Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

poo poo pissing me off today: Stack Overflow.

Ok, I don't know why something happens, I think it's a bug. I write the question. I explain the issues, say what happens, say what should happen. I again explain the issue step by step to clear any confusions. I post.
(The issue deals with redirects, which is kind of important)

First comment - can you provide a fiddle. (no, I cannot, because it deals with redirects, which none of fiddle sites can support)
Second comment - completely missing the point, asking questions that don't matter to the question.

I reexplain the issue, add examples which you can use on your own machine.

Next comment - again missing the point. I basically retype a comment I've made earlier.
And next comment - writes nosense.

First answer appears (by the author of last comment) - completely misunderstands the issue, writes nonsense.
I again reexplain the issue. For the fourth time I retype the same thing. I write what I've written in the OP and how to use the examples.

The answer gets changed and basically says - "that's how it works, happens because of foo, you won't be able to change it; this is how you can circumvent that". Sounds believable.

Feeling interested though I go into the source code and after two hours of debugging find the place where the issue occurs (not at foo), create a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I found a machine on our network called, EATMYNUTS. Someone decided to name their work issued machine EATMYNUTS.

There is a hero somewhere in our organization.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

spidoman posted:

I found a machine on our network called, EATMYNUTS. Someone decided to name their work issued machine EATMYNUTS.

There is a hero somewhere in our organization.

And you haven't yet changed their desktop icons to business dong?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alereon posted:

So how did disabling link speed auto-negotiation become and remain a best practice? In modern times I've only seen or heard of autonegotiation issues or speed fluctuations with bad hardware or cables that would have shown up as packet loss or link flapping with a forced link speed. I mostly wonder because of the number of maintenance windows I see scheduled because GigE really should have more than 100mbit of throughput (or a DS3 more than 10mbit) so I can't see how it makes sense.

I came across a laptop the other day forced to 10 mbit half duplex. It instantly auto negotiated to gigabit once I figured out wtf was going on

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Pissing me off: unsaved files. I lost hours of work because I was sure I saved the script off.. Nope.

Not at all pissing me off: management. I got an email last night thanking me for my quick turnaround on my part. From someone else's boss. :feelsgood:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eithedog posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Stack Overflow.

Ok, I don't know why something happens, I think it's a bug. I write the question. I explain the issues, say what happens, say what should happen. I again explain the issue step by step to clear any confusions. I post.
(The issue deals with redirects, which is kind of important)

First comment - can you provide a fiddle. (no, I cannot, because it deals with redirects, which none of fiddle sites can support)
Second comment - completely missing the point, asking questions that don't matter to the question.

I reexplain the issue, add examples which you can use on your own machine.

Next comment - again missing the point. I basically retype a comment I've made earlier.
And next comment - writes nosense.

First answer appears (by the author of last comment) - completely misunderstands the issue, writes nonsense.
I again reexplain the issue. For the fourth time I retype the same thing. I write what I've written in the OP and how to use the examples.

The answer gets changed and basically says - "that's how it works, happens because of foo, you won't be able to change it; this is how you can circumvent that". Sounds believable.

Feeling interested though I go into the source code and after two hours of debugging find the place where the issue occurs (not at foo), create a patch.

I hope you posted the patch on Stack Overflow.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A while ago we shipped off a laptop to a user who's in some butthole town in Washington, because their boss says they need a laptop now now now. Things they did not need before they got a laptop:
  • a user account
  • associating that user account with the drive encryption
  • VPN access
Today, this user has an account, and I can do an admin recovery over the phone to unlock the drive, but they can't do much else unless they walk into one of our locations so they can authenticate against the domain and sync the encryption partition with her credentials. After that, they can wait a week to get a VPN connection set up. According to the user, the nearest branch is about an hour away, but she doesn't know exactly where it is. And in a week, she'll be in Oregon and won't need to connect to a VPN.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Obviously modern networking equipment does auto/auto fine, but there are still folks who don't know any better and still try to lock everything to 100/full.

We had an ISP tech come out to fix a problem that was clearly on their end (two separate demarcs, one working and one completely dead) and he absolutely refused to repair the wiring from the pole to our building until we set our firewall to 10/full on that port. Ten. On a 100Mbps fiber connection.

Needless to say, we reverted that change before he had finished walking to his truck.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Arguably the best DBA, and one of the finest people, I've ever worked with has just handed in his resignation because the company won't stop piling work onto him. He's the kind of guy you want at every position, but because he does his job so well and always goes the extra mile, the company just shoveled every bit of poo poo his way. 45 hour weeks, 50, 55, 60, 65, wonder how much work we can get out of him before he reaches his breaking point? Guess they have their answer, ugh.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Jeoh posted:

I hope you posted the patch on Stack Overflow.

Yes + posted the issue(?) on github. But, I guess, people didn't even take an effort to read what I've written and when providing an answer scraped the bottom of the barrel.

:smith:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

eithedog posted:

...people didn't even take an effort to read what I've written...

This is an incredibly common problem, sadly. Example: I don't know how many times we've had Doctors come for help and when we ask them to open a ticket, they start bitching about how long it takes to open a ticket and that the helpdesk is terrible. Except that we have a number specifically for Doctors where the help is very good, there are no option trees to gently caress around with so you instantly get a human on the phone (all of whom are located here in the U.S., so no excuses about not being able to understand them). The number is literally on the telephone handset on all of the phones located in the Doctors dictation rooms in big, bold type.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Arguably the best DBA, and one of the finest people, I've ever worked with has just handed in his resignation because the company won't stop piling work onto him. He's the kind of guy you want at every position, but because he does his job so well and always goes the extra mile, the company just shoveled every bit of poo poo his way. 45 hour weeks, 50, 55, 60, 65, wonder how much work we can get out of him before he reaches his breaking point? Guess they have their answer, ugh.

We had someone like that here, for a while. Combined with springing surprise deadlines like "The client paid us $XXXX to do this and we said it'd take six weeks, and that was seven weeks ago. Surprise! Now get it done."

It's amazing how out of touch most management is.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Zamujasa posted:

We had someone like that here, for a while. Combined with springing surprise deadlines like "The client paid us $XXXX to do this and we said it'd take six weeks, and that was seven weeks ago. Surprise! Now get it done."

The only management I have respect for are those that work their way up from the trenches. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. When you do work for one, it's loving amazing. You talk the same language and he goes to bat for you and your team.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Zamujasa posted:

I hate the situation that happens, and after you've seen it once you start to recognize the signs early on.

The company has too much work for the people who are doing it.
The company needs more people.
The company asks too much of the people performing the work.
The company sees that the people they have are stepping up and working more hours to ensure the work gets done.
The company's work is getting done.
The company does not hire any more people because the work is getting done.
The company continues to grow.
The company asks even more of the people doing the work.

And this just enters a feedback loop until someone says alright enough, and leaves. Every time. It has gotten to the point where I can recognize a chance to do a bit of interesting work after hours, I will deliberately hold off on doing it until normal business hours. If I volunteer my own time, suddenly there are enough people to do the work. In the past, I thought it was good to show initiative and go the extra mile, but really that just results in the work getting done, which for an understaffed team, is the worst thing that can happen.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 26, 2014

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

spidoman posted:

I used to work for a company where we were told to name our work machines after our favourite alcoholic drinks. Yes there were more than a few nights were we worked until after the trains stopped and then went out drinking until they started again.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
The one thing pissing me off right now is my workload.

As a second shifter, I'm perfectly fine taking on cases that come in a few hours before everyone leaves. I can also deal with starting my day a little early just so I can call people back before they leave the office.

The one thing I'm having trouble dealing with? People not taking tickets in our old ticking system, which is still actively used by two of our largest clients. Every day, no matter what, there's always 20+ cases sitting there, left unattended. I've seen 3 day old cases in there, SEV-1s, and tickets that just need to go to one of the clients' team. People will do the tickets there if they get calls for it, but for the most part, only me and two other people actively work in that system (with ~20 people having access to it at this time).

