Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:toxx: If The Legend of Korra is cancelled I will do in-depth reviews of every episode of the 2013 sitcom Dads.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I figured it would either be taken as the joke that it obviously was or I'd get motivation to do some writing about a painful experience that, in the end, doesn't actually matter. A masochistic distraction.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, if I get this right, they aren't going to televise any of the new episodes after this friday?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, if I get this right, they aren't going to televise any of the new episodes after this friday?

Not for season 3 anyway.

Season 4, who knows, they're stuck with it either way.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So: Nick fucks up putting the episodes on the server, episodes leak
Nick combats leaks by launching series with no advertising
Nick doesn't let the show be played in other mediums
Almost no one knows the show is on, and most of those can't catch it because it isn't in ay medium other than broadcat
Nick gives it the broadcast axe for low ratings

That about sum it up? So basically Nick completely tanked this on its own and now "sucks to be you"?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My pet theory is that they thought the best way to salvage the season was to blast through the first six episodes to get to the ones that hadn't been leaked, and make a big deal that they're not available online, thinking it would draw in a big crowd of viewers who had seen the leaked episodes.

Episode seven however, which aired last weak and was the first episode to be shown that wasn't leaked, had the worst ratings of the whole season at 1.1m. So the executives who came up with this flawless strategy threw up their hands and decided the show is just incapable of drawing in views anymore, despite their amazing plan.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
It's kinda weird that they seemed to care about the leaks so much. How many people who would watch fansubs in Spanish would watch it on TV anyway?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm sure they just want to kill it so they can replace it with something more important like some cheapo tween show.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Burn Nickelodeon to the ground.

This happened already with the Original Nickelodeon Studios.

The time capsule is still there. :negative:

I wonder if the Platinum Korra game is canceled or something now.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why would it be? It's coming out this year, it's obviously paid for and well into production. Plus, Korra isn't actually cancelled.

gently caress, the Young Justice game came out long after the series was cancelled.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

The Taint Reaper posted:

This happened already with the Original Nickelodeon Studios.

The time capsule is still there. :negative:

You shut your mouth before you jinx us. :argh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Props on the new thread title, which I agree with unironically, because Legend of Korra is far too good to be sandwiched between Sam & Cat and Full House.

Sam and Cat is(was) the most popular show on Nickelodeon. Putting Korra next to S&C is like CBS putting anything next to The Big Bang Theory. If Korra couldn't perform next to S&C, its no wonder Nick was so hasty to cancel it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Metropolis posted:

It's kinda weird that they seemed to care about the leaks so much. How many people who would watch fansubs in Spanish would watch it on TV anyway?

Now I'm not a fancypants TV scheduling wizard or anything, but this seems really weird to me. Why would you hurry your brand-new show out the door when a leak shows up? Only the dedicated fanbase would know about the leaks anyway, since there has been NO marketing, and they're just in Spanish, too. Chances are, most people have no idea. Seems to me that you'd just eat the loss of the Spanish-speaking fanbase portion (who knows, they're probably dedicated enough to watch it on TV anyway, and the English fanbase will want to watch it in English at some point) and take the chance to launch into a marketing campaign. Like, treat the leak as viral marketing, because what else are you gonna do with it?

I don't have any numbers, but it seems to me that online leaks (and, well, piracy due to that) is somewhat overrated. It's not moderately tech-savvy internet users that pull in the big numbers. If anything, those guys are more useful for spreading the word than, y'know, actually turning on the television. I don't know, I'm just making poo poo up from what I know of my buddies' viewing habits.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The show has done poo poo ratings year after year and Nick decided to burn it off long before the season aired. Then it got even worse ratings than the modest ones they expected and tore it from the schedule so they could at least put a bigger ratings winner there.

They don't loving care that the season is slightly better than the others, they care that no one of value to them gives a poo poo about it. Thus, it got taken off air.

There's no big conspiracy or a gently caress up that resulted in this, it's just what happens when a show isn't doing as well as the network needs it too.

If I had to level a guess at why no one loving watches it on Nick? The female protagonist. The same reason why no one makes toys or other sources of revenue for the series.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no big conspiracy or a gently caress up that resulted in this, it's just what happens when a show isn't doing as well as the network needs it too.

No gently caress up? Are you forgetting the part where they released it with a week's notice, with barely any marketing, in a timeslot that doesn't work for the demographic, and refused to put it up anywhere online? And you don't think there were any gently caress ups playing a part in how well it did this season?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

No gently caress up? Are you forgetting the part where they released it with a week's notice, with barely any marketing, in a timeslot that doesn't work for the demographic, and refused to put it up anywhere online? And you don't think there were any gently caress ups playing a part in how well it did this season?

No, I think that was all deliberate. And the ratings are actually in line with previous seasons drop-off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

If I had to level a guess at why no one loving watches it on Nick? The female protagonist.

