Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
What?! It's summer and there isn't one active motorcycle trip blog?! Well, if for whatever reason you are confined to the small radius around your town this season, I am here to help! I'm offering you an opportunity to live vicariously through me as I ride a 2005 Suzuki DRZ400 from Alaska to South America!

This is my biggest moto adventure to date and I'm doing things a bit differently this time by making videos as I go.
I made this little intro to tell you about the trip.

My plan is to collect ideas, destinations, questions and challenges from you guys as I go to make it an interactive experience and hopefully more fun and interesting for everyone. :)

I'm flying into Alaska, buying a bike and embarking from Fairbanks on July 20th (just a couple days!) so please post some ideas and challenges up on this thread or YouTube and I'll do my best to incorporate as many as possible! I have about a month and a half for Alaska and the west coast and I'm factoring about a year for the whole trip, so the pace should have room for lots of side adventures! The very awesome ambihelical hexnut will be joining me for the Alaska leg and my friend Andrea will be riding South with me from San Diego.

I look forward to some weird, funny and creative ideas only the minds of goons could conjure up!
Ready? Let's do this thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9CvtDf-mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ride the top of the world highway after the border closes. Get some gas in dawson and just ride it back and forth knowing there's no traffic around.

Say hi to Z3n and I when you're in the california area. I can show you some nice fire roads in the mendocino NF.

Get gas at every station even if you don't need it when you're in alaska. Stations close early or run out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hooray, Becktastic is back!

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
i'm sure you've seen this already - http://www.expeditionsouth.com/ - the guy did the same thing you're doing. his blog might have some good ideas.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Pie Colony posted:

i'm sure you've seen this already - http://www.expeditionsouth.com/ - the guy did the same thing you're doing. his blog might have some good ideas.

Huh nope wow I had no idea! I'll definitely check that out. Man, any time you think you have an original idea, somebody has already done it! I do think it's the nature of overland travel though that our experiences will be different enough not to feel like a deja vu. Or at least I hope so!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you pass through the Humboldt/Arcata area, stop at Redwood Curtain for a couple beers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, what a ride! Will be great to follow. No tips or challenges yet apart from good luck, stay safe and have fun!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No advice besides have fun, drop by if you're in my neighbourhood, and if you end up needing mechanical stuff in my area, my garage is always open :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That'll be awesome. If you pass through Seattle and need mechanical assistance or a couch to sleep on, the we have plenty of space and tools.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

MotoMind posted:

Ride the top of the world highway after the border closes. Get some gas in dawson and just ride it back and forth knowing there's no traffic around.

Say hi to Z3n and I when you're in the california area. I can show you some nice fire roads in the mendocino NF.

Get gas at every station even if you don't need it when you're in alaska. Stations close early or run out.

Thanks for the tips! And if I show up with the border closed I'll at least do some donuts to honor you! :P

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hooray, Becktastic is back!

Thanks for the support! ^_^

If you pass through the Humboldt/Arcata area, stop at Redwood Curtain for a couple beers.

Noted! I have a friend who just moved up there, so there's a good chance I'll pop by there!

Ola posted:

Wow, what a ride! Will be great to follow. No tips or challenges yet apart from good luck, stay safe and have fun!

Z3n posted:

No advice besides have fun, drop by if you're in my neighbourhood, and if you end up needing mechanical stuff in my area, my garage is always open :)

Spiffness posted:

That'll be awesome. If you pass through Seattle and need mechanical assistance or a couch to sleep on, the we have plenty of space and tools.

Thanks so much you guys! Hopefully I won't need the mechanical help, but it's great to know where I can find it if I do! And couches to crash are always appreciated. :):

I'm waiting for James (ambihelical hexnut) to ride up and meet me tonight and after a salmon feast, we'll hopfully be hitting the Dalton Highway in the morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWsebl7WAI

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Much love! Hope for lots of cool things to see and to do on the way. :)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

How are getting past the Darien Gap ?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Isn't there a ferry now?

edit: nm, no ferry

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

KARMA! posted:

Much love! Hope for lots of cool things to see and to do on the way. :)

Thanks! I'm sure there will be no shortage of awesomeness! Alaska is freaking gorgeous even when nothing is happening! I'm actually really loving the almost all daylight thing too. I feel so energized and like I can get a lot done...plus it's easy to abide my "No riding after dark" rule. :)

Retarded Pimp posted:

How are getting past the Darien Gap ?

never happy posted:

Isn't there a ferry now?

edit: nm, no ferry

No ferry, but you can charter a boat. Andrea has promised to blow a sea captain and grant us free passage. :P

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
James and I take on the Dalton Highway...Part 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_McUg1-3jk

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
...dun dun dun...

