Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
In the funny panels thread, I occasionally see a version of Spider-man where Peter Parker is out having goofy all-ages adventures, alongside a girl with Snow White animal controlling powers - what series is that, and is it collected anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Marvel Adventures? Or...newspaper Spiderman????

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

It definitely wasn't a newspaper comic. I picked up some Marvel Adventures on Comixology hoping that was it, but they seemed really bad - just simplified retellings with no fresh ideas. Does the series change writers at some point?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

They might run out! :ohdear:

Keep this poo poo in the cesspit that is Games.

\/\/The pre-order "debate" that shits up every new game thread in games.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 25, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^
I was just making a joke--I don't actually care at all. I buy like one game a year.

Soonmot posted:

Keep this poo poo in the cesspit that is Games.
:raise:

Huh?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 25, 2014

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Squidster posted:

It definitely wasn't a newspaper comic. I picked up some Marvel Adventures on Comixology hoping that was it, but they seemed really bad - just simplified retellings with no fresh ideas. Does the series change writers at some point?

Yeah - I don't remember when exactly but it becomes a sort of teen drama with Gwen on the run from the mafia and Emma Frost having a crush on Peter, who is dating Chat? (talks to animal girl) her best friend.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

goldenoreos posted:

Nah the answer is not to play any Arkham game past the original.

Actually they are all good.

The more you know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't played the third, but the first two were good though Asylum was better than City.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had enough of that series after City, which I thought was much worse than Asylum in pretty much every way barring the few additions they made to the combat. Origins was complete garbage and I could not give less of a gently caress about the new one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

I had enough of that series after City, which I thought was much worse than Asylum in pretty much every way barring the few additions they made to the combat. Origins was complete garbage and I could not give less of a gently caress about the new one.

Let's all ignore that the people who made Origins weren't involved with any of the other games.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

Actually Origins was not garbage, but it was definitely less good because of how rushed it was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Let's all ignore that the people who made Origins weren't involved with any of the other games.

Not really? It's the same loving game, and if I didn't like City or Origins I'm probably not going to like the new one regardless of whether or not it was made by Rocksteady or whatever the gently caress internal studio made Origins. Like the open world stuff does nothing for me, and the writing in City was even worse than Origins. Now their grand new paradigm shift is to add driving? Sign me the gently caress up. There's just complete diminishing returns on that series for me.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 25, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squidster posted:

Yeah, around issue 30 something it changes to original stories. It's where all those avatars of Spider-Man in a hardhat came from

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

Not really? It's the same loving game, and if I didn't like City or Origins I'm probably not going to like the new one regardless of whether or not it was made by Rocksteady or whatever the gently caress internal studio made Origins. Like the open world stuff does nothing for me, and the writing in City was even worse than Origins. Now their grand new paradigm shift is to add driving? Sign me the gently caress up. There's just complete diminishing returns on that series for me.

I got to play all of them for free, so I enjoyed all of them.

makes u think

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I got to play all of them for free, so I enjoyed all of them.

makes u think

I got Origins for free with my graphics card and I still didn't think it was worth it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, around issue 30 something it changes to original stories. It's where all those avatars of Spider-Man in a hardhat came from
I went out to my local comic store and found that a mother had bought their last digests for her kids last week. Those punks could never appreciate Spider-man like I could appreciate Spider-man.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

I got Origins for free with my graphics card and I still didn't think it was worth it.

That is bordering on weird aggressive towards the game.

Actually, not bordering, it's just weird. The game wasn't amazing, but it was definitely fine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It was bad, mate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

That is bordering on weird aggressive towards the game.

Actually, not bordering, it's just weird. The game wasn't amazing, but it was definitely fine.

I gave it a shot and stopped playing probably about halfway through 'cause I just hated it. I thought it was aggressively lazy and boring and like I said I didn't really like City to begin with. It's the definition of making GBS threads out yet another sequel. It occupies the same space in my mind that something like Assassin's Creed 3 does - it's not poorly made, but it's just not worth spending any time on because it's so by the numbers mediocre.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 26, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dan Didio posted:

It was bad, mate.

Yep

First two are good but City suffers from having to do too much at once and a really dumb plot.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

I gave it a shot and stopped playing probably about halfway through 'cause I just hated it. I thought it was aggressively lazy and boring and like I said I didn't really like City to begin with. It's the definition of making GBS threads out yet another sequel. It occupies the same space in my mind that something like Assassin's Creed 3 does - it's not poorly made, but it's just not worth spending any time on because it's so by the numbers mediocre.

I was stuck at my parent's house without any internet for a day, so I appreciated it. Sorry it infuriated you? :shobon:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I was stuck at my parent's house without any internet for a day, so I appreciated it. Sorry it infuriated you? :shobon:

Would you enjoy a bag full of spiders, if it was free?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Squidster posted:

I went out to my local comic store and found that a mother had bought their last digests for her kids last week. Those punks could never appreciate Spider-man like I could appreciate Spider-man.

Please have a SpiderHyphenMan like breakdown.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Yep

First two are good but City suffers from having to do too much at once and a really dumb plot.

And they brought back the joker. God drat it. Batman has so many interesting villains but that loser in white face gets all the attention.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The moment you realize that, yep, it's gonna be the Joker's Fault again is the worst moment of Origins. A game that really couldn't push past that hamstringing.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Am I being overly tumblr-y if I think that calling the debut mini series of the new black captain american FEAR HIM is kinda hosed up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

omnibobb posted:

Please have a SpiderHyphenMan like breakdown.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I got origins for sale on PSN just now, and it's pretty fun in its own right, even if I think having the gadget controls changed for no reason to be hosed.

What major announcements have come out of DC? I can keep up with Marvel's liveblogs but DC's layout is way more confusing.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Arkham Origins was so weird. It had the best story of an Arkham game and the only actually enjoyable boss fights of the series but it was just a chore to play otherwise. The side quests and the encounters on the overworld were such a slog that I stopped before I did most of them.

Plus it was kinda crippled by the game-breaking bugs (the PS3 version is still hosed up, last I checked) and the weirdest broken unlock system.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Plus it was kinda crippled by the game-breaking bugs (the PS3 version is still hosed up, last I checked) and the weirdest broken unlock system.

The unlocks made me stop. That and how the game reuses characters from the past installments. It's not just the Joker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I skipped Origins because I learned my lesson about sequels made by nobody third party studios when Ultimate Alliance 2 was boring, buggy and sad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Origins is a better game than City. The only thing wrong with it is that it wasn't made before City, because by the time Origins came out people wanted to move on to something other than the same gadgets and the same villains of the first game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I will forever play UA1 because it lets you play as Doctor Strange and do crazy moves like spinning enemies like toy tops after grappling with them or literally turning them into boxes.

I don't think I ever played UA2 again even though it was boasting two sides for two playthroughs!!! :sigh:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Kramjacks posted:

Would you enjoy a bag full of spiders, if it was free?

gently caress yeah, spiders are hella cool.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

theflyingorc posted:

Actually they are all good.

The more you know.

No they're not all made equal. The inclusion of an open world mechanic made the other Arkham games much more lifeless than Arkham Asylum. That and playing as Catwoman in AC was a disaster.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Arkham Asylum is a great Batman game and great Metroidvania game (some horrible designs aside). Arkham City has a terrible story but I like the idea of getting to be Batman running around solving multiple crimes and villains on the one night, even if it makes it feel like a Loeb Greatest Hits story. Of course all that would be fine if you could actually play as Catwoman for two seconds without having some guy shout at you about how much of a bitch you are.

Origins felt too bland to be offensive really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

Am I being overly tumblr-y if I think that calling the debut mini series of the new black captain american FEAR HIM is kinda hosed up?

Wait, seriously? That's kinda hosed up. If "him" is the villain it's kinda okay, but still a little weird.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Waterhaul posted:

Arkham Asylum is a great Batman game and great Metroidvania game (some horrible designs aside). Arkham City has a terrible story but I like the idea of getting to be Batman running around solving multiple crimes and villains on the one night, even if it makes it feel like a Loeb Greatest Hits story. Of course all that would be fine if you could actually play as Catwoman for two seconds without having some guy shout at you about how much of a bitch you are.

Origins felt too bland to be offensive really.

My favorite part of Asylum is when you beat Poison Ivy and then Batman calls for the Batwing to deliver an item that unlocks like half the secrets on the map that he could have just had delivered at the very beginning of the game but didn't because Metroidvania. It's such a bald-faced construct and such lovely plotting.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like the REC gun from the games because I cannot imagine Batman routinely tasing dudes with an MIB rifle anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Don't want to bring down the thread for comic con so I'll ask here.

Is the con more than just one big advert? From my perception that's what it is.

I was hoping maybe somebody here who's been could tell me if there's more to it.

• Locked thread