Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boon posted:

I actually looked this up because it's too stunning to me. Goddamn.

It's actually not very surprising. Obama doesn't need to veto legislation because he can have Harry Reid do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Joementum posted:

It's actually not very surprising. Obama doesn't need to veto legislation because he can have Harry Reid do that instead.

I think he's stunned by the Act itself. It is a pretty galling piece of legislation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of galling, what are the odds the GOP is going to try for another government shutdown this year?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of galling, what are the odds the GOP is going to try for another government shutdown this year?

They won't do it before the elections because the deck is already stacked in their favor. If it will happen again it will be in 2015.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

computer parts posted:

They won't do it before the elections because the deck is already stacked in their favor. If it will happen again it will be in 2015.

During the primary season of the 2016 elections, perhaps? People like Cruz looking to put their odious face on newspapers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Ryan-Murray agreement in December locked in a two year deal on the budget.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

anonumos posted:

I think he's stunned by the Act itself. It is a pretty galling piece of legislation.

Can you explain how? From reading descriptions of it seems that it could be kinda bad, but only cause it got vetoed and its from republicans. So is it a matter of the details in it or was it named the exact opposite of what does?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Communist Zombie posted:

Can you explain how? From reading descriptions of it seems that it could be kinda bad, but only cause it got vetoed and its from republicans. So is it a matter of the details in it or was it named the exact opposite of what does?

It would have made it significantly easier for banks to continue the mortgage robosigning practices because they could find whatever county had the loosest notary public requirements in the nation and set up a big robosigning shop there for every piece of loan documentation.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

It was basically an act to require federal and state courts to recognize any notarized document that another state had recognized. This includes (and was intended to mainly be for the use of) making foreclosure with bullshit robosigned foreclosure documents easier.

e: Beaten by Joementum of course

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Joementum posted:

True, but the House GOP is stalling the appropriations process. The money is available to spend, but they're refusing to lay out a plan to spend it.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Joementum posted:

It would have made it significantly easier for banks to continue the mortgage robosigning practices because they could find whatever county had the loosest notary public requirements in the nation and set up a big robosigning shop there for every piece of loan documentation.

Wait Notary requirements are a county thing, atleast in some some states?! Holy crap that is terrible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Communist Zombie posted:

Wait Notary requirements are a county thing, atleast in some some states?! Holy crap that is terrible.

The point is that you have to get someone local to the matter at hand involved with the legal paperwork.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Notaries are usually licensed through the county clerk after meeting state-based requirements, so it's not hard to imagine a world in which every mortgage in America gets processed through New Castle County, DE.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

For Oblammo to actually veto something first Congress would need to actually pass something.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For Oblammo to actually veto something first Congress would need to actually pass something.

I'll have you know that our hardworking Congresspeople have passed multiple Save America and End Obamacare bills that Reid and Obama refuse to debate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

The nuts were talking about doing one in September in the aftermath of the Cantor primary upset

Joementum posted:

What are they looking to use for leverage September 30th then?

Communist Zombie posted:

It fast tracked foreclosures. Given the massive foreclosure fraud that was and still is ongoing, it is a bad idea

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

The nuts were talking about doing one in September in the aftermath of the Cantor primary upset

What are they looking to use for leverage September 30th then?

It's possible, just possible, that the Tea Party strategists have miscalculated.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You guys see the news about one of the original Obamacare architects, Jonathan Gruber, saying that he agreed with conservatives that the subsidies wouldn't be available for states that didn't have an exchange? Gruber's saying he misspoke and I have no reason to doubt him. But here's the thing. The right-wing echo chamber is gloating like crazy about this smoking gun. The problem though, is that, if we assume this was the original intent, than that would mean Obama and his Dem minions intentionally wanted LESS people dependent on government subsidies. It completely obliterates one of their own dumbass, widely held, talking points.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

It's possible, just possible, that the Tea Party strategists have miscalculated.

Or its the lack of appropriations.

Mr Interweb posted:

You guys see the news about one of the original Obamacare architects, Jonathan Gruber, saying that he agreed with conservatives that the subsidies wouldn't be available for states that didn't have an exchange? Gruber's saying he misspoke and I have no reason to doubt him. But here's the thing. The right-wing echo chamber is gloating like crazy about this smoking gun. The problem though, is that, if we assume this was the original intent, than that would mean Obama and his Dem minions intentionally wanted LESS people dependent on government subsidies. It completely obliterates one of their own dumbass, widely held, talking points.

Yeah. Legally speaking it is nothing. Politically speaking it depends how much they can make it fly.

And lets not act like consistency in talking points is part of being a Republican

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So is there an appropriations act for beyond September 30 2014 or are we just going to play it by ear again and hope people don't listen to Ted Cruz?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Christian Science Monitor and others are reporting that Obama may be looking into executive amnesty of illegal immigrants. Needless to say, right wing news and opinion is gearing up to denounce his executive overreach and , if the White House is right, demand impeachment if he does.

