Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
I thought maybe I wasn't aligning it right too, but I'm not moving while it aligns so I don't know what the hell I might be doing wrong with it. You can even tell it to re-align. it doesn't fix itself. I don't know what on earth I'm screwing up.

Edit: Flashing? Got it. Trying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It takes make 4-5 minutes to align and you should be doing other startup procedures while waiting.

If the numerical readout doesn't say 4.0.0.8 it isn't aligned. I learned that one the hard way a long time ago.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
I kept reading that and not actually timing how long it was taking. The book talks about the fact that it will flash for full alignment and stay solid for partial, and I was just stupid.

The moment I start my taxi to the runway, the CBUs now immediately give me RDY signal. That was my problem.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well glad to have helped. I'm working on learning Falcon at the moment and learning a new sim is always a big effort. I put a lot of time into Warthog back in the day but didn't really have anyone to play with and most missions seemed to work best with multiple people so kinda stopped playing. The dynamic campaign in Falcon seems like an amazing thing.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
That's my problem as well. I picked it up but just as I get into A10, people are freaking about BMS, so I have been trying to get people to play with but they're either afk or not in it. I have a good mission for 3 or 4 players and have been screwing around with the editor to make practice missions. Nothing major.

Also, nothing quite gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling like blowing up 16 trucks with two CBU-105s and one burst of gau-8. drat I love clusterbombs. :black101:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well decided to start up a solo Falcon campaign after watching some videos and went on a SEAD strike mission. I fired both harms and both hit SA-2 radar arrays but not the launchers themselves but I am going to call it a victory. I made it back alive with no losses in my squadron.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I had the same problem when I used to play, my cold starts got quick enough that I was taxing long before the alignment was done.

Sounds like you figured it out though!

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Well decided to start up a solo Falcon campaign after watching some videos and went on a SEAD strike mission. I fired both harms and both hit SA-2 radar arrays but not the launchers themselves but I am going to call it a victory. I made it back alive with no losses in my squadron.

Protip: Go back with some CBUs or mavericks and blow up the launchers. Air defenses will eventually replace their radars if you leave the launchers untouched.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

cheesetriangles posted:

The SA-2 is utterly useless without its radar so that's mission accomplished. The CBUs that the AI ATO likes to give to SEAD missions aren't all that useful since the launchers tend to be spread all over. Bring GBU-12s instead, or a pair of Mavericks if you don't want to get to close.

I often remove the bombs from AI SEAD flights as the AI will expend their HARMs then roll in for CBUs and eat a MANPAD. You're there to suppress the SAM computer bro, not get killed.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

cheesetriangles posted:

You're doing better than me. I just got my joystick set up and just started my own campaign. I'm finding out very quickly how little I know and how much I need to learn. It was kind of fun when I realized that the AI vectored in some Mig-29s to light up my rear end before I could ever reach my SEAD target.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
I'm on mumble and happy to play some DCS if anyone's up for it.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Sauer posted:

The SA-2 is utterly useless without its radar so that's mission accomplished. The CBUs that the AI ATO likes to give to SEAD missions aren't all that useful since the launchers tend to be spread all over. Bring GBU-12s instead, or a pair of Mavericks if you don't want to get to close.

I often remove the bombs from AI SEAD flights as the AI will expend their HARMs then roll in for CBUs and eat a MANPAD. You're there to suppress the SAM computer bro, not get killed.

You can also toss bomb them all in from a few miles out. Just cover the entire area in bomblets and orphan baby legs I guess.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So for the coming sunday, the option is to fly a USAF Block 50, Israeli Block 50s and 52s and then there is the Sufa (Storm Falcon). A fat, two seater that is specific to Israeli Air Force. And it is pretty badass.

So not much will change. Sauer posted the guide for the campaign here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post432618183

This also includes the guide for downloading and installing the campaign. Spoiler alert: it is loving easy.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Played around with the DCS mission editor a bit.
Here's a race course I made for DCS: Goon Race Deluxe

Take off, fly through the TV towers adjacent to the runway with the 3 race pylons on each side. You'll want to fly from the ocean, to onshore, then follow the pairs of TV towers. Everything should be pretty straightforward, but it might be good to look at the overview in the mission editor to get a sense of the course.