When's part 2?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Seeing this for the first time, this looks kick rear end. Good luck and safe travels to yall, and as has been stated, if yall find yourselves in my part of Central TX my garage and beer are yours.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Likewise. If you come down the Alberta side and end up around Lethbridge (about 1 hour from Glacier and the US line) I should have a garage, repair facilities and a bed/shower available for you two.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

slidebite posted:

Likewise. If you come down the Alberta side and end up around Lethbridge (about 1 hour from Glacier and the US line) I should have a garage, repair facilities and a bed/shower available for you two.

Thank you mucho! I don't think we're planning to head through that way on this trip, but maybe if I do, and I break down again, I'll hit you up haha. :)

Korwen posted:

Seeing this for the first time, this looks kick rear end. Good luck and safe travels to yall, and as has been stated, if yall find yourselves in my part of Central TX my garage and beer are yours.

Thank you! I don't think I'll be headed through there since I'm going down the coast to San Diego to switch out riding buddies for mi amiga Andrea, but James will be heading through Texas on his way back home to the Austin area, so maybe he'll run into you. :)

nsaP posted:

...dun dun dun...

When's part 2?

Right...now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or22ErxrieY

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

drat, that looked pretty rough. Thanks for the update, now we can live out another slice of our Adv fantasies vicariously through you vids.

Really though, good luck you guys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Becktastic posted:

Thank you mucho! I don't think we're planning to head through that way on this trip, but maybe if I do, and I break down again, I'll hit you up haha. :)
haha holy poo poo. I know exactly where you were!

Whelp, let me know if you do need a hand. Mrs. Slidebite would almost certainly not mind and you wouldn't be the first couple of dirty, smelly, overtired Americans to drop by :)

Edit: And you taught me something; I had no idea Warner even had a hotel and bar!

Double edit: That Mark fellow in your photo looks super familiar to me, but I just can't place him. Did he say what he did as his normal job?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Looking forward to updates on your adventure. This is my new favorite thread in CA. :)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Becktastic posted:

Thank you! I don't think I'll be headed through there since I'm going down the coast to San Diego to switch out riding buddies for mi amiga Andrea, but James will be heading through Texas on his way back home to the Austin area, so maybe he'll run into you. :)

Oh kick rear end, if this is home for him he probably doesn't need a place to stay :v: I'll buy him a beer to hear some stories though, or maybe find another local riding buddy.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Retarded Pimp posted:

drat, that looked pretty rough. Thanks for the update, now we can live out another slice of our Adv fantasies vicariously through you vids.

Really though, good luck you guys.

Thanks! And glad I can help. :)

slidebite posted:

haha holy poo poo. I know exactly where you were!

Whelp, let me know if you do need a hand. Mrs. Slidebite would almost certainly not mind and you wouldn't be the first couple of dirty, smelly, overtired Americans to drop by :)

Edit: And you taught me something; I had no idea Warner even had a hotel and bar!

Double edit: That Mark fellow in your photo looks super familiar to me, but I just can't place him. Did he say what he did as his normal job?

It's a classy establishment!

Fake edit: Based on internet stalkerage I think he owns a trucking company? I got the idea he raced a lot though.

Stugazi posted:

Looking forward to updates on your adventure. This is my new favorite thread in CA. :)

Aww thank you. :) It's a lot of work to do these while on the road but your comment helped motivate me to make another one today!

Korwen posted:

Oh kick rear end, if this is home for him he probably doesn't need a place to stay :v: I'll buy him a beer to hear some stories though, or maybe find another local riding buddy.

Yeah I was wondering if Central Texas meant Austin area too. But hey, maybe he'll break down right in front of your door before getting back to his house? :P

And heeeerrreee's the Dalton Return!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGVD8xo3h1c

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is awesome and promises to be better than that Ewen MacGregor thing.

For the love of God, be safe. I want to see this whole thing come to fruition.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wow, this is gonna be an amazing trip! Best of luck. I'll be looking forward to following along through thus thread!

Edit: when you get to northern CA, make sure to visit Big Basin state park to see the redwoods. Some of my favorite roads to ride are in the Santa Cruz mountains, too!

