Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Metalbender guards are pretty hardcore, their the first no-names to put up a fight against the planeteers of evil.

I assume they want Korra for the element of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
As what I've wanted to see most ever since her reintroduction is a Zhu Li fight scene, I was hoping she'd chip in this time. I wonder if she's lives up to the "cold, heartless war machine" moniker that Varrick gave her last season.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If we were still on the 2 episode schedule that cliffhanger would have been resolved by now :argh:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

If we were still on the 2 episode schedule that cliffhanger would have been resolved by now :argh:

I completely forgot it was Friday and missed it, but suddenly I'm not as bothered by missing a cliffhanger setup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Even after 3 seasons Korra still tries to punch through everything. Metal wall shoots up from the floor? Rather then bend it back down she just tries to punch a hole in it.

Uh, she punched a hole in it and then used that hole to help her new metalbending break through. She wasn't just punching randomly. She even explained that she's still new at it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

This happened already with the Original Nickelodeon Studios.

The time capsule is still there. :negative:

Nah, they dug it up (But not opened it!) when they tore the place down. It's at the Nickelodeon Suites Resort now, still waiting to be opened on April 30th, 2042. :)

The same can't be said for the Slime Geyser, however. :smith:

Pretty good episode, though. I'm not going to miss watching stuff on the network directly, honestly. I've had more than my fill of Grumpy Cat plugging Honey-Nut Cheerios and witnessing the last few minutes of Nick's Not Wizards of Not Waverly Place before the show begins. I say good on them to moving the show to a platform I prefer anyway.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nickelodeon back in the day was freaking great. A shame it fell hard. I miss Double Dare, Wild and Crazy Kids and all those weird shows.

Boy, saying that makes me feel old. :bahgawd:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Seeing how she despises the 'innate' authority of the Earth Queen, Su Yin wanting to get rid of the Avatar makes perfect sense. To her, the Avatar is someone granted power from on high, interfering in the affairs of 'regular' humans.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

AshB posted:

I wonder how Ai Wei even knows the Red Lotus team. Team Avatar came to Zaofu pretty randomly. Yet somehow, in one random city Korra goes to, Red Lotus has an insider? Weird.

Much like the White Lotus used to be a legitimate secret society, the Red Lotus could actually be a global pro-...something... network, and the current Red Quartet baddies are just the leaders/a particularly nasty leadership cell of the network.

Or they just have a bunch of allies in odd places with unique abilities. Not that unheard of for this universe, although presumably exactly why someone would be so deeply allied with them would become clear if we knew something about the Red Lotus's cause other than Capture the Avatar/Be the Airbending Mystic.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That was a pretty great sequence, but seriously is anyone actually sitting down and telling Bolin the whole "feel the earth in the metal" idea? I mean yes he was eavesdropping on Korra so I guess he would've heard it but from the way he's reacting around metal, I don't think he gets it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AshB posted:

But how could he possibly have known Zaheer and co. would find them there? I don't think Zaheer gained the spiritual projection power until he raided the Air Temple.

I'm pretty sure non benders can enter the spirit world. Are the gurus exclusively benders? I thought the guy that Aang met was a non-bender.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure non benders can enter the spirit world. Are the gurus exclusively benders? I thought the guy that Aang met was a non-bender.

I'm not sure why that matters. I'm saying Zaheer didn't know how to enter the spirit world until he got some info about the guru's teachings at the Air Temple. If he could've done it before that, there was no reason for him to go to the Air Temple without scoping it out first.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

That was a pretty great sequence, but seriously is anyone actually sitting down and telling Bolin the whole "feel the earth in the metal" idea? I mean yes he was eavesdropping on Korra so I guess he would've heard it but from the way he's reacting around metal, I don't think he gets it.

The show seemed more interested in showing us that Bolin's lack of confidence is what holds him back from taking his Earthbending to the next level. He's clearly a pretty good Earthbender and a really good shot, but he seems dead set on declaring all forms of bending innovation above his level. I'm sure someone could yell "feel the earth in the metal" at him a thousands times and he wouldn't get it, exactly because of the way he's reacting around metal.

Stuff like this is why I'm so pleased with this Book. They seem really interested in covering some prevously unexplored depths for all the characters without wallowing in them.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
That's a great point about Bolin. It jives very well with his bringing out his inner goon when he meets Opal because he's too insecure to be himself. In its subtle ways, they're having a pretty good arc for him here. They just need at least one episode where they really focus on him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Much like the White Lotus used to be a legitimate secret society, the Red Lotus could actually be a global pro-...something... network, and the current Red Quartet baddies are just the leaders/a particularly nasty leadership cell of the network.
I'm standing by my 'Red Lotus are a splinter group of white Lotus who prefer more violent means to the end' theory.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Blah, doublepost. Thanks firefox.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Zaheer and co. obviously met the truthseer guy at a Weird and Advanced Bending Techniques Meeting.

It is definitely weird that Lin's sister sent Team Avatar off by themselves shortly after they were attacked by a group they barely fended off with a big group of guards and Lin's family on their home turf. Zaheer will definitely capture her and give her the whole spiel about whatever, because there always has to be a part near the end of the season where Korra is off on her own at the mercy of dark forces.

Also I was glad to see a faceless goon actually be effective in a fight against the bad guys for once. Even though this was only half as much screen time as we've been getting lately it felt like some important stuff actually happened. It really is a shame the show is getting tanked by the network just when it was getting consistently good.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
If they bent the metal around the bad guy's bodies instead of just boxing them in they would've been captured. It's not like they're gonna turn it into molten wires against their skin.

I'm betting it's a false flag operation.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Silynt posted:

As what I've wanted to see most ever since her reintroduction is a Zhu Li fight scene, I was hoping she'd chip in this time. I wonder if she's lives up to the "cold, heartless war machine" moniker that Varrick gave her last season.

She's a nonbender, isn't she? What's she gonna do, pull out some chi-blocker moves or something?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Goddamn this was a great episode.

They're not gonna make Toph's daughter into a villain, y'all. In fact she did a great thing by sending the new Team Avatar on a mission to have adventures around the world, and I'm beyond excited to see what's gonna happen next.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

She's a nonbender, isn't she? What's she gonna do, pull out some chi-blocker moves or something?

Turns out she's a Terminator; when Varrick called her a "cold, heartless war machine" he was being literal. :v:

Seriously though, that fight sequence was amazing, probably the best one in both series so far what with all the poo poo going on.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I don't understand this whole digital only thing. Apparently now i am no longer able to watch Korra on nick.com, it now says "This is not avaliable in your location". Yet last season i was watching it seemingly fine.

Okay fine, Hulu isn't in Canada, i don't have an xbox the show, it doesn't come up on ether google play or amazon.

So uhh how do Canadians get to watch the show?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BrianWilly posted:

Where's she getting that water from, thin air? Immersion ruined. :colbert:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty okay with that. I'd like to see her fighting more than just one mook, but it looks pretty good.
It's not Korra if she isn't spamming fire everywhere! :v:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

BrianWilly posted:

Where's she getting that water from, thin air? Immersion ruined. :colbert:

no that looks pretty great

"The Puppet Master" showed that sufficiently advanced water benders could in fact pull water out of thin air.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In Nick's defense, if I was an advertising executive for a children's network, there are more than a few episodes of Korra that I would just have no idea what to do with.
"This week, ON KORRA! Lin is ON SHAKY GROUND as BURIED FEELINGS about her half-sister SURFACE! And a certain BLIND EARTHBENDER is back, and she CAN'T SEE any way to protect her children without LOSING SIGHT of her career!"

"This week, ON KORRA! Tarrlok's past is FLOODING BACK, as he tells Korra and Mako what drove him off THE DEEP END! Will they forgive him for what a big SPLASH he caused? Or will they THROW HIM TO THE WOLVES?! *shot of wolves being tortured with bloodbending*"

I know this is from a long time ago, but goddamn do I love this.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EagerSleeper posted:

I know this is from a long time ago, but goddamn do I love this.
Thank you!

So yeah, that action sequence perfectly established the Red Lotus as a powerful but fallible threat..

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Awesome episode. As for the behind the scenes drama lately, I'm not too concerned. The episodes will still be shown in one form or another and season 4 is already greenlit and in production. I'm just going to gush a bit on the little details I loved in this episode:

-Bolin gets some time to shine! At this point I'm fine either way with him metalbending or not. He's got a nice little arc developing so far. He could make a breakthrough at the last minute to save the day or end the season confident in himself despite not being a metalbender.

-Mako gets to show off some of his cop skills in finding the whole setup too suspicious. It's good to see the writers making some progress with his character.

-Speaking of the brothers, I loved seeing a bit of their mixed martial arts inspired probending style come through during the battle. Fists up, elbows in close, quick striking punches.

-That incredibly fluid sequence with P'li (Combustion Girl) noticing Lin and Su dropping in.

I think what particularly makes this season work is that despite the fact that the show is still heavily serialized, the individual episodes themselves are slightly more self contained compared with previous seasons with stronger episodic plots with beginning, middle, and ends. I feel like it's harder to pick out what happened in which episode from the previous two seasons from memory. Whereas it's much easier to remember 'Oh yeah this happened in this episode' this season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Superstring posted:

-Bolin gets some time to shine! At this point I'm fine either way with him metalbending or not. He's got a nice little arc developing so far. He could make a breakthrough at the last minute to save the day or end the season confident in himself despite not being a metalbender.

