Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

So they can fill the timeslot with something that will get higher ratings. Like more Spongebob reruns.
But it's online only!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But it's online only!

There's only so much room in the tubes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Episodes will start online next Friday. August 22 is the two-part Book 3 finale.

Also, in terms of online activity, the Book 2 finale (which if you'll recall premiered online a week before it aired on TV) was the single biggest event for Nickelodeon in 2013.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
And for some reason the live fanblog I'm following is posting unmarked spoilers about the episode that's airing tonight.

If anyone's down for spoiling themselves over tonight's episode here's a link to a liveblog of the panel. If someone could talk about what gets said at the Q&A without spoiling anything that'd be cool.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 25, 2014

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Episodes will start online next Friday. August 22 is the two-part Book 3 finale.

Also, in terms of online activity, the Book 2 finale (which if you'll recall premiered online a week before it aired on TV) was the single biggest event for Nickelodeon in 2013.

From posts of someone at the panel, Nick originally planned this season to be online only because the digital views for Korra have far outmatched the TV ones. After the leaks they must have just freaked out. I don't get why they didn't just announce a TV marathon of books 1 and/or 2 over the course of 2/3 weeks (2 episodes a night or so) to give them time to set up online viewing of the whole thing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And for some reason the live fanblog I'm following is posting unmarked spoilers about the episode that's airing tonight.

Good thing you're my authoritative source of Korra news or I'd be pretty upset right now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

quote:

Q: Can we have the voice actors sing “secret tunnel” as their characters.

The voice actors will NOW sing SECRET TUNNEL in the voices of their characters, with the help of dee bradley baker!

I hope video of this shows up online.

And I cannot wait for this:

"Varrick's childhood will be talked about later in the season. It's apparently "beyond belief.""

v v v Haha, wow, that was fast! Thanks!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 25, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Don't say I never did anything for you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

And I cannot wait for this:

"Varrick's childhood will be talked about later in the season. It's apparently "beyond belief.""

Calling firebenders, right now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's not gonna be a Korra panel at SDCC next year, but there may be one at NYCC. :unsmith:
Also they showed a quick trailer for the second half of the season, which I'm sure will be online soon enough.
So, to recap:
Korra's going digital, we're still getting Book 4. It's not that Nickelodeon thinks Korra is completely worthless as an IP, it's just that its value lies entirely in its online presence.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Korra's going digital, we're still getting Book 4. It's not that Nickelodeon thinks Korra is completely worthless as an IP, it's just that its value lies entirely in its online presence.

So... is there any good answer for why, if this is the case, they refused to make it available online before now and actually made a point to mention that in their ads?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

So... is there any good answer for why, if this is the case, they refused to make it available online before now and actually made a point to mention that in their ads?
If I had to guess, they probably wanted to convert online-only watchers to TV, and failed. I'd assume TV watchers are more profitable.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's not gonna be a Korra panel at SDCC next year, but there may be one at NYCC. :unsmith:
Also they showed a quick trailer for the second half of the season, which I'm sure will be online soon enough.
So, to recap:

Interesting.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Possibly an attempt to see just how much value could be placed in the show's TV watching audience, and it turned out to be basically nothing. It's also likely that this was planned in some fashion even before the leaks, but Nick's resulting UTTER loving PANIC changed things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Makes sense. Us older folks like watching it online more anyway, the kids who might not be able to do it aren't even watching the show in the first place, and they can sell ad space for whatever demographic because it's online, flexible, and the viewer had to deliberately seek it out vs flipping on the TV.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Korra's going digital
That's rather... broad. Do we know the exact services the season will be on?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

X_Toad posted:

That's rather... broad. Do we know the exact services the season will be on?

Hulu, Amazon,Google Play, the Nick.com website.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hulu it is! Never bother with Nick again :v:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Hulu, Amazon,Google Play, the Nick.com website.
No iTunes? Rats. How easy is it to get videos from the U.S. Google Play store if you're not from the U.S.?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's also available on xbox video, which is how I'm watching on my surface. It's really strange that it's not on itunes, like 50% of digital download revenue is from itunes.

