Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I know that it's probably taboo to speak of it but waht the gently caress was the deal with the final beam battle in Dragon Ball Evolution? I know they were trying to put a spin on how Goku killed King Piccolo but how did the kamehameha send Goku flying forwards when it should have been pushing him backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Testekill posted:

I know that it's probably taboo to speak of it but waht the gently caress was the deal with the final beam battle in Dragon Ball Evolution? I know they were trying to put a spin on how Goku killed King Piccolo but how did the kamehameha send Goku flying forwards when it should have been pushing him backwards?

Airbending, that's how! :pseudo:

god that movie was pure garbage

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I watched Evolution fully knowing it would be bad, but I hoped it would at least be hilariously bad. Instead it's just a boring mess. I don't even remember the scene Testekill was talking about or much of anything at all, it just left no impression in my mind.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I watched Evolution fully knowing it would be bad, but I hoped it would at least be hilariously bad. Instead it's just a boring mess. I don't even remember the scene Testekill was talking about or much of anything at all, it just left no impression in my mind.

I only watched it last night with the Team Fourstar riff-track. Makes it a bit more bearable but so much of everything was almost insultingly stupid.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Evolution very much feels like a finished screenplay that only got Dragonball drafted onto it very late in the process. Mostly the entire high school arc, which just, really, really doesn't work, even within the Evolution. Or the beamspam battle, with really had nothing to do Dragonball. An actual good old fashioned beam battle would actually been a pretty great way to finish the movie, you know, a la Cell and Gohan.

That said, there are still a lot of dumb nerd complaint about the movie, like people complaining that Bulma's hair wasn't entirely green.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That was absolutely glorious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Didn't the Kamehamaeha revive someone?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Didn't the Kamehamaeha revive someone?

Yup. Used it like a defib unit and somehow didn't blow his lungs everywhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Goku's just that good, I love him.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku is amazing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

love that goku

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Vegeta's constant uproarious laughter leading up to going into the lake was by far the funniest part of the new Kai Abridged.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dende's flirty "hey"s are what really makes me chuckle. The voice actor just pulls it off so well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AshB posted:

"It looks like the dragon brought every person on Namek to earth!"

"ALL OF THEM!?"

Perfection.

Is this a reference I'm not getting? It feels like a reference I'm not getting.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Is this a reference I'm not getting? It feels like a reference I'm not getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGShZSEsRs

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
"I am a Super Sandwich!"
*Punches Freeza*
"Agh, prick!"
*Destroys planet*

A perfect summary of about an episode and a half.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I love how bewildered Piccolo is right then. "You missed my vital organs!" "All of them?! You have a loving hole in your chest!"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

God I kept laughing at it even though I couldn't remember the reference and now that I do it is killing me.

The Vegeta laughing jazz bit is still the best though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had assumed that Piccolo was just surprised that "all of them" is just like fifty people

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I maybe thought it was because everyone on Namek also included Freiza and he was running rampant on Earth instead.

I am glad TFS don't ask for my input.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiritus Nox posted:

I love how bewildered Piccolo is right then. "You missed my vital organs!" "All of them?! You have a loving hole in your chest!"

Goku being blasted through the chest and surviving because the attack "missed his vital organs" (all of them!) almost sounds like one of Oda's explanations for how stuff in One Piece works (e.g. Zoro can talk with a sword in his mouth because he "speaks from the heart", Sanji isn't hurt by that one attack he has that sets his leg on fire because "his heart is burning hotter" etc).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Why do you think he managed a double kill during the Raditz fight? He didn't spend EVERY minute of that 5 years just training, you know. Gotta read up on human anatomy so he doesn't miss next time. He's just lucky Saiyans are built pretty much the same way as humans.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

WhiffleballDude posted:

Why do you think he managed a double kill during the Raditz fight? He didn't spend EVERY minute of that 5 years just training, you know. Gotta read up on human anatomy so he doesn't miss next time. He's just lucky Saiyans are built pretty much the same way as humans.

Got them right in the glubark

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
And here I thought the "All of them?!" line was because he's part Nail and they brought Guru along.

Still owns though. Speaking of Super Ultra Alpha Omega Hyper World Warrior Bigger Longer And Uncut Kami Guru, I'm curious to see what's going to happen in DBM with the new Gast story.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Does anyone know the name of the song used when Vegeta is just laughing manically during the new abridged Kai? I really like that one, and I know it's been used in a lot of different things before.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The 'all of them' line is just a reference to a goofy piece of dialogue in the Piccolo fight at the end of Dragon Ball. That's it. There is no underlying joke. I actually didn't understand what he was saying until someone in the thread disclosed what he said, then I heard it. It is kind of jarring to see late Dragon Ball drawing style spliced in with the Freeza saga though

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Rewatching some fights from GT (I know, I regret it), I can't get over how loving disappointing Uub is. What an enormous waste. He accomplishes almost nothing through the whole thing, even after becoming Majuub.

