Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

It's a common query that shows stuff to the user. It will be running frequently.
If you're just transforming the results, e.g. select cast(col as integer), that should have no performance impact.

Filtering on a computed value, e.g. where cast(col as integer) = ... , could cause serious slowdown but that can be fixed with a functional index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
fletcher, do you know why an admin would get an "Insufficient Privileges" message when trying to access any object page in Salesforce? I would assume they'd have access to everything.

I tried to access a page for an OpportunityContactRole object by going to the salesforce.com page, and it's popping that error. I sent the page "up the chain" to see if the super god admin guy at my company could access it, and he can't either.

edit: I guess those aren't considered "objects" but just relationships, so they don't have a page? The error message is misleading, though.

the fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 25, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

the posted:

fletcher, do you know why an admin would get an "Insufficient Privileges" message when trying to access any object page in Salesforce? I would assume they'd have access to everything.

I tried to access a page for an OpportunityContactRole object by going to the salesforce.com page, and it's popping that error. I sent the page "up the chain" to see if the super god admin guy at my company could access it, and he can't either.

edit: I guess those aren't considered "objects" but just relationships, so they don't have a page? The error message is misleading, though.

Are you referring to the standard list view for an object that uses the 3 letter object key prefix? (i.e. https://zzz.salesforce.com/001 for Accounts)

That list view is not supported for many objects, I think it might be the "layoutable" property that determines that, can't remember for sure though:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

2- Is there anything wrong with ODBC? I read some post dreading using "the horror that is ODBC" and now I'm curious (I forgot where I read that, probably yospos).

ODBC is mostly fine for simple stuff. It typically doesn't perform as well under heavy loads as native drivers but that's usually only an issue if you're shifting large data sets or are in a time-sensitive situation. It also typically doesn't support some of the smarter optimizations that native drivers can make, and often has limitations on things like string lengths, size of numeric fields, or other handy features.

If you're doing moderately complex SQL with a native driver and try to port to an ODBC driver, there's a fair chance that something is going to break. If you start with ODBC and stay with it you're probably fine. If you just want to get some data out of a database now and then, you're almost certainly fine. If you have the option of using a native driver that's usually preferable in the long run though.

Here are some examples of limitations you might encounter: Microsoft OLE ODBC Adapater, Teradata Studio

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Thank you. I was under the impression that ODBC was just a unified DB API and that it didn't affect data representation.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm glad this thread is around! I'm pretty weak with SQL (only use it to query fairly basic stuff from our database) but I'm hoping someone can save me a bit of time.

Here is a query I am running

SELECT Count(CASE WHEN d.xxx = 1 THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) AS AAA,
Sum(d.yyy) AS BBB,
Sum(d.zzz) AS CCC,
Count(DISTINCT d.xyz) AS DDD
FROM database d
WHERE d.country = 'greenland'
AND d.start_date <= '2014-08-10'
AND d.end_date >= '2014-08-11'

Basically I am looking at at event that occurs over the night of August 10. So as long as the start date is on or anytime before and the end date is after I want to count or sum a number of metrics.

This is easy enough for one date. However I want to see what is happening over multiple dates. As i'm a SQL novice I would just do the easiest way I know how which is to change the date each time and keep adding each days numbers into an excel spreadsheet.

My question is if there is an easier way to have this spit out the numbers for all days with each date written on a separate line. Lets say I want to check the four metrics over each day for the past three months (assuming that for each day the start is any day before and end is any day after).

How do I do this?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The "easiest" thing to do is probably build a table with the dates you're looking for and then join that to your query.

code:
Sum(d.yyy) AS BBB,
Sum(d.zzz) AS CCC,
Count(DISTINCT d.xyz) AS DDD,
dt.date
FROM database d,
dates dt
AND d.start_date <= dt.date
AND d.end_date >= dt.date+1
AND dt.date >= '2014-05-10'
AND dt.date < '2014-08-11'
group by dt.date
Depending on what RDMBS you are using, you can build that table on the fly using a recursive cte or whatever, but you didn't mention that in your post.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fists Up posted:

I'm glad this thread is around! I'm pretty weak with SQL (only use it to query fairly basic stuff from our database) but I'm hoping someone can save me a bit of time.