Someone had a theory a few pages back that in a few episodes Bolin is going to get separated from the group and bump into Toph without realizing it's actually her (ala Toph and Iroh from AtLA) and that she'll say or do something that will result in Bolin getting over his mental block and learning to metal bend. Considering how Bolin's idolization of Toph has come up several times now, and how much difficulty Bolin seems to be having learning from other people, I think it's totally plausible.

I'd also be pretty :3: to see Bolin and Toph on screen together.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Sydin posted:

Someone had a theory a few pages back that in a few episodes Bolin is going to get separated from the group and bump into Toph without realizing it's actually her (ala Toph and Iroh from AtLA) and that she'll say or do something that will result in Bolin getting over his mental block and learning to metal bend. Considering how Bolin's idolization of Toph has come up several times now, and how much difficulty Bolin seems to be having learning from other people, I think it's totally plausible.

I'd also be pretty :3: to see Bolin and Toph on screen together.

The problem with that theory is Bolin has seen like, 3 statues of Toph. Toph literally couldn't see Iroh.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Those were all statues of her when she was much younger than in the show, though. She could justifiably look pretty different.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Footage of the Platinum Korra game from Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

It looks easy, but the demo is probably on the 'I don't play character action games' setting.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
You know, with Korra already knowing metalbending and Bolin not having a knack for it (though that's obviously more his insecurity limiting him like usual thing) it'd be neat if he somehow figured out how Ghazan lavebends. He's half firebender, anyhow, and it'd make him more unique in the group and gives him something similar to Mako's lightningbending in that it's something Korra can't do.

It's much more likely he'll metalbend in a dire moment but, hey, fan speculation blah blah.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veotax posted:

It looks easy, but the demo is probably on the 'I don't play character action games' setting.

Yeah, that looks loving awesome. They basically just remade Metal Gear Rising but with bending powers.

Also it's a Platinum game I wouldn't worry about it being easy. Obviously there's a casual option since it's based on a kids show, but c'mon.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

t'd be neat if he somehow figured out how Ghazan lavebends. He's half firebender, anyhow, and it'd make him more unique in the group and gives him something similar to Mako's lightningbending in that it's something Korra can't do.

Wouldn't lava-bending just be high-friction earth bending? When they first introduced him doing that, I assumed he was just spinning the rocks really drat fast until they went molten. It's clearly an advanced/uncommon technique, but I wouldn't think he would need to fire bend to do it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

ultramiraculous posted:

Wouldn't lava-bending just be high-friction earth bending? When they first introduced him doing that, I assumed he was just spinning the rocks really drat fast until they went molten. It's clearly an advanced/uncommon technique, but I wouldn't think he would need to fire bend to do it.

I assumed it was phase shifting the earth in a reverse kind of way the waterbenders shift water to ice, but it requires a lot more power/is more difficult to do because there's a bigger difference between molten rock and solid rock than molten water and solid water. I can see the idea of friction because of how he makes those shurikens (condensing and spinning them around really fast) but that doesn't seem like how it went down when he just made a giant lava arena while fighting in the metal bending town.

I'm not saying he'd need to firebend to do it, per se, but it's thematic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have to admit that I've always wanted to see a waterbender punch blasts of superheated steam at someone!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Veotax posted:

Well this looks like it's gonna be fun as hell.

I've read somewhere that it'll be priced in the $15 range, which probably means it won't be very long, but should be pretty fun. The backgrounds are show-level gorgeous and while I'm sure some people will have issues with the cel shaded characters I think it matches the show pretty well.

[Edit: Wait, no Wii U version? Darn, what with it being Platinum and all I was assuming that they'd have a port, considering that they're the only third party that seems to give a poo poo about the Wii U anymore. I mean, I'll just get the PC version, but I was hoping to have an excuse to boot up my Wii U again before SSB drops.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 26, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

DrSunshine posted:

Have to admit that I've always wanted to see a waterbender punch blasts of superheated steam at someone!

Didn't Korra do that at one point in Book One? I remember her using waterbending to do something involving steam, at least.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well Manicured Man posted:

Didn't Korra do that at one point in Book One? I remember her using waterbending to do something involving steam, at least.

She does, in like episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You know, with Korra already knowing metalbending and Bolin not having a knack for it (though that's obviously more his insecurity limiting him like usual thing) it'd be neat if he somehow figured out how Ghazan lavebends. He's half firebender, anyhow, and it'd make him more unique in the group and gives him something similar to Mako's lightningbending in that it's something Korra can't do.
This is what I'm hoping for, just so the group has more diversity. Bolin seemed really impressed with the lavabending.

The leader of the first boss fight is an evil waterbender.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread