Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Current proposal requires the minimum wage to be paid to all Arbeitnehmer, there is nothing in it about six weeks regarding internships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Randler posted:

Current proposal requires the minimum wage to be paid to all Arbeitnehmer, there is nothing in it about six weeks regarding internships.

then what do these points mean?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
:doh:

I'm an idiot who misspelled "Prakktikant" when I Ctrl+F'd the document.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Zwille posted:

I sorta got a reverse question: I'm going to California in August and I want to buy a point-and-shoot camera over there (Canon S120 or something similar) but it turns out they're priced the same on Amazon.de (€330 vs. $450, which is roughly the same). I checked out Best Buy's website too and it quotes the same price as Amazon.com. Are cameras much cheaper in brick & mortar stores in the US or should I just buy the one I need from Amazon.de?

If you're not too picky about having the very latest, might I suggest the S110? $250 on amazon.com, and from what I read it's not THAT different.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Ah yeah, that must be where I got the price difference, it's $250 vs. €280, even. Weird. Guess I'll just pick that if they don't have a deal on the S120 over there. Thanks!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

There's a massive tendency to discount 'old' stock in North America which I see a lot less of here in Germany. I'm sure there's some economic reasoning for it. Just always go for last year/season's stuff and you'll find tons of deals in the U.S.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
BTW you might want to go clothes shopping instead. It's easy for a 150 € pair of jeans to be under a hundred in a US mall, or even less during a sale. Even H&M is cheaper in my experience, if you can imagine such a thing.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Troubadour posted:

BTW you might want to go clothes shopping instead. It's easy for a 150 € pair of jeans to be under a hundred in a US mall, or even less during a sale. Even H&M is cheaper in my experience, if you can imagine such a thing.

This is also mixed, as certain brands, especially more designer-y, set their MSRP weirdly. I can get an new pair of nudies for about 99EUR anywhere (big stores, independent stores), but in America the same jeans are around 180-200USD (sales tax not included).

Even though there is 20% VAT in Germany I find the cost of most things to be ok, and there are so many online shopping places that do free shipping + returns and have a 2 or 3x yearly -40% sale that deals aren't hard to find. This is opposed to in Canada, where duties make most goods cost way more and there's almost a 20% sales tax in some locations, and online shopping is a deadzone.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, I'm totally stocking up on Levi's and Converse anyway. Jack Purcells in particular are hard to find in size 12/13 here, and American Apparel seems to just price stuff the same except in euros.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Zwille posted:

Yeah, I'm totally stocking up on Levi's and Converse anyway. Jack Purcells in particular are hard to find in size 12/13 here, and American Apparel seems to just price stuff the same except in euros.

Levi's are sooooo cheap in the States! As an added bonus, they also carry more sizes, even for their corduroys which do not stop at 34 length, as I had been told in Germany. :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, people talk about $25-$50 STF Levi's in YLLS all the time and here they're €150-180. What the actual gently caress.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

If you can find a sale at Banana Republic, go for it. Good for business-y attire, but not too formal. I don't think they exist here - they're the upscale brand of Gap. My girlfriend loaded up when we went a few months ago - storewide 40% sale!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there a few outlet malls where everything is super cheap?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Zwille posted:

Yeah, people talk about $25-$50 STF Levi's in YLLS all the time and here they're €150-180. What the actual gently caress.
Wait until you see how much Wranglers cost..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

caberham posted:

Outlet malls are a mix of junk and occasional good deals. Usually ends up being odd sizes that don't sell well which can work in your favor. They are worth stopping at if you are close but I generally don't go out of my way to visit them...again I hate clothes shopping.

For Levi's Kohls, Marshalls and even some Wal-Marts can be good spots to check. Don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a pair. Next time I come over I should load up a spare suitcase.