Here is a query I am running

Sum(d.yyy) AS BBB,
Sum(d.zzz) AS CCC,
Count(DISTINCT d.xyz) AS DDD
FROM database d

Basically I am looking at at event that occurs over the night of August 10. So as long as the start date is on or anytime before and the end date is after I want to count or sum a number of metrics.

This is easy enough for one date. However I want to see what is happening over multiple dates. As i'm a SQL novice I would just do the easiest way I know how which is to change the date each time and keep adding each days numbers into an excel spreadsheet.

My question is if there is an easier way to have this spit out the numbers for all days with each date written on a separate line. Lets say I want to check the four metrics over each day for the past three months (assuming that for each day the start is any day before and end is any day after).

How do I do this?
If there's an actual timestamp column for the event (rather than start/end dates as used in the WHERE clause, then try this:
code:
       Sum(d.yyy)            AS BBB, 
       Sum(d.zzz)            AS CCC, 
       d.Assumed_Date_Column
FROM   database d 
WHERE  d.country = 'greenland' 
GROUP BY
       d.Assumed_Date_Column

Anaxandrides
Jun 7, 2012

Every summer day in the desert is like a vacation in hell.

Nth Doctor posted:

If there's an actual timestamp column for the event (rather than start/end dates as used in the WHERE clause, then try this:
code:
       Sum(d.yyy)            AS BBB, 
       Sum(d.zzz)            AS CCC, 
       d.Assumed_Date_Column
FROM   database d 
WHERE  d.country = 'greenland' 
GROUP BY
       d.Assumed_Date_Column

Stating the obvious -- you wanna GROUP BY CONVERT(CHAR(10), d.Assumed_Date_Column, 101), GROUP BY CAST(d.Assumed_Date_Column AS DATE), or something similar, so that you don't get results for every millisecond.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

There actually isn't a timestamp that corresponds to what I want.

The event will start and end on any given day. It could last one day or it could last 4 weeks. The minute or hour doesn't matter just the day. For each given day I want to check which events are currently happening then.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Three things.

1. Thanks for this thread!

2. Can I get some SQL book suggestions so I don't have to bug you people for SQL help unless I really need to?

3. I'm using SQLite. It is slow. I can cope, but I think I can do better by changing over. Any suggestions in the open source world?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

No Gravitas posted:

3. I'm using SQLite. It is slow. I can cope, but I think I can do better by changing over. Any suggestions in the open source world?

SQLite is really good being an embedded, self-contained, portable, simple, mostly-sane transactional database engine. It's also everywhere. Use an Android or iOS device? It's there. Chrome or Firefox? There. You will find nothing similar to it that is embedded, self-contained or even remotely portable without major sacrifices.

Learn PostgreSQL next. Be prepared for a minor culture shock, as Postgres can be very unforgiving. It's way, way better than it used to be in that regard, though. The error messages are clear and the manual is awesome.

Then try out MySQL for half the features, a fraction of the sanity, a bit more speed if you sacrifice safety, and way, way more mindshare.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

No Gravitas posted:

Three things.

1. Thanks for this thread!

2. Can I get some SQL book suggestions so I don't have to bug you people for SQL help unless I really need to?

1. Your welcome
2. SQL anti-patterns
3. PostgreSQL, MySQL is poop

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I woke up last night in a cold sweat, because I realized I haven't been designing my new project's MySQL database with summer/wintertime in mind. How hosed am I?

I need event timestamps for dates (2014-08-13 etc) that always remain the same as when they were made. In other words, if I insert a CURDATE() into my DATE field in summertime, I need to get the same date (2014-08-13) back when I make a query on it in wintertime, six months later. Are DATEs fixed in MySQL?

