Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Still gonna reread it before the new one comes out, even though they are only loosely connected?

Correct. The Cruciform Glitch plays a bigger role in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

razorrozar posted:

The oldest millennials, using the definition given earlier, were born in 1983 and are therefore 31. Not even old enough to be President yet. :psyduck:

Yes but you see this new generation has 16 year olds who invent things as seen in these newspaper articles so therefore,

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

razorrozar posted:

Not even old enough to be President yet. :psyduck:

Maybe not in our reality:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sci-fi recommendation The Left Hand of Darkness. It's amazing. For a 45 year old book, it holds up. I can only read it in the summer when all those descriptions of horrible cold don't feel like real life.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

made of bees posted:

Wasn't Dale supposed to be a guy you could seriously believe would blow up an IRS building early on and not just a wacky crazy guy?
It was a lot less obvious early on that he was completely cowardly and ineffectual and just wanted to be loved.

There's a great episode where he travels to Dallas and realizes the book depository faces north instead of south or whatever, so the lone gunman theory makes complete sense and the rest of the conspiracies he believed in are false too. This of course makes him an insufferable rah rah America guy and Hank can't deal with it. (Because it's 1999 or whatever and there are still honest, moderate republicans like him clinging to the last vestiges of sanity)

King of the Hill isn't on Netflix anymore and it's a goddamn tragedy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The only reason Ender's Game is popular is because every lonely nerdy middle school kid wants to be recognized for their raw intellectual talent then swept up to play laser tag, in space, for the good of humanity. Power fantasies like that stick with some people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The only reason Ender's Game is popular is because every lonely nerdy middle school kid wants to be recognized for their raw intellectual talent then swept up to play laser tag, in space, for the good of humanity. Power fantasies like that stick with some people.

Excuse me are you describing literally every YA novel ever?

The only good YA novels I've ever read are the Knife of Never Letting Go (and sequels) and Shipbreaker and I have no idea why they're YA because they're full of swears and deaths.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

wyldhoney posted:

I was born in 1981 and I fit the Millienial model perfectly - broke, aimless, and a drain on my parents' financial resources. Most of my friends are burnt out and disillusioned just as badly, and we aren't even Americans. Therefore I humbly petition for the inclusion of everyone born in 81 and 82 under the Millienial umbrella. Thanks for your consideration.

Maybe not all - seems like a case-by-case thing to me. But if you want to be a millennial, who am I to stop you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was born in 1979 and I actually fit the Boomer model because I loving hate millenials.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Does anyone have any noir/detective fiction recommendations? I'm finishing up Ellroy's L.A. Quartet which is pretty good but Perfidia doesn't come out until this fall.

Also the only thing worse than millennials is the deluge of "think"-pieces about the millennial condition by non-millennials. Those are up there with "graduate of extremely selective institutions tells you not to send your kids to extremely selective institutions/college at all, is highly unlikely to send his kids to vocational schools" pieces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yiddish Policeman's Union!

Also timely because you can think "yeah, we actually should've done that".

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

I was born in 1979 and I actually fit the Boomer model because I loving hate millenials.

:(

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Yiddish Policeman's Union!

Also timely because you can think "yeah, we actually should've done that".

Already read it and loved it. Actually got into a conversation about it at work which then veered into I/P, and at that point I just walked out of her office. Just no good can come of that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i, personally, think the whole baby boomer, gen x,y and millenial divide is incredibly retarded

thanks for listening

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

R. Mute posted:

i, personally, think the whole baby boomer, gen x,y and millenial divide is incredibly retarded

thanks for listening

I, personally, think your opinion is probably right and it's a stupid thing to argue about. We're all people, after all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Warszawa posted:

Does anyone have any noir/detective fiction recommendations? I'm finishing up Ellroy's L.A. Quartet which is pretty good but Perfidia doesn't come out until this fall.

The Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries are very good, particularly the earlier stuff. It was written in the 1920s-30s by the most academic and gooniest of the great mystery authors, Dorothy Sayers. I won't spoil just how goony her work gets, but in terms of academia, some of her short stories have bibilographies and the reader can benefit from comprehensive knowledge of medieval history, romance languages, and catechism-not that any of those are required. The Five Red Herrings and Unnatural Death are the most classic in form, and are good introductions to her style. My personal favorites are Murder Must Advertise and The Nine Tailors.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Millenals are just people young enough to not have an inherent cultural taboo against knowing how computers work and how to operate them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They also take SELFIES at the HOLOCAUST.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries are very good, particularly the earlier stuff. It was written in the 1920s-30s by the most academic and gooniest of the great mystery authors, Dorothy Sayers. I won't spoil just how goony her work gets, but in terms of academia, some of her short stories have bibilographies and the reader can benefit from comprehensive knowledge of medieval history, romance languages, and catechism-not that any of those are required. The Five Red Herrings and Unnatural Death are the most classic in form, and are good introductions to her style. My personal favorites are Murder Must Advertise and The Nine Tailors.

Is this going to be one of those Lovecraft-esque books where the swarthy culprit is identified using phrenology?