Day Man fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 4, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Another Northern California tip:

If/when you pass through Arcata, Wildberries Marketplace is a good spot to fill up on food. Lots of hippy dippy bulk dried stuff, good produce, and crafty beer.

It's at 747 13th St, a block off Hwy 101.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This is awesome! Looking forward to following the updates on this one.

Have you read any other experiences of people doing this trip? http://homeonthehighway.com/route-info/ came to mind when I read your plans. Their experiences at a lot of South American borders looked pretty intense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As someone who has lived pretty far north and has been on his share of roads like that, I do not envy you.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

This is awesome and promises to be better than that Ewen MacGregor thing.

For the love of God, be safe. I want to see this whole thing come to fruition.

Aww thanks :3: I'll be as safe as I can while still having a retarded amount of fun. :haw:

Day Man posted:

Wow, this is gonna be an amazing trip! Best of luck. I'll be looking forward to following along through thus thread!

Edit: when you get to northern CA, make sure to visit Big Basin state park to see the redwoods. Some of my favorite roads to ride are in the Santa Cruz mountains, too!

I definitely want to. I've ridden up there before, but the dirt road to go ride through the giants was under construction and they wouldn't let me through. :(:

Another Northern California tip:

If/when you pass through Arcata, Wildberries Marketplace is a good spot to fill up on food. Lots of hippy dippy bulk dried stuff, good produce, and crafty beer.

It's at 747 13th St, a block off Hwy 101.

Good tip! We'll check it out. We've been surviving on dried food since our campstove started on fire. :haw:

hot sauce posted:

This is awesome! Looking forward to following the updates on this one.

Have you read any other experiences of people doing this trip? http://homeonthehighway.com/route-info/ came to mind when I read your plans. Their experiences at a lot of South American borders looked pretty intense.

Haven't seen that one before, he's a hilarious writer! I have read a lot of accounts of many people becoming nearly homicidal after the Honduras border and then wanting to blaze through the whole country and get out as soon as possible, but I'm trying to set my expectations really REALLY low and walk away with my sanity intact. I've been to Honduras backpacking not too long ago and I enjoyed myself. I'm looking forward to exploring on the bike away from the borders and major cities and getting a true taste of the country.

slidebite posted:

As someone who has lived pretty far north and has been on his share of roads like that, I do not envy you.

Yeah but at least I have a dual sport. I pity anyone riding on street tires up here and anything with less suspension. Even if you stick to the paved roads, there's enough road construction to make a dual sport worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRlpijeJC9Y

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that was a moose :)

If you like Hot Springs, make sure you stop at Liard Hot Springs in Northern BC.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This is awesome! Welcome back Becks.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Great thread; I'm definitely living vicariously through you guys. You mentioned San Diego so I assume you'll be rolling through the LA area at some point - PM me if you need a stopover. The family Casa has tools/motorcycle jack/guest bed/etc, and there's also the Mount Wilson Observatory up Angeles Crest for a local flavor moto-daytrip. If you're just smashing through and want to seize a beer or food somewhere I'm up for that too.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Hello from Dawson City! Becktastic and I just rolled into Canada, videos to follow. I thought I'd take a moment to document the modest list of equipment failures or breakages we've experienced on the trip thus far:

Bilt ADV Helmets: Becky and I each bought one of the Cyclegear Bilt adventure helmets with built in sun visor before the trip. My normal lid is a Shoei RF1100, but the dirt visor gives much more interesting opportunities for camera mounting and the extremely low price of these helmets ($99) made me go for it. My helmet had the slide-down sun visor fail on day 2 or 3, but I was able to repair it. Becky's helmet had the crush liner separate from the shell on one side (adhesive stuck, foam failed.) Both of our helmets have lost screws. We will be seeking out the nearest Cyclegear for immediate complaint once back in the lower 48.

Bilt Leather Street Gloves: I generally think of Bilt brand stuff as not so great, but I was on a trip earlier this summer using dirtbike gloves since I had crashed my normal street gauntlets and decided to get some cheap replacements at CG because of the five year warranty. In less than four months the plastic buckle on one glove has broken making it impossible to tighten around the wrist.

DRZ Tool Tube: As you may have seen in a recent video, Becky lost her tool tube somewhere on the Dalton highway due to the tube failing and breaking off, but the tools found their way home. :)

DRZ Idle: The DRZ has also recently developed a seemingly random high idle, as though the choke is on. Currently troubleshooting.

DRZ Windshield: The windshield almost came loose on the Dalton due to a screw vibrating out!

DRZ luggage rack: A few times now we've lost screws (even loctited ones!) out of the luggage rack on this bike.

Happy Trails Teton Panniers: My DR650 came with a set of these aluminum saddlebags which are pretty handy, but they've definitely shown some hard wear after only a few weeks. Each one has cracked welds on the top side of the box, the luggage racks are slowly bending, and the finish has worn from both box lids from abrasion by plastic gas cans. Sort of disappointing given the steep price but I suppose they haven't actually failed me yet.

DR650SE handlebar mounts: My DR also came with Renthal bars and Protaper risers mounted into the stock upper clamp. Neither of us has crashed this trip but we've both tipped over a few times due to heavily loaded bikes and too-long sidestands, and my bars now sit crooked since the mounts are bent from tipping over.

DR650SE surging and backfiring: I discovered that my bike, at low to mid throttle openings and high RPM, would stutter and backfire like crazy. Upon adjusting the valves I found both exhaust valves to be waaaaaay too tight. I adjusted them to the loose end of the acceptable range. Now she runs like a top and has the loudest, clackiest valves I've ever heard!

Camalapse 3: I bought this just before the trip to do some sweet time lapse panning videos and it didn't survive the first week. I used it maybe 5 times with my gopro and it simply stopped working. Cool while it lasts, but I figured that kitchen timer technology would've been durable enough by now to last more than a week.

GoPro 3 Issues: We both have these cameras; her's a white and mine a black. They've each had their issues, but mine has experienced a ton of crashing when used with particular micro SD cards which took a few days to diagnose. Most current firmware is in place, and I definitely have two recommendations for anyone traveling with a GoPro 3: test it out ahead of time and bring extra batteries.

ProCycle ATV Tank Bag: This was a cheapo saddlebag that sits under and across the gas cap of your tank and has adhesive backed velcro to stick to both sides of your tank. As expected the velcro failed on day one and if my legs don't keep the bag sides pinned at freeway speeds they will float up in the wind. Useful and cheap bag otherwise.

Thermarest Sleeping Pad: So far one of our sleeping pads has been punctured and doesn't hold air. :(

I guess the moral of the story is buy good stuff the first time, but still be ready when it fails. :confused:

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Glad to hear your trip has been trouble free! :haw:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have that tank bag too. It is great if you are cruising around some land on your bike doing some work or just riding offroad slowly, but as soon as you hit concrete and get going it flies up. I just gave up on it for anything involving pavement.

I saw those BILT helmets the other day and thought they would be good for riding to work. I go in when it is dark but leave when it is bright so I liked the built in sun visor, but now I know to steer clear.

Great thread by the way, enjoy the adventure. I don't know if El Salvador is in the plans, but that was my favorite place in Central America (on a motorcycle free trip)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I forgot to include a couple more Suzuki failures. You'd think they could design an inexpensive bike whose moving driveline parts can survive eight years without maintenance, but noooo:

DRZ Chain and bearing seals: On the Dalton the DRZ's 2005 vintage chain revealed that all of its O-rings were toast, it stretched out so much it almost came off, and we had to limp it home on the tightest setting just to prevent that. Changing the chain revealed that the rear bearing seals were also shot, so Becktastic changed them both. Yay road maintenance!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

DRZ Chain and bearing seals

Get with the program buddy, we already knew about that long ago!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Simmer down, ya Diamond Tooth Gerty! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is awesome! Welcome back Becks.

Thanks! :D

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Great thread; I'm definitely living vicariously through you guys. You mentioned San Diego so I assume you'll be rolling through the LA area at some point - PM me if you need a stopover. The family Casa has tools/motorcycle jack/guest bed/etc, and there's also the Mount Wilson Observatory up Angeles Crest for a local flavor moto-daytrip. If you're just smashing through and want to seize a beer or food somewhere I'm up for that too.

I don't have PM's but if you can shoot me your contact info at thebecktastic at gmail dot com, I'll hit you up when I'm coming through your city. :)

Next episode up! It's impossible to catch up all the way I think, we can ride much faster than we can upload and edit! So we're in Carmacks in the Yukon now, heading to Watson Lake today and then blazing South. We nabbed some Burning Man tickets for a last hurrah to the Northern chunk of the trip! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHw3DVBZFc

• Locked thread