Headed to Berlin this afternoon. Will spend Friday working then checking out the German Technology Museum and Museum Island this weekend. Then my German vacation begins Tuesday. I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to get back over here.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

caberham posted:

Outlet malls can be tricky. Yes, sometimes they have great deals but they're not everywhere and nowadays the outlet mall shops are specifically manufactured (i.e. more cheaply) for outlet malls. For instance, iirc the Ralph Lauren outlet stores are no longer stocked with old regular Ralph Lauren stuff, but rather, stuff made specifically for outlet stores - made in a similar style but with poorer craftsmanship.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

caberham posted:

I did an east coast tour last year (NY - New Orleans - Miami) and ended up in a few outlet malls on the way, specifically in orlando. The regular prices and discounts I found in malls in Virginia and Miami were cheaper than the prices in those outlet centers that catered to tourists. On top of that you didn't have to cope with (mostly) italian and brazilian tourists throwing clothes everywhere and pretending not to get the concept of lines at check out.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The girlfriend and I want to move to Germany (probably Berlin, possibly Hamburg) in either a few months time or next year. We live in Rome and moved here a year and a bit ago from Australia - we have EU passports.

We also have 2 cats and we're trying to figure out the deal with Berlin rentals, apparently there are a lot of rules and regulations and things (which are fine because we have friends who have already moved to Berlin and for whom this is old hat) but they have never had to worry about cats.

Are there any tricks for renting apartments for 6+ months for a not-huge amount of money with two cats? We were thinking of subletting but apparently nobody wants to sublet to cat owners for allergy/etc reasons.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, that's just their opinion and it's perfectly fine to refuse you based on that, it's subletting and you're living together. If it's a flat just for you I don't think there's any law against that. Check the contract/ask the landlord. If you have to fight to get cats into the flat it might put you in a bad relationship with your landlord (or other subtenants for that matter), which probably isn't very fun, possible laws/regulations aside.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From what I understand you have to ask your landlord for permission to keep cats, but they can't deny permission without a good reason (allergies would be a perfectly good one). Landlords can't put a general ban on keeping pets so anything in the contract that says "no pets period" is invalid, but you still need the permission.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So in a fit of insanity I actually purchased the latest SPIEGEL. Did they reduce the amount of pages in that thing drastically? I'm pretty sure that magazine was a lot bigger back when I used to somewhat regularly read it.

(Also newspaper prices have gone off the loving chain, apparently.)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Yep, der Spiegel got thinner. The only magazine I enthusiastically read and which I look forward to buying every time I enter a train station is the fantastic and often beautiful GEO.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Randler posted:

So in a fit of insanity I actually purchased the latest SPIEGEL. Did they reduce the amount of pages in that thing drastically? I'm pretty sure that magazine was a lot bigger back when I used to somewhat regularly read it.

(Also newspaper prices have gone off the loving chain, apparently.)

Früher war alles besser!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Honj Steak posted:

Yep, der Spiegel got thinner. The only magazine I enthusiastically read and which I look forward to buying every time I enter a train station is the fantastic and often beautiful GEO.

I usually buy a Titanic for boring train rides.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I like The European, even though it's kind of conservative. If you want to read the most pretentious thing possible I'd recommend purchasing Lettre International.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I really woldn't think there would be a discussion about that homeless guy with his torn clothes who is around Zoologischer Garten. He is a new level of :gonk:. Do you guys mean the people selling lighters on the train when you talk about panhandlers?
Also the construction work between Zoologischer Garten and Friedrichstraße (no stop at the main station!) and the replacement bus service: Worst thing or worst thing?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

AstroWhale posted:

I really woldn't think there would be a discussion about that homeless guy with his torn clothes who is around Zoologischer Garten. He is a new level of :gonk:. Do you guys mean the people selling lighters on the train when you talk about panhandlers?
Also the construction work between Zoologischer Garten and Friedrichstraße (no stop at the main station!) and the replacement bus service: Worst thing or worst thing?

I've only been to zoologischer Garten once and I didn't notice a :gonk: homeless dude then.

That construction is indeed the worst. You can still take the sbahn west from the zoo though, right? I wanted to go to Wannsee tomorrow so I thought I'd take the ubahn to the zoo and then transfer to the sbahn there to get to the lake.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I usually see rag dude at main station, but I'm never at Zoo anymore, he might well hang around there as well. Haven't ever seen anyone try to sell lighters on the train, that's a new one - the panhandlers I meant hang around the food court at main station and pretend to be collecting signatures for charity. Apparently if you fall for it and sign they guilt-trip you into making a cash donation as well. gently caress them. You can't grab a bite there anymore without them coming by three or four times (protip: one level lower, all the way to one end of the floor, there are seats and it's always empty there, protip #2: don't eat at the lovely food court).

I feel for you guys with the construction. I only have to go from Braunschweig to Potsdam next week and that's already looking so daunting that I'm just going to get the folks I'm visiting to pick me up at Spandau. For going to Wannsee, depending on where in Berlin you start, S1 might be a good idea.

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

AstroWhale posted:

I think I saw that guy at Hbf last Tuesday, too. Naked Bottom and a rag? Standing and staring like a statue? :gonk:

bignose fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 21, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a blog about goddamn everything. Includes a link to slightly more info but it's BZ. Apparently police and social services know about him (how could they not, right) but he's not actively bothering anyone and refuses help so... fair enough. I guess.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I've only been to zoologischer Garten once and I didn't notice a :gonk: homeless dude then.

That construction is indeed the worst. You can still take the sbahn west from the zoo though, right? I wanted to go to Wannsee tomorrow so I thought I'd take the ubahn to the zoo and then transfer to the sbahn there to get to the lake.
Yes. That still works.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a blog about goddamn everything. Includes a link to slightly more info but it's BZ. Apparently police and social services know about him (how could they not, right) but he's not actively bothering anyone and refuses help so... fair enough. I guess.

Waldschrat :lol: And the BZ article is from last November. How does he survive?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

AstroWhale posted:

Yes. That still works.

Indeed, and Wannsee is awesome! :) really glad I managed to go before I left Berlin.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

AstroWhale posted:

I'm now taking the U2 via Potsdamer Platz and then the S-Bahn up to Friedrichstraße, because screw taking the absolutely overcrowded REs from Zoo to Friedrichstraße. :argh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm playing with the idea of getting a tablet (Nexus 7) but I'm not 100% sure I want to get tied to a 24 month contract with one of the big providers like Telekom or Vodafone. I use Fonic prepaid cards for my own personal mobile phone, and I've seen their data cards for sale too -- does anyone know if these are also prepaid, pay-as-you-go, or if they also require you to have some kind of monthly rate?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Drone posted:

I'm playing with the idea of getting a tablet (Nexus 7) but I'm not 100% sure I want to get tied to a 24 month contract with one of the big providers like Telekom or Vodafone. I use Fonic prepaid cards for my own personal mobile phone, and I've seen their data cards for sale too -- does anyone know if these are also prepaid, pay-as-you-go, or if they also require you to have some kind of monthly rate?

Fonic is prepaid and you get 500mb per 30 days for €9,95 (phone option). Alternatively there is the "Surf-Card" which gives you 500mb per day for €1,99 (€20 maximum per month).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Honj Steak posted:

Fonic is prepaid and you get 500mb per 30 days for €9,95 (phone option).

Is there a tablet option?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Drone posted:

Is there a tablet option?

None specifically, as far as I tell, but you can certainly use the surf-card in an HSDPA-enabled tablet.

If 3 GB per month are enough for you, I can recommend providers that use the D1 network, such as congstar: http://www.congstar.de/surf-flat-tarife/

e: these are postpaid, if you want a prepaid version, you have to buy a congstar prepaid-card and then activate these options (same price): http://www.congstar.de/prepaid/zubuchbare-optionen/

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Honj Steak posted:

None specifically, as far as I tell, but you can certainly use the surf-card in an HSDPA-enabled tablet.