I've brought it up with my bosses a few times, but it seems like no one really wants to deal with it unless the server hosting it goes down. :argh:

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 26, 2014

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jeoh posted:

I hope you posted "hey guys I figured it out and created a patch, OK great" and then hosed off without posting either the patch or any further replies on Stack Overflow.

Fixed to follow the example of most of the Internet.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

tehfeer posted:

Our internet banking vendor still doesn't support IE 11 and they cannot seem to manage to keep their data-center up. They had a complete outage for over 24 hours due to "a ups power cable over heated and FELL out" Yes apparently one UPS power cable was all it took to take everything from their phones to their backup generators down. And their "hot site" is apparently more like a cold site.

Keep in mind every one of these companies are worth BILLIONS.

Internet banking vendor support team here; I was worried you were talking about us but we haven't had an outage like that at all. The whole place is just as behind the times as you'd expect though. Seems to be endemic to the financial services industry.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I volunteer my own time, suddenly there are enough people to do the work. In the past, I thought it was good to show initiative and go the extra mile, but really that just results in the work getting done, which for an understaffed team, is the worst thing that can happen.

What affects this? Management? Overall culture? [I've been putting in :effort: at new job and am hopeful that I won't go down that rabbit hole of uncompensated effort again.] :stonk:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I hate the situation that happens, and after you've seen it once you start to recognize the signs, so you recognize the signs early on.

The company sees that the people they have are stepping up and working more hours to ensure the work gets done.

And this just enters a feedback loop until someone says alright enough, and leaves. Every time. It has gotten to the point where I can recognize a chance to do a bit of interesting work after hours, I will deliberately hold off on doing it until normal business hours. If I volunteer my own time, suddenly there are enough people to do the work. In the past, I thought it was good to show initiative and go the extra mile, but really that just results in the work getting done, which for an understaffed team, is the worst thing that can happen.

I see this where I work now and :sigh:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lol if you are not contractually forbidden from working more than 7.5 hours a day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

meanieface posted:

What affects this? Management? Overall culture? [I've been putting in :effort: at new job and am hopeful that I won't go down that rabbit hole of uncompensated effort again.] :stonk:
I believe it's management, metrics, P&L statements, etc. The number of people that are above me in the corporate pecking order is downright shocking. And all of them depend on my team to get things done. Best I can tell, all of the people above me spend their days on the phone, discussing the progress of the various projects that my team is working on. And asking my team for inventories. And spreadsheets. Oh my god so many inventories and spreadsheets.

I was recently asked to provide an inventory of all of our equipment broken down by datacenter.* I export a bit here, export a bit there, best guess recollection a bit here, outright lie because I'm not spending my time on this there. I provide the information in what I think is a very snazzy spreadsheet, very nicely formatted, with the information on one sheet, with rows for items and columns for datacenters so you can get a quick view that oh I see you have 2x the amount of hosts in California as you do in Colorado, that's a shocking development. The person then asked me if I could place each datacenter on a separate tab. What? No, of course I can't, that's your job. I give you raw numbers, you format it however the gently caress you want, I have real work to do. Siiiigh, I can't wait to be a manager. I will be amazing at it because:

tango alpha delta posted:

The only management I have respect for are those that work their way up from the trenches. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. When you do work for one, it's loving amazing. You talk the same language and he goes to bat for you and your team.

* - Might as well rant more. And I just hate this request because you know that the person is going to use it in a presentation, during which they will act as though they are intimately familiar with the numbers. You could tell this person "we have 1 SAN. no wait, we have 100. no, sorry, it's 2", and they won't know the difference, but you can rest assured that when they get in that conference room and they're presenting your data, they racked and stacked that SAN themselves and lovingly carved every LUN. LUNs, those are the uh, the disk things right that go in the holes? Oh yeah no of course yeah I knew that sorry yes.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 26, 2014

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
Nvm!

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

lol if you are not contractually forbidden from working more than 7.5 hours a day.
We're contractually forbidden from working more than 11 hours/day. We're also forbidden from accruing more than 30 hours of flextime. This is the fourth year of ongoing layoffs. And yes, we have hard deadlines, why do you ask?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I hate the situation that happens, and after you've seen it once you start to recognize the signs early on.

