Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ozz81 posted:

The Metro UI sucks but you can still set up a scheduled task in about 2 minutes that lets you bypass the UI and go straight to the desktop. MS I believe will be releasing another patch/SP next month that'll bring back full taskbar and Start menu functionality too (until then there's always Classic Shell or something similar).

I get that people don't like the 8 UI, and some apps might not be supported - but outside that, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Most folks just throw their hands up and bitch for the sake of hearing themselves bitch, because 10 minutes of research is "too hard".

Oh I got my 10 minutes and i'm fairly sure I can use it, but its a bunch of dumb pitfalls and it does nothing (that I know of) better than 7 does. Plus if I get a bit reckless and swipe on a clients machine it brings up the metro UI. I'm not talking about my own machine that I can change around on a whim here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

FireSight posted:

I agree, this is high impact. Get that mans game running immediately!

He even had manager approval. I'm so glad I graduated from a renowned polytechnic so that I'm qualified to install video games for some rear end in a top hat.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 25, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A reopened ticket came in.

Labeling device (won't go into specifics) printing "too many labels" on production runs.

I get on site, go through the motions and it works fine.

Client comes up in a huff yelling about how the equipment is crap.

I point out I can't reproduce the issue and ask her to do it. She proceeds to just HAMMER the key board quicker than these poor (sadly, old) labellers can handle and she's essentially hitting "enter" twice, hence the extra label.

Closed ticket. User error.

She refuses to acknowledge that it's her and is now DEMANDING a new piece of equipment (which ain't gonna happen, these things aren't cheap).

I don't know what to do. No one else in the department has a problem with the equipment and they weren't even aware there was a problem (been using it fine because there. Is. No. Problem.) until she came storming in. Of course she's the department manager.

Argh.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

A reopened ticket came in.

Labeling device (won't go into specifics) printing "too many labels" on production runs.

I get on site, go through the motions and it works fine.

Client comes up in a huff yelling about how the equipment is crap.

I point out I can't reproduce the issue and ask her to do it. She proceeds to just HAMMER the key board quicker than these poor (sadly, old) labellers can handle and she's essentially hitting "enter" twice, hence the extra label.

Closed ticket. User error.

She refuses to acknowledge that it's her and is now DEMANDING a new piece of equipment (which ain't gonna happen, these things aren't cheap).

I don't know what to do. No one else in the department has a problem with the equipment and they weren't even aware there was a problem (been using it fine because there. Is. No. Problem.) until she came storming in. Of course she's the department manager.

Argh.

Take it out of her budget.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

m.hache posted:

Take it out of her budget.

Give her a sheet of blank labels and a sharpie.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A ticket went out... to another department in my organization.

They just finished rolling out a brand new website that all employees have to interact with in order to do the mandatory training that is a part of working here.

quote:

The ____ team has been made aware of some common problems that users are experiencing. In order to respond to the issues that have been presented, some information has been assembled to help users troubleshoot.

Internet Explorer 8 is the preferred browser when navigating the _____ system. Firefox will not work. The _____ website will tell you that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements if you try to access it using Firefox. You can copy and paste the link directly into Internet Explorer from the email. It is suggested that you bookmark the page (Ctrl+D) to avoid having to track it down in the future.

loving seriously, guys? After a decade of businesses having to deal with legacy internal websites that only work on [ancient version of IE that only installs on a depreciated version of windows], you decide that your new site should learn none of these lessons?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sounds like a job for user agent switcher.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Sounds like a job for user agent switcher.

This is, in fact, what they recommend doing if you're using safari.

It's an easy fix, but I'm just frustrated it's necessary in the first place, especially since a lot of their users aren't savvy enough to know about browser user agents in the first place.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 25, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although someone will probably defend Zebra printers gently caress Zebra printers. :colbert:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dick Trauma posted:

Although someone will probably defend Zebra printers gently caress Zebra printers. :colbert:

It's made our equipment manager's life easier for shipping labels but it's a temperamental little bastard

Thanks FedEx! Oh and your shipping software is terrible

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress zebra and gently caress dymo printers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

gently caress zebra and gently caress dymo printers.

gently caress HP printers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brother TZ series and QL for life.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

m.hache posted:

gently caress HP printers.

gently caress printers.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Seravadon posted:

gently caress printers.

I'd rather not get toner on my dick, thanks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dogstile posted:

it does nothing (that I know of) better than 7 does.

