Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

By the end of a deployment I was mixing No-Explode I bought off some marines into my monsters to try to stay awake on watch.

It didn't work.

Tiger balm applied thinly under you eye works better. It's how I stayed awake during police academy. Burns so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Tiger balm applied thinly under you eye works better. It's how I stayed awake during police academy. Burns so good.
How could you sleep through this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNRkuCpl_yI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah... I recall a six hour class on culture diversity taught by a captain who said "stir the pot" roughly ever other minute. The dude looked like Edward James Olmos and I stayed awake by trying to count his massive pox marks.

I'm really looking forward to A school.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I don't know anyone under 25 who drinks coffee. We have one kids who drinks 3 giant cans of monster every night. I keep telling him he's going to have early kidney failure, but I think diabetes might be possible too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Snowdens Secret posted:

bring teabags for underway

This is my standard. Earl Grey has a lot of caffeine; Captain Picard must have been bouncing off the walls.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't know anyone under 25 who drinks coffee. We have one kids who drinks 3 giant cans of monster every night. I keep telling him he's going to have early kidney failure, but I think diabetes might be possible too.

A fellow instructor drank a six pack a day of Monster. He developed a seizure disorder. It took a couple of "drop on the floor and flop like a fish" episodes before he admitted that it was likely the Monster.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Caffeine abuse should be covered by DAPA, but instead the Navy glorifies staying up as many hours as possible. Double standards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You guys know caffeine comes pure in a pill form right

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Christoff posted:

You guys know caffeine comes pure in a pill form right

Now we're going to have people crushing it and snorting. Thanks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My office is probably the most bougie office in the navy when it comes to coffee. We have three different kinds of expensive beans and a couple of grinders, all for eight people.

We love coffee.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

My office is probably the most bougie office in the navy when it comes to coffee. We have three different kinds of expensive beans and a couple of grinders, all for eight people.

We love coffee.

On USS FIRSTSHIP one of the officers was TAD to Colombia and brought back some high quality coffee for the wardroom. The first day, the LDOs were spitting it out and searching for the "good stuff" (5 pound can of Hill Bros).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Stultus Maximus posted:

(5 pound can of Hill Bros).

Roots and twigs

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Caffeine? Bunch of loving amateurs, take some pointers from the dependas that show up for ADD meds because they're unable to "study" without them and feel like they can achieve so much more with them. poo poo's pretty much legalized meth, it's amazing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guy actually bought a bag that had twigs and poo poo in it in the NEX in Bahrain when we were there in 11. It was the cheapest coffee on the shelf and it was loving awful.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Once when I was cranking in the ward room I noticed every time I made coffee it tasted sour. I took a look inside the coffee maker and the sides were caked black from never being cleaned, so as a reasonable person I cleaned it out. Made some fresh coffee and thought it tasted normal, but then our EMO came in and said he didn't like it and said that it didn't taste right. He must have been so used to it tasting like poo poo that normal coffee tasted bad to him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Once when I was cranking in the ward room I noticed every time I made coffee it tasted sour. I took a look inside the coffee maker and the sides were caked black from never being cleaned, so as a reasonable person I cleaned it out. Made some fresh coffee and thought it tasted normal, but then our EMO came in and said he didn't like it and said that it didn't taste right. He must have been so used to it tasting like poo poo that normal coffee tasted bad to him.

Yeah but EMO was a former chief and they do weird poo poo down in the mess to their coffee like never washing cups/pots and putting salt in the grounds.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Why don't they ever wash their cups? Seems to be a constant thing wherever I go, whether in training or at various hospitals. loving nasty.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Customs and traditions. And laziness? I love the cups with the brown lip imprints all over the rim. :barf:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Crossposting from the Ask us about joining the military thread.

Question, I'm planning on going to MEPs a week from today for the Navy. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. My scores qualify, I've got my Bachelor's(although not in an IT related field), etc. If it's available, I should see it, right? My questions are, if it's not available is the Navy able to "pull" a job, like the Army recruiter was claiming two years back that they could do? Also, what happens if I go down there, don't see CTN, and go home? Can the recruiter refuse to take me down there the following month?

I really, really do not want to go down and sign for a job that isn't interesting.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Zotix posted:

Question, I'm planning on going to MEPs a week from today for the Navy.

I've got my Bachelor's

Ahahaha

Stop right there. Apply for ocs. Don't enlist. Ignore the recruiters.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zotix posted:

Crossposting from the Ask us about joining the military thread.

