Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rumda posted:

Great holy war spoils like all crusades go to who ever contributed the most. Or to the holder of the kingdom title if it is of the right religion.

But I did all the fighting myself. No-one else got involved in the war. I invited the nephew to join but he stayed out of it. I guess the Kingdom title somehow defaulted to him then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wafflecopper posted:

But I did all the fighting myself. No-one else got involved in the war. I invited the nephew to join but he stayed out of it. I guess the Kingdom title somehow defaulted to him then?

Im not 100% sure, but if it is like crusades, the titles will go for whoever had a claim on it and were part of the war (even if he barely did any fighting at all).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you have a save from during the Great Holy War, you can open the Great Holy War panel in the upper left and it will tell you exactly who gains the title if it is successful.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tomn posted:

Well, that makes sense as far as the casualties go. But why am I still winning battles so handily, then? The baffling part to me isn't really the casualty breakdown, it's the fact that DESPITE massive casualties my pike-and-crossbow flanks seem to have nigh-invincible morale, allowing them to break the enemy and make good any casualties taken during melee via pursuit.

Seriously, I'd be taking something like 300 casualties per day out of a 4000-strong flank and morale won't go lower than 90%, while the enemy would be taking 100 casualties per day out of a similarly-sized flank but lose like 5-10% of the bar or something per day.

To make it clear since people seem to assume I'm in trouble and am asking for help: There is no trouble. I'm winning battles, I'm winning wars, and my all-defense retinues have secured me an empire that's coming pretty close to recreating the Roman empire. I'd just like to know why my battles are turning out the way they do because they don't seem to make a huge amount of sense.
Archers have poo poo morale and defense. Kills are distributed weighted by defense. So I suppose most of the deaths are occurring to archers and thus you're losing less morale maybe? (I don't think anyone is exactly clear how morale works though)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, I once landed my heir and he named all three of his sons Almerich. He also picked up Arbitrary somehow, but the names were the real crime.

EDIT: To be fair, Almerich isn't a bad name, and the eventual King Almerich was decent, but goddamn dude, it was like the George Foreman family of the 1140s.

Yeah. And they often marry poorly or to those awful looking norse portraits.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Captain Novolin posted:

Speaking of retinues, what's the best way to use longbows? I've been doing 3-1 longbows to shock, but I still get hit by the undefended flank tactic now and then and it's nearly cost me a couple major wars so far.

Okay, so I'm not sure about the math here, but I've been using longbows as kind of hilarious glass cannons. Only longbows, English or Welsh commanders on ever flank, only attack when you overwhelmingly outnumber them. If you pick your fights you can do enough damage to flat out demolish the enemy army in the skirmish phase, which leads to things like the enemy loosing nine thousand men to your sixteen. Oh course again, you need to be carefully and micromanage your stacks so you don't get caught by an enemy doomstack until you're ready. Again, "have numerical advantage" is such an obvious tactic, but it's a lot of fun with longbows and not unreasonable to achieve since they are so cheap. The lack of losses from murdering your enemies so quickly also means your armies don't take a lot of uh, "battle attrition." Not sure what to call it... losses to a stack overtime from battles, not from regular supply limits and attrition and the like. For example, you can take one doomstack of archers and just walk through a series of OPMs better than any other retinue, since you'll be taking less losses from wars other people would have won anyway.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I actually really like pikes as Italians for just that reason. You can murder the hell out of them but they just stand there and go "gently caress you" while your morale withers away.

I started a Venice game to learn the republic mechanics and holy gently caress are pikeman fun. I had a force of 1.5k sieging down a port in Croatia get dogpiled by an Italian army that came out of nowhere and was close to five times it's size. I was seriously close to rage-quitting, when I noticed I had somehow won the battle. My stack was nearly destroyed but just diligent reinforced until the siege was done like a decade later. (Hyperbole, but their offence is a weakness.) Still weird and fun and a totally different style of play than I've been used to (massed Longbows or Cataphracts or HI.) Do the Scots get the same kind of bonus, or do they use their pikemen differently?

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 25, 2014

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Any ancient-ancient near east mods? I've got a hankering for a mitanni chariot retinue

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

de jure drift question. I'm the king of Egypt and Arabia, and I need to give one of them away because I'm also the Emperor of Arabia running elective (so I'm at -30 for elector titles). I'm also the Duke of Medina, holding the two most valuable counties. Unfortunately, Medina drifted into Egypt before I got here. So, if I give away Egypt I'll have a two county, one duchy malus with that king. If I give away Arabia, I'll have a one county malus with that king because I also hold Tigris (and potentially a duchy since I've avoided creating the Duchy of Tigris).

Is there a way I can rejigger these titles to start the process of drifting Medina back into Arabia? That would let me give away Egypt without issue.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Any ancient-ancient near east mods? I've got a hankering for a mitanni chariot retinue

It isn't really Ancient Era and I haven't checked that there are actually chariot retinues but I get the impression that this is exactly the sort of hankering Lux Invicta exists to fill.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

There is Diadochi Kings, but afaik that's as far back as it goes.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Alikchi posted:

There is Diadochi Kings, but afaik that's as far back as it goes.

There's an Ancient Kings mod and a Pharohs and Counsels mod being designed on ModDB and someone is looking to make a Bronze Age collapse mod on the PDX forums as well.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Captain Novolin posted:

Speaking of retinues, what's the best way to use longbows? I've been doing 3-1 longbows to shock, but I still get hit by the undefended flank tactic now and then and it's nearly cost me a couple major wars so far.
3:1 LB:Shock is 80% Longbow. You want 60% to completely avoid Charge on Undefended. Go 2:1 Defensive:LB. Also, going Shock as your other mixing ingredient is suboptimal, because that opens up the Feint tactic during skirmish, which isn't as good.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I started a Venice game to learn the republic mechanics and holy gently caress are pikeman fun. I had a force of 1.5k sieging down a port in Croatia get dogpiled by an Italian army that came out of nowhere and was close to five times it's size. I was seriously close to rage-quitting, when I noticed I had somehow won the battle. My stack was nearly destroyed but just diligent reinforced until the siege was done like a decade later. (Hyperbole, but their offence is a weakness.) Still weird and fun and a totally different style of play than I've been used to (massed Longbows or Cataphracts or HI.) Do the Scots get the same kind of bonus, or do they use their pikemen differently?
Their offense in melee is actually really good on an efficiency basis taking into account tactics. Their defense is really crappy relative to the Scottish ones (they have 4x the defense for 15% less damage). That relative crappiness still leaves them above just about everything else though. Of course, they are absolute poo poo in skirmish though.

Linking my writeup on retinues from a few weeks back:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=613&perpage=40#post431940995

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 25, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So I'm in a pretty peculiar situation. As a Norse Jarl I managed to collect roughly half of the counties and jarledoms required for Sweden. The only person who comes close is the current Queen (who happens to be a complete badass). Long story short the past 60 years had been about cleverly sitting myself on the throne of what is now Sweden. And I'm currently married to the Queen and we have several sons who I can't kill because they are not in my court, they're in hers.

So I have the bright idea of turning catholic to reduce the amount of titles that get distributed to my many sons. :negative:

My wife the queen is probably the most aggressive AI I have ever seen.

Note the fate of her two sisters. And father.

She had literally nothing and expanded very aggresively early and all on her own took most of the prussia region.

A small mercy after turning catholic my third youngest son came to my court. I immediately made him my heir since it was set to my mongoloid sister and began to think of way to off my sons until finally my wife had her primary going to the heir I actually educated and orchestrated a decent marriage for.

I'm still somewhat of a newbie (obviously since I made a blunder of the religion swap) so I'm willing to take ideas on how best to proceed.

edit:
Just because it may be worth noting how even the power divide is.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 26, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There's an Ancient Kings mod and a Pharohs and Counsels mod being designed on ModDB and someone is looking to make a Bronze Age collapse mod on the PDX forums as well.

