Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
So I'm getting tired of Zero Tolerance, Doomnukem and the rest of WW's stuff (no offense, just that I've been playing them forever), Space Amazon, MSX, Psychic, Guncaster, AEOD, etc., and I'm looking for a new weapon replacement .wad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Try GMOTA.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
DOOM2.WAD, it has a great double barrel shotgun

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The super shotgun is honestly too good. It basically obsoletes everything else.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

So I'm getting tired of Zero Tolerance, Doomnukem and the rest of WW's stuff (no offense, just that I've been playing them forever), Space Amazon, MSX, Psychic, Guncaster, AEOD, etc., and I'm looking for a new weapon replacement .wad.

Maybe try XWeapon: Helsturm? It makes most WADs hard as poo poo, especially at higher difficulties, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So I played Pirate Doom! about a month ago and really liked it. Now I'd like to find something else kind of in the same vein. As in makes a lot of changes, has a well designed single player campaign, but still feels like Doom.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thinking of doing another review of a slightly more obscure classic FPS (like Undying). Would anyone be interested in that? If so, any suggestions?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Thinking of doing another review of a slightly more obscure classic FPS (like Undying). Would anyone be interested in that? If so, any suggestions?

I love reading obscure classic FPS reviews, its like my favorite part of this thread :allears:
(In particular the Daikatana ones had me in tears, good job goons involved)

Suggestions... TekWar? :cheeky:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

If you didn't already, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Chasm: The Rift.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zaphod42 posted:

Suggestions... TekWar? :cheeky:

Oh Christ that game...If I can get it to run I will eventually.

Mak0rz posted:

If you didn't already, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Chasm: The Rift.

Now this is more like it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Did the full version of Deus Vult 2 ever get released, or is it still a WIP?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There's always something like Powerslave/Exhumed, I suppose. Although, I'd suggest Saturn > PS1 > PC in priority - the last one being the most solid placement, since the PC game is completely different and rather inferior.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Move the Malice data folder into your Steam Quake directory. Right click Quake in your Steam library, go to Properties, then click Set Launch Options. Type in "-game malice" (without the quotes).

If you prefer using the command line to launch your mods, you can also use:

d:\steam\steam.exe -applaunch 2310 -game malice

OR

you can install a custom engine like fitzquake and run command lines on that engine like usual:

d:\steam\steamapps\common\quake\fitzquake085.exe -game malice

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Zero Star posted:

Did the full version of Deus Vult 2 ever get released, or is it still a WIP?

Doom Marine posted:

Sooo... After raping everyone in Starcraft 2, getting engaged, and finally landed a job at my dream company, I'm going finish what I started here... stay tuned!

He posted this November last year, and he posted a few screenshots of a new WIP map last month.

Final version can probably be expected sometime in the next decade. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's everyone's favorite insanely huge single-level WADs? There was this one I played not too long ago that was set on a spaceship/space station thing that I really love but can't recall the name of.

And those WADs where some dude just put all the levels in doom.wad or doom2.wad together on a single level don't count for this.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Planisphere 2, I suppose? Certainly not for stability, though. Having a to-scale representation of New York City in a single map doesn't exactly lend itself to good framerates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I thought of another one, this thread doesn't seem to bring it up much. Marathon.

I played a good bit of it when I was younger on macs, but I never got as into it as Doom. Would be fun to read a comparison of Doom, Marathon and Duke. Similarities and differences, especially since they were clearly inspired by each other.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Casimir Radon posted:

So I played Pirate Doom! about a month ago and really liked it. Now I'd like to find something else kind of in the same vein. As in makes a lot of changes, has a well designed single player campaign, but still feels like Doom.

Pirate Doom has no right to be as good as it is. I thought it would be lame but absolutely loved wandering through seaside towns, sunken ships, grog factories, and pirate mansions. I wish there was literally anything else like it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought of another one, this thread doesn't seem to bring it up much. Marathon.

I played a good bit of it when I was younger on macs, but I never got as into it as Doom. Would be fun to read a comparison of Doom, Marathon and Duke. Similarities and differences, especially since they were clearly inspired by each other.

Doom and Marathon for sure but you have to remember that Duke was a good few years after both of those. It's contemporary and rival was Quake.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

Doom and Marathon for sure but you have to remember that Duke was a good few years after both of those. It's contemporary and rival was Quake.

Yeah this was why I never got into Duke 3D nearly as much. Quake was out so shortly afterwards and the multiplayer was a lot more fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Yeah Duke and Quake were like an evolutionary fork in the FPS road. Duke was more of a progression on what came before whereas Quake was a big step forward in technology terms but a bit of a step back in terms of interactivity and character. Quake's still my favourite FPS barring Blood, it's fairly limited but its really perfected in what it does.

edit: speaking of reviewing weird Classic FPS games, I kind of petered out on doing those. The ones I had left were all just really hard to get running and confusing pains in the rear end when I did get them working. Tekwar and anything else on that janky engine were just confusing as poo poo and horrible to play. Plus I cant remember if I reviewed quake 1 or 2 yet. I'd quite like to move on to that 3D area and do some writing again, especially about weird poo poo like the x-men TC for quake and the Malice TC also for quake.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 24, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
IMO, Quake managed to perfect the speed-based gameplay seen in Doom in a way that hasn't been surpassed since it came out, while Duke managed to blend Doom-style gameplay with really cool levels and neat weapons. Q1 and Duke 3D both have excellent SP and MP, but I think Q1's MP is better and DN3D's SP is better.

During the 90s, it felt like games were following Duke3D's example for the most part, but then the Counter-Strike revolution came and both the DN3D and Quake 1 branches died out in favor of "realistic" games and generic soldiers. Not that I dislike CS at all, but the games that copied it often did a poo poo job at it and took away a lot of the pure fun and humor FPS games had in the past. FPS games have kinda recovered with games like Black Ops 2, but it's not like it was in the late 90s.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Shadow Hog posted:

Planisphere 2, I suppose? Certainly not for stability, though. Having a to-scale representation of New York City in a single map doesn't exactly lend itself to good framerates.
lmao of course there is a switch to blow up a tower of the world trade center

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

closeted republican posted:

FPS games have kinda recovered with games like Black Ops 2, but it's not like it was in the late 90s.
How so?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zaphod42 posted:

It probably wouldn't be fun to read because I hate Marathon. Marathon II, though? That would be fun to review. I got nothin' but love for II. Let's not talk about Infinity.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Duke's whole thing was it was one of the first (if not the first) FPS games to try and create "real" places. Doom and its contemporaries and then even Quake mostly took place in very abstract, alien surroundings. When you played Duke you knew immediately "oh hey I'm in an American city and I can go into a store and there's stuff on the shelves" which was kinda mindblowing at the time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It probably wouldn't be fun to read because I hate Marathon. Marathon II, though? That would be fun to review. I got nothin' but love for II. Let's not talk about Infinity.

No, let's talk about Infinity, because I like that one a lot more than Durandal even if that is technically the superior game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Duke's whole thing was it was one of the first (if not the first) FPS games to try and create "real" places. Doom and its contemporaries and then even Quake mostly took place in very abstract, alien surroundings. When you played Duke you knew immediately "oh hey I'm in an American city and I can go into a store and there's stuff on the shelves" which was kinda mindblowing at the time.

The funny thing is that although Duke Nukem 3D had all the little details, when you zoom out the layouts were as abstract and weird as the ones in Doom. They were still designed in an the old-fasioned, gameplay first, abstract way it's just they were molded into something that resembled the real world afterwards.

I mean, how do cars even get on the street in any of the city levels in Duke3D? It's a dead-end both ways :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SwissCM posted:

The funny thing is that although Duke Nukem 3D had all the little details, when you zoom out the layouts were as abstract and weird as the ones in Doom. They were still designed in an the old-fasioned, gameplay first, abstract way it's just they were molded into something that resembled the real world afterwards.