Question, I'm planning on going to MEPs a week from today for the Navy. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. My scores qualify, I've got my Bachelor's(although not in an IT related field), etc. If it's available, I should see it, right? My questions are, if it's not available is the Navy able to "pull" a job, like the Army recruiter was claiming two years back that they could do? Also, what happens if I go down there, don't see CTN, and go home? Can the recruiter refuse to take me down there the following month?

I really, really do not want to go down and sign for a job that isn't interesting.

First of all, if the detailer tells you CTN is not available, tell him to gently caress off and try again because we want more CTNs. I won't go into detail (OPSEC) but if that's the job you want that's the job you hold out for. If your recruiter won't take you again he's a lovely recruiter because he still needs that +1 from you joining.

Don't be like my friend's nephew who went in wanting CTN, detailer said it wasn't available and dude chose nuke ET.

Real answer don't enlist with a degree.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't really have the time to do the OCS route. I'm going to be pushing 30 here shortly, and I'm in a time crunch even to enlist. So if CTN isn't available, and I say look again and they tell me no. I'm going to head home. The recruiter has told me his supervisor wants me to go in with a few choices in-case CTN isn't available, and I've looked at IT and a little at CTM. IT seems like it's fixing printers for the most part, and CTM could be decent, but CTN looks like it has a better job potential when I get out. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. If the recruiter ends up being pissed that I didn't sign anything, can I just go to a different Navy recruiter in a neighboring city, or what? I know I'll end up going to the same MEPS station a month later, but if that pissed off the first recruiter, I'm unsure of what route to take to get that CTN position.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zotix posted:

I don't really have the time to do the OCS route. I'm going to be pushing 30 here shortly, and I'm in a time crunch even to enlist. So if CTN isn't available, and I say look again and they tell me no. I'm going to head home. The recruiter has told me his supervisor wants me to go in with a few choices in-case CTN isn't available, and I've looked at IT and a little at CTM. IT seems like it's fixing printers for the most part, and CTM could be decent, but CTN looks like it has a better job potential when I get out. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. If the recruiter ends up being pissed that I didn't sign anything, can I just go to a different Navy recruiter in a neighboring city, or what? I know I'll end up going to the same MEPS station a month later, but if that pissed off the first recruiter, I'm unsure of what route to take to get that CTN position.

OCS is not appreciably longer than enlisted boot camp, trust me, you have time if they will still take you. It's only 12 weeks long.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 25, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
You're going to hear the same thing from everyone here. Don't settle for anything other than CTN. A hilarious number of FC students I have were roped into FC/ET because the recruiter told them you can still do networking. What they didn't tell them is that there are a dozen different specialties in the FC field and there is exactly one that deals with networking, and it rarely shows up. So if you want CTN, don't go in unless you get CTN.

Also you have a bachelor's, go the officer route.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We've got one guy in my squadron who is very serious about never washing his coffee mug. Normally when people leave their mug out and forget about it, it gets put in the freezer or some other inaccessible place. His just gets thoroughly washed and put back on the rack.

Zotix posted:

I don't really have the time to do the OCS route. I'm going to be pushing 30 here shortly, and I'm in a time crunch even to enlist.

If you're specifically worried about age, you've got, like, five years. You won't be able to go aviation, but you should definitely be able to get Intel or Information Warfare or something like that. We had an intel guy in my OCS class who turned 35 while we were there.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Go officer.

But if you are dead set on CTN, don't settle. Right now advancement is insanely high (think e-4 to e-5, etc) because people get good training, good experience, and good contacts, which leads to people getting out after first or second enlistment to get swank jobs (reference: I did that). I don't know how detailing works but I'm pretty sure if you want to be CTN there will be a slot for you.

Edit: To the recruiter you are a number he needs to fill a quota. He can be pissed at you all day long but if you join that's a win for him. He might be mad that +1 won't go in this month's quota but it will go somewhere.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If I get CTN, and I do well my first 5-6 years. Keep a great record, etc. How easy is it to switch to officer at that point. I think it's the Seaman to Admiral program? Officer is interesting, but when I say time is limited. I don't mean on the Navy's side. I mean for myself. My living situation may only hold out for another 6-8 months at best, and by that point I'm hoping to be in basic training.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah those programs exists and are definitely a possibility but are extremely competitive and hard to get. You should never enlist with the pretense of "I'll just switch to officer down the line np"

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Zotix posted:

If I get CTN, and I do well my first 5-6 years. Keep a great record, etc. How easy is it to switch to officer at that point. I think it's the Seaman to Admiral program? Officer is interesting, but when I say time is limited. I don't mean on the Navy's side. I mean for myself. My living situation may only hold out for another 6-8 months at best, and by that point I'm hoping to be in basic training.