Also, you should check out Silk, it's a pretty good show about QC applicants in the UK. Just enough law to justify a detour from cramming, but it's the UK legal system so you don't have to worry about learning anything.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
In 2012, "Let's take away medicare and social security from the young but keep it for the old" was literally part of the Romney/Ryan platform. They received 47% of the vote.

The divide is stupid but it has political consequences, so I don't think it's a good idea to just let them go on about how entitled we are.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Millenals are just people young enough to not have an inherent cultural taboo against knowing how computers work and how to operate them.
i think the annoying buzzword you're looking for is digital native

*glances at cv*

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, there is "entitlement" like trolling and pirating movies and flaking out on friends and then there is systemic entitlement where billions of dollars flow back upstream and you make things drastically worse for the next generation. As far as society-at-large is concerned, if you don't have any capital or power it almost doesn't matter how entitled you are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And Vines.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Warszawa posted:

Is this going to be one of those Lovecraft-esque books where the swarthy culprit is identified using phrenology?

Nope! Sayers writes with big words and has fantastic prose, but she was progressive for her time.
Have a quote from one of her theology essays:

Dorothy Sayers posted:

Somehow or other, and with the best of intentions, we have shown the world the typical Christian in the likeness of a crashing and rather ill-natured bore—and this in the name of one who assuredly never bored a soul in those thirty-three years during which he passed through the world like a flame.
And for a sample of her mystery writing style:

Dorothy Sayers posted:

"How about truth in advertising?"

"Of course, there is some truth in advertising. There's yeast in bread, but you can't make bread with yeast alone. Truth in advertising ... is like leaven, which a woman hid in three measures of meal. It provides a suitable quantity of gas, with which to blow out a mass of crude misrepresentation into a form that the public can swallow."
(Sayers worked in advertising, and is known for developing the Guiness Zoo advertisements(Guiness+Toucan=$$$$$), and the phrase "It pays to advertise").

...The problem with her work is that she wrote in a self-insert about halfway through the series that winds up marrying Lord Peter. As I said, the gooniest of the great mystery authors.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 25, 2014

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How's the bar going, Discendo?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:suicide: My raw scores are stalled at about 60%. Real Property and Sales/Contracts are my trouble subjects- I had poor instructors in law school, and there's a lot of rote memorization involved. (The scaled cutoff is 66%)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 25, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

:suicide: My scores are stalled at about 60%. Real Property and Sales/Contracts are my trouble subjects- I had poor instructors in law school, and there's a lot of rote memorization involved.

Hillary Clinton failed the D.C. Bar, so I guess the pertinent question is how your significant other feels about cigars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The Sparrow is a good sci fi novel that isn't all warp drivey

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

A Vice article about Roma being ostracized flashed by my Twitter feed, and what with Israel in the news again it made think that at least the Jews got a country out of the Holocaust, the Roma didn't get poo poo. Poor gypsies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gays didn't get a country either. Just Mykonos :smith:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Wait I thought they got England :confused:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I thought the very first, Ender's Game, was a good read and a cool look into a weirdo child's mind who saw everything as intense social politics :shobon:

I also liked the characterization of the manipulative generals. Just a fun read overall IMO.

Ender's Game is good, and was really cool when I first read it. I never read the Ender sequels where he flies off to go be sad about being teenage space Hitler; I was talking about the Bean sequels that are like Card writing Clancy-esque geopolitics while Bean flies around fighting wars and trying to find his real science dad. Then he flies off into space because he has gigantism and can't live in gravity anymore.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember that when I was a dumbshit 13 year old I internalized all the bullshit about Islam Card wrote in Shadow of the Giant :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I thought the very first, Ender's Game, was a good read and a cool look into a weirdo child's mind who saw everything as intense social politics :shobon:

I also liked the characterization of the manipulative generals. Just a fun read overall IMO.

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are pretty good. As long as he doesn't have to characterize believable romance or sexuality, Card's in his element.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Defenestration posted:

It was a lot less obvious early on that he was completely cowardly and ineffectual and just wanted to be loved.

There's a great episode where he travels to Dallas and realizes the book depository faces north instead of south or whatever, so the lone gunman theory makes complete sense and the rest of the conspiracies he believed in are false too. This of course makes him an insufferable rah rah America guy and Hank can't deal with it. (Because it's 1999 or whatever and there are still honest, moderate republicans like him clinging to the last vestiges of sanity)

King of the Hill isn't on Netflix anymore and it's a goddamn tragedy

King of the Hill is only good if you remember that Peggy Hill is the villain of the series.

Even then, it's not that good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa my wrong rear end stupid opinion detector is going off the charts!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Isle of Man right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

There was a state comprising at least two cities before the unfortunate fire and brimstone incident of c. 2000 B.C.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
King of the Hill is loving sublime and I won't let you dare slander it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Technogeek posted:

Was this a recent thing or just a reference to Gategate?

KInd of an extension of it I guess. Arthmoor is pushing an expansion of mod author rights which puts compatibility patches and stuff under the control of the original mod authors, but excludes dynamic patchers because the content is run on the users computer.

Our very own LtSmash is responding with a dynamic patcher to mod out Arthmoors oblivion gates called:

Automatic
Rewriting
Tool
Helping
Mod
Oblivion
Out
Rapidly

:getin:

Edit: And I made the background image for LtSmash's new tool!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread