Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Lynza posted:

Pledged!

Super excited to help out. I'm sure you guys will hit your goal.

Thanks so much! We're pretty sure we will too now, we're at 99% today! :D I guess that's the normal way it goes with KS, a bunch of people pledge at the beginning, it slows down a lot in the middle and then there's a final surge at the end. Now we have to think up some flex goals...I've been working on a Spanish for Adventure Motorcycles quick reference quide. A small laminated booklet with translations for moto parts and useful questions, so we'll probably include that with the DVD if we get another 1k or something. If anyone has any ideas about anything else that my be fun/useful/rad, we are all ears!

Safety Dance posted:

I bumped up my pledge to pick up a wallet as well!

YAY! Thank you!!!

Sagebrush posted:

I pledged at the wallet level also. But it didn't ask for a shipping address anywhere...it may have tried to suck it from Facebook but I don't think I have my address on Facebook so??? So if you get one for a wallet with no address, PM me.

Yeah the pledges don't process until the end (and then only if it's successful) and I believe you won't be asked for an address until I email everyone at your tier level. This makes sense because I might need some addresses (say, for postcards) now, but the DVD won't be finished and ready to ship until some months after we reach the bottom, so then I'll message that group. If KS collected all the addresses now, a number of people might have moved by the time their rewards are ready to ship. Postcards, wallets, bracelets and molas will ship from down here and t-shirts, stickers & DVDs will ship from the US much later. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

More like 100% :toot:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

MORE LIKE 103% FUNDED!!! :toot: We're staying with a Couchsurfer couple here in Popayan, Colombia and there's a couple from Europe staying too, so we bought a nice bottle of wine and we're going to have a BBQ and ping pong tournament party! :yotj: (I don't know what it is about people with stay with building ping pong tables, apparently the sport is making a comeback?)

TODAYS 12 DAYS OF KICKSTARTER POST:
Reaching our goal means the Motoventuring Documentary is 100% happening! We still have a solid week to reach beyond our goal and that's awesome! Andrea's bike is in the shop undergoing some serious engine repair, so every extra bit really matters! Thank you so much to all our backers and everyone who liked, shared and flyered the town on our behalf! It feels amazing to reach our goal ahead of schedule and we very literally couldn't have done it without you! 7 days left, let's see where we can get! :)

DAY 6 - WTF PSYCHEDELIC MOLA- This awesomely weird mola features...some sort of bizarre creature emerging from a swirly primordial landscape. We don't know what it is, but we love it! It was hand made by the Kuna women of the San Blas islands of Panama. Each piece is carefully crafted with cut layers of brightly colored fabric and hand stitched! There´s only one so grab it while you can!

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 24, 2014

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
++++++++++WE REACHED OUR 10K GOAL! +++++++++

+++++++So we're adding a 12K FLEX GOAL!+++++++

If we reach our new goal, all DVDs will ship with a free SPANISH FOR ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLES QUICK GUIDE! This will be a small laminated booklet made to stuff into a tank bag and has Spanish/English translations for motorcycle parts and frequently needed questions and answers like: "How fast does your motorcycle go?", "Can I camp here for free if I buy some tacos?" and "One more beer please!"

And for todays 12 days of kickstarter we have a beautiful BEADED COLOMBIAN FLOWER NECKLACE - -This colorful and complex beaded flower necklace was handmade by an artisan in Popayan, Colombia. There's only one, so get it while you can! $55 ships anywhere in the world!

KICKSTARTER LINK

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hey, congrats on the 100%! :)

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I donated a while back and I know it's a little late but I threw you guys up on our blog, we get about a thousand or so people reading our nonsense so maybe it will help. http://hipsterbikevideos.com/kickstarter/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You can't put them on your blog, they don't wear biltwells.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Feel good friday post

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

HNasty posted:

I donated a while back and I know it's a little late but I threw you guys up on our blog, we get about a thousand or so people reading our nonsense so maybe it will help. http://hipsterbikevideos.com/kickstarter/

HAHA thanks man! Geezus, I just spent my morning reading more of your site with my face screwed up and thinking "Please don't let the hipstes ruin motorcycles too!"

I've always liked cafe racers and have been wanting to buy an old crappy one and make it beautiful, but that community looks like a minefield of douchebags now. I think the next nook of motorcycle subculture I need to explore might have to be rat bikes. I saw an incredible one in Medellin. They're so customized and so unpretentious, I seriously spent 30 minutes checking out all the weird little details. Electric razor hanging off the battery if you need a quick shave, taxidermied rat on one side, rubber chicken on the other. A thousand weird, dirty, rusty things dangling and each with their own story. I really wanted to meet the owner. And now that we just watched Andrea's engine get repaired with sand paper and super glue, I want to have my own cheap bikes to play around with ghetto fixes and see how much you can really get away with.

A friend of ours wants to crowdsource making a movie about trying to find his grandfather's buried treasure in the desert (no joke, he has a map!) I told him to wait til we get back and let's go on motorcycles, he seemed interested so we'll see what happens with that! :) At least if we go on rat bikes we'll have some fun adventures fixing things and will have some fun stories even if we never find the gold!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Here's our new episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?nSerKkKP6QI

In honor of our new episode, this chess set features hand painted pieces, conquistadors and indigenous people and a colorful game board. The compact box folds in half for easy transport and has bizarre patterns and trippy nature scenes on the sides! $45 ships anywhere in the world!

CLICK HERE--> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4955064/motoventuring-two-chicks-ride-to-argentina

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That video didn't work for me because of a spurious slash. Here's the one from your email.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSerKkKP6QI

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So is jumping over a fire naked the Colombian version of a brazilian?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

n8r posted:

So is jumping over a fire naked the Colombian version of a brazilian?

:lol:

DAY 9 - MUY INTERESANTE - VINTAGE SPANISH SCIENCE MAGAZINE Wondering about the language of the future? Curious about your horoscope or how to grow lettuce in space? This scientific relic answers these important questions and more! Also comes with a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD + POSTCARD! $30 ships anywhere in the world!

CLICK HERE--> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4955064/motoventuring-two-chicks-ride-to-argentina

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 28, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Escorpion el sexo

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Doh, the chess set is all gone. That's what I get for snoozing. Great blog, best one SA has ever seen for sure.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
DAY 10 - RECYCLED MOTORCYCLE PARTS DREAM CATCHER - We made this dream catcher with love out of an old clutch plate, stator wire and a few other motorcycle parts while working on Andrea's bike today! We're only making 5 of these so get them while you can! Also comes with a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD + POSTCARD! $50 ships anywhere in the world!

If you buy this dream catcher you will dream ONLY of motorcycles*

CLICK HERE

*This claim has not been verified by a physician.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ok that's awesome

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Chris Knight posted:

Ok that's awesome

Thanks :) Our hotel room is a disaster area of clutch plates and dismembered stators. :P

Andrea just headed over to the mechanics to put the engine together for hopefully the last time and do a test ride. If it works, we're out of this town manana! Cross your fingers and wish us luck!!!

And here's a new episode too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0r6IbW_W4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did Andrea get extra stoned for her birthday?

Also, :lol: at guitar guy

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

slidebite posted:

Did Andrea get extra stoned for her birthday?

Also, :lol: at guitar guy

Nope. That was only our second night in Medellin, it took us a few days to find the good park. :P But seriously Colombia is a stoners paradise, people are literally giving it away and the quality is the best since California. My Spanish has improved a lot since getting here, I can now have existential conversations in a second language! :) It's actually easier to have an interesting scientific or political conversation because most of the words have the same Latin roots. So I just bullshit Spanishify whatever I want to say and Matias is like "yeah that's a word" and then I laugh my rear end off for five minutes. Guess the Spanish words: nueronas, genetica, justicias sociales, galaxia. Shits the loving same!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Also the guitar dude cracked us up so hard because in person he's super serious. He was celebrating his new job as a professor! We found this after we moved to another host and we felt like we missed out on meeting that side of him haha.

MrKatharsis posted:

Doh, the chess set is all gone. That's what I get for snoozing. Great blog, best one SA has ever seen for sure.

If you want one, shoot me an email at motoventuring at gmail and I can probably make it happen. :) We've found some more of them because friends wanted them too. All the boards have totally different designs and there are three sizes. Small, smaller and tiny. We got a tiny one to carry on the bikes, but whenever I play locals they pick the natives and I feel like an rear end in a top hat winning as the conquistadors. I learned a lot playing that guy in the San Blas. I've been slaughtering at chess here in Colombia. I really like it as an activity while traveling. You transcend language and get to interact on a level playing field. And people surprise you. That Kuna dude living on a little island kicked our asses, but I beat a law student the other day! :D

And thanks for the glowing compliment! :blush:

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Becktastic posted:

whenever I play locals they pick the natives and I feel like an rear end in a top hat winning as the conquistadors.

Is that what they call the black side vs the white side?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Is that what they call the black side vs the white side?

In the set on the kickstarter the pieces are figurines of natives and conquistadors.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

echomadman posted:

In the set on the kickstarter the pieces are figurines of natives and conquistadors.

Okay, I missed that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Found a new bike for you if you ever need to increase your ADV

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Found a new bike for you if you ever need to increase your ADV

Ha nice! Seriously all Andrea and I talk about is how we want SMALLER bikes when we get home. Can you find me a KTM300 2-stroke with zebra stripes? I actually have a new crazy paint job idea for my next bike too. :D

Sorry for the delay in episode posting. We have 3 freaking episodes done, but apparently Ecuadorian internet sucks so we haven't been able to upload them. :/

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Becktastic posted:

Can you find me a KTM300 2-stroke with zebra stripes? I actually have a new crazy paint job idea for my next bike too. :D

tiger stripe ktm fender on my drz:

stripes are in this year I think??

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Becktastic posted:

Ha nice! Seriously all Andrea and I talk about is how we want SMALLER bikes when we get home. Can you find me a KTM300 2-stroke with zebra stripes? I actually have a new crazy paint job idea for my next bike too. :D

Sorry for the delay in episode posting. We have 3 freaking episodes done, but apparently Ecuadorian internet sucks so we haven't been able to upload them. :/

Here you go:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4574674995.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This is a little old, but I can't figure or what Andrea is saying in the last line of the video... did she say someone put glitter in her gun? Just curious whether you two have some sort of means of personal protection, and if so, how such a thing would be handled at border crossings? If this isn't something you're inclined to answer, I completely understand :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is a little old, but I can't figure or what Andrea is saying in the last line of the video... did she say someone put glitter in her gun? Just curious whether you two have some sort of means of personal protection, and if so, how such a thing would be handled at border crossings? If this isn't something you're inclined to answer, I completely understand :)

Glitter in her [vagina]

e. You Ohio boys are so innocent.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Vagaziling, it's all the rage nowadays.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Glitter in her [vagina]

e. You Ohio boys are so innocent.

Hahaha, that makes more sense. I feel like carrying a gun would just invite more trouble than it might theoretically prevent

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hahaha, that makes more sense. I feel like carrying a gun would just invite more trouble than it might theoretically prevent

Yeah. Do not do this. I have lately been considering the addition of a machete to one of my front forks. I pulled over to take a picture the other day and a guy strolled up figeting with his pants and I was like "SERIOUSLY THIS BULLSHIT AGAIN?!" luckily a death glare was enough to divert his path. Andrea got creeped on the other day and we've heard harassment is worse in South America than Central. It's weird because I would say MOST men down here are pretty progressive and treat us like human beings, but even if only 10% just see a walking glitter oval office it's enough that all you seem to see and hear is leering and a chorus of "MONA!!! Mona!". ("Lovely woman", but literally "female monkey". Not kidding.)

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
How satisfied are you with the DRZ?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

epalm posted:

How satisfied are you with the DRZ?

Generally I think our bikes do alright for being old (Mine is 2005, Andrea's is 2002) and relatively small for the miles we put on them. The charging system is a weak point though and seeing as the stators on BOTH OF OUR BIKES poo poo the bed and are currently being rewrapped, I'm feeling a little less great about them at the moment. We'll see if the rewrap fixes it to the end of the earth. Supposedly they will be higher output, better, stronger, faster and all that jazz. We shall see.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Whoo-hoo! Left it loading for like 15 hours, but finally the next episode is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VsFHJhE8mM

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 27, 2014

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I don't think I'd ever have the self confidence to put videos of myself naked on Youtube so hats off to you both.

Here's a fixed link to the video, yours doesn't seem to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VsFHJhE8mM

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's some great street art! Love to see the really detailed murals rather than the usual lame-rear end tagging you often see.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm currently in Nicaragua on my bike and will be headed through the Darien Gap soon. My internet access has been rather slow and spotty as of late, so I'm not able to get your videos to load.

Could you give me the scoop you guys found on getting across safely and economically, and how things went once you did get into Columbia as far as processing yourselves in? I think you guys are the most recent to cross that I've seen posting, so your info would be great since I hope to be there within the next 2 months on my V-Strom.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Pimping Giraffe posted:

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm currently in Nicaragua on my bike and will be headed through the Darien Gap soon. My internet access has been rather slow and spotty as of late, so I'm not able to get your videos to load.

Could you give me the scoop you guys found on getting across safely and economically, and how things went once you did get into Columbia as far as processing yourselves in? I think you guys are the most recent to cross that I've seen posting, so your info would be great since I hope to be there within the next 2 months on my V-Strom.

Thanks!

Awesome you're riding through Nicaragua now. Make sure to check out Ometepe Island it's incredible!

Here is some specific info on our website about crossing the Darien Gap:
http://blog.motoventuring.com/?page_id=803

If you have any other questions about getting from Panama to Colombia let us know :)

We finally have decent internet! Enjoy our latest video about Colombia :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c6-kgF3zQc

• Locked thread