It looks like it'll be an interesting weekend.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Maybe I am too optimistic but wouldn't trying to impeach the president lead to a huge rev up of the democratic party base in the elections.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Though the first link you posted states that if Obama were to make this decision that it wouldn't be until Summer's end.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pappyland posted:

Though the first link you posted states that if Obama were to make this decision that it wouldn't be until Summer's end.

Of course, but you might as well spin up the right wing hate machine now and keep it on full blast (see Sessions's call to "melt Congressional phone lines" over the issue in the fourth link) until Obama is deported back to Kenya is removed from office as befits a Democratic treasonous Nixon slumps his shoulders in defeat and lets the Republicans have their way.

The weekend bit is because it'll be fun if this indeed blows up and basically dominates the Sunday talk shows.

EDIT: I mean I lifted every one of those links from the current top Drudge headline, so I suspect they're already trying to get this to gain traction in the right wing op/ed sphere as we speak.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 26, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Mr Interweb posted:

What I don't get is that if it was the intention of Obama and dems that people on state exchanges wouldn't get subsidies... why are people on state exchanges getting subsidies?

Oh, and of course, why wasn't anyone warning people about this in the run up to passing the bill?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Maybe I am too optimistic but wouldn't trying to impeach the president lead to a huge rev up of the democratic party base in the elections.

It would be a good move for Obama actually specifically because it's something Reagan also did. If the impeachment may be incoming anyway, might as well choose your ground.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe if Obama submitted the Simpson-Mazzoli act and scratch out "Ronald Reagan" and sign it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It would be a good move for Obama actually specifically because it's something Reagan also did. If the impeachment may be incoming anyway, might as well choose your ground.

They've been heading off the "But Reagan..." slam for a while by occasionally and obliquely framing it as Reagan's one mistake on talk radio.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

They've been heading off the "But Reagan..." slam for a while by occasionally and obliquely framing it as Reagan's one mistake on talk radio.

Yeah. Of course, nobody tried to impeach Reagan for his one mistake, either.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah. Of course, nobody tried to impeach Reagan for his one mistake, either.

Raising taxes in 1982?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Do it Obama, sign full amnesty, and do it in the name of the great Ronnie Raygun; Republicans can't hate you anymore than they already do. As for Republicans, do it you assholes, impeach Obama. I'm looking forward to Hillary's impeachment in 2022 if this is really gonna become a regular thing.:allears:

Yep, gently caress it, if the right's gonna idolize Reagan, we might as well use it.

Seriously, do it you dumb motherfuckers, impeach Obama for doing what Reagan did ~30 years ago, and make sure it's right before the Midterms for maximum hilarity/Democratic seat gain.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 26, 2014

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Oh, and of course, why wasn't anyone warning people about this in the run up to passing the bill?

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like highly paid lying lawyers scoured the law for slightly ambiguous language and then lied about how it is an issue and lied about how it might be confusing because there is no punishment for lying in this context, only benefits.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mister Adequate posted:

bin Laden was actually a huge dickhead who played a major part in the most harmful event to happen on American soil in sixty years and anyone who wasn't celebrating his death is either his friend or a holier-than-thou douchebag.

Bin Laden started the "war on drugs"?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

http://www.citationmachine.net/ doesn't beg you for money constantly or paywall APA.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

effectual posted:

Bin Laden started the "war on drugs"?

that scoundrel tricked dubya into going into war in iraq

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

moller posted:

http://www.citationmachine.net/ doesn't beg you for money constantly or paywall APA.

Awesome, thank you!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

Surprise the comments were taken out of context

quote:

That seems to suggest he agrees with the recent court ruling. But he actually disagrees with the ruling. Indeed he seems to regard the ruling as ludicrous. That doesn’t look good. Until you realize that the quote was taken out of context, and that the comments immediately preceding the quote tells a very different story: “Yes, so these health insurance exchanges . . . will be these new shopping places and they’ll be the place that people go to get their subsidies for health insurance. In the law it says if the states don’t provide them the federal backstop will. The federal government has been sort of slow in putting up its backstop in part because I think they want to sort of squeeze the states to do it.”

That seems to imply the federal backstops would provide health subsidies. So how can we reconcile these two statements? I believe Gruber was trying to say that the federal government was being slow in setting up the exchanges, because until they did so, those states without state exchanges would get no subsidy. Once the federal exchanges were set up, they would all get the subsidy.

What I don’t understand is why commenters were providing me with the quote on top, but not the second quote, which provides important context.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

moller posted:

It's also wrong. Please just go pirate the appropriate style manuals.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

It's also wrong. Please just go pirate the appropriate style manuals.

How is Citation Machine wrong? I had multiple profs tell my classes to use that site to create citations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Fuckin' APA, MLA or :frogout:

• Locked thread