Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Now I really want them to bring back the Persona 1 and 2 characters so Baofu, Nate, and Junpei can all nerd out about baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The Shadows in Ultimax freak me out, man. They sound either really upset or super-smarmy. When you pick Shadow Junpei, you just hear this sad, echo-y "I just... gotta win, right?" :smith:

i feel like not having a shadow marie is a missed opportunity tho.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 24, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVW-MKopUzw

The Hollow Forest's Tsundere Poet

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DONTU CRY, SANKU BABI

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Excels posted:

The Shadows in Ultimax freak me out, man. They sound either really upset or super-smarmy. When you pick Shadow Junpei, you just hear this sad, echo-y "I just... gotta win, right?" :smith:

i feel like not having a shadow marie is a missed opportunity tho.

They can't have shadow Marie because everyone would like her more than regular Marie.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

She's loving Platinum.

From Blazblue.

This game is just becoming Blazblue.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
For I minute I thought you meant Platinum*Games; now I want Shin Megami Tensei: Rising Persona 4: Bearveangence

E: Or a new Raidou Devil Summoner, that'd be pretty cool

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

laplace posted:

You say that like characters haven't just been basically transplanted wholesale from Blazblue since Day 1. Like, I've played neither but when everything I read about how a character in Arena plays is "like [x] from Blazblue" that's pretty telling.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

laplace posted:

She's loving Platinum.

From Blazblue.

Call me back when someone is Amane or Kagura.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

alcharagia posted:

Call me back when someone is Amane or Kagura.

Or Azrael :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Basically any of the new male characters from Chrono Phantasma would be acceptable because they all own.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

You say that like characters haven't just been basically transplanted wholesale from Blazblue since Day 1. Like, I've played neither but when everything I read about how a character in Arena plays is "like [x] from Blazblue" that's pretty telling.

The thing is a lot of characters in Arena Don't actually play like Blazblue, at least not until P4U2. Some of them have some similar functions but that Marie chain was giving me platinum PTSD muscle memory flashbacks.

The characters that are really problematically Blazblue are Sho/Shadow Sho, Yu, and Chie. Kanji feels a little bit like Tager but plays a whole lot differently.

Rise also looks to be extremely similar to Rachel, whereas Ken, while *kinda* similar in gamefeel to Carl, is really different. Everyone else is significantly different from Blazblue. The whole pacing of the game is really different as well, mostly due to how guarding works.

I'm not saying its a necessarily bad thing but it really shows with Marie that she's an afterthought since she's both DLC and seemingly a clone.

Also, Azrael is lame. :colbert:

laplace fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

laplace posted:

The thing is a lot of characters in Arena Don't actually play like Blazblue, at least not until P4U2. Some of them have some similar functions but that Marie chain was giving me platinum PTSD muscle memory flashbacks.

The characters that are really problematically Blazblue are Sho/Shadow Sho, Yu, and Chie. Kanji feels a little bit like Tager but plays a whole lot differently.

Rise also looks to be extremely similar to Rachel, whereas Ken, while *kinda* similar in gamefeel to Carl, is really different. Everyone else is significantly different from Blazblue. The whole pacing of the game is really different as well, mostly due to how guarding works.

I'm not saying its a necessarily bad thing but it really shows with Marie that she's an afterthought since she's both DLC and seemingly a clone.

Doesn't bother me much since I play mostly Naoto anyway. Love her mute bullets.

Adachi supposedly plays a lot like Hazama, right?

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one has any idea how Adachi plays we just know he has one animation that is very similar to one of Terumi's kicks.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow Sho plays a lot like Hazama. Not necessarily in terms of his animations but just in how his zoning game and combo chains work. You press a lot of buttons in the same order for a lot of his attacks, and Shadow Sho (and regular sho I guess but not as pronounced) have a small move buffer that makes them feel very similar.

laplace fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 25, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
So, will this be the last year of Atlus', "Milk the Persona 4 Cow Till It Dies," strategy? I totally understand why they are doing it, and I too am buying a lot of the games coming out in the universe, but I would like to see something new in the Megaten franchise, not just the same characters put into different genres and plot lines.

What's the latest news on Persona 5 teasers?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Absolutely nothing since the initial announcement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They also put out Shin Megami Tensei IV recently, so it isn't like they've been doing nothing but Persona 4.

Also recall the giant clusterfuck with their home company which probably put a lot of upcoming games in weird spots. Devil Survivor 2's 3DS port is probably DOA at this point.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

laplace posted:

She's loving Platinum.

From Blazblue.

To be fair almost every Arcsys fighter builds off the same character concepts. Platinum from Blazblue is pretty heavily inspired by Faust from Guilty Gear in parts, some of Yu's moves are almost exactly ripped out of Ky Kiske and Jin (who was already based on Ky) and The surrounding game just happens to play differently enough that it's ok I guess.

laplace posted:

Ahh ok then you know what you're talking about more than I do :v: I stopped playing BB with the new incarnations but definitely picking up Ultimax and the new GG whenever that's out, never even tried the characters like Azrael.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've been replaying Nocturne, and I would genuinely be surprised if anyone survived their first encounter with Matador. Even though I knew what I was up against and prepared myself going in, I still got slaughtered once he pulled out the Focus + Andalucia combo.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

To be fair almost every Arcsys fighter builds off the same character concepts. Platinum from Blazblue is pretty heavily inspired by Faust from Guilty Gear in parts, some of Yu's moves are almost exactly ripped out of Ky Kiske and Jin (who was already based on Ky) and The surrounding game just happens to play differently enough that it's ok I guess.