If you're on a PC go the amazon route, they let you download videos (same with xbox video but that's windows 8 only).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

X_Toad posted:

No iTunes? Rats. How easy is it to get videos from the U.S. Google Play store if you're not from the U.S.?

Get the Hola extension and just watch it on Nick.com, support this stuff

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Get the Hola extension and just watch it on Nick.com, support this stuff

I've been trying, it just auto-redirects to nick.co.uk with Hola and without.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Where's she getting that water from, thin air? Immersion ruined. :colbert:

no that looks pretty great

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, I'm pretty okay with that. I'd like to see her fighting more than just one mook, but it looks pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I choose to believe Korra literally made him explode.

Also they do seem to be recycling some of the Revengence engine there.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think that was probably one of the best action sequences the show has ever done.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

dude789 posted:

I think that was probably one of the best action sequences the show has ever done.

Holy poo poo yes. There was so much creativity and tactical thought on display.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I hope they make some of the fights as crazy and fun as the boss fights in Revengeance. If it's half as fun to play as that, it'll be a great game.

The guy she's fighting is like 7 feet tall though, what's with that?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Arrggggh that cliffhanger....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kojiro posted:

I hope they make some of the fights as crazy and fun as the boss fights in Revengeance. If it's half as fun to play as that, it'll be a great game.

The guy she's fighting is like 7 feet tall though, what's with that?

Could just be a tall dude. Tenzin's at least a head over Korra at all times for example.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It would've been pretty neat if they ended the episode at the explosion as a cliffhanger. Then all the kids would've thought Korra died instead of watching the rest online.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

You know what's funny? I didn't even know they played Book 2 of Korra until I randomly turn to Nick tonight and see a Book 3 episode. And you guys are saying that this is the last episode before they go online only? Are you sure they wanted people to watch it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If it weren't because Su couldn't have known she'd survive that cable drop with Lin thanks to Bolin's sniping, I'd be betting on her orchestrating this with (or maybe even without, dude knew he was suspected off then went behind a wall of metal, anything could've happened in that room/tunnel) nosepierce-liedetector-mcmetalbender... just the way she lied to Lin right after we get her utterly shocked reactions at someone lying to her, along with just sending Team Avatar out there with no backup whatsoever, seems too ideal for the Red Lotus.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm actually curious as to why the badguys want to kidnap korra even if it turns out to be lame. Will there be more cool as hell fights like from this episode? Will Bolin learn metalbending or lavabending or will he find something new? Is Tenzin gonna arrive with an airbender army to help them out? Will Korra mix metalbending and lightning bending (also does she still have those hip whip things)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Even after 3 seasons Korra still tries to punch through everything. Metal wall shoots up from the floor? Rather then bend it back down she just tries to punch a hole in it.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wonder how Ai Wei even knows the Red Lotus team. Team Avatar came to Zaofu pretty randomly. Yet somehow, in one random city Korra goes to, Red Lotus has an insider? Weird.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

pentyne posted:

Even after 3 seasons Korra still tries to punch through everything. Metal wall shoots up from the floor? Rather then bend it back down she just tries to punch a hole in it.

Yeah, I didn't get that. It's not just Korra's fault either: the guy didn't bend a whole cage around them, he just put up one wall. There's a window ten feet to your left, guys! Just go around!

But seriously, that extended fight sequence was amazing. It's one thing to choreograph a fight between 2-3 people for an extended time period. It's another to have like 15+ people all doing things. Those mook guards running around throwing up barriers and trying to slowly get across the lava all while the protagonists are exchanging fire with the fearsome four was just beautiful.

Every episode I'm afraid that the quality is finally going to taper off, and then they manage to up the ante again. I am legit hooked by that cliffhanger now. Bravo, Korra. :allears:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AshB posted:

I wonder how Ai Wei even knows the Red Lotus team. Team Avatar came to Zaofu pretty randomly. Yet somehow, in one random city Korra goes to, Red Lotus has an insider? Weird.

He was probably the one that sent Korra word that there was an airbender there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Kazy posted:

He was probably the one that sent Korra word that there was an airbender there.

But how could he possibly have known Zaheer and co. would find them there? I don't think Zaheer gained the spiritual projection power until he raided the Air Temple.

• Locked thread