Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Bown posted:

....huh? Do you mean Virginia?

Yes, I didn't mean her name was Mary Sue, a Mary Sue character is a term used for characters that are usually but not always an author writing an idealized version of themselves into something. In the show Virginia is just so perfectly progressive it's eye rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Hey look they're bringing Firefly back! In potentially the shittiest way possible!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Man just that premise alone is dumb. Firefly fans need to just give it up already.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I thought you must be joking since they already did comic books, but here we are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midnight City posted:

Yes, I didn't mean her name was Mary Sue, a Mary Sue character is a term used for characters that are usually but not always an author writing an idealized version of themselves into something. In the show Virginia is just so perfectly progressive it's eye rolling.

I know what a Mary Sue is, I was confused as to how it applied to Virginia. I don't think she's especially progressive, really. The show seems to suggest that most women feel the same as her but most of them are just crushed/stifled by the society like Beau Bridges is, or they don't even know they felt it until they realised they were allowed to. They definitely had a problem with idealising her in general in the early episodes of season 1, but I think it's toned down now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They announced that game like 6 years ago.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I hate every ape I see

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I hate every ape I see

From chimpan-a to chimpan-z?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Grape Ape was Great. :colbert:

Photographic evidence:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna say a thing about Community but I demand you not talk about Community because it is incidental.

Yahoo said they are going to release Community weekly and not all at once. I *think* this is the first time that a (non-ad driven) streaming service has released content like that, and I think it's a huuuuge mistake. Netflix has said time and time again that people prefer to binge watch and I'm not sure what Yahoo hopes to gain by doing the week to week thing.

Basically if you are a streaming service and you aren't slavishly copying everything Netflix does w/r/t its business and content model, you are loving up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

No you'll never make a monkey out of me...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh my god! I was wrong!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Oh my god! I was wrong!

It was Earth all along?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I'm gonna say a thing about Community but I demand you not talk about Community because it is incidental.

Yahoo said they are going to release Community weekly and not all at once. I *think* this is the first time that a (non-ad driven) streaming service has released content like that, and I think it's a huuuuge mistake. Netflix has said time and time again that people prefer to binge watch and I'm not sure what Yahoo hopes to gain by doing the week to week thing.

Basically if you are a streaming service and you aren't slavishly copying everything Netflix does w/r/t its business and content model, you are loving up.

Their logic is probably that it'll bring people back to their service every week, as opposed to people binging the whole show over a couple days and then never going back to Yahoo Screen again. But I agree with you tbh.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you've fin'lly made a monkey...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

you've fin'lly made a monkey...

yes you finally made a monkey...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yes you've fin-ly-made-a-mon-key-out-of-meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

zoux posted:

Isn't that how Netflix did their first series or two?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lillehammer was afaik their first original series and it was all-at-once.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

Yes you've fin-ly-made-a-mon-key-out-of-meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I LOVE YOU DOCTOR ZAIUS

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

raditts posted:

Isn't that how Netflix did their first series or two?

From what I remember, Netflix's first show was Lilyhammer and it came out all at once.

Has there been confirmation that Community on Yahoo Screen will be ad-free?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I defeat a mod at posting do I get his star?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

If I defeat a mod at posting do I get his star?

You have to eat his heart to gain his powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know how useful forums invisibility would be.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I don't know how useful forums invisibility would be.

You could just walk right into any forum and steal all the shitposts without anyone knowing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

You could just walk right into any forum and steal all the shitposts without anyone knowing.

Those are already stored in one convenient place :twisted:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Does anyone else watch Major Crimes? It's one of those shows that isn't really TVIV material (procedural, crime drama, direct successor to The Closer), but it's consistently great, mainly because of the strength of their characters. Anyway, last week they introduced the Special Operations team of the LAPD led by AndreaLaurie Holden and it was a really good episode.

TNT is doing an online poll with some of it's shows recently called the TV Inner Circle (The Last Ship is one), and there was an extensive poll for Major Crimes today, indicating they're thinking about spinning out another show in the Closer/Major Crimes universe centered on the SO team and possibly getting Jon Tenney's Fritz Howard to lead the team. Which may or may not be a good idea - I'm not confident on Laurie Holden's ability to carry a TV show but her character at least seemed smart and confident (with a tragic past). The SWAT characters they introduced were great, though, including one I'm sure posts in YLLS.

So, um. That's a thing. The end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

Its on some "FYI" channel. I wouldn't exactly call that real.
They already posted the first episode to their YouTube channel. I watched it and it was kinda boring. Harley goes to an elementary school class and brings a robot made of fast food burgers for the kids.
Not like this......not like this :negative:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3eL1sZxuI&t=23s

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I disagree completely. This is one of those situations where I think you have to analyze the data a bit more than just "people use our service in this way." I mean, there are definitely times that I wished I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode of Fargo, Sleepy Hollow, or Arrow, but that doesn't mean that it's smart as a content provider to allow access in such a way. Releasing episodes week to week allows you to build up tension, and as a result builds excitement in your audience. A show like House of Cards has none of that. Every cliffhanger can be resolved by pressing the Next Episode button. Honestly, this is why I think that, years from now, we won't remember House of Cards in the same way we do The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, or Fargo. The former was just sort of a flash in the pan as far as pop culture goes. People talked about it for a couple weeks and then it dropped off the radar, owing in part to the fact that it was more of a long movie than a TV show. In comparison, The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad managed to build themselves into event television. They both dominated popular culture for months at a time, in a way that House of Cards could never hope to achieve in a dozen seasons.

Note: Very little of what I just said applies to 30 minute comedies. :shrug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Counter-point: Orange is the New Black has been very successful and continued its hype for a while after each season had finished.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I disagree completely. :words:

It's worth noting a couple of things for either side:

1.) It's arguable that Orange Is the New Black has done a much better job of keeping the momentum you speak of going (Bown, of course, is far quicker on the draw here), and

2.) Amazon Prime originals like Alpha House (getting a second season) release on a week to week basis. Alpha House hasn't gotten a hell of a lot of traction, but it's got a second season, and I suspect the new crop of shows are going to do better (though I'm pulling this suspicion directly out of my rear end, so feel free to disagree).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I know competition is good and all that jazz but I couldn't give a poo poo about streaming sites that aren't Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

I know competition is good and all that jazz but I couldn't give a poo poo about streaming sites that aren't Netflix.

Well, I'm primed for Bosch, Transparent, and Mozart in the Jungle. Transparent, in particular, is something you're going to be seeing a LOT of critics talk about, whether they end up liking or hating the series as a whole. And while Bosch doesn't do much outside the boundaries of a long-form police procedural (to the point where not everyone's going to like it), it does what it does so drat well I have trouble caring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mozart in the Jungle seemed like it could be rad but also maybe sorta generic. Which one was Transparent again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mozart in the Jungle is the first time I've ever thought that a TV show was written specifically for me to enjoy and nobody else. Bosch looks good too. The rest of their new shows are things I'll probably never watch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think they've confirmed it, but Community will totally have ads. I don't see why it wouldn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

I find it hard to justify getting a paid prime membership when I can get the free 2 day shipping on a guest prime account. I'm just not aware of Amazon having anything Netflix doesn't aside from some original content I'm not very interested in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

I find it hard to justify getting a paid prime membership when I can get the free 2 day shipping on a guest prime account. I'm just not aware of Amazon having anything Netflix doesn't aside from some original content I'm not very interested in.

HBO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I dropped Netflix after House of Cards season two. Will pick it back up when season three starts. I use Amazon Prime frequently. Way more than I did Netflix.

• Locked thread