It does support my theory that Majin Buu only really had a power advantage as Super Buu and Kid Buu, though. In his other forms, while powerful, he could be outfought by an SS2. He was just so drat durable that he could outlast pretty much anyone. Since Uub/Majuub can't regenerate, he's basically an SS2 and that's it.

Best Majuub moment in GT: Getting stuck with Videl and Pan carrying some non-combatants away during the last-ditch "the universe is riding on this" battle with Omega Shenron.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

The 'all of them' line is just a reference to a goofy piece of dialogue in the Piccolo fight at the end of Dragon Ball. That's it. There is no underlying joke. I actually didn't understand what he was saying until someone in the thread disclosed what he said, then I heard it. It is kind of jarring to see late Dragon Ball drawing style spliced in with the Freeza saga though

Technically it is from early on, being from volume 16 of the manga, which is 42 volumes long. Not sure how far along it was animated or such though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Technically it is from early on, being from volume 16 of the manga, which is 42 volumes long. Not sure how far along it was animated or such though.

That 42 volumes includes DBZ. DB is volumes 1-16, DBZ is 17 onward. That Piccolo fight happened in the last volume of the "Dragonball" portion of the manga's run.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

surf rock posted:

Rewatching some fights from GT (I know, I regret it), I can't get over how loving disappointing Uub is. What an enormous waste. He accomplishes almost nothing through the whole thing, even after becoming Majuub.

It does support my theory that Majin Buu only really had a power advantage as Super Buu and Kid Buu, though. In his other forms, while powerful, he could be outfought by an SS2. He was just so drat durable that he could outlast pretty much anyone. Since Uub/Majuub can't regenerate, he's basically an SS2 and that's it.

Best Majuub moment in GT: Getting stuck with Videl and Pan carrying some non-combatants away during the last-ditch "the universe is riding on this" battle with Omega Shenron.

goku time. Goku Time. GOKU TIME. GOKU TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Hobo Siege posted:

goku time. Goku Time. GOKU TIME. GOKU TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now stop.

Goku time :goku: :hammer:

MastG
May 25, 2014
Whatever happened to Monster Carrot (or whatever his name was)? The moon was blown up after he was left on it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

surf rock posted:

Majin Buu is as powerful as Super Buu as they're the same guy. He just never gets pissed off enough to power up to that level because his inherent niceness (due to absorbing the kaioshin) holds him back. Whenever he starts releasing steam, which is him getting pissed off, he powers up enough to easily overcome SSJ2s. Otherwise, he just sits there and takes everything. When Satan got shot, he powered up so much that his "bad" side took over, and he stayed that way, only slightly held back.

Kid Buu is the weakest one (outside of Mr Buu, which is just the fat kaioshin spit out of Buu, really). He has none of his fusions, but isn't held back at all, and will just blow things up. He's somewhere between a SSJ2 and a SSJ3 in power.

Goku "thinks he can probably beat" Majin Buu because Majin Buu just sat there like an idiot taking everything he did and never showed or released his actual power while Goku was awake. Goku thinks he could have beat Kid Buu because that one was relatively weak, while Goku made a mistake in not knowing how to handle SSJ3 in a living body.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Which is why its extra dumb Goku saved Mr.Satan instead of Gohan, who would have handled Kid Buu easily when he woke up.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

What I liked the most is how Supreme Kai said that he couldn't teleport Dende to where Goku is because he's spent all of his energy already and Dende just gave up instead of using his healing technique on Kai to replenish it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PiedPiper posted:

What I liked the most is how Supreme Kai said that he couldn't teleport Dende to where Goku is because he's spent all of his energy already and Dende just gave up instead of using his healing technique on Kai to replenish it.

Dende's healing ability doesn't replenish ki. He is literally a White Mage, and White Mages can't heal MP.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

AlternateNu posted:

Dende's healing ability doesn't replenish ki. He is literally a White Mage, and White Mages can't heal MP.

Haha that's a good point. Dende does heal Gohan after Super Boo beat the crap out of him but Buu mentions he's not as strong as when he first arrived after being healed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wonder if Vegeta knew that when he decided to abuse the Sayian power rule.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Shindragon posted:

I wonder if Vegeta knew that when he decided to abuse the Sayian power rule.

I wonder why they didn't abuse it more. Blast in the guy, senzu bean, blast in the gut, senzu bean, blast in the gut, senzu bean etc.

Repeat until Goku can bench press God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I wonder why they didn't abuse it more. Blast in the guy, senzu bean, blast in the gut, senzu bean, blast in the gut, senzu bean etc.

Repeat until Goku can bench press God.

Only reason I can think of is diminishing returns.

• Locked thread