Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

The power of voodoo!

Who do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

nobody is going to notice until the CEO needs it for an emergency conference and you're going to get fired for sabotaging it

entrapment.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

You do!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

the spyder posted:

I have hidden the laptop and TV in one of my locked store rooms and am waiting for the fallout. :devil:

Unless it's your job to secure equipment, you're setting yourself up to get fired for stealing equipment. Just send out the email asking people to make sure the storeroom is locked and don't worry about it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

m.hache posted:

But it comes with the power! :black101:

The POWER to make a decision, have the user whine to his boss, countermand the decision, and now he has to eat crow and do whatever the smug gently caress of a user wanted originally.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 24, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah it's not personal, it's business when they find someone else.

Its been repeated 100's of times already but yeah, amazing things can happen when you grow a backbone.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Its been repeated 100's of times already but yeah, amazing things can happen when you grow a backbone.
Yes, and those amazing things typically include unemployment for many of us.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grow the backbone at review time. poo poo like "here are my added responsibilities over the past year". Not "gently caress you, I aint doing more poo poo until I see the dollar bills ya'll.".

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Grow the backbone at review time. poo poo like "here are my added responsibilities over the past year". Not "gently caress you, I aint doing more poo poo until I see the dollar bills ya'll.".

Yeah, if you expect to get a raise every time they throw another task at you, you're going to be let go really soon.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Yes, because that is what I am wanting you to do, say gently caress you to your boss and drop the mic.

m.hache posted:

Yeah, if you expect to get a raise every time they throw another task at you, you're going to be let go really soon.

Managing other employees something I see on the same level as just getting more tasks. I guess it would depend on how often you are left managing the other employees would affect my level of care.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 24, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It depends on what the added work is, I think. I would ask for a raise immediately if I was getting a manager's responsibilities but not if I was just picking up some minor stuff.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
God some of you are such loving pushovers

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am shipping my shoes to you so you can walk a mile in them.

Or 1.6 km if that suits your fancy.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
My boss told me(by way of announcing at a meeting) that I was being made Team Lead, which is a serious increase of responsibility and managing fellow employees. Afterwards, I found him and said "No, unless I also get a promotion and raise."

20% more money, new position. :)

It depends on the boss, but you need to fight for every dollar.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If somebody says "you're doing this now" and it is out of your current pay grade, negotiate. If they stonewall you, look for a new job.

Like, how out of it do you have to be to not recognize that. If your job is forcing work on you and expecting you to just take it without a raise, keep loving looking. They're not gonna replace you, they're gonna find someone else internally to shove the work onto and then blacklist you from ever getting a promoted, ever. Eventually they may replace you if this happens more than once, but it's totally on you if you say yes and accept extra work without extra compensation

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

m.hache posted:

Being able to press the Windows key and type to instantly search your computer is pretty rad. That's my favorite feature thus far in Windows 8.1.

Vista did this from day one, let alone 7. It has literally been a standard part of the Windows interface for 7 years, and if you liked it before Vista, you could always use Launchy (which I did on XP for ages, and I still use it now!).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 25, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Do what?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Do what?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My office refuses to support 8 and I stand behind that. There's so many dumb niggling features and hell, even I don't fully grasp it yet. It'd be chaos if the users called up with win 8 issues. I'll keep learning it, but the metro UI really does piss me off. Its the lack of choice I think.

On the managing the office talk, is it actually responsibilities or is it just "people come to me and I pass it onto the boss"? If its the former, ask for a bit of extra cash. If its the latter, jesus christ its just taking messages down to pass on that's not worth the fuss.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We gave 8 to our CEO and he really likes it, so now it's like the office line "you'll take 8 and no bitching, per the CEO" because holy poo poo he must own stock or something.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

My office refuses to support 8 and I stand behind that. There's so many dumb niggling features and hell, even I don't fully grasp it yet. It'd be chaos if the users called up with win 8 issues. I'll keep learning it, but the metro UI really does piss me off. Its the lack of choice I think.

On the managing the office talk, is it actually responsibilities or is it just "people come to me and I pass it onto the boss"? If its the former, ask for a bit of extra cash. If its the latter, jesus christ its just taking messages down to pass on that's not worth the fuss.

You don't like a full screen start menu you don't have to interact with 99% of the time?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Where do I submit a ticket for this thread to get back on track from career advice and windows 8 chat

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Call the help desk.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like a nerd chest puffing match in here between who can grow the biggest backbone and who needs admin rights the most. drat nerds.

In the spirit of the thread though I had a great ticket come in!

A user requested an ergonomic keyboard which is no problem, I have one of the guys go bring her the standard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Nope wont cut it. This special snowflake is dead set on some model that has a built in touch pad where the numpad would normally be. Its supposed to use swipes and gestures and what not to replace mouse functions and reduce strain on the user somehow. Well she got her supervisor approval so I didnt care and ordered it.

For the next two weeks she has put in multiple tickets regarding the drat thing. How she cant do work in excel or outlook or interact with browsers normally. Well yeah no poo poo! You bought some gimmicky piece of garbage that somehow combines the worse of touch interaction with apps and Win 7 specifically designed for a mouse keyboard setup. She keeps claiming that it is something wrong that we setup. I tell her that we can't do anything about the equipment and she can keep using it if she wants or go back to a normal mouse/keyboard. As of today she is still plodding through using the thing. I've offered her one of those standup vertical mouses but she flat out refuses to use anything else now. Finally it gets to the point where she is late on some work or something so she submits a few tickets saying the general my excel cant do this blah blah blah. I go over there this time with a mouse, plug it in, and use excel like any other normal human being would. Create whatever functions needed to be created all by the ease of selecting the exact cells I needed to! I explained the whole situation to her boss as I'm walking back to my office. He didn't seem pleased. Hopefully this will shut her up and she will just accept defeat.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hopefully this will shut her up and she will just accept defeat.
You must be new here.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nexxai posted:

You must be new here.

Hope springs eternal my friend. I'll give you all a guess as to what department she works in.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hope springs eternal my friend. I'll give you all a guess as to what department she works in.

Sales? Marketing? IT?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Sales? Marketing? IT?

Marketing, refuge of sales people everywhere that weren't attractive enough to make it any longer/ever.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dogstile posted:

The Metro UI sucks but you can still set up a scheduled task in about 2 minutes that lets you bypass the UI and go straight to the desktop. MS I believe will be releasing another patch/SP next month that'll bring back full taskbar and Start menu functionality too (until then there's always Classic Shell or something similar).

I get that people don't like the 8 UI, and some apps might not be supported - but outside that, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Most folks just throw their hands up and bitch for the sake of hearing themselves bitch, because 10 minutes of research is "too hard".

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

I get that people don't like the 8 UI, and some apps might not be supported - but outside that, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Most folks just throw their hands up and bitch for the sake of hearing themselves bitch, because 10 minutes of research is "too hard".

8s problem is that 7 exists and still gets actively updated. Pretty much anything 8 runs can also run on 7 so all it really brings to the table is a UI a lot of people dislike and potential legacy app compatibility problems.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

8s problem is that 7 exists and still gets actively updated. Pretty much anything 8 runs can also run on 7 so all it really brings to the table is a UI a lot of people dislike and potential legacy app compatibility problems.

Well there's your easy fix for 8. Just stop updating 7 :suicide:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ozz81 posted:

The Metro UI sucks but you can still set up a scheduled task in about 2 minutes that lets you bypass the UI and go straight to the desktop. MS I believe will be releasing another patch/SP next month that'll bring back full taskbar and Start menu functionality too (until then there's always Classic Shell or something similar).

8.1 Update 1 has a "boot to desktop" option, by the way.

I pretty much never see the metro menu except in brief flashes as I winkey+type

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Ozz81 posted:

Yup. I very much feel the same way about Vista. Sure, it was dog poo poo back when it was first released but ever since SP1 or so, it's been fine.

I only mention this because I've been re-imaging a lot of older XP boxes with Vista as they are already licensed for Vista and it seems like whenever I say I'm going to re-image a system with Vista, people tend to give a look of disgust and ask 'why'? Well, licensing. Talk to corporate. They're the ones dragging their feet on ordering the volume licenses for 7. Oddly enough, with the lovely healthcare software and old-rear end scanners, I've had less issues with Vista than I've had with 7.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I pretty much never see the metro menu except in brief flashes as I winkey+type

I read that as "winky" and was thinking "oh, man, another weird thing I've never heard of." :wink:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I read that as "winky" and was thinking "oh, man, another weird thing I've never heard of." :wink:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who did a double take. I was wondering how or why he was typing in winky faces.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Incident with a high impact pops into my queue:

INC0000345127

Client requires additional software installed on laptop.

Please specify software to install.

Client will provide media to install.

Name of software to install?

Starcraft

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

INC0000345127

Starcraft

I agree, this is high impact. Get that mans game running immediately!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

INC0000345127

Starcraft

Starcraft I or II?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

INC0000345127

Starcraft

Is that a SERVICENOW incident code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

AlternateAccount posted:

Is that a SERVICENOW incident code?

Good old Remedy. I left out some of the zeroes. The ticket number isn't entirely accurate either, to protect the stupid.

• Locked thread