Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Testekill posted:

Only reason I can think of is diminishing returns.

It's this, specifically when you achieve SSJ zenkais stop being a thing. AKA Toriyama forgot when he started the Cell saga

Shindragon posted:

I wonder if Vegeta knew that when he decided to abuse the Sayian power rule.

That's why Krillin had to blast him instead of him doing it to himself: to conserve ki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

visceril posted:

It's this, specifically when you achieve SSJ zenkais stop being a thing. AKA Toriyama forgot when he started the Cell saga

That's why Krillin had to blast him instead of him doing it to himself: to conserve ki

Doesn't Cell get a Zenkai when he blows himself up?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RickoniX posted:

Doesn't Cell get a Zenkai when he blows himself up?

It was probably his first time; everyone (with Saiyan DNA in them) gets at least one.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Also cell never went SSJ......interesting to see if he could.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

He sparkles like a SS2 when he comes back, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You could probably consider his form after he comes back from the explosion a kind of Super Saiyan form, he even has the electricity around him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
After he comes back, he's called Super Perfect Cell, so that's likely. Makes you wonder if someone could zenkai into SSJ then, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

After he comes back, he's called Super Perfect Cell, so that's likely. Makes you wonder if someone could zenkai into SSJ then, though.

I always figured Goku did. He was crazy strong from his training, and his body getting trashed during Ginyu's bullshit was the last push he needed to hit Super Saiyan when Frieza pissed him off enough to let loose.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Dende's healing ability doesn't replenish ki. He is literally a White Mage, and White Mages can't heal MP.

But then again, their whole plan at that point was to teleport Dende to Goku so he could replenish his depleted energy, wasn't it? Otherwise, what would have been the point in healing him? He didn't use the physical strength to launch the Spirit Bomb.

On the other hand, maybe it was physical strength and I'm just a dumb guy doubting the logic of a cartoon.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 25, 2014

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Cell coming back to life was one of the worst retcons in the series IMO.

If the explosion was so powerful that it was going to destroy earth and Goku had to sacrifice himself, King Kai, and Bojack to save the planet, then it's definitely powerful enough to make sure every living cell at the epicenter of the blast is dead. If it could kill god and a SSJ2, it could kill every cell at the center.

Also, where the hell was that 1 important cell during Goku's teleport+max kamehameha? Did it move super-fast into his legs?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

visceril posted:

Cell coming back to life was one of the worst retcons in the series IMO.

If the explosion was so powerful that it was going to destroy earth and Goku had to sacrifice himself, King Kai, and Bojack to save the planet, then it's definitely powerful enough to make sure every living cell at the epicenter of the blast is dead. If it could kill god and a SSJ2, it could kill every cell at the center.

Also, where the hell was that 1 important cell during Goku's teleport+max kamehameha? Did it move super-fast into his legs?

It's not a retcon if it's literally the next event to happen. It's a reveal at best. Also King Kai isn't like, super strong or anything so killing him is probably easy as killing Old Man Kami. Dude was shaking in his boots about Freeza, he can't be too tough.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Ok maybe wrong word to use but the point stands. The blast was so powerful it killed Goku. How the gently caress did that 1 important cell survive.

Also how did it survive Goku's kamehameha and Gohan's rear end-beating?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

visceril posted:

Ok maybe wrong word to use but the point stands. The blast was so powerful it killed Goku. How the gently caress did that 1 important cell survive.

It's very well protected?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

PiedPiper posted:

But then again, their whole plan at that point was to teleport Dende to Goku so he could replenish his depleted energy, wasn't it? Otherwise, what would have been the point in healing him? He didn't use the physical strength to launch the Spirit Bomb.

They didn't have any other options at that point so it was better than nothing. v:shobon:v

visceril posted:

Cell can move it around his body at will. Also it's been explicitly stated that if you want to get rid of something for good, you need to use ki.

Basically Goku should have tried the Spirit Bomb. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Didn't Cell explicitly say that even he didn't know how he survived the explosion?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Some Numbers posted:

Didn't Cell explicitly say that even he didn't know how he survived the explosion?

Pretty much. If I recall right, the original english dub made it seem that Cell had this grand plan. The actual dialogue though was Cell had no clue how he survived nor did he have any intention of things working out the way it did.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't see how it's a retcon. I mean, his name is even Cell so something like that was going to happen at some point. As to how he survived, it's not ridiculous to think that his body is setup to use all his energy to protect a single cell so it can survive the explosion.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

And he didn't even know he had those powers of regeneration stored in his DNA until Piccolo regrew his arm.
It's all that Namekian's fault!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I've been checking out non perfect Cell stuff since anything besides his perfect form is a blur and first form is a lot cooler than I remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1wqBsnh1E&t=2m26s
The dub will sometimes give him a deep monster voice on top of his regular one. It's neat.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Related, but I've always wondered why Goku never taught Gohan instant transmission. It seems like that would be a good idea for him to do if he thought he might not survive the Cell Games.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Related, but I've always wondered why Goku never taught Gohan instant transmission. It seems like that would be a good idea for him to do if he thought he might not survive the Cell Games.

Goku seems pretty stingy. You'd think letting the others in on Kaioken would help the human fighters.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

Goku seems pretty stingy. You'd think letting the others in on Kaioken would help the human fighters.

Hell, I always just wanted to see him use Kaioken as a Super Saiyan. It's just a power multiplier, I don't see why it couldn't work. And it gives him a bitchin' red glow!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hell, I always just wanted to see him use Kaioken as a Super Saiyan. It's just a power multiplier, I don't see why it couldn't work. And it gives him a bitchin' red glow!

He did, but it was only during the filler Otherworld Tournament.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Squallege posted:

To be fair, King Kai could have taught a number of them too. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

They were too busy standing around looking shocked and worried.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know if this was just theorizing or some quote from something, but I recall something about the strain of it not being worth the rewards?

MastG
May 25, 2014

HGH posted:

I don't know if this was just theorizing or some quote from something, but I recall something about the strain of it not being worth the rewards?

Yeah, it's too expensive and ruins your body. It's not worth using.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The only one who'd have benefitted from Kaioken would be Future Trunks, the dude just doesn't waste time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MastG posted:

Yeah, it's too expensive and ruins your body. It's not worth using.

Seems like it could have been useful when he was dead, at least.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Super Saiyan 3 Kaioken x 20 would probably make even Goku's soul explode.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, in the Otherworld Tournament he DOES use it, but it still shows Goku visibly tired after using it.
The "Super Kaioken" he used basically gave him a power equivalent to Super 2, but was far more draining to use and didn't last nearly as long, so overall it's more inefficient.

Humans and Piccolo could have benefited from it, but series focus was never really on them by the end.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Squallege posted:

Super Saiyan 3 Kaioken x 20 would probably make even Goku's soul explode.

...loving worth it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

...loving worth it.

Use it to punch Bills' head off and then implode.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Considering they have dragonballs to revive him anyway, Goku should be doing that to OHKO every bad guy in the first place.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok the new DBM chapter's art is hella bad rear end. I was skeptical at first but I'm sold.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

facebook jihad posted:

Ok the new DBM chapter's art is hella bad rear end. I was skeptical at first but I'm sold.

It's ridiculously detailed. Insane.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well Movie 4 Goku used Kaioken x 100 which, if you know the SSJ multiplier is only 50x, means that Kaioken is stronger than Super Saiyan.

Then again, Movie 4 is just the perfect storm of Teoi not giving a gently caress. Goku turned Super Saiyan before he did in the anime or manga(or so I hear), the whole plot is just a rehash of King Piccolo and then of course the Kaioken being stronger than Super Saiyan just makes the SSJ transformation stupid and pointless.
Oh and SPIRIT BOMB SAVES THE DAY. Again.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well Movie 4 Goku used Kaioken x 100 which, if you know the SSJ multiplier is only 50x, means that Kaioken is stronger than Super Saiyan.

Then again, Movie 4 is just the perfect storm of Teoi not giving a gently caress. Goku turned Super Saiyan before he did in the anime or manga(or so I hear), the whole plot is just a rehash of King Piccolo and then of course the Kaioken being stronger than Super Saiyan just makes the SSJ transformation stupid and pointless.
Oh and SPIRIT BOMB SAVES THE DAY. Again.

But Kaioken puts a lot more strain on his body doesn't it? Wait... really... am I trying to justify that poo poo movie, I feel dirty. I need a shower.

I really wanted to go see Battle of the Gods in thearters, but it appears it's only coming to random theaters outside Boston at like 7 pm on like one day. :saddowns: I just can't make it there after I get out of work really.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Teaser for the next movie is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Could Goku create a spirit bomb so big even he couldn't lift it?

• Locked thread