Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's really neat. Does it show layering stuff as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
The last few night's gaming sessions were spent on my latest Masterwork fort, 6 hours or so. I had everything going well in my second year. I had plenty of food, 3.5 squads worth of mostly raw recruits, a perimeter wall and an Iron industry.

Then Smaug's brother the red dragon stopped by and hosed MY poo poo UP. rip gloomydicks or whatever the fort was called

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I had a similar experience but instead of Deathsmaug it was a dwarf becoming a Warlock in my booze stockpile/food processing level. Over twenty dwarves were trapped in the flames trying to get to my emergency burrows. I thought I had sorted that bullshit by pasturing a Ward of Armok in my meeting hall too. Goodbye Mirroredletters, may you continue to trap and train dozens and dozens of pet snakes in the hereafter.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is there some kind of raw fuckery for adding new reactions? Adding new metals/stone etc. works just fine but for the life of me I can't get any custom reactions to show up. I'm trying to add some new alloyed metals to the smelter but nothing has worked yet. Even copy pasting existing reactions and fiddling with the bits doesn't do anything.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The civilization only can do those reactions which the raws specifically say the entity knows.

Entity data is only applied during worldgen.

e: You can modify existing reactions in a running save, though. Sacrifice some useless poo poo like nickel silver alloying for testing.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

scamtank posted:

The civilization only can do those reactions which the raws specifically say the entity knows.

Entity data is only applied during worldgen.

e: You can modify existing reactions in a running save, though. Sacrifice some useless poo poo like nickel silver alloying for testing.

Goddamn this was it, thank you. Didn't realize individual civs had to be flagged for each reaction individually.

You are a gem :allears:

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Elth posted:

I just had the bug/feature where underground trees will suddenly grow and annihilate anything in it's path. A blood thorn grew in the small staging area I dug out right beneath ground level and now there's a giant hole in the ceiling.

Had some FUN last night with a tree that punched a hole through my moat flooding my dang fort.

Is there a way to clearcut an area such that trees stop growing there?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

tgijsola posted:

Had some FUN last night with a tree that punched a hole through my moat flooding my dang fort.

Is there a way to clearcut an area such that trees stop growing there?

You can make a paved road I believe. Toady did say in an update that internally he has fixed trees not respecting floors. So expect it to be fixed in .40.05

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Jesus Christ I hate nerds. Some guy in the DFhack thread got it to work with the latest version. He's not going to upload it though because if you don't know how to make DFhack yourself then you don't deserve to use it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

It's less that and "I don't want you people clawing at my ankles for help I can't provide when this rickety untested house of cards implodes on itself", I think.

That said, I suppose I could give it a shot and let you know if it works.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Paving roads can be pretty fun but do caravans or migrant waves respect them at all? I recall making some totally sweet roads through a beautiful canyon one time, only to have the caravan spawn randomly elsewhere and totally ignore my work. :pout:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

reading posted:

Paving roads can be pretty fun but do caravans or migrant waves respect them at all? I recall making some totally sweet roads through a beautiful canyon one time, only to have the caravan spawn randomly elsewhere and totally ignore my work. :pout:

Caravans will ignore it unless something about the map forces them to use it if it's the only valid 3-wide path. That basically won't happen naturally except on extremely heavily forested maps.

Migrants give no fucks. :dealwithit:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Roads are basically just a.) very brick-efficient flooring for areas where you don't need to build furniture, such as earthen corridors, courtyards or archery ranges and b.) designated TREES WILL NEVER GROW HERE TO BLOCK poo poo zones outside to guarantee wagon passage.

You can restrict your own idiots to use roads with traffic designations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

In older versions roads were used (and in fact, NECESSARY to build before caravans would show up). I still like doing it as a side project but only after the fort is safe from threats already. My current fort is actually built along one of the world-generated roads, which is made out of sand for some reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roads also, I believe, help curtail the spread of surface contaminants, I generally pave around my wells so as to stop dorfs just washing all their encrusted filth onto my dining room floor.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Once I have the time to spare for complete wastes of time in my forts, I like to build a road to the edge of the map and line it in 2x2 constructed pillars with 2 spaces between each, so that the human and dwarven caravans have to show up on the road and follow it all the way to the trade post.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I'm down to 35 FPS in my current fort, this release really doesn't perform well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Jesus Christ I hate nerds. Some guy in the DFhack thread got it to work with the latest version. He's not going to upload it though because if you don't know how to make DFhack yourself then you don't deserve to use it.

Really? Quel dick.