Smaller resource footprint, better file management (like copy, etc), storage spaces.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We're testing a new system for notifying us if something actually loving serious goes wrong and nobody gets to it. I love writing test tickets, especially when one of my techs actually calls my office going "I just got a ticket notification on my phone from 'Pebkac ibn Layer 8 Issue' telling us that his time machine is 'for real actual on fire', listing our product as six major versions ahead. What the gently caress?"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today I accidentally discovered WinKey+Tab on Windows 7.

:aaa:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ConfusedUs posted:

Smaller resource footprint, better file management (like copy, etc), storage spaces.

Yes, alot of under the hood improvements paired with a lovely ui. But, you really, really shouldn't be relying on the start menu if you're a "power user" in any way.

This is pretty much the only thread where the majority of the posters are >user level that bashes win 8.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes and no. Ours have been workhorses and rarely have issues. When they do have issues, however, they're a pain in the rear end. And, gently caress that front panel menu system.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TWBalls posted:

Yes and no. Ours have been workhorses and rarely have issues. When they do have issues, however, they're a pain in the rear end. And, gently caress that front panel menu system.

If they are networked, you can go to the IP in a web browser and change everything there.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Here's more:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts#keyboard-shortcuts=windows-7

GreenNight posted:

If they are networked, you can go to the IP in a web browser and change everything there.
That's the thing. More often than not, that's what we're changing, is networking setup. I suppose I could temporarily change a network port to the VLAN of that particular IP address then change it though.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 25, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Four years and I never noticed this feature. :aaa: indeed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Great Beer posted:

Four years and I never noticed this feature. :aaa: indeed.

Oh man, Vista was really proud of that entirely useless feature, and it was kind of something to show off similar functionality to the recently revealed Expose in OSX.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Wow, I definitely did not know that one either. Looks like I need to browse that shortcuts thread a little more.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Hughmoris posted:

Wow, I definitely did not know that one either. Looks like I need to browse that shortcuts thread a little more.

One feature I really miss in Windows 8 is that.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I have an older Zebra label printer whose blade fell out one day. It looks like I could hot glue it back in but UPS' labels are perforated pretty well so I haven't bothered. I hope this thing never dies :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What model? We have two dozen Z105SL which they no longer make. So we ordered a Z105SL Plus and while it looks the same, setup totally is not.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Too bad they took this out of win8/8.1

Microsoft :argh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

incoherent posted:

Too bad they took this out of win8/8.1

Microsoft :argh:

WinKey+(number) does cool things if you have pinned apps.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

monster on a stick posted:

How about that.

Time to reorganize my pinned apps so that they're on the most convenient numbers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This is amazing :allears:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A reply from the vendor came in!

quote:

"To be frank, we don't think there is much that can be done now on this case, as the upgrade has been done and we couldn't find any errors within the install logs. We suspect the missing files come from a previous upgrade."

Sooooo, that's what you want me to go back to the client with, guys? Maybe you could, y'know, provide copies of the missing files, or something???

Oh, and of course,

quote:

We're going to close this ticket now.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 26, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A reply from the vendor came in!

Sooooo, that's what you want me to go back to the client with, guys? Maybe you could, y'know, provide copies of the missing files, or something???

Oh, and of course,

The fun part is, at some point all too soon, they're going to want more money from your employer. And get it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Trigger warning *twitch*

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

What the gently caress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Does in 7 too, though. Can't believe people didn't know about Win+Tab! That was pretty much the silly hyped feature in Vista, although Vista's angle was a bit sharper if I recall.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Does in 7 too, though. Can't believe people didn't know about Win+Tab! That was pretty much the silly hyped feature in Vista, although Vista's angle was a bit sharper if I recall.

Vista was also so freaking bad at launch that nobody wanted to touch it... so most of the hype info was forgotten. Any Vista computer I touched, I had to turn Aero off on because it caused huge performance issues. But I didn't touch many Vista machines after the first few months, and I wasn't actually working in IT at that point in time, so...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FireSight posted:

Any Vista computer I touched, I had to turn Aero off on because it caused huge performance issues.

I found the exact opposite: with Aero off, even moving a window is painful, as GDI+ operations are no longer hardware accelerated as they were in XP.

Point taken on the fact hardly anyone touched Vista, but every ad they showed had Win+Tab (Aero Flip) in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You kids and your fancy shiny GUIs and rounded buttons and poo poo...thank god that with the Windows Classic theme, a few other settings changes, and 7 Taskbar Tweaker, you can make Windows 7 look and behave the correct way (i.e. just like Windows 95). :colbert:

• Locked thread