Feedback appreciated!

EpicPhoton fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 25, 2014

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Vahakyla posted:

So for the coming sunday, the option is to fly a USAF Block 50, Israeli Block 50s and 52s and then there is the Sufa (Storm Falcon). A fat, two seater that is specific to Israeli Air Force. And it is pretty badass.

So not much will change. Sauer posted the guide for the campaign here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post432618183

This also includes the guide for downloading and installing the campaign. Spoiler alert: it is loving easy.

Did Israel survive the first wave of Syrian aircraft after the first strike? Cause sometimes I hear the ai is too stupid to leave a couple barcap flights up in the air and gets obliterated.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nothing is more embarrassing than getting blown up because you forgot to turn on your master arm.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Nothing is more embarrassing than getting blown up because you forgot to turn on your master arm.

What about landing without gear down? Fully functional gear that would have worked great had it been employed. Despite monotone air traffic control bitch saying "check gear down" YEAH YEAH I HEARD YOU SLUT MY GEAR IS FI---uck

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You know what's a cool plane? The Fairchild Republic A-10C Thunderbolt II. We should fly that sometime.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

You know what's a cool plane? The Fairchild Republic A-10C Thunderbolt II. We should fly that sometime.

got pedals and trackir sitting here, just waiting for the stick :(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did you order a tm warthog?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Did you order a tm warthog?

Yes, and an X-55, X-55 is supposed to ship today, the Warthog is waiting on Amazon to get a shipment from TM.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Warthog is a real nice stick never used an x55 went with the warthog instead and buying both was not in my means. Are you new to flight sims and going all in or are you a vet that is looking to upgrade?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Warthog is a real nice stick never used an x55 went with the warthog instead and buying both was not in my means. Are you new to flight sims and going all in or are you a vet that is looking to upgrade?

Little experience with the original F4, but for the most part new, getting out of MMO's, mostly because my 9 month old kills the amount of time to enjoy it. At least with sims i can work around when he's sleeping to play, although being in Alaska for the moment the TZ doesn't always agree. I had a CH setup when I was out east, but never knew anyone who played, so for the most part they were shelved, and sacrificed when I moved.

Spent spare time this week learning to cold start the A-10C, even with a baby bouncing on me :P

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah it isn't hard once you practice it a bit. At this point I do it In like 2 minutes and then spend the rest of the time waiting for the nav system to align. I hadn't done it in months but it was burned into my brain. Same with the weapon systems which I was using from pure muscle memory. It is a lot of fun once you really learn it.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah it isn't hard once you practice it a bit. At this point I do it In like 2 minutes and then spend the rest of the time waiting for the nav system to align. I hadn't done it in months but it was burned into my brain. Same with the weapon systems which I was using from pure muscle memory. It is a lot of fun once you really learn it.

Ya it is, having only done it about 5 times, I'm starting to get too far ahead of the tutorial, I need to pop it up on a second screen and just wing it now. I'm a sponge so I pick up on poo poo fast, especially when its repetitious. Try to do it once a day right now, not doing much of anything else until I get a stick because I don't want to relearn keys.

Once I get cold starting it down, probably by the end of the weekend, I'll start learning navigation and steerpoints etc.

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 25, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For ANYONE having issues with IVC:

The main solution seems to be switching the playback and recording devices so that you only have one enabled. Falcon IVC hates having speakers and headphones, or two mics, or any competing sound devices, on at the same time and they ruin the IVC.

Even if you do you use only headphones and the inbuilt mic, go to your Playback Devices and Recording Devices and disable everything else except the one you use, to ensure that no phantom devices are green and enabled.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
edge? edge. :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Operation Protective Edge

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Baloogan posted:

CCIP at that altitude and speed? Someone is really confident that no one has smuggled Iglas into Gaza.

Edit: Or they know that bagging an IAF fighter will probably bring on, Operation Over-Overkill, the Genociding.