I've also been storing more accurate timestamps as DATETIME, hoping it would still say "11:05" rather than switching to "10:05" or whatever when DST is disabled. My understanding is that only TIMESTAMP fields actually change with the timezone, but is this true for DST as well?

Another worry is that I export these fields using UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), since it makes converting it into Javascript Date objects easier. Initially I figured I could ignore timezones altogether, since this country only has one, but remembering summer/wintertime put me into panic mode. Luckily I have a few months to fix it before anything breaks down entirely.

Experimenting with setting session timezone makes me think UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATEfield) changes values with the timezone, so it should still work, but I need someone to reassure me that it works the same with DST changes, pretty please?

Or as an alternative, tell me what I should be using to flip dates between MySQL and Javascript to be less incompetent. :(

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I am still playing around with my folding@home site an I am realizing that every hour I am basically uploading 1.5 million new records (one record per FAH user) when in reality there's only about 10,000 active members whose data is changing.

What I'm thinking about doing is rewriting the code such that it will only add a new record if there has been a change to that users particular score. Thus any report would have to perform a max(timestamp) on any user that doesn't have any recent activity.

With a single row like this:

Table: User_Hourly_Summary
UserName | TeamNumber | TimeStamp | WorkUnits | Score

And a temp table like this:

Table: User_Current_Stats
UserName | TeamNumber | TimeStamp | WorkUnits | Score

A Primary Key Exists for both tables on (UserName, TeamNumber)

What's an efficient way of loading a row from User_Current_Stats into User_Hourly_Summay only if User_Hourly_Summary.Score < User_Current_Stats.Score for every unique UserName|TeamNumber combo?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agrikk posted:

What's an efficient way of loading a row from User_Current_Stats into User_Hourly_Summay only if User_Hourly_Summary.Score < User_Current_Stats.Score for every unique UserName|TeamNumber combo?

I'm poo poo with computers, but I will try.

It looks like you need to traverse the entire table this way, so the only way to speed this up is to reduce the number of rows to upload.

I presume that the score can only go up?

I'd keep a yet another tmp table, having it store only the updated records since the last time you uploaded, not the whole thing. Then upload the whole tmp table, replacing the records on the website with the ones in the tmp table.

Outcry of "No Gravitas is wrong, don't do this!" in 5... 4... 3...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

I woke up last night in a cold sweat, because I realized I haven't been designing my new project's MySQL database with summer/wintertime in mind. How hosed am I?
I think in your particular case, you'll be fine.

quote:

I need event timestamps for dates (2014-08-13 etc) that always remain the same as when they were made. In other words, if I insert a CURDATE() into my DATE field in summertime, I need to get the same date (2014-08-13) back when I make a query on it in wintertime, six months later. Are DATEs fixed in MySQL?

I've also been storing more accurate timestamps as DATETIME, hoping it would still say "11:05" rather than switching to "10:05" or whatever when DST is disabled. My understanding is that only TIMESTAMP fields actually change with the timezone, but is this true for DST as well?
Yes, DATE/DATETIME values are fixed values. "2014-08-13 10:10:04 PM" will always be "2014-08-13 10:10:04 PM." DATE/DATETIME has no notion of timezones.

The mysql documentation says the following in regards to TIMESTAMP:
code:
MySQL converts TIMESTAMP values from the current time zone to UTC for storage, and back from UTC to the current time zone for retrieval.
So yes, TIMESTAMP values should display different values depending on the server's timezone setting (including DST since it's just timezone shift.)

quote:

Another worry is that I export these fields using UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), since it makes converting it into Javascript Date objects easier. Initially I figured I could ignore timezones altogether, since this country only has one, but remembering summer/wintertime put me into panic mode. Luckily I have a few months to fix it before anything breaks down entirely.