How would you make a Bronze Age Collapse setting? The most notable thing about the period is that one way or another everyone died and almost no records survived.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Invasion stacks spawning on the provinces bordering the Mediterranean, and any land they take gets broken up by event into separate counties over time? Honestly doesn't sound very fun, but to each their own.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Urgh, the latest beta patch isnt too stable. Sound cuts out and inputs fail every so often, requiring an alt-f4.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Just noticed this on the Paradox forums:

https://www.g2a.com/crusader-kings-2-dark-ages-global.html Might get removed soon, but here's a link to the shop page, and proof it's not just someone's photoshopped image.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Just noticed this on the Paradox forums:

https://www.g2a.com/crusader-kings-2-dark-ages-global.html Might get removed soon, but here's a link to the shop page, and proof it's not just someone's photoshopped image.

Somebody in that thread pointed out, in Poland, the first Crusader Kings was called 'Dark Ages,' and Crusader Kings 2 had 'Dark Ages' as it's subtitle. I mean, maybe that's the next expansion, but the evidence seems pretty thin right now, I don't think anybody can say just yet.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So yesterday I learned the potential downside of making a matrilineal marriage to the heir of another kingdom. I married a daughter the King of England's son and somehow the AI accepted it as matrilineal (I always tick the box just to see). THey had a son, who became king. My ruler died unexpectedly but luckily his wife was a regular baby factory and he had an heir, a genius one no less, but he was still a child. As soon as the child heir took the throne that rear end in a top hat relative of mine tried to press his claim on the throne of Ireland. It took my army plus two mercenary companies to shatter him but I won. What a jerk.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

catlord posted:

Somebody in that thread pointed out, in Poland, the first Crusader Kings was called 'Dark Ages,' and Crusader Kings 2 had 'Dark Ages' as it's subtitle. I mean, maybe that's the next expansion, but the evidence seems pretty thin right now, I don't think anybody can say just yet.

Oh. That's totally reasonable, but I just got so excited over an official Dark Ages DLC I rushed to post this here without checking the rest of the thread. :smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Oh. That's totally reasonable, but I just got so excited over an official Dark Ages DLC I rushed to post this here without checking the rest of the thread. :smith:

We had that already, it's called The Old Gods. I don't think they are going down that road again.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, that's clearly the Polish vanilla game box. The subtitle thing is also true. It all goes back to the fact that back in the day EU I and II were very popular in Poland, but the company making them was completely unknown, so the Polish publisher changed the title of Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron into "Europa Universalis: Mroczne Wieki" ("Europa Universalis: the Dark Ages") and "Europa Universalis: II Wojna Swiatowa" ("II World War"). The policy was dropped later on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey what gives! I've conquered Rome, yet the Pope still says he's reigining in Rome despite my Godis moving in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SynthOrange posted:

Hey what gives! I've conquered Rome, yet the Pope still says he's reigining in Rome despite my Godis moving in.

That means he is currently unlanded and in "Pope-dimension". So the game defaults to "reigning in Rome".

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
By the time CK3 comes out I'll have probably spent well over a hundred bucks on this game, even with sales. :negative:

I want CK3 to either be at least as feature-complete as CK2, or premiere an engine with AI that isn't more depressing than Marvin the android or won't poo poo itself every time Byzantium raises its levies (thought that last part might just be me, though my laptop is pretty beastly).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This game is going pretty well. Accomplished several goals I had set out. Multicultural Reformed Norse Scandinavia, done. Established several strong outposts in the Mediterranean? Done. Smashed Rome to bits? Done too. Still have to take out those loving Karlings though. They're a right pain in the rear end and never fight each other long enough for me to get anywhere tearing bits out of them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I started my first Raja game yesterday, I choose that budhist kingdom in Sri-Lanka and used the ruler designer.

Game starts, I marry the only woman available of my religion (lowborn) and wait for a son. My only two neighbours are hindu dukes, I have no CB on then. I put my diplomat to fabricate a claim on one of then.

Fast forward 5 years: still no son (or daughters), and still no CB. And absolutely nothing is happening, there is nothing I can do but to keep waiting. I quit out of boredom.

Am I missing something? Where are the cool things I can do as a raja? Did I pick the worst possible starting place?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 26, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elias_Maluco posted:

I started my first Raja game yesterday, I choose that budhist kingdom in Sri-Lanka and used the ruler designer.