I can build dfhack, I'll upload something for you tonight.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I lost an embark in like five mins to a swarm of zombie wildlife and evil dryads which was cool but I tried out adventure mode to go and chop up the reanimated pioneers and put them to rest (I dunno if they'd be there I don't play adventure)

It was on a remote haunted shore in a frozen corner of the earth and various heroes and mercenaries took up the quest, the next five minutes were as followed;

A warrior nun chased a mysterious naked wax man through a cyclone of poo thrown by hordes of monkeys, hacking the poor outcast to goo in one swing moments before her face was eaten by something called Xen Infectors, elsewhere

a feral dwarf mashing keys in confusion in a forest somewhere is suddenly eaten by a water dragon, while

a frogman demigod blinks into existence, instantly killed by the entire ocean freezing around him, as

a wolfman barbarian is zoned out running in a straight line across a glacier and runs into an elephant seal in such a way that his arm and leg are shorn off, continuing his crablike gallop brainlessly down a water dragons throat, moments before

a farmer kicks a naga to death in a field.

I don't have the patience to do, well, anything successfully in this. Would my zombified dwarves even be there?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I retired a 15-population fort for a little bit so I could unretire my Bronze Colossus to go squish more puny mortals. Spawned in an elf tree, punched a few of them off, jumped down, fractured a leg (which healed, somehow), punched some dwarves, fled from bogeymen (they couldn't hurt me, and I couldn't hit them), and retired on the outskirts of an elven retreat.

I start up Legends Mode and take a look at the retired fort. I see that a few dwarves and two humans settled in while I was rampaging. I unretire the fort and hey, there's a human pikeman and a human crossbowman chilling in the woods around the fort, listed as "Friendly". They're just standing in their little spot, unmoving. Also, those other dwarves that settled in? Can't find them. The fort is still sitting at 15 dwarves and they're not listed anywhere in the unit list.

Another weird quirk: I dug a staircase going all the way to the magma sea, so I could eventually build my first magma pump stack and bring magma near the surface. However, after unretiring, a good chunk of the staircase was unrevealed, like the dwarves forgot it existed. I'm gonna do some testing, because I can see some pretty neat stuff happening in succession forts, like sealed deathtraps and vaults.

One thing I noticed was that retiring and unretiring a fort cut my FPS by about half. Pretty annoying.

After that, I got a human adventurer to trek across the world to see if I could retire him in the fort to have more human forest buddies, but he got pecked to death by zombie ravens after jumping over a river where his companions couldn't help him. And he was almost at the fort too.

edit: Oh yes, after that I decided to gently caress around in Arena mode for a bit. While platinum minecarts are heavy as poo poo, you can still throw them like 20 tiles. Then I tried to jump into it to see if it would roll, but instead I completely smashed my leg on it. Like, "unrecognizable mass" smashed. Also, turning the weather to "dragonfire" makes all the water on the map boil in an instant, sets the grass and trees on fire (some trees turned into dead trees, and the goblin-cap I spawned vanished), and makes Bronze Colossi slowly melt then violently explode, sending blobs of molten bronze all over the place.

Elth fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 24, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dramatic unexplained FPS drops are often caused by hidden creatures trying over and over to path somewhere they can't reach. Once DFHack is up and going you might consider hack-revealing the entire map and seeing if somehow all those unlisted dwarves are stuck in an unpathable hole somewhere, or if maybe the fun stuff has spawned but can't reach your fort.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

'Stuck in random unpathable hidden holes' has been the unifying theme of all my experiments with retiring/unretiring.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mu. posted:

I'm down to 35 FPS in my current fort, this release really doesn't perform well.

I have 50 fps with 15 pop. I used to get 100 with over a 100 pop. My errorlog.txt is huge too. Yeah its not doing so hot.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I hope he fixes the bugs with constructing walls and dwarves standing on their own construction and then cancelling construction because they are standing on it, annoying as gently caress. I've made sure there's standable floor adjacent, tried suspending unsuspending, removing the construction and remaking using different stone, sometimes it just keeps happening over and over until finally it works for no discernable reason.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Indecisive posted:

I hope he fixes the bugs with constructing walls and dwarves standing on their own construction and then cancelling construction because they are standing on it, annoying as gently caress. I've made sure there's standable floor adjacent, tried suspending unsuspending, removing the construction and remaking using different stone, sometimes it just keeps happening over and over until finally it works for no discernable reason.

