especially want the sprite to return to idle quicker in a playable game, so you wouldn't be left waiting for animations to end after initiating attacks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

swamp waste posted:

OK cool. That sounds like a good way to handle the perspective. The only other problem I see is that the shadows look weird, especially in the kitchen and around the living room door and stairs. Also you got some scribbles still visible in the classroom carpet but maybe they're supposed to be?

I like the mundane settings a lot. Video games are so saturated with fantastical and over-the-top scenes that walking into a mildly dirty kitchen or whatever has actually become more surprising and more emotionally resonant than walking into some epic stuff

The classroom is supposed to be sort of a scuffed or dirty tile floor, not carpet. The little scribbles, I just sort of felt like they looked right. It's the kind of thing I would have done drawing a scene at a full scale, but maybe it doesn't work in pixels.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zackarotto posted:

I actually like the high step. Unless you're fully committed to realism, I'd keep it. Or I guess you could keep the step and try not bringing the sword as far back.

The little knee bend at the end doesn't really add anything, though. I'd lose that. You'd especially want the sprite to return to idle quicker in a playable game, so you wouldn't be left waiting for animations to end after initiating attacks.

I think that's supposed to be part of the idle animation, and it's just included for demonstration.

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.

Messing around with Tiled. I'm thinking I should make proper reversed sprites instead of just flipping the tiles.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You could add some flaming torches to explain the light sources, but be warned: your character may be at risk of suffocation without proper ventilation

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

technolizard posted:

Hi thread! Wandered my way in here yesterday, just caught up. I'll post some of my own stuff when I actually have time to work on it more.

Chipp, haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but if you actually take that high of a step while leaning back slightly and holding a sword behind your head, you'll topple straight backwards. If anything, your figure needs to be leaning forward, to counterbalance the weight of the giant chunk of metal swinging above / behind his or her head.

Thanks for the advice! Kind of motivated me to go back to animating for the time being. Here's an edit along with two new animations; bow and shield defending. I'll confess the shield one is pretty bad at the moment. For the bow, i tried planting the feet like archers usually do, but it looks like he's shuffling rather than doing that...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Looks so much better without that weird squat no one ever seemed to mention. I really like the arm movements for the bow.

SCF
Nov 8, 2000

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice! Kind of motivated me to go back to animating for the time being. Here's an edit along with two new animations; bow and shield defending. I'll confess the shield one is pretty bad at the moment. For the bow, i tried planting the feet like archers usually do, but it looks like he's shuffling rather than doing that...

Hey, I don't know if it's an accident because you put a couple different animations in one .gif, but the timing looks weird to me. The longer frames don't really match the action.

Also, I think the swing might look more impactful if you take out the middle frame:

Oh, and for everyone's amusement, here's a walking cycle I found that I made 15 years ago. It's pretty slick.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SCF posted:

Oh, and for everyone's amusement, here's a walking cycle I found that I made 15 years ago. It's pretty slick.

This reminds me a lot of this gem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

SCF posted:

Also, I think the swing might look more impactful if you take out the middle frame:

BOOM. That looks perfect.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SCF posted:

Hey, I don't know if it's an accident because you put a couple different animations in one .gif, but the timing looks weird to me. The longer frames don't really match the action.

Yeah, putting the animations in one gif had unintended consequences. I'll definitely take your advice, since i agree it looks more impactful.

Also: Safety dance

Edit, here's the result (with both 1-handed and 2-handed weapons):

I was thinking; if the blur goes by so quickly, is there is even a need for it?

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 25, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SCF posted:

Man this really make me wish I still had all the stuff I made when I was 14/15. Too bad there wasn't usb storage back then.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I was thinking; if the blur goes by so quickly, is there is even a need for it?

