Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a PHP language specification. It has nothing to do with PHPNH nor HHVM.

well he said they were hhvm people so presumably this "specification" is related to it in some way. i'm just speculating that they are down in the dumps cause their project is gonna be useless.

and not just hhvm. the idea of having a "specification" for php is silly. you might as well try to specify the arrangement of grains of sand on a beach. when you need to see how something works, take 5 seconds and try it out yourself on the real living software, don't waste 5 hours digging through dead documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Php will not be eagerly adopted by the mainstream, it will be forced upon them. Forced, as in "compelled by economic reality". People will be forced to code in php, not because of 'the technology', but because no hiring manager will accept their worthless non-php knowledge. Contrary to popular belief, good technology drives out bad. This "driving out" has started as a small-scale hhvm adoption. It will rapidly escalate into Class IV hemorrhaging due to exponential optimization of the phpng runtime. The end result will be hyperphpization, i.e. "your c# skills are no good here".

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Tiny Bug Child posted:

and not just hhvm. the idea of having a "specification" for php is silly. you might as well try to specify the arrangement of grains of sand on a beach. when you need to see how something works, take 5 seconds and try it out yourself on the real living software, don't waste 5 hours digging through dead documents

you are an artist

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

I sit near the HHVM people who have been working on the PHP language specification we're about to publish. I don't know how they're ever sober enough to focus their eyes. They just radiate despair.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1480881.1480908

"... In PHP, assignment to variables copies the assigned values, according to its so-called copy-on-assignment semantics. In contrast, a typical PHP implementation uses a copy-on-write scheme to reduce the copy overhead by delaying copies as much as possible.

This leads us to ask if the semantics and implementation of PHP coincide, and actually this is not the case in the presence of sharings within values...."

poor sods

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

coffeetable posted:

c looks like a good first language if you consider computation to be something that's done by computers

well :what: else could it be? :allears:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

tef posted:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1480881.1480908

"... In PHP, assignment to variables copies the assigned values, according to its so-called copy-on-assignment semantics. In contrast, a typical PHP implementation uses a copy-on-write scheme to reduce the copy overhead by delaying copies as much as possible.

This leads us to ask if the semantics and implementation of PHP coincide, and actually this is not the case in the presence of sharings within values...."

poor sods

Php is an onion of failure

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

tractor fanatic posted:

the only exception you need to remember is that [] indicates a pointer, and not an array when it appears in the parameter list. it's not an array that's decayed to a pointer, it's just a pointer.

is there even a reason to have [] in a function signature?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

void poop_out_four_characters(char buttes[static 4]);

except it doesn't work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Bug Child posted:

well he said they were hhvm people so presumably this "specification" is related to it in some way. i'm just speculating that they are down in the dumps cause their project is gonna be useless.

no, it's a specification of the PHP5.6 behavior, so that people can agree on what the language does without hoping they thought of all the things to test in the live software. it'll be maintained by the php.net folks, we're just funding and doing the initial work. I suspect it'll be valuable to the PHPNG folks too.

HHVM is optimized for the things that Facebook runs, today. There are lots of ways to make it better, and a good team doing so, and lots of bugs open for easy perf wins that just haven't mattered to our stack. PHPNG is showing well on the subset it handles today, but AFAIK they have compatibility to restore as well, and JITs are notoriously hard to make stable and robust in production environments. My JIT was faster than Chrome's at first too (and PLDI accepted our paper instead of theirs, suck it Lars Bak), but there was a lot of leapfrogging and mutual pressure, and the architecture we chose turned out to not generalize as well as it needed to. It had to be thrown out, basically, and it took a couple more years to get back to parity. I'm not dismissing PHPNG by any means, and neither are the HHVM team, but the first few weeks of a new JIT are when it looks best, because of all the asterisks.

It would be pretty awesome if PHPNG obsoleted HHVM, or vice versa, but I suspect we'll end up with a world where they are better in different contexts. In the meantime, the PHP world may get to experience the ridiculous gains that JS saw during those first few years of the JS perf wars. That'll save a lot of watts around the world if it happens.

Edit: digging more deeply, the PHPNG wins have been internal-representation only, which is definitely impressive. It'll be interesting to watch the teams compete, I know they both take perf pretty personally.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 25, 2014

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

no, it's a specification of the PHP5.6 behavior, so that people can agree on what the language does without hoping they thought of all the things to test in the live software.

dude you can just get a copy of php 5.6. anyone can! it's not like you have to sit there and theorize about what it does. if people don't agree on what the language does in some instance... you can just run it and find out.

it's already it's own perfect specification. the only thing you get out of a hard copy is the possibility of introducing errors. imagine a religion that had no disagreement on any point of dogma because you could just go ask god. all questions can be resolved through appeal to the interpreter itself.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sort(T[] shitToSort);

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

template<typename T, size_t N> size_t arraylen(T(&)[N]) { return N; } :q:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Bug Child posted:

dude you can just get a copy of php 5.6. anyone can! it's not like you have to sit there and theorize about what it does. if people don't agree on what the language does in some instance... you can just run it and find out.

it's already it's own perfect specification. the only thing you get out of a hard copy is the possibility of introducing errors. imagine a religion that had no disagreement on any point of dogma because you could just go ask god. all questions can be resolved through appeal to the interpreter itself.

but you can't safely generalize from that, and the thesis only holds if you believe that the interpreter can't have bugs; php's history, like that of every language runtime I've ever used, indicates otherwise. the PHP folks seem pretty happy to have it too, FWIW. specifications are a much nicer way to reason about language features than is interpreter reading diffs.