Ahh ok then you know what you're talking about more than I do :v: I stopped playing BB with the new incarnations but definitely picking up Ultimax and the new GG whenever that's out, never even tried the characters like Azrael.

Yeah, Blazblue really is just a continuation of Guilty Gear, though I think each of the games (BB, GG, and P4A) all have different gamefeel that differentiates them. I like all three of them as well, even with their differences. Then again, I *do* have test cabinet access to Arcsys games so I'm a little biased, though my contract is ending soon since I'm moving back to America from Japan.

I did get to play as Ken and Rise though, but I'm actually not allowed to talk in depth about them yet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They also put out Shin Megami Tensei IV recently, so it isn't like they've been doing nothing but Persona 4.

Also recall the giant clusterfuck with their home company which probably put a lot of upcoming games in weird spots. Devil Survivor 2's 3DS port is probably DOA at this point.

They've also finally put some of their older games on PSN (Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Devil Summoner). Probably a little too late for those since PS2 Classics don't work on PS4, but it's the thought that counts. I would assume that unless P5 tanks the deluge of P4 spinoffs will end with DAN and we'll start seeing other stuff again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My thoughts have always been that Arena 2 is going to give the Persona 3 cast a happy ending with P3MC coming back and then Dancing All Night is the final sendoff for the Persona 4 cast, aside from any cameos in P5. The Detective Naoto spin offs imply that Kanji started selling his stuffed animals at Junes, so there may be a couple refrences here and there.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Dehry posted:

My thoughts have always been that Arena 2 is going to give the Persona 3 cast a happy ending with P3MC coming back and then Dancing All Night is the final sendoff for the Persona 4 cast, aside from any cameos in P5. The Detective Naoto spin offs imply that Kanji started selling his stuffed animals at Junes, so there may be a couple refrences here and there.

I think someone said those spinoff books are 100% non-canon, just another add-on like Trinity Soul (they're both pretty lame)

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
If they insist on giving P3MC a happy ending they should start by making him playable in P4AU .

And deciding if his name is Makoto or Minato :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

hubris.height posted:

So, will this be the last year of Atlus', "Milk the Persona 4 Cow Till It Dies," strategy?

No, we still need P4 Arena OVAs.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

Krad posted:

No, we still need P4 Arena OVAs.

Persona 4 Arena: The Animation

Then a year later, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: The Animation

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AzureRequiem posted:

If they insist on giving P3MC a happy ending they should start by making him playable in P4AU .

And deciding if his name is Makoto or Minato :colbert:

The correct option is to make him playable in P4AU2 and have him have a name entirely unique to the game.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

They've also finally put some of their older games on PSN (Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Devil Summoner). Probably a little too late for those since PS2 Classics don't work on PS4, but it's the thought that counts. I would assume that unless P5 tanks the deluge of P4 spinoffs will end with DAN and we'll start seeing other stuff again.

Those older games on PSN probably have very little to do with Atlus and everything to do with quirks of emulating PS2 games. If you've ever tried emulating a PS2 games before, you'll notice it works really well with some titles that don't tax the system much, while completely screwing up the more intense stuff. Sony hasn't said one way or the other, but you'll notice that the PS2 games up there are the ones that are easy to emulate (Atlus titles, God Hand) while other stuff has to get a proper remake.

Sony has said that emulaton is coming to the PS4, and perhaps the PS4 is powerful enough that it could play the entire PS2 library, but we'll have to see.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Coming 2016: Persona 5 Minus 1, a remake of Persona 4 using all the gameplay additions found in P5.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TurnipFritter posted:

Coming 2016: Persona 5 Minus 1, a remake of Persona 4 using all the gameplay additions found in P5.

Exclusively for PS4.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Hey, they made three versions of Person 3 - maybe they'll make four versions of P4?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

The Machine posted:

Hey, they made three versions of Person 3 - maybe they'll make four versions of P4?

I still remember when Atlus came out and said there would only be one version of Persona 4. There isn't even just 1 version of the drat anime!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm not that concerned about P4 getting overmarketed, I just wish some of it would backsplash in such a way that I got my white whale of P3P HD with full voice and cutscenes. I mean Yukiko's in it! Put Marie in there who cares.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Default Game
Same game with graphical update, design conveniences, more content
Same game with all improvements of last game, female main character (no gay relationships), full voice acting, new Personas. On a completely different console.

So, it'll be Persona 5 - PS3; Persona 5 Update 1 - PS4; Persona 5 Update 2 - PS5 (at the end of the console cycle).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah the P5 revision will be on Vita or the next generation of handhelds. If Nintendo's follow up to the 3DS has more power behind it then it'll be there. Really though at this point you'd think they'd just make Persona a handheld series instead of porting them all there later. We probably won't ever have an FES style game again since people didn't like that much but they do like Arena, which is essentially The Answer for P4.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want my P2 characters in Arena. I'll accept that they're not gonna be in Ultimax, except maybe Maya/Tatsuya/P1MC as DLC characters, but for the next inevitable game.

I'll also accept Mark in DAN. In fact, if Mark is not in DAN, I will not buy it. It seems perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If they made Persona a handheld only title I'd most likely stop playing them. I do want to get Golden one of these days but doing so will just net me a handheld I have no real desire to play. I rather play my games on big screens.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Jimbot posted:

If they made Persona a handheld only title I'd most likely stop playing them. I do want to get Golden one of these days but doing so will just net me a handheld I have no real desire to play. I rather play my games on big screens.

Lucky for you you will be able to do this pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, someone posted that earlier in the thread when I brought that up. I was really excited when I saw that at the Sony Press conference. Definitely picking up that little box when it comes out.