C'mon, Urist....please don't wall yourself into the pit...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Toady just fixed population cap.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922

And those projectile issues that were discussed yesterday.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Indecisive posted:

For this reason I make unsightly little "nubs" (basically, an extra wall piece next to where you intend to close out the wall). It ruins the aesthetic, but if the only way to ensure the dwarf won't wall himself in is to make it physically impossible for him to do so, then so be it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I see that Bronzestabbed is still running (incredibly impressive after 2 years.) Are there any recent LPs that include the new goodies from this year?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kennel posted:

Toady just fixed population cap.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922

And those projectile issues that were discussed yesterday.

Awesome, bugfixes from the last 4+ years!~

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

War Dog 2: The Trainening
I still don't know how the gently caress to do this.

So here's where I'm running into issue:

Here's our test subjects. I know that they don't have to be walled in, but I might end up using this same area later for taming wild animals too. As you can see, the zone has been set up to be a Pen/Pasture and a Training Zone.

Unnamed Stray Dog (Tame). A choice specimen.

And here's Besmar Dawntheater, Breaker of Dogs. As you can see, he has Animal Training enabled.

Let's press "p" for Preferences...

And "e" for Work Animals...wait a sec, no animals?

I guess I need to go into the Unit List screen (press "u" from the main interface), and scroll over to Pets/Livestock, and highlight the test subject, then press "w" for war dog training.

Well, that's where I get stuck. I don't know of any other menu where I can find my animals, and there's certainly no option to train the animals from this list. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? I'd like to amass a force of trained dogs to eventually rip out goblin throats. Right now, the goblin siege just sits on the other side of the river, menacingly. But soon they'll bring more immediate threats.

Thanks for the help.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

It's not the 'U' menu where you designate an animal for training.

Press 'Z' for the fort status menu. Along the top of that menu will be some tabs (animals, kitchen, stocks, etc.)

'Animals' is the first of them, so just press 'Enter' in the 'Z' menu to go to it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

There we go. Thank you.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

No worries, your confusion is perfectly understandable given that there are two different menus listing almost exactly the same information. But thats Dwarf Fortress!

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
It's good to know that some things stay the same. I had a farmer go on break and then spam the log with the fact that he could not find the path to equipment. His total is at 3720 messages and counting with no sign of stopping.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The devlog is smashed into the thread, an unrecognizable mass

Toady One posted:

Charlie Hall over at Polygon wrote an article on Dwarf Fortress focusing on world generation for which I was interviewed.

The population cap should work for next time. Hospital zones should be less greedy and snatch up only the proper amount of objects (ag). I also cleaned up some problems with the projectile code to move them over to a slightly more acceptable place, though there are doubtless some issues. Fixing a rounding error screwed up a lot of the other analysis, so I still had to wing it for now. Thanks to Zivilin, Pirate Bob, UristDaVinci, Joben, Bertinator and many others that performed various experiments and so on.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i just want toady to stop adding poo poo for a bit and fix the outstanding bugs but he will never do such a thing

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if you asked me two years ago about life's certainties it would've been death, taxes, and the migrant bug

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i just want toady to stop adding poo poo for a bit and fix the outstanding bugs but he will never do such a thing

The funny part is, if he took 6 months to fix outstanding problems and refactor his code a bit, he could add poo poo at a much faster rate in the future. I can't even imagine how many hacks he's piled on top of hacks, or how difficult it would be to change anything in that monolithic codebase. Which is how we got a 2 year release cycle that introduced only very minor changes.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Oh boy, a human diplomat has arrived. Wonder what excitement this could bring?

"Theni Dolakemtha, law-giver vampire"

:stare:

Do I need to set my vast armies on this diplomat before they infect/drain the rest of my fortress? I had to go all cask of amontillado on my bookkeeper (who is still there...counting. Always counting).

Paco de Suave fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Paco de Suave posted:

Oh boy, a human diplomat has arrived. Wonder what excitement this could bring? "Theni Dolakemtha, law-giver vampire"

:stare:

Do I need to set my vast armies on this diplomat before they infect the rest of my fortress? I had to go all cask of amontillado on my bookkeeper (who is still there...counting. Always counting).

There is the possibility that they might get peckish and eat one of your dwarves, but AFAIK vampires generally don't spread their curse just by being in proximity to others, so I doubt you'll wind up with a bunch of vampire dwarves. Plus, if you attack them, a) they'll flip out with their vampire strength and probably kill a bunch of people, and b) their civ will get pissed off and attack you.

Honestly, I'd say the most sensible course of action is to be a gracious host and treat this visiting vampire politely until they go away with a minimum of bloodshed.