Experimenting with setting session timezone makes me think UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATEfield) changes values with the timezone, so it should still work, but I need someone to reassure me that it works the same with DST changes, pretty please?

Mysql documentation says the following about the date parameter for UNIX_TIMESTAMP:
code:
The server interprets date as a value in the current time zone [...]
So it should be that if you're storing DATE/DATETIME values, the displayed time would always be the same. If you've stored a value as 10:00 PM during DST, the value would also be displayed as 10 PM outside of DST (when converting the unix time back to a date value using the same tz offset.) So this means that if you're gonna use unix time to create a JS Date object, the client must also be in the same timezone. Your profile says you're from Sweden, so let's say all of your users are from Sweden. One of your users uploads a widget or whatever at 8:00 AM Swedish time. Now the user is on a business trip to London and visits some internet cafe where the computers are set to London time and wants to review his widget upload.. Since he's in London, the JS will convert the time to whatever's the local time instead of display "8:00 AM Swedish time." Would the user be confused because he was expecting it to say "8:00 AM" because he knows that the displayed time should be based on Swedish time? I would think that he would be confused.

In JS, I don't know if you can convert unix time based on a specific tz offset; I think JS just grab's the client's tz, which would mean that dates could display differently (unless you're using some library that can handle that sort of thing?) But if you instead converted a string (like the raw DATETIME value) to a date object, then 10 PM will always display as 10 PM regardless of the user's tz (which is, I think, what you want.)

quote:

Or as an alternative, tell me what I should be using to flip dates between MySQL and Javascript to be less incompetent. :(
I guess it just depends on your application and user base.. Ideally, one would want to store dates in UTC or unix time and convert accordingly; however, if you know you'll never have to convert these date/datetime values to that of another timezone's and if you know that your users will be from the same timezone and if 9:02 AM must be displayed as 9:02 AM no matter the timezone or DST or whatever, then I would just do what you're doing now. The only immediate flaw I see is the one I mentioned above about the client's tz.

At my workplace, all of our dates are stored as DATE/DATETIME in PST, and we don't account for DST. In our case, it's not important. "99%" of our users are from the Pacific coast, and the other 1% understand that the times are PST-based. We can't say for certain whether we'll ever have to convert timezones, but we're more than confident we won't need to, so we haven't worried about making our dates more robust. (From a data integrity standpoint, it's not a good idea, but... whatever :v:) Oh, and if any of my statements/logic above is horribly incorrect, I apologize in advance. :downs:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

krnhotwings posted:

I think in your particular case, you'll be fine.

Thanks. It's for an office internal report app thing, so any users would be aware of the Sweden-centricity of it. Seems it'll keep working fine, so for now I'll leave it as is, and make sure to take a close look once we push back the clocks in fall. Luckily it's not juggling money, which makes it a fairly safe way to gain experience in time travel.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a way to do a query that says "Show me all that DO NOT start with X?"

I want to see all phone numbers that don't start with a parenthesis. The query that shows ones that do looks like this:

code:
SELECT Id FROM Account WHERE Phone LIKE '(%'
And I want to do the opposite.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Just gotta add a NOT in front of that LIKE.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Chill Callahan posted:

Just gotta add a NOT in front of that LIKE.

quote:

MALFORMED_QUERY:
Id FROM Account WHERE Phone NOT LIKE '(%'
^
ERROR at Row:1:Column:39
unexpected token: LIKE

I'm using the Salesforce Workbench. Maybe it doesn't allow that?

edit: This worked:

code:
SELECT Id FROM Account WHERE NOT (Phone LIKE '(%')

the fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
And now I am trying to modify that query. The following are all throwing up errors:

code:
SELECT Id FROM Account  WHERE RecordType.Name IN ('Government') AND NOT (Phone LIKE '(%')
code:
SELECT Id FROM Account  WHERE RecordType.Name IN ('Government') WHERE NOT (Phone LIKE '(%')
code:
SELECT Id FROM Account  WHERE RecordType.Name IN ('Government') WHERE AND NOT (Phone LIKE '(%')
code:
SELECT Id FROM Account  WHERE RecordType.Name IN ('Government') AND WHERE NOT (Phone LIKE '(%')
Edit:

This works:

code:
SELECT Id FROM Account  WHERE RecordType.Name IN ('Government') AND (NOT (Phone LIKE '(%'))

the fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 14, 2014

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Salesforce code is like the Uncanny Valley of SQL.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Edit: huh, nevermind i guess. looks like LIKE will utilize the index if you have one on the Phone column while LEFT will not. If you don't have an index on the column then it doesn't matter

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

-S- posted:

Edit: huh, nevermind i guess. looks like LIKE will utilize the index if you have one on the Phone column while LEFT will not. If you don't have an index on the column then it doesn't matter

Like is an operator, Left() is a function.

With few exceptions a function will not use an index on the column.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Xae posted:

Like is an operator, Left() is a function.

With few exceptions a function will not use an index on the column.

Postgres does function indexes because it is the best :allears:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Okay, SQL idiot here....

I am using sqlite3. The bug_map and cve_map tables are junction tables.

This works (one junction table, bug_map):
code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       JOIN bug_map
         ON changes.rowid = bug_map.change
       JOIN categories
         ON changes.category = categories.rowid
       JOIN components
         ON changes.component = components.rowid
       JOIN kernels
         ON changes.kernel = kernels.rowid
       JOIN bugs
         ON bug_map.bug = bugs.rowid;
Adding the second junction table (cve_maps) breaks it:
code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       cves.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       JOIN bug_map
       JOIN bugs
         ON bug_map.bug = bugs.rowid
       JOIN cve_map
         ON changes.rowid = cve_map.change
       JOIN cves
         ON cve_map.cve = cves.rowid
       JOIN categories
       JOIN components
       JOIN kernels
Using just the cve_map join instead of the bug_map join works, so I don't think there is an issue with either specific table.

I am pretty excited I mangled enough python to parse data and then create and populate these tables, but now I am not sure I will ever get the data back out :o .

Is it simply not allowed to work with more than one junction table or do I need some other syntax?

...also I just noticed that it only returns rows where there is a match in the junction tables. God drat it....

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Okay, SQL idiot here....

I am using sqlite3. The bug_map and cve_map tables are junction tables.

This works (one junction table, bug_map):
code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       JOIN bug_map
       JOIN categories
       JOIN components
       JOIN kernels
       JOIN bugs
         ON bug_map.bug = bugs.rowid;
Adding the second junction table (cve_maps) breaks it:
code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       cves.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       JOIN bug_map
       JOIN bugs
       JOIN cve_map
       JOIN cves
       JOIN categories
       JOIN components
       JOIN kernels
Using just the cve_map join instead of the bug_map join works, so I don't think there is an issue with either specific table.

I am pretty excited I mangled enough python to parse data and then create and populate these tables, but now I am not sure I will ever get the data back out :o .

Is it simply not allowed to work with more than one junction table or do I need some other syntax?

...also I just noticed that it only returns rows where there is a match in the junction tables. God drat it....

I'm phone posting. If you want rows to come back regardless of if there are matches in the mapping tables, switch their JOINs to be LEFT OUTER JOINS both for the mapping tables themselves, and the chain of tables you join to the mapping tables (bugs and cves).
If you only want rows where either there is bug or cve hits, then add a check in the WHERE clause like:
AND (bugs.rowid IS NOT NULL OR cves.rowid IS NOT NULL)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm phone posting. If you want rows to come back regardless of if there are matches in the mapping tables, switch their JOINs to be LEFT OUTER JOINS both for the mapping tables themselves, and the chain of tables you join to the mapping tables (bugs and cves).
If you only want rows where either there is bug or cve hits, then add a check in the WHERE clause like:
AND (bugs.rowid IS NOT NULL OR cves.rowid IS NOT NULL)

Ah, thank you.