I'm just going to say that I was literally living in a car and still held out for FC instead of leaving immediately as something lovely. It's the next 4+ years of your life and your job is an enormous part of it. Don't settle.

Also don't enlist, commission instead.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't think my GPA will let me commission. My GPA slacked near the end and I graduated around a 2.8. It's why I don't even contemplate it. Wish I cared a bit more toward the end, but I didn't and I can't really change it at this point.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

You might be in bootcamp in 6 to 8 months, but don't be surprised if you aren't. I would also highly recommend looking up an office recruiter and just talking to them about your OCS chances. They more than likely aren't going to blow as much smoke up your rear end as an enlisted recruiter.

As far as going officer after you are enlisted, it can be done but it is tough. I know tons of dudes who had or finished bachelors while they were enlisted, and I know like 5 that went through commissioning programs. They are competitive, and depending on your command, they may or may not know how to help you apply, and in some circumstances, they will flat out discourage you or create roadblocks to stop it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zotix posted:

I don't think my GPA will let me commission. My GPA slacked near the end and I graduated around a 2.8. It's why I don't even contemplate it. Wish I cared a bit more toward the end, but I didn't and I can't really change it at this point.

Still talk to an O Recruiter about your chances however, I would imagine in today's environment that a 2.8 wouldn't be competitive unless you had something else that was crazy good.

The only reason to enlist with a degree is if you have a very specific goal that can be accomplished by the rate you pick. Echoing what everyone has said, do not settle for anything outside CT rates or IS, anything in the Information Dominance Corps field. (Full disclosure, I'm an IS Chief in the reserves who enlisted with a degree and now am getting an MBA and MS on the GI Bills dime). Don't let your recruiter bully you into signing up for a rate and being able to change it later, approximately 1% chance that'll happen.

Stand your ground, have a very specific goal, and realize that even if everything works out perfect it could still be a lovely 6 years depending on your commands you end up at.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is it true that Intelligence jobs are more likely to show up at the beginning of the month? That's what the recruiting supervisor told me, and I'm inclined to believe him on that point. Also, I scored a 96 on the ASVAB last month, if CTN is available I should see it without any worries right? If I'm not seeing CTN could it be available and they are holding it from me?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woopdy doo, just looked at the navadmin for sea shore rotation, and I fall under that special group of people who can basically say "gently caress ships forever". I could theoretically never have to go to another ship in my career, dunno why I would do that though, I'd rather get out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zotix posted:

Is it true that Intelligence jobs are more likely to show up at the beginning of the month? That's what the recruiting supervisor told me, and I'm inclined to believe him on that point. Also, I scored a 96 on the ASVAB last month, if CTN is available I should see it without any worries right? If I'm not seeing CTN could it be available and they are holding it from me?

If you scored a 96, you are eligible for literally anything you want. Don't settle for anything but CTN, CTM is kinda poop, you do 3M maintenance on all the CT gear, which sucks.

Gonna yet again reinforce that you talk to an O recruiter, do not count yourself out on having a commission within your reach without talking to them.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Zotix posted:

The OCS selection rate for IDC/Intel this past board was 16%. I made it with 3.4 and solid recommendations from three serving officers, but no real work experience. If you have significant work experience, especially as a manager, they may be willing to overlook your GPA. You can also help yourself a lot by blowing the aptitude test, the OAR, out of the water. That all said, my application process took 8 months. The IDC community is selective, but are apparently in high enough demand that they're sending selected candidates to OCS relatively quickly - within a couple of months of selection. Your process will be significantly longer if you have medical issues that need to be waived or if you have immediate problems with getting a security clearance, such as large amounts of oustanding debt.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just so you understand the posts prior to mine:

1. Talk to an officer recruiter.

2. If you still decide to enlist, do not loving settle for anything besides CTN. In spite of how they try to make it appear, they have absolutely 0 claim on you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It should be a bannable offense if he doesn't talk to an Officer recruiter and then enlists and comes back in here and complains about literally anything. CT_ or not.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

It should be a bannable offense if he doesn't talk to an Officer recruiter and then enlists and comes back in here and complains about literally anything. CT_ or not.

I can totally get behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Zotix posted:

I'm pretty sure that's true with all jobs. I waited until the start of July to sign up for jobs and everything was available. I got a 97 on the asvab so I really had to dig through the jobs. I decided on IST and sure enough it had plenty of spots and departure dates.
Good luck!

• Locked thread