Obviously.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PriorMarcus posted:

If I had to level a guess at why no one loving watches it on Nick? The female protagonist. The same reason why no one makes toys or other sources of revenue for the series.

I think it has much more to do with Korra's age than her gender. A ten year old coming in after having just watched Spongebob is all for watching a 12 year old go penguin sledding and make poop jokes than watch a 16 year old beating up revolutionaries and lament her place in the current love triangle.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or maybe, just maybe, that despite having a female protagonist, Korra is still a boy's show being aired on a girl-heavy night.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Nick wanted Korra to fail, that's ludicrous.
I do think that they have no idea how to advertise Korra to the 6-12 demographic, and I have a damning piece of evidence to that effect: At no point does Meelo, Ikki, or Varrick appear in advertisements for Korra. I'm aware they're side characters, but if Nick had any idea what they were doing, they'd play those characters up like hell to draw in the kids looking for funny cartoon characters.
Neither does Kai, actually.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 25, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So wait we're not getting two episodes a week like was originally planned anymore?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't see why it's ludicrous for Nick to want the show to fail. From what I understand neither of the previous seasons were good for selling toys which is where their big money comes in. So they purposefully set it up so it does really bad so they have an excuse to remove it and not touch it again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I do think that they have no idea how to advertise Korra to the 6-12 demographic, and I have a damning piece of evidence to that effect: At no point does Meelo, Ikki, or Varrick appear in advertisements for Korra. I'm aware they're side characters, but if Nick had any idea what they were doing, they'd play those characters up like hell to draw in the kids looking for funny cartoon characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlF18VoerCE

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So wait we're not getting two episodes a week like was originally planned anymore?

Nope, we get one last episode on TV tonight, and then it sounds like we're getting an episode a week online starting on August 1st.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Don't see why it's ludicrous for Nick to want the show to fail. From what I understand neither of the previous seasons were good for selling toys which is where their big money comes in. So they purposefully set it up so it does really bad so they have an excuse to remove it and not touch it again.
Except they ordered Books 3 and 4 together during the 15 month hiatus between Books 1 and 2 so that can't be right.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

No, they ordered them after Book One but before Book Two.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

That's what I said.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

...that would be in the hiatus between books one and two, yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's not a conspiracy good grief. It's an expensive cartoon to produce, it needs to have strong ad support and it didn't. But if there was no money in it they wouldn't air the rest of the season at all, and they'd scrap the fourth season mid-production, a thing they have done in the past. That they're airing it online means that there is money to be made, and they may decide at some point, after having aired the full season online, to air the full season on TV when they think it will do well/best. Which is not right now, obviously!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's what I said.

Yep, I misread what you wrote. Sorry man.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's not a conspiracy good grief. It's an expensive cartoon to produce, it needs to have strong ad support and it didn't. But if there was no money in it they wouldn't air the rest of the season at all, and they'd scrap the fourth season mid-production, a thing they have done in the past.

Yeah. At this point putting it online with ads lets them make something, and then I'm sure Book 4 is either going to get the same treatment or just pushed out to DVD in one lump to rely on older fans buying it up. Honestly I kind of hope they just shove the rest of Book 3 up online, at this point I'd rather just get the whole drat thing now instead of needing to gently caress with Nick's site for weeks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So will this mean the show finally shows up online again pretty soon? I honestly got annoyed with how they'd said a few weeks ago that there'd be a staggered release for them online, yet there's still nothing up so far as I'm aware.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actually the first five episodes of Book 3 are up on Nick.com, along with a seemingly random selection of episodes from Books 1 and 2.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Korra panel at Comic Con is today, right? Does anyone know when it starts? I look forward to hearing about it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Can anybody venture a reason as to why online uploads seem so loving hard for the network? Is it a lisencing thing per episode? Especially the episodes from previous seasons, why complicate this to hell and back to no apparent advantage. Who wants to watch a random rerun of a heavily serialized show?!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

The Korra panel at Comic Con is today, right? Does anyone know when it starts? I look forward to hearing about it.
It's in 30 minutes, lasts for an hour, and everything we learn will be posted here by me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's in 30 minutes, lasts for an hour, and everything we learn will be posted here by me.

I just looked the panel up...

quote:

Moderated by Megan Casey (VP of current series for Nickelodeon).

That should be interesting. Haha. Assuming she would have had some say in the Nickelodeon-side decisions about Korra this season, I hope she gets some ire directed at her.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 25, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

thexerox123 posted:

Nope, we get one last episode on TV tonight, and then it sounds like we're getting an episode a week online starting on August 1st.

What's the rational from switching to two episodes a week to one episode now that it's online?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the rational from switching to two episodes a week to one episode now that it's online?

Nickelodeon Executives work in mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

theblackw0lf posted:

So they can fill the timeslot with something that will get higher ratings. Like more Spongebob reruns.

• Locked thread