It seems to work if I change everything to a left outer join???
code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       cves.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       LEFT OUTER JOIN bug_map
       LEFT OUTER JOIN bugs
       LEFT OUTER JOIN cve_map
       LEFT OUTER JOIN cves
       LEFT OUTER JOIN categories
       LEFT OUTER JOIN components
       LEFT OUTER JOIN kernels
         ON changes.kernel = kernels.rowid;

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Ah, thank you.

code:
SELECT changes.rowid,
       changes.kernel,
       changes.component,
       changes.category,
       changes.value,
       bugs.value,
       cves.value,
       categories.value,
       components.value,
       kernels.value,
       kernels.date
  FROM changes
       LEFT OUTER JOIN bug_map
       LEFT OUTER JOIN bugs
       LEFT OUTER JOIN cve_map
       LEFT OUTER JOIN cves
       LEFT OUTER JOIN categories
       LEFT OUTER JOIN components
       LEFT OUTER JOIN kernels
         ON changes.kernel = kernels.rowid;

That *could* work but it may not be what you want. The difference between JOIN and LEFT OUTER JOIN is that JOINs say: "give me everything that matches between these two tables" whereas LOJ's are "Give me everything in the first table, and oh by the way if something in the second table matches up, then give me that, too". You probably only need LOJ's on bug_map, bugs, cve_map, and cves
That query, then would give you a list of all changes, and possibly their bugs and cves.

Anaxandrides
Jun 7, 2012

Every summer day in the desert is like a vacation in hell.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Ah, thank you.

code:
SQLLala

Just to be ask, have you spot-checked individual changes to make sure that they're writing to both bugs and cves? Are these intended to be different result sets? I can't really see why a change would write to both, but your join mandates it. If I were you, rather than LEFT JOINING out the wazoo, I'd UNION these results together if they're meant to have a similar result structure, but different query structure to get there.

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Ah, thank you.

Joins can be a bit difficult to wrap your mind around, but here's a great page I used to understand the differences: http://blog.codinghorror.com/a-visual-explanation-of-sql-joins/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is another academic question that I've already solved in code using regexes, but I'm wondering how viable it is to solve in MSSQL 2008. The idea is I wanted to find duplicate words within a varchar, so something like this being the data:
code:
Paris in the the spring
It was the best of times it was the worst of times
PAK CHOOIE UNF
The idea being the select would grab the rows that had repeated words in them. I started doing it in my head with a split function and some other stuff but realized this was getting too hairy. I'm not looking for an implementation specifically (I actually quite like what I have currently), but more confirmation I guess that doing this in SQL would have been a Bad Idea.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Scaramouche posted:

This is another academic question that I've already solved in code using regexes, but I'm wondering how viable it is to solve in MSSQL 2008. The idea is I wanted to find duplicate words within a varchar, so something like this being the data:
code:
Paris in the the spring
It was the best of times it was the worst of times
PAK CHOOIE UNF
The idea being the select would grab the rows that had repeated words in them. I started doing it in my head with a split function and some other stuff but realized this was getting too hairy. I'm not looking for an implementation specifically (I actually quite like what I have currently), but more confirmation I guess that doing this in SQL would have been a Bad Idea.

My first inclination is like yours: use a split function to turn this into a tabluar structure, then do something like:
SELECT COUNT(*), F.word :v:
FROM fn_split(@Sentence, ' ') AS F
GROUP BY F.word :laugh:
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

where fn_split is something crazy that I'd rather not think about. Like:
code:
CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].fn_split
(
  @String VARCHAR(MAX),
  @Delimiter VARCHAR(1)
)
RETURNS @Results  TABLE(Word VARCHAR(MAX))
AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @XML AS XML
SET @XML = CAST(('<X>'+REPLACE(@String,@Delimiter ,'</X><X>')+'</X>') AS XML)

INSERT @Results
SELECT N.value('.', 'varchar(max)') AS 'Word' FROM @XML.nodes('X') AS T(N);
RETURN
END

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Nth Doctor posted:

where fn_split is something crazy that I'd rather not think about.
Like unnest(string_to_array(f,' ')) in PostgreSQL since 8.4? Just fire up some silly ODBC foreign data wrapper to read the table, and the result is yours!