Edit the second: That's hudcam footage from the strike on Iraq's Osirak nuclear reactor in 1981.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 25, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
How compatible is flying DCS in a Shark or Frogfoot while other bros are in Hogs? I like how detailed the A-10C is but I find the switchology gets a little tedious with an X-52. Lots of shift switches. The SU-25T is pretty simple and flies real fast while blowing poo poo up and blowing up.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Baloogan posted:

doofus

here I will rephrase it.

EDGE? EDGE. :vd:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Sauer posted:

How compatible is flying DCS in a Shark or Frogfoot while other bros are in Hogs? I like how detailed the A-10C is but I find the switchology gets a little tedious with an X-52. Lots of shift switches. The SU-25T is pretty simple and flies real fast while blowing poo poo up and blowing up.
That should work just fine. It's kind of funny how DCS goes to some length to ensure that all aircraft can fly in the same mission, while simultaneously having very few aircraft that are useful in the same mission. For that reason you probably wan tto stick to the frogfoot--a mission designed for A10Cs will probably get you killed in a helo.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
There are some really neat DCS community missions that make use of all the modern aircraft. They seem to require more than a handful of people, though. Operation Silk Road is an example of one.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Snaxx posted:

There are some really neat DCS community missions that make use of all the modern aircraft. They seem to require more than a handful of people, though. Operation Silk Road is an example of one.

I've seen vids of people running SEAD frogfoots for a10's and f-15's

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
As some of you know I recently purchased a Saitek X-55, and Burno suggested I write a trip report.

Trip report: poo poo's busted. The two hat switches on the throttle do not register any input when pressed upwards... Currently talking to a service rep to get a replacement hopefully.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Lee Outrageous posted:

As some of you know I recently purchased a Saitek X-55, and Burno suggested I write a trip report.

Trip report: poo poo's busted. The two hat switches on the throttle do not register any input when pressed upwards... Currently talking to a service rep to get a replacement hopefully.

Fawk. Guess I need to get on Amazon's rear end for my warthog

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Wh1plash posted:

Fawk. Guess I need to get on Amazon's rear end for my warthog
The canadian Amazon site was saying 1-3 months, and even Fry's was saying 1 month out. I called Amazon and asked if they had any more information, and they said they hadn't even got a shipment date from Thrustmaster, so who knows. I poked and prodded a little more, turns out they don't sell out of these often so they don't get shipments in very often. Considering, I shelled out some extra and got one en route from one of the other mark-up vendors on Amazon.

And yeah, I've heard that since Mad Catz acquired Saitek, their QA has gone downhill.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Propagandist posted:

The canadian Amazon site was saying 1-3 months, and even Fry's was saying 1 month out. I called Amazon and asked if they had any more information, and they said they hadn't even got a shipment date from Thrustmaster, so who knows. I poked and prodded a little more, turns out they don't sell out of these often so they don't get shipments in very often. Considering, I shelled out some extra and got one en route from one of the other mark-up vendors on Amazon.

And yeah, I've heard that since Mad Catz acquired Saitek, their QA has gone downhill.

I'm in the Alaska right now, so unless I get free or discounted shipping I get loving raped on poo poo. I'm better off to get a PO Box in Whitehorse and jump the border with it. the one place wanted $80 to ship a $600 Warthog here. I'm going to San Diego in October, if they don't have any by then, I'll pick one up in Cali and bring it back that way. The way things are looking, I might be back In Alberta before then, so who knows.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Waiting months for a stick has got to be torture. Maybe your x55 won't be garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Waiting months for a stick has got to be torture. Maybe your x55 won't be garbage?

I'm hoping not, it is supposed to be shipped today, but I think its still on B/O. If it is, I'll just cancel both and shell out. I'm loving itching bad to play.

It's been mixed reviews on the X-55, some have had good luck with it, some have been full-blown writeoffs. I only ordered it because its supposed to be here before the hog i ordered. And with the spring swapping I can use it for simpler games. Been waiting a month for poo poo, so patience is wearing thin and my antsy is wanting to get the better of me.

edit: 586 with free shipping is tempting.

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 26, 2014