During my career, I've done level two and level three support for a few very large companies.

I had domain admin access over all of North America. That's a fuckload of power.

Late in my decade long career, management not only assigned me the workload of three people, but started measuring my performance as though I was three full time employees. Eight months later, I was done. I'll never let someone do that to me again. It took two people and a small team to replace me, from what I heard.

For your own health, please don't let anyone push you into this scenario.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 28, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'll throw my lot into the fire, this is basically the business I work for now. It was nice as a year old startup, but rocketed ahead with success/growth and hasn't invested in the manpower or systems/procedures to cope with it, now it's a ticking time bomb as pretty much everyone is on the end of their tether two steps from leaving.

Personally (as an amateur) I've found that management wants to pursue too many NEW projects without wanting to wait until the older ones are finished first, so everything gets hosed up and doesn't get anywhere. Especially when it comes to outsourcing and there's no communication, which is a right bastard when it comes to IT/Tech as you often have to MacGyver what ever bright idea management has steamed ahead to blindly implement.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What you need is someone who is willing to tell the managers/bosses every single time, that until they get more people the work isn't getting done. Just stop giving a gently caress about what they think of you, hold your ground and state it repeatedly until they're so pissed off about hearing it that they go ahead and do it.

It takes a while and i've spent the last 3 to 4 months doing it (as well as 2-3 other people), but they're finally hiring new people and the workload is going down a little. Of course, this is when people have starting replying to my job applications, so I assume its a sign. Nothing gets better until you're ready to leave.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

My department is in a similar situation.

We grew too fast and we outgrew old processes and allowed a ton of poo poo to pass through. Now we have a ton of work to do, while fixing tons of issues. We've previously been able to push through code because we had no QA and people just poo poo code out in a day.

I transferred into the department early this year and noticed a lot of problems. Some of them were being fixed, but we didn't have anyone who would put their foot down and go push back against other departments, effectively making it all worthless anyway.

I talked to our VP about some of the over-reaching issues that are contributing to this hot mess, particularly lack of training and career development. We have an overwhelming amount of cargo cult programming stemming from lack of understanding of the core product API. Additionally, lack of proper testing patterns forcing us to do literally all of our testing in a SIT or UAT environment. This leads to high failure rates of UAT and pushes back go-lives.

Luckily, he empathized and some gears turned behind the scenes and about a month later we had a major change in management (not likely related to the chat we had) that involved a new director and new managers. I was asked if I would like to be one of the managers and I was hesitant at first but I decided to accept since it seemed like the best way to exert some actual change instead of this silly-putty change (let's push the change against the surface and then it'll disappear after while after things keep moving).

My only fear is that the magic word "margin" will rear its head and be used as a way to strong arm decisions against us.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Two hours into the day and my manager is telling me that other people have closed six tickets and i've only closed one (I've closed two and raised one, but I digress). What he doesn't seem to understand is that they had "help, i've forgotten my password" or "help, I can't login" tickets which are solved in 2 minutes by anyone who's been here longer than week. I've got Licensing issues, printer installations across entire sites and i've just taught a lovely 60 year old woman how to use the program. Of course i've only closed 2 tickets you knob, different tickets take different amounts of time to complete!

loving managers man.

E: Jesus christ I swear this guy's been in meetings all day yet he's still emailing me literally a minute after I write up tickets on the system telling me what to send. This is the same manager who thought he wasn't micromanaging me. Suppose I need to think of a polite way to tell him to back off a bit.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 28, 2014

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Been booked to a meeting, by a guy who is now on vacation, with a (rather expensive) external consultant.
The only infomartion I can find about the meeting is in the subject of the invitation "Talk about the assignment".
:sigh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Re: Autonegotiation the blame can mostly be laid on IEEE because the early specification was poorly written. Some parts of it was open to interpretation so implementation was inconsistent. It was corrected in 1998 though.