If 3 GB per month are enough for you, I can recommend providers that use the D1 network, such as congstar: http://www.congstar.de/surf-flat-tarife/

e: these are postpaid, if you want a prepaid version, you have to buy a congstar prepaid-card and then activate these options (same price): http://www.congstar.de/prepaid/zubuchbare-optionen/

That doesn't look bad at all, I might check out Congstar then. I was looking for somewhere in the 2GB-5GB range, so 3 works.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I'm kind of an idiot with space phones, but I have Blau.de prepaid and it's 5gb per month for 19,95. I assume you can use that with tablets? It's on E-plus, but it's fast enough for my purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I've lived in Germany for the past 6 months. I'm American, pretty Aryan-looking and speak German, for what it's worth.

Here's a partial list of baffling, terrible things that have happened to me:

When I went in to pick up residence permit, I said to the office worker the formal form of "Hello, how are you?", and the lady sat up straight as a bolt, said "Why would you ask me that?! We're not friends! I can't believe you would say such a thing to me!"

I saw an Indian girl at the Foreigners Office break down in tears after the guy refused to answer any of her questions in English, just saying, in perfect English "We don't speak English here. You have to speak German."

One time when I went to the Foreigner's Office, the ticket machine to get in the queue to be helped was broken. They had a sign (in German) saying to go make an appointment with the secretary. I asked the man sitting at the secretary's desk if I could make an appointment. He said the secretary was on vacation and would return in 4 weeks, and I had to wait until then to make an appointment. It was not possible to see anyone any other way. I went back the next week and

The Nazis had a big demonstration in my city against multiculturalism. I was at a very tiny counter-demonstration. The next day at university I asked my German classmates why they weren't at the counter-demonstration. At first they said they were afraid of the Nazis. I told them there were riot police there, and being afraid of Nazis is exactly why you need to fight them. To that, they replied that the Nazis had a point and that Muslims (especially Turks) are destroying Germany.

On three different occasions Germans have, completely unprompted, said something along the lines of "At least you're not Pakistani!" to me.

General inaccurate, anecdotal observations:

German shopkeepers/waiters/whatever service workers seem to have somewhere between complete indifference and total disdain for their customers. Maybe 10% of the time I'll get someone who actually makes eye contact when talking to me, and maybe 1% of the time they'll smile. However, Turks always seem to act like humans. I only shop at Turkish stores now if I can help it. Also, my bank is the most aggressively unhelpful bank I've ever dealt with.

Being punctual and well-prepared is something you have to do, but your "betters" can be as late and ill-prepared as they want. My professors were normally 10-20 min late every day, and always kept us over the time allotted.

Germans love telling you you're wrong, even when you're not. Besserwissen is a national past-time.

It's pretty uncommon for someone to yield to me on the sidewalk. I guess I'm supposed to push them out of the way?

It seems normal here to push past someone if they're in your way at the grocery store. Saying "excuse me" is apparently rude.

The trains are awesome, if you don't need to be anywhere at any particular time. If you need to make an important meeting, leave 3 hours early.

You can't buy Ibuprofen without being interrogated by a chemist, but 16-year-olds can buy as much beer as they want, no questions asked.

There are bakeries on every corner and they're all amazing.

Döner is mediocre at worst, but usually fantastic. It's everywhere and it's really cheap. This the best thing about Germany.

Germany seems super safe after living in a largish city in the States. I live in the "bad part of town" and that means there are a few brown people that live near me. I've only run into one scary crazy person.

Many Germans think Americans are fat, ignorant, racist gun nuts who eat at McDonalds and can't speak any other languages. It's weird how much they know about Missouri. . .

Many Germans are fat, ignorant, racist, eat at McDonalds and shop at strip malls. The culture war is over, and we won?

Apologies if that sounds overly negative. I've met some great people and had a wonderful time here. It's just not the magic socialist-industrial utopia I expected it to be.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2014