all languages start out having a single implementation; do you believe that languages should not have specifications, but just "grab the tarball of jvm/gcc/etc. and try it"?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

php: holy program

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

sort(T[] shitToSort);

what's the length of shitToSort? if you're gonna say zero terminated then why don't you just give me a T* like you would if it was a c string (char*).

it adds nothing. yeah you can look at it and figure out its an array but a proper parameter name and doc comment would serve you better.

here is an actual question: does the compiler treat array and pointer params differently? are there any optimizations that run on one but not the other?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vanadium posted:

dependant types the best types

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Apparently you can also declare parameters to be of anonymous (or that-function-local) struct type in C and then have a sized array in that struct, but actually calling the function gets a bit tricky/pointless.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Vanadium posted:

i remember trying to use the parser generator for boost (pheonix) and the fucker was reaaalllly loving slow to build

like holly poo poo i have an ssd and it still took ages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's the length of shitToSort? if you're gonna say zero terminated then why don't you just give me a T* like you would if it was a c string (char*).

it adds nothing. yeah you can look at it and figure out its an array but a proper parameter name and doc comment would serve you better.

here is an actual question: does the compiler treat array and pointer params differently? are there any optimizations that run on one but not the other?

that doesn't make any sense at all. the length of shitToSort is unknown and if you were to pass whatever the hell T* is that's probably not an array so its no good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pointers are dumb useless poo poo that no one should use

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

here is a pointer for you 0xB16B00B5 lmao

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

but you can't safely generalize from that, and the thesis only holds if you believe that the interpreter can't have bugs; php's history, like that of every language runtime I've ever used, indicates otherwise. the PHP folks seem pretty happy to have it too, FWIW. specifications are a much nicer way to reason about language features than is interpreter reading diffs.

all languages start out having a single implementation; do you believe that languages should not have specifications, but just "grab the tarball of jvm/gcc/etc. and try it"?

ok well now you seem to be talking about what the interpreter should do; you said the specification was to resolve questions about what the interpreter does do. different things. is some kind of formal specification the best way to handle answering "should" questions? idk. i can see it being good for some projects. i can also see a more general statement of design goals and intent working for that.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
you've got it, specifying what an implementation should do is indeed the point of an implementation-independent specification. the point is that most langs don't just make things up as they go along

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you need a specification of what it should do because otherwise you can't tell whether anything it does do is a feature or a bug

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

You must be new here, obviously anything php does do is a feature.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ok well now you seem to be talking about what the interpreter should do; you said the specification was to resolve questions about what the interpreter does do. different things. is some kind of formal specification the best way to handle answering "should" questions? idk. i can see it being good for some projects. i can also see a more general statement of design goals and intent working for that.

tbc...was right ????? :wth:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you need a specification of what it should do because otherwise you can't tell whether anything it does do is a feature or a bug

hey i thought it was a dumb idea when he said it too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's found bugs in 5.6 by identifying places that were inconsistent, I believe, but it does currently document php5.6 warts and all. I apologize for sloppy language, I thought the intent was clear. it'll probably be helpful for 5.7 as well, and specifying how language changes should impact existing behaviour. afaik it's the first time anyone has actually written down what the interpreter does, such that people can look at it and decide which way to resolve inconsistencies.

my experience with language standardization is that it's basically a loop of
- write down what you think the language means
- see what the implementations actually do
- decide whether it's an implementation or spec bug
- repeat until you run out of time or questions to ask

how do you feel about code documentation? clearly you can just run it to find out what it actually does.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

have you considered just publishing a python spec and declaring all differences to be implementation bugs to be fixed in the next release

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Subjunctive posted:

I used to think specs mattered the most, then I wrote a C compiler frontend.

Now I think an open source canonical implementation and good test suites are a whole lot more useful than a spec.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's basically been done is the see-what-the-implementation-does strategy espoused above, in great detail, and then the results written down with the benefit of some abstraction. it's not prescriptive, unless the PHP-internals folks decide to make it so. it will be a good baseline for future language work, I think; people can obviously disagree about how valuable evolving PHP is.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
itt we argue about prescription vs description

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

that's not an "exception" to anything - it's arguable that the deceptive function signature "int decay(char[])" shouldn't be legal, but the semantics are pretty clear and obvious. as for when the array type is useful, consider the case where you want to initialize a buffer with a string literal but have it be writeable later.

it's totally obvious except that there are a set of unexpected exceptions, and an faq entry to explain how not to get hosed, and holy poo poo are you seriously making this argument?

i can't even maintain sarcasm here holy poo poo get hosed

C is a pretty good language but it has a shitload of warts, and array-pointer-decay is one of them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pee pee doo doo rasmus lehrdorf

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

is some kind of formal specification the best way to handle answering "should" questions? idk. i can see it being good for some projects. i can also see a more general statement of design goals and intent working for that.

specs are really for people implementing or extending php, not as much for using it. specs are about how features work in detail, the bigger picture that beginners don't really need to have a deep knowledge of.

although people using php should just try things out and explore, (and hey, this is a normal thing with repls like php -a), implementing a thing is a lot harder than just using a thing:

Subjunctive posted:

... the architecture we chose turned out to not generalize as well as it needed to.

and even when you have specs, it's hard. a good spec will confine your design and implementation. if all you have is exploration there is an awful lot more backtracking involved, as you stumble on the edge cases one by one

tef fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 26, 2014

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
a move to a specification is really about interoperability and guarantees about implementations

or, if you like, moving away from implementation defined things to specification defined things means the features users explore on one implementation should work the same way across implementations, as long as you're not doing invasive things

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

this is why you should never use objects in java :v:

Subjunctive posted:

(and PLDI accepted our paper instead of theirs, suck it Lars Bak)

:3:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

tef posted:

this is why you should never use objects in java :v:

:3:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?