Game starts, I marry the only woman available of my religion (lowborn) and wait for a son. My only two neighbours are hindu dukes, I have no CB on then. I put my diplomat the fabricate a claim on one of then.

Fast forward 5 years: still no son (or daughters), and still no CB. And absolutely nothing is happening, there is nothing I can do but to keep waiting. I quit out of boredom.

Am I missing something? Where are the cool things I can do as a raja? Did I pick the worst possible starting place?

Welcome to India. If you want to play as a Buddhist, I'd honestly recommend playing as Bengal instead, as they start with CB on some nearby counties that you can mess around with while you wait for the 500 piety needed for subjugation wars.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Elias_Maluco posted:

Game starts, I marry the only woman available of my religion (lowborn) and wait for a son.

It's kinda hilarious how incredibly few women there are in India in the Old Gods start. I guess game designers working in Sweden have a hard time finding historical information about the less important women of early medieval India, but given how India is a massive sausage-fest right now couldn't they have just made some up?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tomn posted:

It's kinda hilarious how incredibly few women there are in India in the Old Gods start. I guess game designers working in Sweden have a hard time finding historical information about the less important women of early medieval India, but given how India is a massive sausage-fest right now couldn't they have just made some up?

Yeah, Ive restarted twice and everytime and in both times there was 1 woman available.

I guess I will give up on Buddhists and instead try one of those Hindus to the west, close to the muslins. Ive hope there's more going on there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You can't just "present debutante"?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DrSunshine posted:

You can't just "present debutante"?

I guess I forgot about that option again.

EDIT: anyway, trying something different now: Ive started as the hindu independant count of Kasmira, bordering Afghanistan and some big hindu kingdom.

Can anyone give me some starting tips? Seems like I have a big chance of being attacked by Afghanistan really soon. Perhaps I should swear to the big hindu kingdom?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 26, 2014

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Speaking of India, I started a game there to get all them sweet achievements. Basically I have to do a world conquest, and everything is going pretty well. Only issue is handing out land. Usually when I give out land I do no ruler/no great house so as to not mix things up and lose the weird but semi pretty borders I've created. Problem is, due to the caste system or something else only 1/4 of the people that show up can be landed. The gurus are easy to pick out, but outside of that it is seemingly random as to who can get land and who can't. Thought it was the castes at first but that doesn't seem to be it. Does anyone know what the parameters are for Indians? I'm Hindu if that matters.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Has anybody got any working strategies for Socotra yet? That seems to still hold the title of "Hardest Start in CKII", other than that weird glitchy instant-death start in Pala where the historical files having the starting ruler 131 years old or something.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Step 1: Open console.
Step 2: Get event troops.
Step 3: Go hog wild.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Murdering your two eldest sons to get a genius first in line might be a bit cruel, but on the other hand:

:staredog:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eXXon posted:

Murdering your two eldest sons to get a genius first in line might be a bit cruel, but on the other hand:

I fail to see the problem with your actions :confused:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The first one was asking for it by climbing the towers of the castle.

Actually it's kind of funny that if you choose the 'teach a lesson option' - which I did, and which got him insta-killed - his death says 'murdered on your orders', but nobody actually gives a poo poo about it, not even his mother.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

I mean, you could of just excommunicated and castrated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

cryptoclastic posted:

Speaking of India, I started a game there to get all them sweet achievements. Basically I have to do a world conquest, and everything is going pretty well. Only issue is handing out land. Usually when I give out land I do no ruler/no great house so as to not mix things up and lose the weird but semi pretty borders I've created. Problem is, due to the caste system or something else only 1/4 of the people that show up can be landed. The gurus are easy to pick out, but outside of that it is seemingly random as to who can get land and who can't. Thought it was the castes at first but that doesn't seem to be it. Does anyone know what the parameters are for Indians? I'm Hindu if that matters.

You're sure it's not the castes? The castes can only take up holdings appropriate to them - Kshatriyas for castle holdings, Brahmins for temples, and Vaishyas for cities, so it's not a matter of "only kshatriyas can hold land" or something like that.

• Locked thread