As I understand, If you go too fast with your movement then people can't reliably tell what's going on, or you'll have to make tons of frames for every individual action instead of just using a squash/stretch thing. That blur is a means of telling the person "it goes so fast that you can't see" without... having them not see it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Forer posted:

As I understand, If you go too fast with your movement then people can't reliably tell what's going on, or you'll have to make tons of frames for every individual action instead of just using a squash/stretch thing. That blur is a means of telling the person "it goes so fast that you can't see" without... having them not see it

Sure! I kept them. Added two new animations A build up to casting a spell as a mage/priest and a pretty bad (Still very wip) horse running/movement animation:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Sure! I kept them. Added two new animations A build up to casting a spell as a mage/priest and a pretty bad (Still very wip) horse running/movement animation:

This might help with your horse's movement.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

The humans are looking grand. Feet during archery are a bit weird. Either have him move a bit forwards so he's pivoting on his back leg to get into position, or have him move the feet in order somehow. Right now it looks like he's 'sliding' into the position. Try and imitate it yourself, and you'll see what sort of movement you have to do in order to move the feet into position.

Do me a favour and experiment a bit with the slash trail. Have it start as a tiny one just before the big frame, and then dissipate after the slash rather than appear and reappear instantly.

Still, looks grand, except for the horse, which was to be expected. The front legs look like a good run loop for a guy, to be honest. :v:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

This might help with your horse's movement.

That's what i actually used as my reference, along with :ohdear:

Red Mike posted:

The humans are looking grand. Feet during archery are a bit weird. Either have him move a bit forwards so he's pivoting on his back leg to get into position, or have him move the feet in order somehow. Right now it looks like he's 'sliding' into the position. Try and imitate it yourself, and you'll see what sort of movement you have to do in order to move the feet into position.

Do me a favour and experiment a bit with the slash trail. Have it start as a tiny one just before the big frame, and then dissipate after the slash rather than appear and reappear instantly.

Still, looks grand, except for the horse, which was to be expected. The front legs look like a good run loop for a guy, to be honest. :v:

Sure! Will give this a go in my edit i am working on (mainly the horse atm!)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Remember, a horse doesn't just move its legs, it runs with its entire flanks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Red Mike posted:

It's a world where they ran out of real horses, so all horses are two squires in a horse suit.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just a very quick and sloppy edit to see if i am going in the right direction in terms of movement (focusing purely on legs this time for the horse):

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I don't know what to say about this because there is a heat wave and my brain is fried.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Shoehead posted:

I don't know what to say about this because there is a heat wave and my brain is fried.

Looks like a great base for a humphead or sheep's head wrasse for cybershark to beat up.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Chipp Zanuff posted:

That's what i actually used as my reference, along with

Not to be "that guy", but I do feel I should point out that the GIF is of the horse galloping while the image series is the horse trotting. They're quite different, so I hope you're looking at one or the other and not both, because they won't match up.

I actually finished some stuff! And promptly went out of town, so I can't post it right now (sorry).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This one looks more like it's doing a fancy dressage trot rather than a gait that you'd use for anything real.

If this is an attack animation, look at how they kick with their rear legs. If it's for the rider to be attacking from, I imagine the horse would be pretty collected under the rider, maybe doing a little rear, but not a full on hooves waving in the air thing. (because that would expose its belly to attacks, risk the rider falling off and bring the rider out of striking range.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Your big issue, again, is that the horse is just moving its legs, when there needs to be motion of the entire segment of the body above the leg. In my opinion, anyway.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Saturday is for screenshots!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Your big issue, again, is that the horse is just moving its legs, when there needs to be motion of the entire segment of the body above the leg. In my opinion, anyway.

I tried doing so in this edit:

Is it any better, or still bad?

Note: It's only four frames at the moment.

Further edit:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 26, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
the chaos engine: That looks fantastic! I love the palette! The numbers in the top right look a little odd- are the irregular spacing and different-sized zeroes intentional or is this a mockup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Internet Janitor posted:

the chaos engine: That looks fantastic! I love the palette! The numbers in the top right look a little odd- are the irregular spacing and different-sized zeroes intentional or is this a mockup?

nah it's in game but I keep loving with the size of the numbers so I resize them in code which leads to less than ideal results. All the assets are coded in now so now I can start tweaking that stuff better. I'm gonna be at GDC Europe and I really wanted to have a build ready to show off while I'm there, some stuff is a lil rushed at the mo.