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephen posted:

Joins can be a bit difficult to wrap your mind around, but here's a great page I used to understand the differences: http://blog.codinghorror.com/a-visual-explanation-of-sql-joins/

One thing I don't like about using Venn Diagrams for explaining joins is that it ignores the way joins can be multiplicative even if they aren't Cartesian. SQL joins are not the same as set intersections because given two tables and a (composite or single) join key, neither list of join keys is required to be a set, let alone both. In effect, the diagram buries the difference between a semi-join and a regular join (neither of which can be usefully Venn diagrammed by themselves). This sometimes puts the wrong mental image in people's heads; I know I've personally made the mistake a few times when changing code from semi-joins to regular joins or vice versa.

e.g.
code:
select a.*, b.* 
from a inner join b on a.some_id = b.some_id
does not necessarily imply an intersection of rows on a one-to-one basis, something which will come up all the time in PK->FK relations. It could be one-to-many, or many-to-many. In the blog he sort of cheats by having both tables be unique on "name" which is, if anything, the opposite of the usual scenario. I suppose the diagram might useful as a representation of "what portion of the table will be represented in the join table" (in which case Cartesian is just the same diagram as full outer), but not of the actual join table itself.

FieryBalrog fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 26, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I have a postgres database that I need to replicate across a dozen servers.

Except half of the servers are airgapped from the other, no direct connections permitted. I can automate a file transfer but direct db connections will never be permitted.

Uhh... any suggestions?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
So let's say I have Book records, where each record has

Id (int), Title (String), DuplicateTitleAllowed (boolean).

There may any number of books with the same Title with DuplicateTitleAllowed set to true. We just can't create a record with that flag set to false if its title collides with another record that happens to allow duplicates.

I don't want to explicitly lock an table. I'm using MySql 5.1 with InnoDB, if that helps.

Suggestions? One way to look at this is that I want a unique constraint on Title that only applies when DuplicateTitledAllowed is false. Another way to look at this is that I want to make a conditional insert - a problem that seems pretty common going by Google, but doesn't have any good solutions posted.

The problem I'm trying to prevent is a race condition where two transactions may concurrently SELECT * WHERE Title='someTitle' AND DuplicateTitleAllowed=false, see that such a record does not exist, then insert a new Book record, each with Title='someTitle' and DuplicateTitleAllowed=false.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Safe and Secure! posted:

So let's say I have Book records, where each record has

Id (int), Title (String), DuplicateTitleAllowed (boolean).

There may any number of books with the same Title with DuplicateTitleAllowed set to true. We just can't create a record with that flag set to false if its title collides with another record that happens to allow duplicates.

I don't want to explicitly lock an table. I'm using MySql 5.1 with InnoDB, if that helps.

Suggestions? One way to look at this is that I want a unique constraint on Title that only applies when DuplicateTitledAllowed is false. Another way to look at this is that I want to make a conditional insert - a problem that seems pretty common going by Google, but doesn't have any good solutions posted.

The problem I'm trying to prevent is a race condition where two transactions may concurrently SELECT * WHERE Title='someTitle' AND DuplicateTitleAllowed=false, see that such a record does not exist, then insert a new Book record, each with Title='someTitle' and DuplicateTitleAllowed=false.

Sounds like a job for a trigger.
http://www.sqlite.org/lang_createtrigger.html

EDIT: Actually with 100% more of the database you are actually using.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/trigger-syntax.html

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Don't use triggers.