I mean, how do cars even get on the street in any of the city levels in Duke3D? It's a dead-end both ways :v:

Aliens did it. Obviously.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

Shadow Warrior is kinda the same, most of the levels look decently realistic compared to a random section of Doom which is indeed pretty abstract other than the occasional techbase (which are still pretty abstract; E1M1 is a hangar? what?!) but if you actually look at the whole map and stop and think about it none of it really makes any sense at all and its still designed just like a Doom or Heretic level, just with a little more realistic doodads here and there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The "abstracted and condensed real-life" is my favorite design aesthetic, I love all sorts of real details shoved into a living environment that I can then bounce around like a superball, spamming rockets :3:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RyokoTK posted:

No, let's talk about Infinity, because I like that one a lot more than Durandal even if that is technically the superior game.

The story was certainty interesting (that ending) but I just could not get into the levels at all. They were abstract to the point of absurdity. M1's levels were pretty bad; all samey corridors and boring layouts. Durandal had decent to excellent levels. I think having it take place in an alien world made the strange layouts easier to swallow, but even then there was usually some kind of flow to them. Infinity is just :psyduck: the game with no payoff.

In my opinion, of course. I've pretty much heard nothing but praise for 1 and Infinity for years now.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Every time you post about Marathon I start writing something to defend it but it always ends up being a lot of things that are up to personal taste, so just pretend I'm looking at you like a hurt puppy right now

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Durandal has the best traditional maps I think. Infinity's are confusing and non-nonsensical and work for the story. I'm really bad at navigating retro FPS maps in the first place so I spend like 30 minutes on each map in Infinity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Infinity just went beyond what a top-down map and no HUD guidance can handle. I've played the game enough to have practically memorized it but I still can't make heads or tails of the map view.

Room-over-room is great but it has to be used in moderation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I kept looking at the map for Infinity Station and it just honestly made things worse. Deathmatch is great though

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow Warrior is kinda the same, most of the levels look decently realistic compared to a random section of Doom which is indeed pretty abstract other than the occasional techbase (which are still pretty abstract; E1M1 is a hangar? what?!) but if you actually look at the whole map and stop and think about it none of it really makes any sense at all and its still designed just like a Doom or Heretic level, just with a little more realistic doodads here and there.

E1M1 definitely could be a hangar. The big thing you're staring at at the start is a landing pad, and the window to the acid pool opens up further. (Damned if I remember how though.) It'd have to be a fairly small ship, but then again Doomguy is Commander Keen's distant relative, and his ship was pretty small.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Doom 2's city levels were pretty crap as far as trying to portray a city goes. Duke Nukem 3D were miles ahead.
The Hell levels make far more sense, lava, blood and guts and abstract concepts and all that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DoombatINC posted:

Every time you post about Marathon I start writing something to defend it but it always ends up being a lot of things that are up to personal taste, so just pretend I'm looking at you like a hurt puppy right now

Awww :3:

I totally get the series and why it's regarded as a classic. The story across the trilogy is really fascinating and it's tons of fun seeing Bungie's proto-Halo/Destiny material that obviously began deep in Marathon's lore (I'm still convinced all three series take place in the same universe) and, goddammit, they TRIED SO HARD I can't be THAT mad when I feel like levels or gameplay design doesn't work.

Durandal will forever be my fav homicidal AI, SHODAN and Glados included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dewgy posted:

E1M1 definitely could be a hangar. The big thing you're staring at at the start is a landing pad, and the window to the acid pool opens up further. (Damned if I remember how though.) It'd have to be a fairly small ship, but then again Doomguy is Commander Keen's distant relative, and his ship was pretty small.

Where do the planes go? In the acid pool? :confused:

You usually don't build a whole "Hangar" for one tiny ship. That'd be a landing pad or a garage. A Hangar means a huge empty warehouse where you can fit dozens of planes for refueling and maintenance between sorties. Google Hangar and literally every picture is just one gigantic huge empty building with no walls or anything to get in the way of planes.

I guess maybe they were riffing on Hangar 18 being just a place for techbase research.

Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
Impossible to break these walls
For you see the steel is much too strong
Computer banks to rule the world
Instruments to sight the stars

So its all Dave Mustaine's fault! Although with Hanger 18 I think the idea was they took like some area 51 hangar and converted it into a techbase, but that doesn't really work with E1M1.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 25, 2014