GbE doesn't have that problem and in fact the spec for GbE says that GbE interfaces must autonegotiate, so it's a problem that will eventually disappear as older equipment gets phased out.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Been booked to a meeting, by a guy who is now on vacation, with a (rather expensive) external consultant.
The only infomartion I can find about the meeting is in the subject of the invitation "Talk about the assignment".
:sigh:

"mention the cheese"

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
[quote="dogstile" post="432778697"]
Two hours into the day and my manager is telling me that other people have closed six tickets and i've only closed one (I've closed two and raised one, but I digress). What he doesn't seem to understand is that they had "help, i've forgotten my password" or "help, I can't login" tickets which are solved in 2 minutes by anyone who's been here longer than week. I've got Licensing issues, printer installations across entire sites and i've just taught a lovely 60 year old woman how to use the program. Of course i've only closed 2 tickets you knob, different tickets take different amounts of time to complete!

In my experience, the only way to win this game is to take the knowledge you gain working actual tickets and get another job. Once people only care about stats, you cannot reason with them, you can only hit the correct numbers. You boss is probably not as much of an idiot as you think. He probably has a boss somewhere up the chain who only cares about numbers, and is hammering him to make sure the numbers are correct. High level managers get bonuses and promotions by telling their bosses that they will 'improve ticket closure rates by 10%' or some such, not by saying, 'we will help people with complicated issues.' It sucks, but this kind of thing is happening everywhere,even places where the goals are even less measurable, like teaching, medicine, and social work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Your boss is in a roundabout way telling you that your team needs to up the amount of tickets you close, and if you read between the lines it means you should create more bullshit tickets. It sucks, but if he or someone higher up the food chain only looks at the numbers, then you just have to play their game and pad your numbers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There's actually only one person up the chain and he's cool so long as we're meeting our SLA's. My manager just has some stupid goal of trying to close every ticket we get in a day like they used too 7 years ago. This is, funnily enough, not feasible. Luckily I got lucky and got a reply for another job opportunity in a :siren: fairly big :siren: organisation, so we'll see how that goes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does your ticketing system have an option for inputting Work Time? Anytime someone gets on my back about number of tickets, I just pull that up and listen to the silence.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Does your ticketing system have an option for inputting Work Time? Anytime someone gets on my back about number of tickets, I just pull that up and listen to the silence.

It does. I got told to do it faster. Pretty much an unwinnable situation I think. Just needed to vent, I was pretty pissed off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We do work for a couple of enterprise clients. It sounds fancy but is just stupid dumbfuck home support that gets scheduled and sometimes paid for by a big company rather than by individuals. We offered them some dumb as poo poo "tune up" package which they just sent out a mass e-mail asking all of their employees to respond if they were interested. Right after this my company got split up into teams and it fell to me and one other dude to handle every one of these appointments.

Several of them in a row (including ones that I had to drive an hour to get to) were hosed up by us either having the wrong address or them simply forgetting about the appointment because it's taken upwards of a month for us to get out to these people's houses.

I sent an e-mail to our dispatch team and the owners of our company asking if we could please send e-mails confirming the appointments since this was becoming a big waste of time for everybody, but I was told it was unnecessary. Literally every single one of the appointments for this since then has had some kind of issue, including today when I got to sit on a stoop for an hour waiting while people called each other because, shockingly enough, somebody put the wrong date down on their calendar.

Yet again I learn that if I don't make them value it, my employer will see my time as totally worthless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who else is seeing a largeish increase in the amount of spam hitting filters this past week or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I mean, there's always the option of actually sitting down to a one-on-one with your manager and just laying it out for him. Tell him exactly why "number of tickets closed" is a useless method of evaluation, and yeah, tell him to back off on the micromanagement. A manager breathing down my neck only lowers my quality of life due to increased stress, and ultimately leads to less of my poo poo getting done. But I have to let the manager know that, because there's at least a chance he's just ignorant or it's his first time managing IT or something, and that he legitimately wants to get things done.

Of course, then you have the other, distressingly common, type of manager: the guy who gets aroused when he exercises power over another human being. He knows people hate being micromanaged, he knows it stresses us and makes us dislike our job just a little bit more. And he likes it, because he gets to feel like "the boss," to hell with actually advancing the interests of the company like he's paid to.

Can't do anything about the latter type except get away from them, but I always want to at least give them the chance to prove they're the former.