Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I was the same way, except for Toyonoshima :stare: because I must have made that same face.

I've always said wrestling Toyonoshima must feel like wrestling a wet noodle, because dude has yoga levels of flexibility for a little short marshmallow dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zagd8WwVhUw

I don't think I spoil anything by saying Hakuho-Osunaarashi was the bout of the day

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That was a really cool day, lower bouts excepted.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: http://youtu.be/I33yeTcf__4

Toyonoshima pulls a win out of his rear end again!

Endo-Osunaarashi was pretty drat good.

Where the gently caress was this Aoiyama last week?

Gyoji bowling! :neckbeard:

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 21, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

efb by literally seconds

Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku are now 16-16 against each other. Possibly the best rivalry we have going in the sanyaku ranks at the moment, although Kisenosato's ability to upset Hakuho and Yoshikaze's dominance of Harumafuji always have you on the edge of your seat as well.

Ikioi looked like Kramer during the WC final after that match.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 10: http://youtu.be/j88uKi57Nqc

Pretty boring except for one match.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Takayasu has a shot at stealing this one. It's getting to the point where they will have to cancel a top level match to have him face an Ozeki. I'm really surprised that they have Kisenosato facing the 2-8 Tamawashi instead of Takayasu tomorrow.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Hc0kQqpq0

All I'm going to say is, holy poo poo sumo, once again you never let me down. What an awesome day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Day 12 is gonna be raaaaad.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

All I want for Christmas is for Aoiyama to absorb Baruto's spirit and get good at Sumo.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Can I get a quick guide on when it's appropriate to throw a seat cushion?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Quantrill posted:

Can I get a quick guide on when it's appropriate to throw a seat cushion?

When a M (Maegashira) ranked guy beats a Yokozuna. Or whenever it looks like Hakuho isn't going to sweep the hell out of the basho and people get excited.

For some reason, they have set this up where Kisenosato is included in the final 3 day round robin of the Yokozuna as the '4th guy', even though Kotoshogiku is in a winning position.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

When a M (Maegashira) ranked guy beats a Yokozuna. Or whenever it looks like Hakuho isn't going to sweep the hell out of the basho and people get excited.

Okay, that's what I thought, so why didn't Osunaarashi get any thrown (at least any shown in the videos)? Is he not popular?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Quantrill posted:

Okay, that's what I thought, so why didn't Osunaarashi get any thrown (at least any shown in the videos)? Is he not popular?

He wasn't the last fight of the day. Usually it only happens on the last fight of the day, so the staff doesn't have to clean up zabuton between fights.
I think yesterday was kind of an exception. From the PA in the arena, I think you're not supposed to ever throw zabuton, so its really the excitement of the people.

Today I looked at Oitekaze heya's website, and its totally geocities style.
The wrestler page is pretty hilarious:

http://oitekaze.com/rikisi.html

And here is Abiko's page who is 20-0 in his career so far:
http://oitekaze.com/aviko.html

Favorite Food: Marshmallows

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
The image rollover change is hilariously bizarre.

I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't also change on rollover on the individual wrestler's pages, too. :(

As for the zabuton throwing, it is technically very against the rules of conduct to throw them but very few people get really up in arms about it. Though I do enjoy it immensely. It gives a sense of fanfare to the event of a Yokozuna being beaten. Like confetti but way better and also potentially injurious.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 23, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Is something up with Haramafuji? Kinda looked like he didn't really want to put any force on it.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Sad to hear about Takonoyama's retirement.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Today I looked at Oitekaze heya's website, and its totally geocities style.
The wrestler page is pretty hilarious:

http://oitekaze.com/rikisi.html

And here is Abiko's page who is 20-0 in his career so far:
http://oitekaze.com/aviko.html

Favorite Food: Marshmallows

That's hilarious. Everyone else has normal favorite foods... fish, meat, udon, soba, seafood, okonomiyaki, etc... and then you've got Abiko with marshmallows and Endo with chocolate. gently caress protein, sugar's where it's at to be a strong rikishi.

Takanoyama was so much fun to watch. I wish he could have survived in Makuuchi because he was always good for a glorious win or losing in a blaze of glory. Araibira has a great highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gp_mhW6yLk

Harumafuji may have a nagging injury nobody knows about. He used to have a lot of injury problems, yet lately he's been on a long streak without missing a match.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Epic battles on Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXEjNQEoPw

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
This is only my 2nd basho to watch, but between Day 11 and Chiyomaru/Joukouryuu I think I'm hooked.

edit: yeah, day 12 is awesome.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Well we can be pretty sure that 1 Sekiwake and both Kosumbi are sunk this basho. But who will replace them? The race is super tight. Oosunaarashi, Endo, and Terunofuji all have a chance. Most impressive has been Oosuna, just by the fact he was actually in the meatgrinder (top 15 face all) and the other two were not.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Well we can be pretty sure that 1 Sekiwake and both Kosumbi are sunk this basho. But who will replace them? The race is super tight. Oosunaarashi, Endo, and Terunofuji all have a chance. Most impressive has been Oosuna, just by the fact he was actually in the meatgrinder (top 15 face all) and the other two were not.

Meat grinder and two kinboshi and nearly a third. If he finishes strong he may well be sanyaku.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
he's still got to take 2 out of his final 3 and he's got kotoshogiku next. i really want him to get his KK, but it's not going to be easy.

also, don't forget takekaze. he's at M4 and already has his KK.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-A5j6XFZvQ&list=UUsyhbQggi0M3t_DMePOLgSw

Ouch, tough luck for Aminishiki.

Kotoshogiku :black101: Osunaarashi got LAUNCHED outta there.

I know you have 4 losses and really needed a win, but WTF Harumafuji?

Hakuho-Kisenosato was one hell of a main event.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 25, 2014

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Well then... let the games begin.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
:stare: :stare: :stare:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Love seeing Ichinojo on the big stage

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just found out Osunaarashi was born in 1992 :stare:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

I also let out a big "WAAAAAOOOWWW".

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just found out Osunaarashi was born in 1992 :stare:

God drat, I'm old. :(

Also, holy poo poo Day 13!

Funkysauce posted:

I also let out a big "WAAAAAOOOWWW".

I threw my hands in the air and had to stifle myself since I'm watching it at work and while my boss doesn't care, it would be poor form.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I seriously thought Hakuho had this thing in the bag. Incredible how quickly that unraveled, and not for lack of effort on his part.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Holy poo poo :stare:

This has been one of the best tournaments since Harumafuji's yokozuna run.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Funkysauce posted:

Sad to hear about Takonoyama's retirement.

In honor, I may as well link this article I found earlier in the week:
http://www.ozy.com/performance/takanoyama-shuntaro-the-skinny-side-of-sumo/32428.article

Anyone have that awesome video of his best matches lying around?

:getin:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I started watching sumo on Day 11 and while I don't know much of what's going on it looks like a picked a good time to start watching.

I have a question on something I saw in day 13:

Why did the crowd boo and the commentators disapprove of the match which Harumafuji won? Also who were they booing exactly, the winner or loser?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

net work error posted:

I started watching sumo on Day 11 and while I don't know much of what's going on it looks like a picked a good time to start watching.

Why did the crowd boo and the commentators disapprove of the match which Harumafuji won? Also who were they booing exactly, the winner or loser?

They thought Harumafuji did a henka, which should be "beneath" a yokozuna. It's all bullshit though, gently caress the crowds and commentators. Henkas own.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

quote:

He was using a tactic called a "henka", where you step to the side at the start and hope the opponent overcommits. It's traditionally considered cheap or dishonorable, especially when used by top level wrestlers like Harumafuji.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They thought Harumafuji did a henka, which should be "beneath" a yokozuna. It's all bullshit though, gently caress the crowds and commentators. Henkas own.

Konstantin posted:

He was using a tactic called a "henka", where you step to the side at the start and hope the opponent overcommits. It's traditionally considered cheap or dishonorable, especially when used by top level wrestlers like Harumafuji.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Iris of Ether posted:

In honor, I may as well link this article I found earlier in the week:
http://www.ozy.com/performance/takanoyama-shuntaro-the-skinny-side-of-sumo/32428.article

Anyone have that awesome video of his best matches lying around?

I posted it sometime in the last few days, but here it is again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gp_mhW6yLk

Probably should OP that thing.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There was a shoulder-to-shoulder collision, and Harumafuji juuust went enough to the side to grab the back of Kakuryu's mawashi and hurl him out. It happened so fast that it looked like a henka, but it was anything but "blatant". The top-down view made it very obvious that there was no sidestep. But to anyone in the crowd watching tiny LEGO figurines going at it without any replay, I can see why they'd think so. Plus, I'm sure they waited all day and wanted a yokozuna match that lasted longer than 0.83 seconds, like Kise vs Hakuho.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Plus, I'm sure they waited all day and wanted a yokozuna match that lasted longer than 0.83 seconds, like Kise vs Hakuho.

I've found it is more this than the henka. Generally, if you go for the whole day's matches (and you should because even the lower level guys deserve a crowd's encouragement) by the time the big matches come on at night, the anticipation is so high that people will genuinely feel ripped off if the bouts go short. Never mind it is a sport where the average match length isn't very long anyway, but this goes doubly-so if any perceived "short cut" is taken to end the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevermore
May 11, 2003

the pointy end of the asp
Slippery Tilde
What is Kotooshu's role near the entrance? He stands in the shadows but never seems to interact with anyone.

Regarding Harumafuji, the English commentators on the live feed called that "the Harumafuji henka" and that Kakuryu should have fully expected it considering Harumafuji's history. Like how Goeido handled Takekaze's and then handed him his rear end :nyd:.